PDA

View Full Version : Michael Jackson's father, Joe Jackson, shows his sincere grief by attending the BET awards gala

astro
06-28-2009, 07:55 PM
Wow ... just wow (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgli9UYUT8M&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fperezhilton%2Ecom%2F&feature=player_embedded)I was not a big MJ fan, but the Jackson family is all kinds of messed up. Does he even have a clue how crass this looks?

MovieMogul
06-28-2009, 07:59 PM
Break out the publicist, assert your authority through tons of legalese, and as for his family--they're "fine", "great", etc.

What was worse was that the CNN anchor kept summarizing Joe's words to make him sound more classy than any of the actual things that came out of his mouth.

Ugh.

Deanna D
06-28-2009, 08:14 PM
It's surprising enough to see a father who just lost a child even attend a gala, but his utter lack of any expression of grief is just stunning. I know we all grieve in different ways, and there are many emotions that go with the process, but I've truly never seen anyone react in such a neutral way. He seemed more focused on business and legal matters than anything remotely associated with the human aspect of losing a loved one. And that, to me, is just sad.

Batsinma Belfry
06-28-2009, 08:33 PM
Joe Jackson has always been an asshole. He probably wouldn't be there if not for the tribute to Michael. And he gets to soak up all the attention.

DiosaBellissima
06-28-2009, 08:37 PM
We just lost the biggest super star in the world. Not his little boy who grew up to fulfill every dream he could have had for his family. No, no. Not his son. The biggest super star in the world.

EpiGirl
06-28-2009, 08:44 PM
The entire show is supposed to be a tribute to Michael. I honestly can't get too worked up about his attendance.

Diogenes the Cynic
06-28-2009, 08:54 PM
Didn't Michael say Joe used to rehearse the boys with a belt in one hand? I think he's probably the most responsible for Michael growing up as screwed up as he did. Latoya said Joe used to beat Michael worse than any of them.

Covered_In_Bees!
06-28-2009, 08:58 PM
The entire show is supposed to be a tribute to Michael. I honestly can't get too worked up about his attendance.

It is slightly more about his words and delivery of said words, than just his attendance.

Markxxx
06-28-2009, 09:30 PM
Joe seems to be always the publicity hound, but being an old timer, when I was a kid, many times I knew of my parents friends dying and they didn't go to the funeral. This was the 70s before plane trips were that common and people didn't expect it. I knew people who immigrated and got letters from "back home," saying their mother had died two months ago.

This immediate grief and closure is really kind of an 80s and on type thing.

I'm not saying it's not tacky, but it doesn't mean he didn't care or whatever. The practice of an older generation regarding death aren't like today. When I was a kid you went to funerals. There wasn't any question about whether a child could handle it, even if it was your father, mother or brother.

Again, I'm not saying he was right to go, but he is from another generation who had a more realistic approach to death and the aftermath.

Diogenes the Cynic
06-28-2009, 09:40 PM
Even then, there was a difference between losing a parent and losing a child.

Bites When Provoked
06-28-2009, 10:35 PM
Just 'cos you're related doesn't mean you care. Haven't they been estranged for most of Michael's life, and haven't the family been pretty up-front in saying Joe was a shitty father?

If the relationship was more or less genetic-only with a side-serving of brutal management, then it's not really shocking that he's largely unaffected.

Mahaloth
06-28-2009, 10:41 PM
I can't believe people would want to meet Joe Jackson, the very man who created the freak-side of Michael.

I mean, he slammed Michael's head against the ground sometimes and beat him while holding him from his leg.

While people have doubted/questioned Michael's accusations, I've never seen anyone doubt or question whether or not Joe Jackson was abusive.

He was and he should be scorned.

Hippy Hollow
06-29-2009, 02:01 AM
Joe comes across as a scary, abusive asshole even in the Jacksons: An American Dream TV movie commissioned by the Jackson family. It seems the kids (and Katherine) all hate him - but they realize that without his maniacal zeal they would not have been as successful as they were. As Michael often commented, they spent their childhood practicing and traveling through the Rust Belt, touring instead of playing and going to school.

It's hard to believe in our age of American Idol and the internet, but there was no guarantee that the Jacksons, as talented as they were, would have been noticed by anybody outside of Gary, Indiana, without the relentless touring they did.

