PDA

View Full Version : Glee - Premiere Episode 5/19/09

Mahaloth
05-19-2009, 08:44 PM
Meh.

Actually, worse than "meh". Not one funny joke in the whole first 40 minutes. Totally unfunny.

However, the upbeat glee club version of "Rehab" was very cute and funny.

Everything else is just.....tired.

ISiddiqui
05-19-2009, 09:05 PM
Wow... opposite reaction from you entirely.

I absolutely loved it. The deliciously evil cheerleader coach, the pot selling former glee club teacher, to the wife who is on her feet "4 hours a day, 3 days a week"! Coupled with some fun music and an underdog feel throughout... I'm hooked.

I'm just bummed I'll have to wait until fall.

BrandonR
05-19-2009, 09:06 PM
I didn't think it was THAT bad. I got a few laughs and I'm interested to see where it goes. I don't think you can ever properly judge a show by its pilot; after all, the pilot focuses on setting up the characters and story. Now with that done, I'm anxious to see where it goes.

Nutty Bunny
05-19-2009, 09:18 PM
Wow... opposite reaction from you entirely.

I absolutely loved it. The deliciously evil cheerleader coach, the pot selling former glee club teacher, to the wife who is on her feet "4 hours a day, 3 days a week"! Coupled with some fun music and an underdog feel throughout... I'm hooked.

I'm just bummed I'll have to wait until fall.

I loved it too and I'm disappointed that I'll have to wait until fall to see it again.

Clare de Loone
05-19-2009, 10:07 PM
I, too, enjoyed it.
I liked the various musical arrangements....was that Golliwog's Cakewalk they kept singing?
TV can do worse; I'd watch this again to see where it goes.

Tangent
05-19-2009, 10:12 PM
I liked it. The leads all played their parts well, especially the main girl and the main teacher. As a teacher myself, I can really identify with the conflict he faced about giving it up.

It was like the first act of a John Hughes 80's teen movie. It'll be interesting to see how it develops beyond that.

shy guy
05-19-2009, 10:13 PM
I thought it was kind of weird. I didn't laugh at all, but it was sort of endearing (I think? I'm not really sure) and there are a couple of cute guys in the cast (of this I am certain).

But I was just sort of confused, I guess. The show seems to me to be aiming for a quirky, colorful atmosphere like, I dunno, Ugly Betty or Pushing Daisies or something, but it sort of fell flat since, well, it wasn't funny or clever.

The atmosphere of the show is super gay, but the only gay character is one among a gallery of stereotypes, and what appear to be the two main characters are both straight white guys.

I liked the music a lot (downloaded "Don't Stop Believin'" and "Rehab" off iTunes when it was over), but I was really surprised by how lifeless the show itself felt.

I'll probably tune in when it comes back in the fall, but I can't imagine this show is going to last five minutes during a normal season. I'm predicting the usual slow, painful Fox death for it.

RandMcnally
05-20-2009, 12:14 AM
I thought it was a good show. The redhead was adorable. I can't wait for the season to start.

Glory
05-20-2009, 12:42 AM
Absolutely loved it!! But, I love musicals so I am probably the target audience.

BrandonR
05-20-2009, 01:31 AM
Wait what?! That was just a preview, and the real show isn't coming til Fall?

<looks up Wikipedia page and sees it'll actually air in September>

Well ain't that a bitch. I figure that will be just enough time for everyone to completely forget the show and all the hype/momentum Fox has built around it. Then again, I guess they were really determined for the show to be successful so they had to use American Idol as a lead-in before it wrapped up. I'm interested to see if their tactic will be successful or a failure.

Tom Tildrum
05-20-2009, 05:15 AM
My opinions echoes that of shy guy. I kept waiting for more to happen. None of the actors have any presence.

elfkin477
05-20-2009, 06:02 AM
So people who aren't big fans of High School Musical watched this? I'll be damned. I didn't think adults had any interest in it.

glee
05-20-2009, 06:07 AM
Can I claim royalties?

singular1
05-20-2009, 06:10 AM
I loved it! But my damn DVR cut off just before the end of Don't Stop Believin' (man, that song is getting to be a real pop culture touchstone these days). Can anyone tell me what I missed?

