PDA

View Full Version : Fromage! Help me create a cheesy, cheesy iPod mix

Eats_Crayons
07-04-2009, 04:39 PM
I am trying to put together a mix of cheesy tunes for my iPod. So far, Air Supply is featured prominently, "Total Eclipse of the Heart" has earned a spot do to its overwrought power baladness. I'm thinking some tunes from Chicago in the adult-contemporary Peter Cetera era... Possibly some Barry Manilow. Is Leo Slayer too obscure?

What must haves should be on my cheesy mix?

Level of difficulty: no Celine Dione or Whitney Houston.

Horatio Hellpop
07-04-2009, 05:09 PM
How about the works of Bread, Styx and Poco?

Eats_Crayons
07-04-2009, 05:36 PM
How about the works of Bread, Styx and Poco?Oh, I've already added "Come Sail Away" and whatsitcalled.... "Babe"

Rin Twisted
07-04-2009, 05:39 PM
What a great mix- what gave you the idea, Eats_Crayons?

Damn, you've already got Air Supply in there. Well, you definitely gotta have, "I Want to Know What Love" is by Foreigner. And can you stomach any Michael Bolton? Like, "I Said I Loved You, But I Lied"?

Ponch8
07-04-2009, 05:43 PM
How about the hokey late 80's/early 90's smooth R&B like Boys II Men, Al B. Sure, and Color Me Badd?

Caricci
07-04-2009, 05:52 PM
Do include "Everything is Beautiful" by Mr. Ray Stevens.

elfkin477
07-04-2009, 06:20 PM
My MP3 collection is divided into sixty-three (yes, I counted) subgenres of music, and all but three are legitimate subgenres. The others are "covers", "oldies" (pre-1990, but also not new wave or synthpop) and "lame pop." Let's see if Lame Pop can help you out at all.

Britney Spears (nine songs, I think I'm going to lose musical cred admitting that. All singles from the late 90s to first half of this decade)
Nine Days "257 weeks", "Absolutely (Story Of A Girl)", "Brand New Me", "Good Friend"
Savage Garden "Break Me Shake Me", "To The Moon and Back", "I Want You"
Eagle Eye Cherry "Save Tonight"
Blessid Union of Souls "Could've Been With You", "Hey Leonardo (She Likes Me For Me)"
The Backstreet Boys "Everybody", "Larger Than Life"
N'Sync "It's Gonna Be Me", "Bye Bye Bye"
Five For Fighting "Dying", "Superman"
Jessica Simpson "Irresistable"
Evan and Jaron "Crazy For This Girl"
Hillary Duff "Come Clean"
Hayden Panettiere "Your New Girlfriend"
Hoku "Another Dumb Blonde"
Bon Jovi "It's My Life"
The Heights "How Do You Talk To An Angel" (I even watched the show! I was young)
Semisonic "Singing In My Sleep" (I'm shocked I don't have "Closing Time" etc)
PM Dawn "I'd Die Without You"

Hmm. This stuff is all newer than the songs in the OP. Maybe I should look in "Oldies" or "New Wave" instead.

koeeoaddi
07-04-2009, 06:29 PM
Hips Don't Lie, by Shakira
I Am Woman, by Helen Reddy
I Need to Know, by Whatshisface who is married to Whatshername
Gypsies, Tramps and Thieves, by Cher

Eats_Crayons
07-04-2009, 07:03 PM
Well, you definitely gotta have, "I Want to Know What Love" is by Foreigner.Brilliant! And I will add some REO Speedwagon to that.

And can you stomach any Michael Bolton? Like, "I Said I Loved You, But I Lied"?Well, now there I have to draw the line. I'd rather jam knitting needles in my ears.

Hmm. This stuff is all newer than the songs in the OP. Maybe I should look in "Oldies" or "New Wave" instead.Yes, I'm looking for the kind of cheese that will bring a nostalgic tear to one's eye and be understood and appreciated as an ironic choice. Leo Slayer crooning "When I neeeeed you, I just close my eyes and I'm with you..." in a voice that's so girly, Mary Poppins has more testosterone in comparison, will obviously be understood as a deliberately cheesy choice.

Jessica Simpson would just be embarassing.

I had no idea Hayden Panettiere had a recording!

Hello Again
07-04-2009, 07:34 PM
What about that weird 80s song, about the Kilimanjaro rising like a leopress above the Serengeti.... "Africa" by Toto.

Oh! and "No Myth (Romeo in Black Jeans)" by Michael Penn.

Oh my god, I'm on a roll. "When the Children Cry" by horrific hair band White Lion

Eats_Crayons
07-04-2009, 07:38 PM
Hair bands and power ballads: the brie of the music world!

kenobi 65
07-04-2009, 07:39 PM
Is Leo Slayer too obscure?

That's pretty funny, though I'm not sure if it's intentional or not. And, I'd absolutely say you need to include "You Make Me Feel Like Dancing". He's not too obscure; he did host "The Muppet Show", after all.

I'd also say you need to include the disco version of the "Star Wars" soundtrack, by Meco.

Hello Again
07-04-2009, 07:48 PM
Hair bands and power ballads: the brie of the music world!
Now you got me started.

"When I'm with You" by Sheriff
"Winds of Change" by The Scorpions (although they maybe get pass for being *actually* formerly-West German. Pretty cheesy though.)
"Domoarigato Mr. Roboto" by Styx (Thank you very much-o!)

BTW, this list reads like my 7th grade mix tapes.

porcupine
07-05-2009, 12:39 AM
Afternoon Delight by Starland Vocal Band

Jenaroph
07-05-2009, 12:55 AM
She ran callin' Wiiiiillldfiiiiirre...

Little Nemo
07-05-2009, 01:05 AM
Stand back. I grew up in the seventies. You kids don't try this at home.