Also, keep in mind that there are 8 or 9 Jackson children. Michael was the most talented, but by all accounts most mercurial and held the cards once they got famous, when Joe was replaced by the Motown apparatus. So they were estranged at best, and likely hated each other. Joe likely saw MJ as a commodity from an early age, and that hasn't changed.

That having been said, I'm not surprised that a family member showed up. There's a lot of them, they live in LA, the BET Awards were being dedicated to them, and they are an old-school "the show must go one" types too.

Lynn Bodoni
06-29-2009, 02:48 AM
He seemed more focused on business and legal matters than anything remotely associated with the human aspect of losing a loved one. And that, to me, is just sad. I don't think that Joe ever loved his kids. They were just a way for him to make money, like a troupe of trained ponies. Except that most pony trainers would care more for their animals than Joe cared about his kids.

Abby_Emma_Sasha
06-29-2009, 04:23 AM
Like Diosa I was unnerved by his words. "The biggest superstar in the worls has died" is a phrase a fan would use. Even a friend in the business might use those words. But good Holy Og a man's father should have a more personal statement than that. Even the goddess Elizabeth Taylor was too choked up to speak about her dear friend.

Joe Jackson is the devil.

Broomstick
06-29-2009, 06:13 AM
It's surprising enough to see a father who just lost a child even attend a gala, but his utter lack of any expression of grief is just stunning. I know we all grieve in different ways, and there are many emotions that go with the process, but I've truly never seen anyone react in such a neutral way. He seemed more focused on business and legal matters than anything remotely associated with the human aspect of losing a loved one. And that, to me, is just sad.
You know, Joe Jackson just might, possibly [/sarcasm], be a factor in why Michael was so screwed up in the head. This is not the first time Joe Jackson has shown himself to be a crass jerk, and I wasn't surprised at all - it's rather typical of him from what I've seen.

Abby_Emma_Sasha
06-29-2009, 06:52 AM
You know, Joe Jackson just might, possibly [/sarcasm], be a factor in why Michael was so screwed up in the head. This is not the first time Joe Jackson has shown himself to be a crass jerk, and I wasn't surprised at all - it's rather typical of him from what I've seen.

No, it is not the first time at all that Joe Jackson has been shown to be an ass, But it is the first time on this message board I have dared to defend Michael Jackson. I really don't care anymore if anyone questions my decision .

Michael has never molested any chld, he has never hurt any child in any way in the physical sense. You know that is true. He would never do that.

There are things MJ did that might be thought of as inapproprriate, but that is a long way from illegal. And don't even start with me about the spelling. I don't care.

flodnak
06-29-2009, 07:08 AM
The BBC had this interesting video (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/8123573.stm) on their web page this morning. Though they don't point it out, the choice of clips shows an interesting contrast between Janet the Sister, who was having a hard time keeping it together while delivering a short statement on stage, and Joe the Sperm-Donor, who seemed to enjoy talking to the press and certainly wasn't acting like someone who had just lost a close family member. After I watched it I felt like I wanted to comfort Janet - and give Joe a thorough cluesticking :dubious:

"I'm fine" is not an answer I'd expect to hear from a bereaved father unless closely followed by "I have to be, my wife is devastated".

Cicero
06-29-2009, 07:40 AM
That original video is creepy. He hardly said much until the publicist read the bits about them being the only persons authorised to speak- I could not watch it after that.

lorene
06-29-2009, 08:45 AM
No, it is not the first time at all that Joe Jackson has been shown to be an ass, But it is the first time on this message board I have dared to defend Michael Jackson. I really don't care anymore if anyone questions my decision .

Michael has never molested any chld, he has never hurt any child in any way in the physical sense. You know that is true. He would never do that.

There are things MJ did that might be thought of as inapproprriate, but that is a long way from illegal. And don't even start with me about the spelling. I don't care.

It's one thing to assert your opinion and say that you don't care if anyone questions it. That's your prerogative, as the opinion holder.

But I, personally, do not "know it's true" that Michael Jackson has never hurt a child, molested a child, whatever. I don't know that he did. I don't know that he did not.

Abby_Emma_Sasha
06-29-2009, 09:05 AM
It's one thing to assert your opinion and say that you don't care if anyone questions it. That's your prerogative, as the opinion holder.

But I, personally, do not "know it's true" that Michael Jackson has never hurt a child, molested a child, whatever. I don't know that he did. I don't know that he did not.

