PDA

View Full Version : Cold Pizza - a gender thing?

Morgenstern
07-07-2009, 09:53 AM
I'm a male and I love cold pizza. In fact, I like it better the next day when it's been refrigerated overnight.

I've been told by two female friends now that cold pizza is a guy thing. They claim that women do not like and will not eat cold pizza.

So what's the deal? Is it a gender thing?

footnote: this was my best guess for the appropriate forum. Feel free to move it if it fits better somewhere else.

badbadrubberpiggy
07-07-2009, 09:56 AM
I'm a woman and I like cold pizza.

I've never heard of this being a gender thing.

Idlewild
07-07-2009, 10:00 AM
My husband reheats his pizza. I'm inclined just to grab it from the box and munch the next morning. Breakfast of champions.

Telperien
07-07-2009, 10:01 AM
I'm a woman and I like cold pizza, though (a) I prefer it warm and (b) cold pizza seems to give me heartburn.

Tapioca Dextrin
07-07-2009, 10:04 AM
I'm male and I don't like it. I don't really like leftover pizza at all in fact. That probably marks me out as being non-human :D

VanillaGorilla
07-07-2009, 10:05 AM
I'm a male and I love cold pizza. In fact, I like it better the next day when it's been refrigerated overnight.

I've been told by two female friends now that cold pizza is a guy thing. They claim that women do not like and will not eat cold pizza.

footnote: this was my best guess for the appropriate forum. Feel free to move it if it fits better somewhere else.

Damn you, now you've made me want pizza!
Mmm, pizza...

HazelNutCoffee
07-07-2009, 10:06 AM
I know a lot of girls who like cold pizza. Me included.

Cold pizza for breakfast = awesome.

MeanOldLady
07-07-2009, 10:07 AM
I've been told by two female friends now that cold pizza is a guy thing. They claim that women do not like and will not eat cold pizza.You know stupid women. Everyone likes cold pizza.

Morgenstern
07-07-2009, 10:09 AM
You know stupid women. Everyone likes cold pizza.

Must be... either that or they just want to see if I'll go to the trouble of putting it in the MV for them...

ashman165
07-07-2009, 10:13 AM

A recent* poll of my family actually implies that we all, except for me (I'm a dude), prefer cold pizza.

*I haven't spoken to my mother in about 10 years, but the remainder of my family and I did actually have a similar conversation a few months ago because I a.) don't generally eat leftovers, and b.) sure as hell won't eat them if they're worse off than they would be fresh.

salinqmind
07-07-2009, 10:13 AM
Your female friends are probably the types who agonize over whether the living room drapes should be 'mushroom' or 'foggy morning' beige. They probably freak out over a broken nail, and count calories religiously. Therefore, a lady doesn't gobble down cold pizza like a crass MAN, they must have it warmed up and on a pretty plate. They are making up the "gender" thing to justify their self-image.

I'm a female and I love cold pizza any time of the day or night. I never get any for breakfast because the man in the house steals it, but if it was there, I'd eat it. (Maybe put it in the microwave for a few seconds just to take the chill off.)

RandMcnally
07-07-2009, 10:17 AM
My fiancee loves cold pizza. Me, I love it reheated, cold doesn't do it for me.

apollonia
07-07-2009, 10:20 AM
I prefer warm pizza. Cold pizza isn't my bag.

twickster
07-07-2009, 10:21 AM
I consider pizza the only food that is equally delicious hot or cold.

twicks, female

Barrett Bonden
07-07-2009, 10:23 AM
I'm a female who loves cold pizza, particularly for breakfast.

MadTheSwine
07-07-2009, 10:25 AM
Besides tacos, a warm pizza(even reheated) is my favorite.Cold pizza is horrible.
Male.

DianaG
07-07-2009, 10:29 AM
I'm female, and I don't like cold pizza, but I'm reasonably sure these are unrelated facts.

kittenblue
07-07-2009, 10:40 AM
My son and I had this discussion just yesterday morning, as I was eating two slices of cold pizza with grilled vegetables and a Diet Pepsi for breakfast. I would have microwaved it a touch, but it was on a non-microwave plate, and I was too lazy to switch plates. I'm female, by the way. He thought I was crazy.

Khadaji
07-07-2009, 10:41 AM
Cold pizza is OK, but I prefer pizza freshly made right from the oven. Male, 47.

NicePete
07-07-2009, 10:46 AM
I am male and I've loved cold pizza since I was a teenager. My mother turned me on to it.

delphica
07-07-2009, 10:47 AM
Your female friends are probably the types who agonize over whether the living room drapes should be 'mushroom' or 'foggy morning' beige. They probably freak out over a broken nail, and count calories religiously. Therefore, a lady doesn't gobble down cold pizza like a crass MAN, they must have it warmed up and on a pretty plate. They are making up the "gender" thing to justify their self-image.