"All I Wanna Do Is Make Love To You" by Heart
"All Out of Love" by Air Supply
"Amanda" by Boston
"Come Sail Away" by Styx
"Have You Ever Really Loved a Woman?" by Byran Adams
"I Want to Know What Love Is" by Foreigner
"If I Can't Have You" by Yvonne Elliman
"If You Leave Me Now" by Chicago
"The Kid Is Hot Tonite" by Loverboy
"Kiss On My List" by Daryl Hall & John Oates
"Leader of The Band" by Dan Fogelberg
"One More Night"" by Phil Collins
"Shadows of the Night" by Pat Benatar
"Take It On The Run" by REO Speedwagon

Grumman
07-05-2009, 03:11 AM
You've Got The Touch by Stan Bush?

jackdavinci
07-05-2009, 04:08 AM
My MP3 collection is divided into sixty-three (yes, I counted) subgenres of music,.

What are these subgenres?

Ranchoth
07-05-2009, 04:29 AM
You might want to try the various Rankin-Bass soundtracks (animated, and stop-motion)—The Last Unicorn had a gem or two, including one sung by cast member Mia Farrow (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIUnq2d9pMU) (strangely, this one used a different singer for the soundtrack release, for some reason); and anything with Glenn Yarbrough (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=864VY2jux7U).

SeaDragonTattoo
07-05-2009, 06:43 AM
"Cherry Pie" by Warrant
"Do Ya Think I'm Sexy" by Rod Stewart
"Celebration" by Kool and the Gang
"Ice Ice Baby" by Vanilla Ice
"Girls Girls Girls" by Pretty Boy Floyd
"Hot for Teacher" by Van Halen
"Send Her My Love" by Journey
"Pour Some Sugar On Me" by Def Leppard
"We're not Gonna Take It" by Twisted Sister
"Fight for your Right" by Beastie Boys
"How Deep is Your Love" by Bee Gees
"I Just Called to Say I Love You" by Stevie Wonder
"Islands in the Stream" by Dolly Parton and Kenny Rogers

Man this shit brings back memories! I got lots more, but gotta get to bed!

Swallowed My Cellphone
07-06-2009, 10:05 AM
"Mandy" - Barry Manilow
"Cracklin' Rosie" - Neil Diamond
"It's Not Unusual" - Tom Jones

SaharaTea
07-06-2009, 11:02 AM
This thread is all about Captain & Tennille. Specifically, "Do That To Me One More Time," "Love Will Keep Us Together," and "Muskrat Love."

Ellen Cherry
07-06-2009, 11:16 AM
Where, I say, WHERE is the Meatloaf? We must have Two Out of Three Ain't Bad, I'd Do Anything For Love, and the mother of all overwrought ballads, Paradise By the Dashboard Light (which I personally think is hysterical and I can't listen to without laughing and singing the whole damn thing).

Also: Beth by Kiss and Keep on Lovin' You by REO Speedwagon.

Shark Sandwich
07-06-2009, 11:17 AM
Open Arms by Journey.

ZipperJJ
07-06-2009, 11:43 AM
It's Rainin' Men!

astorian
07-06-2009, 12:10 PM
There are all kinds of cheese. You needs some Sensitive Seventies Singer-Songwriter cheese.

1. Cat Stevens: "Peace Train" or "Moon Shadow" or "Morning Has Broken" (it was always pathetic when nuns would try to play this one at Mass, thinking it showed how hip and cool they were!)

2. John Denver: "Sunshine on My Shoulders" or "Thank God I'm a Country Boy" (I actually love a lot of John's music, but these two are a bit over the line)

3. Lobo: "Me and You and a Dog Named Boo" or "I'd Love You to Want Me."

4. Henry Gross' "Shannon" (a sad song about a lost doggie)

There's also

Clint Holmes' "Playground in My Mind"
Michael Jackson's "Ben"

Harriet the Spry
07-06-2009, 12:16 PM
"I've Never Been to Me" by Charlene would fit right in here.

Gangster Octopus
07-06-2009, 12:42 PM
Do You Believe in Magic? by the Lovin' Spoonfuls

kenobi 65
07-06-2009, 12:55 PM
2. John Denver: "Sunshine on My Shoulders" or "Thank God I'm a Country Boy" (I actually love a lot of John's music, but these two are a bit over the line)

If you're going to include "Country Boy", then you must also include "Grandma's Feather Bed." :p

4. Henry Gross' "Shannon" (a sad song about a lost doggie)

Which reminds me of Michael Martin Murphey's "Wildfire", a sad song about a lost horse (which, for some reason, was imperiled by a "killing frost"...what, is the horse actually a petunia??)

Snickers
07-06-2009, 01:41 PM
What's that Taco song? Oh yeah! Puttin' on the Ritz. Your mix must have this. And possibly Afternoon Delight, too, although I can't stomach that song.

Labtrash
07-06-2009, 01:47 PM
"The Final Countdown" by Europe
"Billy, Don't be a Hero" by Paper Lace
"Honey" by Bobby Goldsboro
"I Can See Clearly Now" by Johnny Nash

pure cheesy goodness

Mariemarie
07-06-2009, 01:53 PM
You simply must include ABBA. "Dancing Queen", "SOS", "Fernando".

Eats_Crayons, do you want this playlist to be a pleasant listening experience? Many of the songs listed are of the Knitting-needles-to-the-ears variety. But guess that is a matter of opinion.

The Carpenters had many delicious hits au gratin: "Close to You", "Superstar"...

Swallowed My Cellphone
07-06-2009, 01:55 PM
The Carpenters had many delicious hits au gratin: "Close to You"Wow, now that's cheesy. Puts my Neil Diamond suggestion to shame!

Mahna Mahna
07-06-2009, 02:06 PM
Awesome mix.

All that's missing is some Oran Juice Jones... because how cheesy can you be if you don't have The Rain (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8utL-XzOp6g). (Bonus - the recent YouTube comments on this video are downright hilarious)

Caricci
07-06-2009, 02:10 PM
What about that weird 80s song, about the Kilimanjaro rising like a leopress above the Serengeti.... "Africa" by Toto.

Oh, that's what that line is! Dude!

Caricci
07-06-2009, 02:12 PM
BTW, whenever these songs come on the car radio I pray there's no axe murderer hiding in the back and not for fear of death but for fear of shame. It still doesn't stop me from singing along though.