Some shit that that I can't spell. It's true that he did not molest children.

Shirley Ujest
06-29-2009, 09:22 AM
We just lost the biggest super star in the world. Not his little boy who grew up to fulfill every dream he could have had for his family. No, no. Not his son. The biggest super star in the world.

And the number one money generator in their family for thirty plus years.

Don Draper
06-29-2009, 09:40 AM
The video that the OP linked to has been taken down by youtube. It states that there are legal rights issues in this country. Does anybody know an alternate site that has it posted? Gotta admit, now i'm curious to see it.

FoieGrasIsEvil
06-29-2009, 10:04 AM

You cannot possibly know that any more than someone that claims he did. That's the only truth regarding that matter.

Marley23
06-29-2009, 10:10 AM
Children involves more than one child; since he only made one eight-figure settlement in a child molestation lawsuit I suppose there is little evidence he molested multiple children, but I guess at least one child made a fairly strong case against him.

Like almost everybody, I know nothing about Michael Jackson's character. He was deeply fucked up, but other than that, I can't say much. Neither can you, I suspect, so your certainty is probably misplaced.

Abby_Emma_Sasha
06-29-2009, 10:13 AM
You cannot possibly know that any more than someone that claims he did. That's the only truth regarding that matter.
I will bet my life on it, will you say the same?

Diogenes the Cynic
06-29-2009, 10:15 AM
I will.

Abby_Emma_Sasha
06-29-2009, 10:17 AM
I will.

Do it.

Freudian Slit
06-29-2009, 10:18 AM
Why would anyone want to bet their life on it either way? Isn't it possible to like someone's music while acknowledging that yes, they may have also done terrible things? I like the Wall of Sound, but I don't go around saying that Phil Spector was framed.

Really Not All That Bright
06-29-2009, 10:20 AM
I will bet my life on it, will you say the same?
What a great way to show how certain you are of something - make a bet nobody can ever collect on!

:rolleyes:

Abby_Emma_Sasha
06-29-2009, 10:29 AM
Why would anyone want to bet their life on it either way? Isn't it possible to like someone's music while acknowledging that yes, they may have also done terrible things? I like the Wall of Sound, but I don't go around saying that Phil Spector was framed.

Wrll, Phil Spector is guilty, I can't think of any factor that would lead me to think PS would not have killed that woman.

Now, I have no reason to think MJ diddled any kids. Was he innappropriate? Yeah, probably. Again, if I have misspelled something, I don't care. Good riddance.

StGermain
06-29-2009, 10:34 AM
Abby_Emma_Sasha - Cite? On what basis do you assert so strongly that MJ never molested a child? I have no opinion one way or the other, and am more likely to give him the benefit of the doubt simply because he was such a target, but that's not proof. And how can you "stake your life on it"? Grow up. Hyperbole doesn't make for a convincing argument.

StG

Abby_Emma_Sasha
06-29-2009, 10:52 AM
Abby_Emma_Sasha - Cite? On what basis do you assert so strongly that MJ never molested a child? I have no opinion one way or the other, and am more likely to give him the benefit of the doubt simply because he was such a target, but that's not proof. And how can you "stake your life on it"? Grow up. Hyperbole doesn't make for a convincing argument.

StG

Sorry, have no cite. Hyperbole is not in a factor here. I am certain that MJ was not a pedo. I am so certain that I will stake my life on it. Deal with it.

Marley23
06-29-2009, 10:56 AM
Sorry, have no cite. Hyperbole is not in a factor here. I am certain that MJ was not a pedo. I am so certain that I will stake my life on it. Deal with it.
The initial question was why you were so sure, or why you expected anyone else to be convinced by your statement.

06-29-2009, 10:57 AM
You know, I don't recall ever seeing Abby_Emma_Sasha and Michael Jackson in the same room....

Freudian Slit
06-29-2009, 11:07 AM
You know, I don't recall ever seeing Abby_Emma_Sasha and Michael Jackson in the same room....

Nooooo, that's ignorant!

Abby_Emma_Sasha
06-29-2009, 11:08 AM
The initial question was why you were so sure, or why you expected anyone else to be convinced by your statement.

Why am I sure? Becaue I know MJ was so limited in his chikdhood that he never knew what it was to be a kid. He was so disjointed from this he onl.

