PDA

View Full Version : How do I set my virtual memory size in Windows XP Home?

TheMadHun
05-27-2009, 12:58 PM
How do I set my virtual memory size in Windows XP Home current update?

I keep getting scolded by messages, usually when I'm in Outlook and IE8
at the same time. "Your virtural memory is set too low. Close something or die" or words to that effect.
But I can't figure out how, and the Help system is sending me in circles not even close to an answer.

Thanks

KneadToKnow
05-27-2009, 01:02 PM
Straight from the horse's mouth:

How to manually change the size of the virtual memory paging file
You must be logged on as an administrator or as a member of the administrator’s group to complete this procedure. If your computer is connected to a network, network policy settings may prevent you from completing this procedure.

To manually change the size of virtual memory, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, click Run, type sysdm.cpl in the Open box, and then press ENTER.
2. Click the Advanced tab, and then under Performance click Settings.
3. Click the Advanced tab, and then under Virtual memory click Change.
4. Under Drive [Volume Label], click the drive that contains the paging file that you want to change.
5. Under Paging file size for selected drive, click Custom size, type a new paging file size in megabytes (MB) in the Initial size (MB) or Maximum size (MB) box, and then click Set.
6. Click OK to close the dialog box and apply changes.

Note After you change the size of the paging file, you may be prompted to restart Windows. If you are prompted to restart, the changes will not take effect until Windows is restarted.

Notes

* To have Windows select the best paging file size, click System managed size. The recommended minimum size is the same as 1.5 times the RAM on your computer, and 3 times that figure for the maximum size. For example, if you have 256 MB of RAM, the minimum size is 384 MB, and the maximum size is 1152 MB.
* For best performance, do not set the initial size to less than the minimum recommended size under Total paging file size for all drives. The recommended size is the same as 1.5 times the RAM on your computer. It is good practice to leave the paging file at its recommended size as performance can decrease if a paging file is too large. However, you may increase its size if you frequently use programs that use lots of memory, such as graphics programs or games.
* We strongly recommend that you do not disable or delete the paging file because this can lessen the computer's performance. However, if you decide to delete a paging file, set both the initial size and the maximum size to zero, or click No paging file.

Source (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308417)

TheMadHun
05-27-2009, 01:05 PM
Thanks. That was fast.

KneadToKnow
05-27-2009, 01:12 PM
I have Google on speed dial. :)

Mk VII
05-27-2009, 04:50 PM
I had this, and eventually installed an extra RAM chip.
It's a sign that your computer is feeling its age.

TheMadHun
05-28-2009, 12:36 PM
I suspect that might be right as well. Every update the software gets larger and larger.

HorseloverFat
05-29-2009, 12:13 AM
When that message comes up, 90% of the time the real issue is that there's an application running that is causing a memory leak. The fix here isnt to keep raising the VM but to fix this app. Whats running when this happens? Are there updates for the applications you use when this happens?

TaterRecon
05-29-2009, 12:23 AM
I had this, and eventually installed an extra RAM chip.
It's a sign that your computer is feeling its age.

Right. That's what the OP needs to do if his machine can take an upgrade of RAM.

TheMadHun
05-30-2009, 11:23 AM
When that message comes up, 90% of the time the real issue is that there's an application running that is causing a memory leak. The fix here isnt to keep raising the VM but to fix this app. Whats running when this happens? Are there updates for the applications you use when this happens?
What are the signs of this? Any way to tell?
But in my case I don't think so, because I never use things like Sleep and Hibernate, yet the problem comes right away.
The main problem seems to be Outlook, which takes two minutes to load. I tried backing up my saved emails offline, deleting them, then reinstalling Outlook with all empty folders. No change.

TheMadHun
05-30-2009, 11:25 AM
Oh, and I removed my spam and virus software (with the browser offline) and still got the message just with IE8 and Outlook 2000 running.

Early Out
05-30-2009, 01:24 PM
What are the signs of this? Any way to tell?
But in my case I don't think so, because I never use things like Sleep and Hibernate, yet the problem comes right away.
The main problem seems to be Outlook, which takes two minutes to load. I tried backing up my saved emails offline, deleting them, then reinstalling Outlook with all empty folders. No change.
One more thing to try in Outlook - compact the file. You will find this in slightly different places in different versions, but in Outlook 2002, for example, it's under File, Data File Management, choose Personal Folders, Settings, then hit Compact Now. If you've never done it before, it may take an ungodly long time.

Basically, even though you delete stuff, the data file that keeps all your Outlook "stuff" remains large until you compact it. So, every time you launch Outlook, it has to open that whole big file. If you've deleted stuff, the file is mostly empty bytes, but it's still a monster.

TheMadHun
05-31-2009, 01:56 PM
Unfortunately, all of my mail is huge. Family mail always contains photos or cartoons, and business mail always contains diagrams, spreadsheets or documents . I can't find any "compact" option on Outlook 2000 but I'm going to try Autoarchive, whatever that means.

I just wish there was an online mail program that would just let me create html email with embedded pictures instead of attachments. I'd switch in a minute.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.