Ellen Cherry
07-06-2009, 04:39 PM
"
"Billy, Don't be a Hero" by Paper Lace

pure cheesy goodness

And The Night Chicago Died.

Lord help me, I love Kung Fu Fighting. (HUH!)

kenobi 65
07-06-2009, 05:12 PM
And The Night Chicago Died.

Lord help me, I love Kung Fu Fighting. (HUH!)

And Rock the Boat. And Midnight at the Oasis. :D

Caffeine.addict
07-06-2009, 07:49 PM
Peter Cetera Glory of Love (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsThOn62LSQ) should fit on the OP's list since she mentioned Peter Cetera era Chicago. This is one of the cheesiest songs that I can recall from that era.

I was just reminded of Mr Mister's song "Broken Wings" and Starship's "We built this City".

Hello Again
07-06-2009, 09:39 PM
"One Night Love Affair" by Bryan Adams. As featured in "Real Genius!" So double plus for having been featured in a seminal 80s flick. "Summer of '69" is maybe a hair cheesier, but reasonable minds can differ.

"Don't You Forget About Me (theme from "The Breakfast Club.")
"Hurt So Good" by John Cougar Mellencamp

Eats_Crayons
07-06-2009, 09:59 PM
Sorry, I've been away from the thread. I've had a busy day, away from my computer.
"I've Never Been to Me" by Charlene would fit right in here.Any song that has "taking parts" is exceptionally cheesy.

Eats_Crayons, do you want this playlist to be a pleasant listening experience? Many of the songs listed are of the Knitting-needles-to-the-ears variety. But guess that is a matter of opinion.
I plan on judiciously constructing a playlist that will not make anyone's head explode, but that ought to result in drunken crooning if played at a party. I'm hoping to get the songs everyone makes fun of and yet secretly sings along to when they think no one is listening. For example, I actually had no idea that I actually KNOW the lyrics to an Air Supply tune well enough to sing along to it. Never owned ne of their albums and neither did my parents. Yet somehow this song is in my brain!

Awesome suggestions so far!

HeyHomie
07-07-2009, 10:40 AM
Escape (The Pina Colada Song) by Rupert Holmes

Key Largo by Bertie Higgins

Swallowed My Cellphone
07-07-2009, 10:54 AM
Has anyone mentioned Johnny Mathis? "Look at meeee, I'm as happy as a kitten in a treeeee..."

(That was Johnny Mathis, wasn't it?)

kenobi 65
07-07-2009, 11:03 AM
Has anyone mentioned Johnny Mathis? "Look at meeee, I'm as happy as a kitten in a treeeee..."

(That was Johnny Mathis, wasn't it?)

Helpless as a kitten up a tree, even. :)

And, yes, Mathis sang it, among other people.

FalconFinder
07-07-2009, 12:16 PM
Oh, that's what that line is! Dude!

Actually, ithe correct lyric is:
"Sure as Kilimanjaro rises like Olympus above the Serengeti"

3:20:59 or bust
07-07-2009, 01:29 PM
"What's new, Pussycat? WhOOOOOAAA, Oh, WhOOOOAAAA"

Damn, Tom Jones, is cheesy AND catchy.

Swallowed My Cellphone
07-07-2009, 01:38 PM
Helpless as a kitten up a tree, even. :):dubious: A fan, are you?

Gangster Octopus
07-07-2009, 01:42 PM
"What's new, Pussycat? WhOOOOOAAA, Oh, WhOOOOAAAA"

Damn, Tom Jones, is cheesy AND catchy.

Oh I cannot agree with this. THe song is fantastic, especially with its overt sexual innuendo that at the time was pretty shocking, I believe.

Pussycat, Pussycat
You're delicious
And if my wishes
Can all come true
I'll soon be kissing your sweet little pussycat lips!
Pussycat, Pussycat
I love you
Yes, I do!
You and your pussycat lips!

Snickers
07-07-2009, 02:09 PM
...For example, I actually had no idea that I actually KNOW the lyrics to an Air Supply tune well enough to sing along to it. Never owned ne of their albums and neither did my parents. Yet somehow this song is in my brain!

I'm all out of love
I'm so lost without you...

ahem. Yeah, I'm familiar with them, why do you ask?

Mariemarie
07-07-2009, 02:26 PM
Originally Posted by Eats_Crayons
I'm hoping to get the songs everyone makes fun of and yet secretly sings along to when they think no one is listening.
Well all right then!

Herb Alpert - "This Guy's in Love With You"
Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons - "Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You", and "Sherry"
The Association - "Cherish"
Righteous Brothers - "You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling"
The Partridge Family - "I Think I Love You"

There's a band in town called Guilty Pleasures who perform this sort of material, complete with props, costumes, and guest performers for different songs. ABBA's "Dancing Queen" is on their songlist. Too fun!

kenobi 65
07-07-2009, 02:41 PM
:dubious: A fan, are you?

Nah, just have a very good memory for lyrics. And, yeah, I looked it up just to make sure.

The actual name of the song is "Misty", just FYI...and it's the song referred to in the title of the Clint Eastwood movie "Play Misty For Me".

digs
07-07-2009, 09:44 PM
"Lucky Man" by EL&P? See, I'd go for cheesy but still listenable. "Part of the Plan" by Dan Fogelberg, "I got a Line on You" by Spirit. And you've GOT to include "It's Not Unusual" by Tom Jones

btw: "Sure as Kilimanjaro rises like Olympus above the Serengeti" is famous in that it should be a much shorter line. They somehow shoehorned in extra syllables (I count TEN), but made it sound deeeeep.

Maybe that's what the early 80s were about: making fromage seem deeeep (cf. Hesse, Brautigan, Kesey and Fogelberg :)

Eats_Crayons
07-08-2009, 07:27 AM
Escape (The Pina Colada Song) by Rupert HolmesAnd with that, my head explodes. That is without doubt, the cheesiest song ever to hit the airwaves!