I'm very particular about my living room drapes, have really nice nails, and love cold pizza. And I'm female.

I think liking cold pizza is about liking cold pizza or not, it doesn't relate to home decor or manicures.

VunderBob
07-07-2009, 10:49 AM
My son is a guy's guy, and loathes cold pizza.

I'm also a guy's guy, and love it cold.

Myrrajh
07-07-2009, 10:51 AM
I'm a woman and I actually prefer cold pizza. Oh, sure, I'll eat it hot, but I enjoy it more for breakfast. Seems to me the flavors blend a bit more the longer it sits, and the toppings don't slide off.

Never heard of it being a gender specific issue.

wolfman
07-07-2009, 10:51 AM
I think the guy thing is that women will usually put in it the fridge, whereas many guys will forget it on the counter, and eat it the next morning anyway.

MeanOldLady
07-07-2009, 11:01 AM
Fridge? Too much work. Leave the pizza where it is, then eat it in the morning. The only bad part is once I did this, and ants ate my pizza. :( My original thought was to brush the ants off and enjoy, but that was too gross even for me.

Ellen Cherry
07-07-2009, 11:16 AM
As if gender has anything to do with preferring any type of food! :rolleyes:

Now here's a tip I pass on freely to ye cold pizza lovers ... who also eat salad. Cut up cold leftover pizza into crouton-like cubes. Cheese, pepperoni or another one topping pizza such as mushroom works well. I generally use kitchen shears to do the cutting.

It makes a great addition to a Big Salad!

Ephemera
07-07-2009, 11:45 AM
By cold, do you mean refrigerated, or no longer hot? I'm not a big fan of cold pizza, but if it's left in the microwave or oven over night, it's just as tasty as the night before.

I tend to prefer most of my foods within ten degrees of room temperature, though.

suranyi
07-07-2009, 11:59 AM
I'm a guy, and I don't like cold pizza. I'll microwave it the next day.

Cat Fight
07-07-2009, 12:02 PM
If there's any gender connection, i think it's just due to the stereotype that bachelors, especially college boys, don't have a choice but to eat cold pizza for breakfast – there's nothing else in their fridge but chopsticks and ketchup packets. Or that women only eat pizza when they're drunk or high and regret it so much the next morning they wouldn't think of consuming more. As someone who loves leftovers for breakfast and knows plenty of gourmand guys, I say bully to both.

Sigmagirl
07-07-2009, 12:13 PM
I'm a girl and I love cold pizza. My opinion is that pizza is best when it's fresh and hot, but when it's left over and cold, leave it that way. Heating it up is like toasting moldy bread. It's still moldy. Just eat cold pizza and own it!

crowmanyclouds
07-07-2009, 12:20 PM
... Cold pizza for breakfast ...Warm Coke to wash it down? (http://www.christinelavin.com/index.php?page=songs&category=The_Bellevue_Years&display=136)
In a pinch, will cold spaghetti do? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOeRITh9Mto)

CMC fnord!

Who_me?
07-07-2009, 12:22 PM
I buy pizza and put in in the refrigerator before eating it.

Baracus
07-07-2009, 12:26 PM
I am a guy and do not like cold pizza. If bringing leftover pizza in to work for lunch I will bring along some paper plates so I can pop it in the microwave. My wife has no qualms about eating pizza cold though.

RhapsodyInBlue
07-07-2009, 12:29 PM
Warm Coke to wash it down? (http://www.christinelavin.com/index.php?page=songs&category=The_Bellevue_Years&display=136)
In a pinch, will cold spaghetti do? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOeRITh9Mto)

CMC fnord!

Yep, Christine Lavin nailed it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOeRITh9Mto

ShibbOleth
07-07-2009, 12:31 PM
Male, cannot stomach cold pizza. I like my pizza to stop just short of burning my mouth. I don't even really care for "warm" pizza.

Anaamika
07-07-2009, 12:32 PM
I like cold pizza and I'm a woman , and the SO, who is a man, can't stand the stuff and looks at me askance when I eat it.

The Scrivener
07-07-2009, 12:36 PM
I love pizza leftovers, cold or hot or even just somewhat warmed up, and will happily eat it while standing up at the kitchen sink.

Female, BTW.

Oredigger77
07-07-2009, 12:37 PM
One of my tests when trying out a new pizza place is how well their pizzas do the next day. I think pizza is equally good hot or cold but some types hold up better to the fridge (large floppy slices don't seem to work as well). Unless their pizza doesn't deteriorate once it’s cooled they are crossed off my list.