He was a tortured child who neeeded to be nnurtured, and thank og he took his shit out on some good god damned songs.

Bam Boo Gut
06-29-2009, 11:12 AM
I don't think that Joe ever loved his kids. They were just a way for him to make money, like a troupe of trained ponies. Except that most pony trainers would care more for their animals than Joe cared about his kids.

Fuck you Joe Jackson. Not for attending the awards ceremony - but for what Lynn says above. The sight of him makes my skin crawl.

Janet Jackson - you are a star. I don't know how she managed to get through her speech but she did it.

Abby_Emma_Sasha
06-29-2009, 11:15 AM

Well, I guess that just proves that some conspiracy theories are vslid.

Freudian Slit
06-29-2009, 11:17 AM
Why am I sure? Becaue I know MJ was so limited in his chikdhood that he never knew what it was to be a kid. He was so disjointed from this he onl.

He was a tortured child who neeeded to be nnurtured, and thank og he took his shit out on some good god damned songs.

To respond to your above comment, he was never accused of raping children, but of doing a number of things that were not just inappropriate but illegal.

I've also been reading a bunch of (incredibly creepy) Vanity Fair articles by Maureen Oth. In one of them, she mentions a quote by someone close to Jackson who said that he relives childhood constantly not so much because he was deprived of one, but because he was a child star and is incredibly narcissistic. I don't think it's likely that we'll know either way just what drives him, but I guess that's the point. We didn't know him and we'll never know either way why he was the way he was.

The whole childlike thing seems to be more of a front. Despite the fact that he did make great music, he seemed incredibly manipulative, controlling, and intimidating. And whether or not he molested any kids, he certainly did go to great lengths to find very damaged, dysfunctional and vulnerable families to associate with.

Marley23
06-29-2009, 11:21 AM
Becaue I know MJ was so limited in his chikdhood that he never knew what it was to be a kid.
Probably true, but doesn't preclude him from molesting children. We don't know.

Tontines between members are probably prohibited by the Registration Agreement, so if we ever do find out for sure, neither you nor Diogenes the Cynic should try to collect on the bets of each other's life.

DiosaBellissima
06-29-2009, 11:25 AM
Nooooo, that's ignorant!

You win the internet.

Abby_Emma_Sasha
06-29-2009, 11:33 AM
Maureen Orth, Diane Dimond and others have an agenda, I guess. They want to see MJ fail. They got their wish, eh? Well, Foofooforah for them. Nice.

Abby_Emma_Sasha
06-29-2009, 11:35 AM
You win the internet.

Yes, they win the internets for being ignorant and stupid. Yay for you.

Guinastasia
06-29-2009, 11:48 AM
Also, keep in mind that there are 8 or 9 Jackson children. Michael was the most talented, but by all accounts most mercurial and held the cards once they got famous, when Joe was replaced by the Motown apparatus. So they were estranged at best, and likely hated each other. Joe likely saw MJ as a commodity from an early age, and that hasn't changed.

I don't know about that -- I think Janet's actually better, but it seems Joe never really gave her as much shit as he did Michael.

God, not so much as, "my baby boy is gone." Father of the year. :rolleyes:

Freudian Slit
06-29-2009, 11:52 AM
Maureen Orth, Diane Dimond and others have an agenda, I guess. They want to see MJ fail. They got their wish, eh? Well, Foofooforah for them. Nice.

So anyone who speaks out against him has an agenda or is ignorant, etc. And anyone who believes in him knows the truth. Okay.

In all honesty, is there anything bad you'd believe against him? Because even great, wonderful, saintly people have been known to make mistakes and do awful things. Or is everything dismissed as vicious, vicious lies against him?

lorene
06-29-2009, 12:00 PM
One thing I can say with certainty is that many people who do abuse children get away with it precisely because of the whole "but so-and-so" would never do that. Look at how many young children Catholic priests were able to abuse, all because a man of the cloth would never do such a thing.

Abby_Emma_Sasha
06-29-2009, 12:07 PM
So anyone who speaks out against him has an agenda or is ignorant, etc. And anyone who believes in him knows the truth. Okay.

In all honesty, is there anything bad you'd believe against him? Because even great, wonderful, saintly people have been known to make mistakes and do awful things. Or is everything dismissed as vicious, vicious lies against him?