Southpaw
07-08-2009, 09:27 AM
No cheesy playlist would be complete without some Tony Orlando. Knock Three Times and/or Tie A Yellow Ribbon.

Copacabana by Barry Manilow

If you include some Partridge Family, you have to have Sunshine Day by the Brady Bunch.

If you can stomach it, how about We Are the World?

Disco is cheesy, so don't forget some KC and the Sunshine Band

msmith537
07-08-2009, 09:31 AM
Throw in a little Asia and R.E.O. Speedwagon.

And don't forget Michael McDonald. If I hear Ya Mo Be There ever again I'm gonna ya mo burn this mother down.

Snickers
07-08-2009, 09:36 AM
You also need that one song, you know:

I come from a land down under
Where women blow (??) and men chunder
Can you hear can you hear the thunder
You'd better run, you'd better take cover

For extra cheesiness!

Drain Bead
07-08-2009, 09:44 AM
"I've had the time of my liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiife, and I owe it all to youuuuuuuuuuuuu...."

"Just a Friend" by Biz Markie is pretty cheesy.

And more from the hair metal power ballad vein:
"I Remember You" by Skid Row
"Don't Cry" by GnR (also, "Patience")
"Without You" by Motley Crue
"Fly To The Angels" by Slaughter (I think?)
"I'll Never Let You Go" by Steelheart
"High Enough" by Damn Yankees (or that other song they did that I'm blanking on right now)
"Sometimes She Cries" or "Heaven" by Warrant
"More than Words" by Extreme
"To Be With You" by Mr. Big

Shadowfyre
07-08-2009, 10:13 AM
Can't forget:

"Love Hurts" by Nazareth
"Sister Christian" by Night Ranger
"Right Here Waiting For You" by Richard Marx
"Broken Wings" by Mr. Mister
"Shout" by Tears for Fears
"I Remember You" by Skid Row
"Every Rose Has Its Thorn" by Poison

This is only a small spattering of my 80's mp3 collection.

TubaDiva
07-08-2009, 10:13 AM
Kenny Rogers. "You picked a fine time to leave me, Lucille."

Timothy! Which I just learned was written by the undisputed Duc du Fromage, Rupert Holmes, the man who also brought you "The Pina Colada Song." For those of you who have missed this stinky gem, here's the story: http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=2005

Lemme see if I can come up with some more as the 70s/80s are retrieved from the attic of my mind. Did somebody already mention "The Ballad of Billy Jack?" Also known as 'One Tin Soldier." http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=3888 Go ahead and hate your neighbor.

Here's "One Tin Soldier" on imeem: http://www.imeem.com/people/hpQ_6g/music/QJN5wUFU/billy-jack-one-tin-soldiercoven/

TubaDiva
07-08-2009, 10:24 AM
OOH! Ooh! "Seasons in the Sun." Written by Rod McKuen, the Big Cheese of 60s poetry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfm-17pu6SQ

Now I'm making Horshack noises, I got to go lie down.

Gfactor
07-08-2009, 10:32 AM
Jimmy Carter Says Yes! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h874BPSnbWc

Nunzio Tavulari
07-08-2009, 11:15 AM
The early '70s is rife with interminably 'cute' songs. Here's two from 1973.

1973 Playground In My Mind - Clint Holmes "My name is Michael, I've got a nickel..."
1973 Daisy A Day - Jud Strunk

and let's not forget Stay Awhile by The Bells (1971) "How he makes me quiver..."

Swallowed My Cellphone
07-08-2009, 12:31 PM
Does the "Banana Boat Song" count as cheese?

DAAAAAY-O!

kenobi 65
07-08-2009, 12:37 PM
The early '70s is rife with interminably 'cute' songs. Here's two from 1973.

1973 Playground In My Mind - Clint Holmes "My name is Michael, I've got a nickel..."
1973 Daisy A Day - Jud Strunk

and let's not forget Stay Awhile by The Bells (1971) "How he makes me quiver..."

Oh, man, you just reminded me of a few that I'd rather forget:

Brand New Key - Melanie ("I've got a brand new pair of rollerskates, you've got a brand new key...")

Jeans On (no idea who sang it, but the chorus is "I pull my blue jeans on / I pull my old blue jeans on")

Pilot of the Airwaves - Charlie Dore

msmith537
07-08-2009, 12:49 PM
Toto - Africa
Meat Loaf - I Would Do Anything For Love (But I Won't Do That)
Heart - These Dreams
Bryan Adams - Anything I Do (I Do it For You)
Avril Lavign - Keep Holding On

ajdebosco
07-08-2009, 01:02 PM
"You look Wonderful Tonight" ~ Eric Clapton and perhaps one of the most often covered cheeseball tunes of the 70's to present

"Something" ~ The Beatles (same m.o.)

" Four Strong Winds" ~ Ian Tyson. I remember my older sister playing this song incessantly, and evidently Neil Young annoyed his fair share of folks by replaying it on a diner jukebox as many as ten times in a row. I must say his cover from his televised tour is one of the best, with a dozen acoustic guitars all strumming in unison alongside him.

"HUngry Like the Wolf" ~ Duran Duran. Your mix will not be complete without the inclusion of the "Parmigiano-Reggiano" AKA the king of cheeses

Hoopy Frood
07-08-2009, 01:25 PM
Aerosmith - "Don't Want to Miss a Thing"

Survivor - "Eye of the Tiger" or "High on You" or "The Search Is Over" or pretty much any of their songs.

Spice Girls - "Wannabe" (or any of their songs)

Journey - "Separate Ways (Worlds Apart)"

Toto - "Rosanna" and "Won't Hold You Back" and "Hold the Line"

AskNott
07-08-2009, 01:36 PM
Oh, man! I've had to take 4 lactase pills to get this far!

Lee Greenwood probably put his kids through college on that song that says, "Where at least I know I'm free." Yeah, at least there's that.

While we're on patriotism, the line from Men At Work's Land Down Under is "Where women glow (perspire) and men chunder (vomit.)"

Rocky Top is so cheesy that the Mountain Stage radio show won't let anybody sing it.