Male, 26

In general I don't like breakfast and I mainly eat my dinner leftovers cold then next morning.

Ephemera
07-07-2009, 12:46 PM
Male, cannot stomach cold pizza. I like my pizza to stop just short of burning my mouth. I don't even really care for "warm" pizza.

I don't understand that. I'm so busy trying to make sure I don't get blisters in situations like that that I don't even taste the pizza.

MeanOldLady
07-07-2009, 12:58 PM
I buy pizza and put in in the refrigerator before eating it.I don't even microwave frozen pizza.

dangermom
07-07-2009, 01:07 PM
I used to like cold pizza, but it seems to have worn off. Now I want pizza, though. Only the word is starting to look meaningless, like words do when you see them too much...

Mahaloth
07-07-2009, 01:40 PM
I consider pizza the only food that is equally delicious hot or cold.

twicks, female

What about KFC the next day(the chicken, only, of course)?

NicePete
07-07-2009, 01:43 PM
As if gender has anything to do with preferring any type of food! :rolleyes:

Now here's a tip I pass on freely to ye cold pizza lovers ... who also eat salad. Cut up cold leftover pizza into crouton-like cubes. Cheese, pepperoni or another one topping pizza such as mushroom works well. I generally use kitchen shears to do the cutting.

It makes a great addition to a Big Salad!

What an excellent idea!

Covered_In_Bees!
07-07-2009, 01:45 PM
I'm a male and I hate cold pizza. I also hate reheated pizza. Pizza is only good fresh from the oven.

Thudlow Boink
07-07-2009, 01:48 PM
I've been told by two female friends now that cold pizza is a guy thing. They claim that women do not like and will not eat cold pizza.Have we definitively established the bogusness of this yet?

Cold pizza is better than no pizza, but I'd much rather reheat it than eat it cold. (male)

Infovore
07-07-2009, 01:54 PM
Female with serious tomboy tendencies. I don't like cold pizza. Reheated is fine, though.

Nametag
07-07-2009, 02:06 PM
Warm coke? No! Cold pizza and warm beer is the breakfast of champions!

For the unwashed, this means pizza left in the box on the counter overnight, along with half a beer that sat open all night.

Der Trihs
07-07-2009, 02:49 PM
Male here; I like my leftover pizza reheated; my brother likes it cold.

I consider pizza the only food that is equally delicious hot or cold.What about KFC the next day(the chicken, only, of course)?Mmmm, cold chicken. That I like.

As if gender has anything to do with preferring any type of food! :rolleyes:Actually, as I recall men do on average like meat more than women, and women like sweets on average more than men. That's a statistical thing though, of course; men eat chocolate and women eat steaks, they just don't do so as often as the other gender.

Malleus, Incus, Stapes!
07-07-2009, 03:28 PM
FWIW, I hate cold pizza as much as I love hot pizza. I can't understand how people eat it cold. Also, it never tastes as good after being reheated.

MIS!, female

Ephemera
07-07-2009, 03:34 PM
Huh. This whole time, I've thought you were a guy, MIS!

TWDuke
07-07-2009, 03:37 PM
In order of pizza preference:

1: Hot, freshly cooked.
2: Reheated in conventional oven.
3: Straight from refrigerator.
4: Room temperature.
5,000,000,000: Reheated in microwave.

alexandra
07-07-2009, 03:37 PM
Oh man, cold pizza...LOVE IT.

Pizza should be straight-from-the-oven hot or properly cold. No middle ground, thank you. Really good Italian restaurant pizza can get away with being lukewarm, but that's it.

Dewey Finn
07-07-2009, 03:38 PM
I'm a guy, and I like cold pizza, although it depends on what kind of pizza it is. Your typical Pizza Hut pan pizza is terrible cold (and isn't much better hot) but a good thin-crust pizza is really good cold.

TWDuke
07-07-2009, 03:51 PM
** double post **

amarinth
07-07-2009, 04:03 PM
It's a texture thing - cold pizza is just unpleasant. (Actually, that's true of many foods that were originally served hot).

Reheated pizza is fine.

Monstera deliciosa
07-07-2009, 05:10 PM
Female. I like pizza freshly hot, reheated, cold, and room temperature. While cold is my least favorite of the possible choices, it's still pretty good.

Leiko
07-07-2009, 05:47 PM
Female.

I like certain pizza cold, but some (especially anything with shrimp) needs to be reheated to be good.

Neidhart
07-07-2009, 06:29 PM
Male.

Cold pizza is disgusting.