Oh honey yes I do believe MJ was inappropriate(don;t badger me about spelling, i don't care) but i don;t believe he was ever illegal. For Christ sakes do you really believe MJ was a pedo? Bitch, please. Reslly.

DiosaBellissima
06-29-2009, 12:13 PM
Yes, they win the internets for being ignorant and stupid. Yay for you.

Um, it was a joke from South Park I was laughing at, I don't have a dog in your fight. Take the stick out of your ass, thanks.

(And just so we're clear: I don't think he did it either. Doesn't mean I can't laugh at a funny comedy show and a joke from it.)

Marley23
06-29-2009, 12:18 PM
For Christ sakes do you really believe MJ was a pedo? Bitch, please. Reslly.
I think that's enough. I'm not issuing a warning, but you need to tone down the hostility.

Freudian Slit
06-29-2009, 12:24 PM
Oh honey yes I do believe MJ was inappropriate(don;t badger me about spelling, i don't care) but i don;t believe he was ever illegal. For Christ sakes do you really believe MJ was a pedo? Bitch, please. Reslly.

Neither of us can say with any certainty what he is or isn't. Do I know for sure he was a pedophile? No. I do strongly suspect based on the fact that he has admitted to sleeping with children in his bed, the physical closeness between himself and Gavin Arvizo in the Bashir interview, the fact that he associates not with children in general but specifically 10-13 year old males who he tends to drop when they get older, and the fact that the boys he goes for tend to have little financial resources/lots of dysfunction. I just personally don't think it looks all that good.

Shirley Ujest
06-29-2009, 12:35 PM
Is it ever possible to bring up Michael Jackson without drudging up the pedo stuff.

( It is difficult, I know. But maybe, just this once stick to the discussion of Joe Jackson or the Jackson Family.)

Abby_Emma_Sasha
06-29-2009, 12:39 PM
Neither of us can say with any certainty what he is or isn't. Do I know for sure he was a pedophile? No. I do strongly suspect based on the fact that he has admitted to sleeping with children in his bed, the physical closeness between himself and Gavin Arvizo in the Bashir interview, the fact that he associates not with children in general but specifically 10-13 year old males who he tends to drop when they get older, and the fact that the boys he goes for tend to have little financial resources/lots of dysfunction. I just personally don't think it looks all that good.

Yeah well, see, I thhink Gavin nd his mother saw a golden goose and proffered somenomeny there
<stop, i;m done,

StGermain
06-29-2009, 12:45 PM
And now, according to CNN, Jackson's parents are going to get custody of the kids. Poor kids.

StG

DiosaBellissima
06-29-2009, 12:49 PM
And now, according to CNN, Jackson's parents are going to get custody of the kids. Poor kids.

StG

His mother and father have been separated for years since he cheated on her. I think the reason they haven't divorced is that she is a very devout JH and probably doesn't believe in divorce. He lives in Vegas, she in California with the rest of the family. I sincerely doubt Joe will be around the kids much of at all, if ever.

Freudian Slit
06-29-2009, 12:54 PM
His mother and father have been separated for years since he cheated on her. I think the reason they haven't divorced is that she is a very devout JH and probably doesn't believe in divorce. He lives in Vegas, she in California with the rest of the family. I sincerely doubt Joe will be around the kids much of at all, if ever.

And she seems like a fairly normal individual. Compared to some of the others who could have custody of the children, that is.

Shirley Ujest
06-29-2009, 12:54 PM
Speaking of kids and family, has LaToya been seen yet?

How do we know she wasn't the one that died?

ShadowFacts
06-29-2009, 01:01 PM

I've just read the entire thread, and I'm not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but your spelling is not great. You might want to give it some thought, if you haven't yet.

Diogenes the Cynic
06-29-2009, 01:12 PM
Just out of curiosity, why do they "want to see him fail?"

Abby_Emma_Sasha
06-29-2009, 01:36 PM
Just out of curiosity, why do they "want to see him fail?"

Because he's the golden goose. He;s easy. He bringgs a lotof this on himself. he's a freak, but he is not a chikd molestor. Stop, I nam not in any way able to do thisd noe. Lster. Lster.

Hippy Hollow
06-29-2009, 01:50 PM
I've just read the entire thread, and I'm not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but your spelling is not great. You might want to give it some thought, if you haven't yet.