Kenny Rogers is in the nobility of fromage, with Coward Of The County.
"Promise me, son, that you'll bite your woman's buns,
Wear a two-day stubble when you can.
Folks won't think you're queer, if you have another beer,
Damn right you got to drink to be a man.

Then there's cheesy and charming, like Winchester Cathedral. I don't remember who did the through-Rudy-Vallee's-megaphone version. That was charming. When Frank Sinatra sang it, he went beyond cheesy into weird.

The Beatles did some in that vein, such as Your Mother Should Know and Honey Pie.

Let's not forget Cream's A Mother's Lament.
"A muvver was washing her baby one night,
The youngest of ten, and a delicate mite,
The muvver turned 'round for the soap off the rack,
She was only a moment, but when she turned back,
'Er baby was gone, and in anguish she cried,
"Oh, where has my baby gone?" The angels replied..."

TubaDiva
07-08-2009, 01:43 PM
Oh, man! I've had to take 4 lactase pills to get this far!

Lee Greenwood probably put his kids through college on that song that says, "Where at least I know I'm free." Yeah, at least there's that.Lee Greenwood: God Bless the U.S.A.

malibu400
07-08-2009, 02:38 PM
Fishin' in the dark - Nitty Gritty Dirt Band
Billy Ray Cyrus - Achy Breaky Heart
Bicycle Race - Queen

RitterSport
07-08-2009, 02:49 PM
Brand New Key - Melanie ("I've got a brand new pair of rollerskates, you've got a brand new key...")

This is the second time I've seen this song mentioned on the SDMB today -- it's also in the CREEPY thread. Something about that song makes a thread hit the front page.

Anyway, I don't think this one is mentioned:

The Warrior by Scandal

"Shooting at the walls of heartache, bang bang." -- so cheesy. Whenever I hear that song, I imagine her singing with a Rocky Balboa accent -- I am duh warriuh.

Swallowed My Cellphone
07-08-2009, 03:34 PM
Journey - "Separate Ways (Worlds Apart)"But really, it's the video with the "air keyboard" that really puts this over the top into grated cheddar territory.

Hoopy Frood
07-08-2009, 04:12 PM
But really, it's the video with the "air keyboard" that really puts this over the top into grated cheddar territory.

Yeah.

Have you seen the "literal video" version? It's pretty amusing.

astorian
07-08-2009, 04:38 PM
Since you asked for "fromage," you need some French cheese. How about...

"Dominique (a nique a nique, il s'en allait tres simplement...)" by the Singing Nun?

Or, if you're in the mood for queso, there:

"Eres Tu" by Mocedades

Cheesey? You bet- but I bet people start singing along, whether they want to or not!

Captain_Awesome
07-08-2009, 05:02 PM
Wendy Carlos - I Want to Marry a Lighthouse Keeper
ELO - Mr. Blue Sky
Queen - Don't Stop Me Now
Billy Ocean - Caribbean Queen (No More Love on the Run)
Gloria Estefan and the Miami Sound Machine - Conga
Good Charlotte - Girls & Boys
Hall & Oates - Private Eyes
Hanson - MMMBop
Kenny Loggins - I'm allright
Manfred Mann's Earth Band - Blinded by the Light
The Monkees - Last Train to Clarksville
Motörhead - Ace of Spades
Run DMC - Walk This Way
Rush - Tom Sawyer
Tiffany - I Think We're Alone Now
Tony Basil - Hey Mickey
Van Halen - Jump
Thomas Dolby - She Blinded Me With Science

Obviously I'm not admitting to any of these.

Hoopy Frood
07-08-2009, 07:14 PM
The Jacksons with Mick Jagger - "State of Shock"

Rack-a-Bones
07-08-2009, 09:11 PM
Most of my picks are already in this thread but I didn't see Big Country's "In a Big Country."

The entire Footloose soundtrack and I'm not sure where you draw the line from Cheesy to perforating your own eardrums but what about that "Oh Ricky you're so fine" song?

Rack-a-Bones
07-08-2009, 09:20 PM
I don't see a lot of country mentioned here. Someone mentioned Achy Breaky Heart but how about

Shelly West - Jose Cuervo
Tracy Byrd - Watermelon Crawl
That song that goes "on my front porch in my swing justa swingin" *
Pretty much anything by John Denver
Lyle Lovett - That's no lady that's my wife

*ETA: Found it. John Anderson (http://new.music.yahoo.com/john-anderson/tracks/swingin--436978)

Rack-a-Bones
07-08-2009, 09:29 PM
Back to the hair bands

Ratt - Round and round
Cinderella - Gypsy Road

OK. gotta go dust off my cassettes now.

Eats_Crayons - please post your final cheesy concoction

astorian
07-08-2009, 11:05 PM
How about adding some spirituality to the mix...

"The Lord's Prayer" by Sister Janet Mead

digs
07-09-2009, 01:53 AM
Gotta take exception to a couple of mentions: Poco is NOT cheese (well, they did have a Not-Unlike-Chicago's-Peter-Cetera-Lounge-Act phase, but they got quickly back to country-rock basics).
And if you include " I Think We're Alone Now", don't use Tiffany's relatively lame cover.

And Mother's Lament is wonderful. Just ask my kids, who MADE me sing it while I washed them up (in Clapton, Bruce, and Baker's Overly Cockney Accents).

And by the way, "The angels replied...

'Oh, your baby has gone down the plug-hole!/
Your baby has gone down the plug... /
The poor li'l thing /
was so skinny and thin /
It shoulda been washed in a jug'... ( in a jug ) "

Come to think of it, my kids were sick little scamps!

not austin
07-09-2009, 03:53 AM
How about "Two little boys" by Rolf Harris?...

"If" by Bread...

Anything by the Nolan Sisters....

"Seasons in the Sun" by Terry Jacks....