Salem
05-20-2009, 06:13 AM
Loved it, although I will admit I was working and had it on in the background so wasn't paying attention to every detail. Characters and plot were a bit contrived, but hey, it's tv and that's the way it goes. I'm just a sucker for the feeling of the show - - the whole underdog thing and the performances, which I thoroughly enjoyed. Just loved the one at the end. Feel good stuff, not critically-acclaimed, just "feel good". Can't wait for my high schooler to see it. She went to bed early and missed it. This is one we can definitely share, which is nice.

Sigmagirl
05-20-2009, 07:34 AM
I loved it. I wasn't looking for "jokes," just knowing performances, and I got them. The tag at the end said Fox will be rerunning it throughout the summer, so I will rewatch.

Dolores Reborn
05-20-2009, 08:08 AM
I missed most of it while I was walking the dogs, and came in to the do the dinner dishes. It was on in the other room and I really enjoyed the music. I'll probably check it out in the fall.

The few minutes I actually looked at the screen kinda reminded me of "Fame."

Winston Bongo
05-20-2009, 10:25 AM
While the show itself was pretty meh and predictable, I have to give them credit for actually coming up with a listenable version of Don't Stop Believin.' I've always found the original version incredibly irritating, but as a high school musical performance, it actually kind of works.

Captain Amazing
05-20-2009, 10:28 AM
The tag at the end said Fox will be rerunning it throughout the summer, so I will rewatch.

I thought the tag on the end said that Fox will be running it online throughout the summer. But, anyway, I liked it. It wasn't laugh out loud funny, but it was good.

FlightlessBird
05-20-2009, 11:24 AM
I watched it on hulu after seeing on this thread that except for the OP it was mostly well received.
I also enjoyed it. I think the show has a lot of heart. A LOT of it, but more heart than substance is what makes me feel it was lacking. I can always chalk that up to it being a premiere and spending so much time introducing us to the characters. But I won't know until Fall :( And bring more funny (not slapstick). I smiled at a few things, but only really laughed at the principal.

singular1 After they ended the song, Mr. Shuester walks up clapping and starts giving notes. -Are you staying? -yes
And then some images of the cheerios frowning and the other footballer turning his back on the proceedings...

Mr Shuester: "From the top."
-BLACK-

MaxTheVool
05-20-2009, 12:01 PM
I overall enjoyed it, but felt like it definitely had more heart than brain. A lot of the attempts at humor fell kinda flat, and the non-glee-club kids are WAY too stereotyped. The football team locks a kid in a wheelchair in an outhouse? Come ON.

On the plus side, all the actors seem really good, and many of the singing ones are straight from broadway. (The lead female glee-er, for isntance, originated the role of Wendla in Spring Awakening.) (Oh, and yes, the redhead is Charlie from Heroes.)

shy guy
05-20-2009, 12:35 PM
I overall enjoyed it, but felt like it definitely had more heart than brain. A lot of the attempts at humor fell kinda flat, and the non-glee-club kids are WAY too stereotyped. The football team locks a kid in a wheelchair in an outhouse? Come ON.
See, and I couldn't tell if the stereotypes were deliberately over-the-top in an ironic way, or if it was a legitimate lack of imagination. Because the blatant stereotypes didn't lead to anything funny or clever, I tend to think the latter.

Also, the glee club kids are just as stereotyped as the others. Fat black diva, waifish effeminate gay kid, disabled nerd, etc..

StGermain
05-20-2009, 12:42 PM
I liked it. I don't usually look for laugh-out-loud sitcom moments. Lines like "I'm on my feet 4 hours a day, 3 days a week", and the prinicipal making the teacher pay to use the auditorium when they could rent it out to alcoholics, were good. I saw the steroetyping as a tongue in cheek parody. I'll give it a look in the Fall.

StG

GrandWino
05-20-2009, 12:55 PM
(Oh, and yes, the redhead is Charlie from Heroes.)

I think she was also Henry's wife on Ugly Betty, no?

Also, the teacher's wife was on Heroes as Claire's bio-mom, Meredith, and Friday Night Lights as Tammy's sister.

voguevixen
05-20-2009, 08:42 PM
The football team locks a kid in a wheelchair in an outhouse? Come ON.