Is this a whoosh? She misspelled one word in that post, and only a few in the others. Pretty comprehensible. Far from the worst I've seen on this board. On the other hand, that last post was unreadable...

I don't think MJ is a pedophile either, but it's not outside of the realm of possibility. Both Abby and Dio are taking ridiculously extreme positions on this. Hope y'all have your life insurance premiums paid up! :p

Diogenes the Cynic
06-29-2009, 02:23 PM
I was being facetious. It's such an empty bit of bluster to declare that you would bet your life on something that no one has any chance of disproving (and which you would never have to pay up on anyway), that I thought why the hell not see her on her bet. We're both all in on a hand for which we'll never see a flop.

He totally DID jack those kids off, though.

HelloKitty
06-29-2009, 02:25 PM
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that was a whoosh Hippy Hollow.

As for Joe, I heard him quoted today on the radio saying something like "It's too bad people didn't show Michael how much they loved him when he was alive". I was like HUH??? Michael has never had a shortage of people telling him and showing him how much they love him, whether it's fans, friends or family (Janet). Where has Joe been all this time??

I'm not surprised Joe came across as cold and distant at the BET awards. It's not like he's well known as an eloquent public speaker. I can give him a little benefit of the doubt that it was difficult for him to find the right words.

Then again, it could just be that he is a callous media whore.

lorene
06-29-2009, 02:35 PM
Because he's the golden goose. He;s easy. He bringgs a lotof this on himself. he's a freak, but he is not a chikd molestor. Stop, I nam not in any way able to do thisd noe. Lster. Lster.

I mean this with 100% sincerity and concern---are you OK? And that's not a comment on your spelling, but I notice a few things---one, that you're getting less comprehensible as the thread goes on; two, that you're taking this very hard---staking your life on his innocence; and three, that you're now talking about him as though he is still alive. It just strikes me, all of it.

Freudian Slit
06-29-2009, 02:51 PM
I mean this with 100% sincerity and concern---are you OK? And that's not a comment on your spelling, but I notice a few things---one, that you're getting less comprehensible as the thread goes on; two, that you're taking this very hard---staking your life on his innocence; and three, that you're now talking about him as though he is still alive. It just strikes me, all of it.

Yeah, this is happening on another board I frequent. I guess MJ really did have his followers.

06-29-2009, 04:02 PM
You should never drink the bong water.

rocking chair
06-29-2009, 04:06 PM
one reason i didn't want mrs jackson to gain custody is because of mr jackson. she knew how he was treating the children and did nothing. why should she get a chance at the grandchildren. hopefully big sister rebbe will step up.

i'm not liking the way joe jackson said that we can take care the of the children and give them the education they need. i'm not fond of a man whose idea of education is using a board of education.

he is quoted as saying he never beat his children because he didn't use a stick. he just belted them with a belt or whipped them with a switch. sooo much better.

Guinastasia
06-29-2009, 06:03 PM
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that was a whoosh Hippy Hollow.

As for Joe, I heard him quoted today on the radio saying something like "It's too bad people didn't show Michael how much they loved him when he was alive". I was like HUH??? Michael has never had a shortage of people telling him and showing him how much they love him, whether it's fans, friends or family (Janet). Where has Joe been all this time??

Joe should have read some of the Michael Jackson fan boards. God, those people were CRAZY. Remember that one guy, BJ something or other? Scar-eee.

It's too bad his sister Rebbie can't take the kids. She seems pretty normal.

DiosaBellissima
06-29-2009, 06:05 PM
And she seems like a fairly normal individual. Compared to some of the others who could have custody of the children, that is.

Agreed, though you do have to question the sanity of a woman who let her husband beat her kids into a pulp every day for years, making Michael what he became in every possible way.

Freudian Slit
06-29-2009, 09:07 PM
Agreed, though you do have to question the sanity of a woman who let her husband beat her kids into a pulp every day for years, making Michael what he became in every possible way.

True...I guess I'm just thinking compared to say, Joe himself or Debbie Rowe. All in all, I suppose it's not really the most normal cast of characters.

DiosaBellissima
06-30-2009, 12:56 AM
True...I guess I'm just thinking compared to say, Joe himself or Debbie Rowe. All in all, I suppose it's not really the most normal cast of characters.

