PDA

View Full Version : Question about virus scanner installation

HerLovingMother
04-03-2009, 03:34 PM
I previously had a version of Trend Micro installed on my computer, but it quit working without warning or explanation. I never really like it anyway, so I disabled it and tried AVG, which gave me problems. I found that Cox internet has a free online virus scanner from McAfee, and began to install that. Now I am receiving a message that I must remove AVG Anti-Virus 7.1 because it conflicts with McAfee. I cannot find AVG anywhere in add/remove programs... I have no trace of it on my computer, and I disabled it from FireFox (after finding the answer here about the warning message on opening FireFox.)

So, anyway, I'm finding this to be a real pain. Does anyone have any suggestiongs?

:smack:

HerLovingMother
04-03-2009, 04:20 PM
suggestiongs is Typonian for Suggestions.... :smack:

yoyodyne
04-03-2009, 11:06 PM
There's a removal tool available here (http://www.avg.com/download-tools).

HerLovingMother
04-04-2009, 12:09 AM
There's a removal tool available here (http://www.avg.com/download-tools).

Thank you so much. I was so sure it was going to work, but it's still telling me I need to remove it... I don't understand where this program could be residing on my computer. It's a ghost...? :confused:

HorseloverFat
04-04-2009, 12:11 AM
Reinstall AVG. Do a reboot if it asks. Once its installed properly then goto add/remove programs and remove it.

Also if trend micro is still on there, uninstall that first. Never have more than one AV on a computer.

Lastly, the installer for McAfee might be bugged and think AVG is on there when it isnt. If thats the case then you should try a different AV product, or try the current version of AVG. Supposedly theyve made some changes and that might work for you.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.