Yookeroo
07-09-2009, 03:59 AM
Wendy Carlos - I Want to Marry a Lighthouse Keeper
ELO - Mr. Blue Sky
Queen - Don't Stop Me Now
Billy Ocean - Caribbean Queen (No More Love on the Run)
Gloria Estefan and the Miami Sound Machine - Conga
Good Charlotte - Girls & Boys
Hall & Oates - Private Eyes
Hanson - MMMBop
Kenny Loggins - I'm allright
Manfred Mann's Earth Band - Blinded by the Light
The Monkees - Last Train to Clarksville
Motörhead - Ace of Spades
Run DMC - Walk This Way
Rush - Tom Sawyer
Tiffany - I Think We're Alone Now
Tony Basil - Hey Mickey
Van Halen - Jump
Thomas Dolby - She Blinded Me With Science

Obviously I'm not admitting to any of these.

Your definition of "cheese" is much different than mine. For that matter, there are quite a few songs mentioned in this thread that I wouldn't consider cheese.

Algernon
07-09-2009, 08:43 AM
Seems to me that if the song is up-tempo, then it doesn't qualify as cheesy. Might be bad. Or annoying. But in my opinion, the song would have to be somewhat overwrought to be on any cheese list I'd create. Nonetheless, there are great cheesy songs listed already.

But, I don't think I've seen this song mentioned, which is unusual because I've heard people cite this song as the epitome of cheese:

You Light Up My Life, sung by Debbie Boone.

Wheelz
07-09-2009, 09:17 AM
OOH! Ooh! "Seasons in the Sun." Written by Rod McKuen, the Big Cheese of 60s poetry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfm-17pu6SQ

Now I'm making Horshack noises, I got to go lie down.Can't believe it took 60 posts for someone to mention this one. In my book, Seasons in the Sun wins the all-time cheese-covered trophy made of cheese and filled with liquid cheese.

Snickers
07-09-2009, 09:28 AM
Oh! Oh! Howsabout that country song: Mamas, don't let your sons grow up to be cowboys. Or Stand By Your Man - definitely cheesy goodness there.

Tuba, nice call on Seasons in the Sun. Urgh.

ajdebosco
07-09-2009, 09:49 AM
"Rock Me Gently" ~ Andy Kim: maybe more bubblegum than cheese, but hey, if it can be flavored, it can be both.

"Tomorrow" from the Annie soundtrack. Cheesiest standard fare for teeny talent show contestants and other prosti-tots.

"My Way" no, not Sinatra's version, I'm partial to the shamelessly cheesy version by the late Sid Vicious

Tequila Mockingbird
07-09-2009, 10:13 AM
My current favorite little nugget of cheesiness that hasn't been mentioned,

I Was Made For Loving You by KISS

astorian
07-09-2009, 10:54 AM
A little more spiritual cheese:

"Put Your Hand in the Hand" by Ocean (another favorite of Sixties nuns trying to "relate" to us young folks)

Trick Rider
07-09-2009, 11:32 AM
Has "Every Rose Has Its Thorn" been mentioned yet? I have yet to hear a cheesier song than that. It's like shoving Velveeta straight into your ear canal.

ajdebosco
07-09-2009, 11:52 AM
A little more spiritual cheese:

"Put Your Hand in the Hand" by Ocean (another favorite of Sixties nuns trying to "relate" to us young folks)

LOL! Big amen from this corner of the congregation. "Turn, Turn, Turn" ~ Pete Seeger, but made famous by the Byrds, based on the rivets in the book of Ecclesiastes.

On a differnt note, has anyone mentioned "I Will Always Love You" by Whitney Rooster; maybe not technically cheese, but waaay over the top vocal-wise.

"Ben" ~ Michael Jackson His vocal stylings were flawless, but a love song to a rat is, well, cheese plus cheese.

Stauderhorse
07-09-2009, 12:26 PM
Is it sad that I have about half of these songs on my iPod?

Where, I say, WHERE is the Meatloaf? We must have Two Out of Three Ain't Bad, I'd Do Anything For Love, and the mother of all overwrought ballads, Paradise By the Dashboard Light (which I personally think is hysterical and I can't listen to without laughing and singing the whole damn thing).

Can't mention Meatloaf without mentioning "Heaven Can Wait".

Give me all of your dreams
And let me go along on your way
Give me all of your prayers to sing
And Ill turn the night into the skylight of day

kingpengvin
07-09-2009, 01:05 PM
You ask for cheese?
I give you the true limburger list of songs.

Yes sir, when Actors decide they are rock stars you know you have entered Cheese nirvana!

Let's start with the silly sixties:

The Brady Bunch kids: "A time to Change (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyooALwfxO8&feature=fvst)" "Sunshine day (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaCCG7QkM_c&feature=fvst)"

Ok that was made for a show... what about actors who sing out of character to capitalize on their popularity.

Sure everyone Honks on Shatner's rendition of Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1Ar79f8aN8)
and Mr Tamborine man (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0hTtsqiFCc)but you want mind rattling awfulness why not be crooned by Ol' Pointy ears himself?

Bliss arrives in tuneless packages when Leonard Nimoy sings "Love to make love to you" and "Clouds"

But do you really want to blow your mind with gouda man? The put on your big assed headphones and sink into the fetid aroma of "The ballad of Bilbo Baggins (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XC73PHdQX04)".

Ok maybe we want a better style of actor singing

MacArthur Park (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHS8hj4TdT8) by the Late Sir Richard Harris is bound to make you wish he'd never made that damned cake.

Blast forward to the eighties when Eddie Murphy was the biggest star in Hollywood. Just when the world thought he could do no wrong he decided to give us a look into the mediocrity he was ready to fall into when he rocked us out and let us know that he just wanted to Party all the time (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDbpzjbXUZI)

Finally to honour a certain singer's passing how about that group of kids who could dance and sing a storm in the seventies? You know the group of brothers who dressed funky and had the little guy with the pipes who could belt out a tune.
Yeah I'm talkin' 'bout these brothers (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjfT1D1lg-E&feature=related) but wait... you should see them live for the full effect (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DhgP8fydHQ)

You are welcome....

Billy Baroo
07-09-2009, 01:25 PM
Gotta have one from Little River Band - "Reminiscing" perhaps.