Excuse me, but when I went to Girl Scout camp as a kid I was locked in a latrine for half an hour by the "cool kids" until a counseler found me and then wasn't let into the cabin because "something stinks - PEE YEW!"

I was really moved by this show and was glad I TiVo'd it because I watched it a second time and caught a few things I missed the first time around (the whole pot angle - I must've been in the bathroom or something.) I did think there was a knee-slapper line when the "star" girl said "nobody likes me" and the director said "and you think being in Glee will help that?!" lol...I was bawling by the end though and loved how the mullet lawn-care guy tied everything together. Brilliant.

btw, anyone who can't commit to hulu can see the extended trailer here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNU0KoBIIdE

ISiddiqui
05-20-2009, 09:17 PM
I saw the steroetyping as a tongue in cheek parody.

Same here. I'm surprised anyone couldn't see the parody.

Monstre
05-20-2009, 10:45 PM
I, too, enjoyed it.
I liked the various musical arrangements....was that Golliwog's Cakewalk they kept singing?
Yep -- recognized that one immedaitely, as I played that piano piece way back when, probably around high school.

Also, the teacher's wife was on Heroes as Claire's bio-mom, Meredith, and Friday Night Lights as Tammy's sister.
Jessalyn Gilsig. She was also one of the main teachers back on Boston Public, at least for the first season and a half, or so.

JSexton
05-20-2009, 11:54 PM
I thought it was terrific. Slightly surreal, slightly a parody of High School Musical, yet will probably appeal to fans of those movies as well.

baronsabato
05-21-2009, 02:32 AM
Damn, I missed it. Maybe I'll download it on iTunes or something. I was in show choir in high school (which is pretty much what "Glee" is about), and all my old friends got super excited when the preview for this came out. We had a lot of fun talking about how much they got right.

"On My Own" from "Les Mis" as an audition song? Check.
"You're the One That I Want"? Check. That was actually one of the songs WE did our year for competition.
Flashy big show choir with lots of pretty people intimidating the little show choir that could? Check (and let's just say we kicked ass our year, despite being smaller and less flashy!).

Anyway. I'm getting nostalgic just thinking about it. Sigh.

By the way, most of our guys were straight, and as far as I know, still are. We actually had a bunch of football/soccer jocks in our group who just liked to sing, and a lot of others who wanted to boost up their college applications. The gayness of it all wasn't really a big issue for most of them. So that's yet another thing that Glee! got right. :-)

corkboard
05-21-2009, 07:57 AM
Wow- I thought it was incredibly bad. I couldn't watch more than 15 minutes of it.

I guess I'm not the target audience, or something.

Meatros
05-21-2009, 09:36 AM
Aren't the writers of Nip Tuck involved in this? I watched the first episode and I'm looking for set ups and such.

I'm hoping this will be a Nip-Tuck moral depravity exposed type show....

It's Not Rocket Surgery!
05-21-2009, 10:09 AM
I think she was also Henry's wife on Ugly Betty, no?

Plus Stephen Tobolowsky (who played the former glee club director, now pot dealer) was Bob on Heroes. But he's in everything.

Did I miss any other Heroes alumni?

Tangent
05-21-2009, 10:14 AM
Plus Stephen Tobolowsky (who played the former glee club director, now pot dealer) was Bob on Heroes. But he's in everything.

Yeah, he's 'that guy.'

Kalhoun
05-29-2009, 10:39 AM
I watched because of the evil cheerleading coach, who I adore. If not for her, I wouldn't have given it a look at all.

I LOVED IT! I can't wait for the season to start. It makes me wish I would have gave it a shot in high school.

gigi
05-29-2009, 02:33 PM
Characters and plot were a bit contrived, but hey, it's tv and that's the way it goes.

This is what I realized I have to get past. Everyone in the house next door (who I watch a number of shows with) all LOVED it and I thought it was OK. But I've realized I have to suspend disbelief and enter TV world -- that red-haired woman is supposed to be plain? The lovely talented girl is supposed to be an outcast? The other show choir is supposed to have amazing outfits and choreography?

But I will give it a chance because I do like musical numbers, and Jane Lynch.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.