Oh, I agree she's seemingly the best option. She's who they know and Michael loved her dearly. Plus, they'll still be around cousins, aunts, uncles, etc.

MeanOldLady
06-30-2009, 12:27 PM
Agreed, though you do have to question the sanity of a woman who let her husband beat her kids into a pulp every day for years, making Michael what he became in every possible way.There's some fluffy article in the LA Times (http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-katherine-jackson30-2009jun30,0,7025109.story) about how Mom Jackson and Jacko were BFFs, which at one point states Mom Jacko "could grow icy and unforgiving with anyone she felt might harm her children." Except Joe, though. He was cool.

gonzomax
06-30-2009, 12:58 PM

Two payoffs to kids families and 2 trials. just a lot of bad luck there ,isn't it? Pure coincidence.

DiosaBellissima
06-30-2009, 05:53 PM
There's some fluffy article in the LA Times (http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-katherine-jackson30-2009jun30,0,7025109.story) about how Mom Jackson and Jacko were BFFs, which at one point states Mom Jacko "could grow icy and unforgiving with anyone she felt might harm her children." Except Joe, though. He was cool.

Na, my understanding is that while she put up with it for years, she finally did explode on him after they moved to LA, which is what supposedly led to his cheating, then her kicking him out. At some point, she finally put her foot down and told him to stop beating the kids.

Of course, too little too late, sure. When the biggest entertainer in the world- at the height of his career- would get physically ill because his dad would show up at a show. Sick.

Zoe
07-01-2009, 12:42 AM
It wasn't that unusual to be beaten with belts and hit with sticks and switches in those days. The problem was that some parents didn't know when to stop and then took it too far and they took out their unrelated anger on their children. And they did it when the other parent wasn't around to see. I'm glad this practice has mostly stopped now. I was terribly abused by my mother who was and is mentally ill and very cruel.

I won't speak directly about Michael or Joe, but please don't judge people's grief by the way they react after someone in the family has died. I practically acted like a hostess at the funeral home and at the house when my father died. At the funeral I did not cry at all -- nor at the burial. I was in such a fog and the grief was too overwhelming. But when I finally hit the wall, nothing has ever hurt like that. I still mourn him.

DiosaBellissima
07-01-2009, 10:27 AM
I won't speak directly about Michael or Joe, but please don't judge people's grief by the way they react after someone in the family has died. I practically acted like a hostess at the funeral home and at the house when my father died. At the funeral I did not cry at all -- nor at the burial. I was in such a fog and the grief was too overwhelming. But when I finally hit the wall, nothing has ever hurt like that. I still mourn him.

I think the matter is more that when one looks at the history of Joe Jackson, then this. . . yeah, together, he's kind of undeniably a dick. He didn't just beat his kids relentlessly (like I said, his adult son used to get physically ill if he'd show up at a show), he also did things like tell Michael he was ugly (adding to his body dismorphia,no doubt) and fuck prostitutes and make his young son watch, so he'd become a man. To the beatings- just because every one did it, doesn't mean he -- and everyone who participated in such things- are any less disgusting people. I'm so sorry you had to suffer through that. :(

Joe Jackson is scum. Sure, not everyone gets all outwardly sad when faced with death, but any decent person would not use the forum to promote their record label. When it was brought up later that he completely fucked up at the BET Awards, the man held a press conference. . .where he again spent the entire time talking about his record label. A+, Joe.

Broomstick
07-01-2009, 02:08 PM
It wasn't that unusual to be beaten with belts and hit with sticks and switches in those days.
It wasn't universal, either - my sisters and I are in the same age range as the Jackson 5 kids and somehow my parents managed to raise us without feeling a need to hit us. Even back in the 1960's Joe Jackson's "discipline" was seen as excessive by the neighbors - who have been speaking about Joe Jackson's abusive behavior for four decades and more now. But, of course, being poor black folks from Gary not much heed has been paid to them. But if you doubt, go ask them yourself - many of those same people are still living on the same street in the same neighborhood. In other words "everyone else was doing it" is not sufficient to excuse what the man did to his kids.

rocking chair
07-01-2009, 06:44 PM
michael jackson showed his thoughts on his father as there is no mention of him in the will.

you do feel for the guy as no doubt through out all his life all he wanted was for his dad to say something anything positive. even in death his father couldn't say anything personal about his son. from his remarks you wouldn't even know they were related.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.