Off the first vinyl I ever purchased: "Too Much Heaven" by the Bee Gees.

Mariemarie
07-09-2009, 01:35 PM
Would the epic-tragic- story-song genre of the mid 70s qualify as cheese?
I'm talking about
Tony Orlano & Dawn, "Tie a Yellow Ribbon"
Vicky Lawrence "the Night The Lights Went Out In Georgia"
Harry Chapin "Cat's In The Cradle"

Has anyone mentioned Helen Reddy's "Delta Dawn" (much cheesier than Tanya Tucker's performance)?

Would you like some whine with your cheese? Janis Ian "At Seventeen".

Mariemarie
07-09-2009, 01:48 PM
[QUOTE=kingpengvin;11323194]

You know the group of brothers who dressed funky and had the little guy with the pipes who could belt out a tune.
Yeah I'm talkin' 'bout these brothers (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjfT1D1lg-E&feature=related) but wait... you should see them live for the full effect (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DhgP8fydHQ)

QUOTE]

I watched the live video with the sound off, and Dayumm! Those little mofos are freakin hot, with their slim, toned, lithe young bods in their tight little jumpsuits with the big ol belts, dancing around. Jeez Louise.

Alastair Moonsong
07-09-2009, 11:56 PM
Too lazy to see if this has already been recommended, but

Steel Panther - "Death to All But Metal"

Eats_Crayons
07-10-2009, 08:06 AM
Your definition of "cheese" is much different than mine. For that matter, there are quite a few songs mentioned in this thread that I wouldn't consider cheese.There is a significant difference between "cheesy" and "cliche" although they often go hand in hand. There can be a great song that becomes iconic then gets overused as a sports anthem or whatnot and loses all its cool. I think a few songs in this thread are the ones that have fallen victim to having become cheesy via cliche, some are just cliche and don't really belong in the fromagerie.

There are so many great cheeses here, I'm going to have to distill my playlist carefully.

Edit: Perhaps I should separate it into pre-1980s cheese (since so much of the 80s bubblegum pop is cheesy) and move hairbands into its own category.

Algernon
07-10-2009, 09:23 AM
There is a significant difference between "cheesy" and "cliche" although they often go hand in hand.
Yep. I think there is definitely a distinction to be made.

Edit: Perhaps I should separate it into pre-1980s cheese (since so much of the 80s bubblegum pop is cheesy) and move hairbands into its own category.
Combining the responses in this thread with my own memory, I think the 1970s wins hands-down as the cheesiest decade of the rock era. Thank goodness for bands like Queen and Supertramp -- seems like everything else was either cheesy or disco.

Billy Rubin
07-12-2009, 09:57 PM
Well, no playlist of insipid earworms is complete without "brandy" and "Jimmy Loves Maryanne" by Looking glass. Then there's "rock me gently" and "Life is a rock but the radio rolled me"

Mehitabel
07-12-2009, 10:47 PM
Complete with a puppy, homelessness, a drunken parent, and child (and puppy!) sudden death, Dolly Parton's Me and Little Andy (http://www.lyricsfreak.com/d/dolly+parton/me+little+andy_20041942.html).

More Abba, lately immortalized by Andy Bernard and Here Comes Treble: "Take a Chance on Me".

Anyone else mention Paul Anka's "Having My Baby"?

The beginning early techno opening might make it a little too cool, but Paper Lace's "The Night Chicago Died" is pretty timeless.

When I was 13 I couldn't get enough of Kansas' "Dust in the Wind". Hon. mention to "Point of No Return".

Yes, I was another 70s kid. :D

TubaDiva
07-13-2009, 12:24 AM
More tunes from the dim recesses of my brain here.

Lou Christie -- "Lightning Strikes"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lr8l0DjB2Ss

"Dancing in the Moonlight" by King Harvest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMc8naeeSS8

"Summer Breeze" by Seals and Croft.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEF470mXqU4

ANYTHING by The Association -- "Cherish," "Never My Love," "Along Comes Mary"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVuZP6bIuk0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXN7wkSRVZg

Johnny Rivers! Pick an era, he's there with the rockin' pneumonia and the boogie woogie flu. But here's about the cheesiest thing he ever did:

"Poor Side of Town."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHcV1lmxszU

Marshall Tucker Band -- "Heard It In a Love Song."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eywiRLhRKtY

Here's another song by them but it's NOT cheesy, it's just great. "Can't You See"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEOV5vWfSgI

Neil Diamond! "Girl, You'll Be a Woman Soon"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xc_ZNWBx7-M

(Or anything else he ever sings, the drama!)

Dennis Yost and the Classics IV -- "Traces" or "Spooky" or "Stormy"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exAkJoIJHKI

Atlanta Rhythm Section - "Imaginary Lover." I STILL like this in its cheesy goodness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YD8nF16NiXY

"So Into You" is also a good ARS tune.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3y43KBM3Ik

Elvin Bishop! "Fooled Around and Fell In Love"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbmK3ZNLTFU

I heard Elvin the other night on "Prairie Home Companion" and he was still amazing.

Damn, all these are Southern bands so I guess you got to have some Skynyrd, y'all:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcceU3qyVzA

Stop me before I start doing the Shag.

DMC
07-13-2009, 01:02 AM
There's no way I can remember what songs have all been posted, so apologies if any of these have been mentioned by others.

Benny and the Jets - Elton John
Brandy - Looking Glass
Escape - Rupert Holmes
Horse with No Name - America
Cat's in the Cradle/Taxi - Harry Chapin
Bad Bad Leroy Brown - Jim Croce
Let Your Love Flow - Bellamy Brothers
Space Cowboy - Steve Miller
Black Water - Doobie Brothers
Jackie Blue - Ozark Mountain Daredevils
Cinderella - Firefall
The Candy Man - Sammy Davis, Jr.
Baker Street - Gerry Rafferty
Brick House/Three Times a Lady - Commodores
Seasons in the Sun - Terry Jacks
Another One Bites the Dust - Queen
Takin' Care of Business/You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet - BTO
Slow Ride - Foghat
Kiss You All Over - Exile
Brand New Key - Melanie
Car Wash - Rose Royce
My Sharona - The Knack
Your So Vain - Carly Simon
Fire and Rain - James Taylor
The Load Out/Stay - Jackson Browne
I Am Woman - Helen Reddy
Lowdown/Lido Shuffle - Boz Scaggs
Coconut - Harry Nilsson

PeacePlease
07-13-2009, 01:33 AM
I can't come into these threads anymore. I have just spent too much money that I don't have on iTunes. Trust me when I say that I had a ton of the songs mentioned. I apparently just had to run and buy the rest!!!