(I won't eat cold sandwiches either.)

pulykamell
07-07-2009, 06:31 PM
I'm a guy, and I like cold pizza, although it depends on what kind of pizza it is. Your typical Pizza Hut pan pizza is terrible cold (and isn't much better hot) but a good thin-crust pizza is really good cold.

I agree that it depends on the pizza. Neapolitan pizza is great hot, but terrible cold, room temperature, or even more than after about 10 or 15 minutes of being served. Other types of pizza, like a Chicago-style thin crust are equally good hot or cold (my preference being hot, but leftover Chicago thin is great in the morning, too.) Pizza Hut is barely edible warm, but completely awful cold.

twickster
07-07-2009, 08:16 PM
What about KFC the next day(the chicken, only, of course)?
I'm not a big fried chicken fan.

Gala Matrix Fire
07-07-2009, 09:09 PM
This is the first I've heard about a gender factor in liking cold pizza.

I like it. I'm female. I don't remember any of my former pizza restaurant coworkers disliking cold pizza, a staple of our diets.

anya marie
07-08-2009, 02:28 AM
I eat cold pizza too, and am female

cochrane
07-08-2009, 02:47 AM
I used to eat cold pizza when I was a kid. But now that I have my very own microwave oven, I'd rather nuke it for a few seconds and warm it back up. I'm male, by the way.

Olentzero
07-08-2009, 04:20 AM
Male cold pizza consumer here, although I guess I'm a bit of a cretin even by those standards because the PH Stuffed Crust pizza is absolutely delicious cold.

What beats cold pizza for breakfast hands down five ways from Sunday blindfolded, however, is cold Ethiopian food for breakfast. The injeera has had all night to soak up the spicy sauce goodness from the food and veggies wrapped up within and has become a spongy riot of flavor. Now thems is good times.

dwc1970
07-08-2009, 02:28 PM
I'm a guy and I can't even stomach the mere thought of eating cold pizza, blecch!!! In fact, most things that are supposed to always be served hot I can't eat cold and vice versa.

wakingdream
07-08-2009, 11:56 PM
I really don't like cold pizza. My wife loves it. I get grossed out at the thought of leaving pizza out overnight (instead of in the fridge) and then eating it, she does it all the time. Perhaps we're exceptions, but as the rest of this thread seems to indicate, I really don't think it has anything to do with gender at all.

tumbleddown
07-09-2009, 12:13 AM
I'm girl-shaped and I like room-temperature pizza, especially for breakfast the next day. I do not, however, like cold pizza, as in straight from the fridge. If it's been made cold, then I have to reheat it to a piping hot temperature before I'll eat it.

susan
07-09-2009, 12:53 AM
Female, cold.

wolfman
07-09-2009, 01:22 AM
Female, cold.

Perhaps not a great introduction summary if you were putting it on a dating site.

sorry, just kinda made me laugh when I first saw it. ;)

rjk
07-09-2009, 06:10 PM
What I don't understand is how you end up with leftovers?

When Zyada and I go out for pizza, I finish mine and eat the crusts she leaves behind.

(If I did have some for breakfast I'd have to reheat it. But the salad idea sounds great!)

Dewey Finn
07-09-2009, 07:14 PM
I used to eat cold pizza when I was a kid. But now that I have my very own microwave oven, I'd rather nuke it for a few seconds and warm it back up. I'm male, by the way.
Microwaving pizza is OK, if you're in a hurry, but I find that if you reheat it in the regular oven (in mine, ten minutes at 350 degrees), it tastes better. (The microwave oven tends to make it soggy.)

robardin
07-09-2009, 07:18 PM
Male here. I can stomach cold pizza, but my preference is to let pizza cool, then reheat it so it's got a nice crisp texture. When I can hold a slice up vertically by the crust and it doesn't flop, folding it causes the bread to crack, and and the cheese has gone from yellowish-white to orangish-yellow from melting and re-melting, but not so's the cheese "liquified"... THAT'S the way I like it!

Tapioca Dextrin
07-09-2009, 07:25 PM
I just added up the scores and it goes like this

Out of 21 Male reponses, 7 expressed a preference for cold pizza

Out of 19 Female responses, 17 expressed a preference for cold pizza

Make of that what you will. I'm off for some nice hot food :D

gigi
07-09-2009, 08:24 PM
Woman, and I'll take pizza any temperature except frozen.

Trick Rider
07-09-2009, 10:08 PM
Male. I used to eat cold pizza all the time, though I always heat it up now. It's interesting that it's considered a male trait when it seems to have more of a following among females. Especially since I'm a fairly effeminate male. xD

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.