Lovin' it! I would like to see the final list(s), too!

Rico
07-13-2009, 02:51 AM
Jeans On (no idea who sang it, but the chorus is "I pull my blue jeans on / I pull my old blue jeans on")

David Dundas. 1976. Now known as Lord David Dundas. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lord_David_Dundas)

Now if you'll excuse me I need to go find the steel wool to scrub my brain clean of all these memories...

TubaDiva
07-13-2009, 11:07 AM
Just found the cheesiest version of a song by that all-time poseur -- but it's so good and so well done that I can laugh and dig it all at the same time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByomIJf5n9w

(From 1977, the 70s do seem to be the Era of the Big Cheese.)

I can stop this whenever I want.

Swallowed My Cellphone
07-13-2009, 03:05 PM
Hey, what's that song:

Feelings...
Nothing more than feelings...
Feeeeeeeeeeeelings! Whoa-whoa-whoa - feeeeeeeeeeeliiiiiings...

Who did that one?

TubaDiva
07-13-2009, 06:05 PM
Morris Albert. I thought I'd never forget his name. It's not like I haven't tried.

There was a time a working musician couldn't play a gig without having to do some of "Feelings." It was the "Achy-Breaky Heart" of the 70s.

It's been 30 years since I played it for a beauty contest while the contestants walked down the runway for freakin' ever -- enough that we vamped through "Feelings" about a dozen times -- there's probably something about that in the Geneva Convention now. I have scars, people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morris_Albert

"Feelings" was nominated for a Grammy Award for Song of the Year in 1976, losing out to Judy Collins', "Send in the Clowns". God, there's another one.

I'm starting to think that as 1939 was to classic movies 1976 was the zenith of Classic Cheese. (And the nadir of culture.)

Whoa-whoa-whoa-whoa.

ajdebosco
07-14-2009, 11:52 AM
From the film "Nashville", there was that x-tra cheesy tune:

"One, I love you" ~ Richard Baskin, performed by Henry Gibson & Ronee Blakley

At first I thought it was an old Dolly & Porter tune....

Swallowed My Cellphone
07-14-2009, 11:59 AM
"Feelings" was nominated for a Grammy Award for Song of the Year in 1976, losing out to Judy Collins', "Send in the Clowns". God, there's another one.I like the Krusty the Clown version of "Send in the Clowns."

Of course now I have this stuck in my head. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jt8Q7Fsa_Vs)

Crap!

kenobi 65
07-14-2009, 12:04 PM
There was a time a working musician couldn't play a gig without having to do some of "Feelings."

There was an installment of "The Gong Show", back in the late 70s, in which every single performer did "Feelings". I'm pretty certain that none of them were in on the joke until after they performed. The first one got a pretty good score, the second one got a passable score, and everyone else got gonged.

Jumpbass
07-14-2009, 12:06 PM
"Morning Train" by Sheena Easton

"Disco Duck" Rick Dees

"Itsy Bitsy Teeny Weeny Yellow Polka Dot Bikini"

Bleah. Now I have all those songs stuck in my head. At the same time.

kenobi 65
07-14-2009, 12:09 PM
Has anyone mentioned "Convoy", by C.W. McCall, yet?

And, in that same truckers-and-CB-radios vein, back in those days, I listened to country radio. There was an incredibly cheesy song* called Teddy Bear (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teddy_Bear_(Red_Sovine_song)), by a guy named Red Sovine, about a little crippled boy who would talk to truckers on his CB radio, and would tell them about how miserable his life was, and how he wanted to ride in a truck.

* - the term "song" is only loosely used here...Sovine basically just told a story, with some music playing in the background.

abbsey
07-14-2009, 04:11 PM
Year of the Cat - Al Stewart

Come on Eileen - Dexys Midnight Runners

Eats_Crayons
07-15-2009, 07:24 AM
Of course now I have this stuck in my head. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jt8Q7Fsa_Vs)
Thanks. I've going "Mee-mee! Mee mee mee mee mee-mee..." all morning. Yues, a great way to start the day. :smack:

I am working on a playlist, but I'm volunteering with a sporting event and my non-work hours are now crammed with all sorts of preparation that includes some wilderness first aid training. I've been able to peek at the thread, but unfortunately not contribute much. I can say that "Feelings" will not be on the list, unless it's the Beaker version. It is SO cheesy it borders on the edge of auditory-waterboarding of the soul, the "water" of the "wateboarding" being in fact lukewarm Velveeta.

Loisseau
07-15-2009, 02:27 PM
Eats_Crayons, the entire playlist of the "love" channel on Sirius/XM will do the trick.

Loisseau
07-15-2009, 02:44 PM
Eat_Crayons, here's the Sirius XM "Love" list . Fromage extraordinnaire!

http://www.dogstarradio.com/search_playlist.php?artist=&title=&channel=3&month=&date=&shour=&sampm=&stz=&ehour=&eampm=

C. Montgomery Burns
07-15-2009, 08:21 PM
Paul McCartney & Wings - Let 'Em In
Joe South - Games People Play
Blue Swede - Hooked On A Feeling

Algernon
07-16-2009, 09:17 AM
The folks who do the research at XM to put together a playlist like this must have intestinal blockage from all that cheese!

I only looked at the first page so I don't know if we have some good choices in this thread that they didn't list, but it looks like they have some good ones I don't remember seeing here.

Nice link Loisseau.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.