PDA

View Full Version : Deathlands Book Series

Yorikke
07-07-2009, 11:18 AM
I just read about this series of post-apocalyptic fiction (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deathlands) on Mental Floss. It sounds interesting, but overwhelming. Is anyone familiar with it, and if so, can you recommend some stand-alone books to start with? The first one seems to be out of print, or I'd start there.

Joe

Atrael
07-07-2009, 03:45 PM
You really have to start with the first one or the rest won't make a lot of sense. Pilgrimage to Hell sets the tone, introduces the characters, and explains a lot of what the hell is going on. You can easily find it online at Amazon or you could try paperbackswap.com and see if someone has to trade. As I recall they turn up in most used books stores often enough that I see them regularly. The series is entertaining, but does get a bit formulaic after a while.

xizor
07-07-2009, 05:46 PM
I have read about 20 of them, including the first dozen or so. Once the core group of characters and back story is established (maybe by book 7 or 8, whenever the woman doctor joins the crew), the rest can be read out order. I recall Mars Arena is easy to follow as a standalone, although it kind of felt like I was reading a video game. Cannibal Moon could probably be stand-alone also.

Tristan
07-07-2009, 06:55 PM
This is not the series I thought it was. Maybe someone can point me to the one I'm thinking of....

It's after a nuclear attack (I think). A guy (politician?) takes himself an a herd of followers up to Montana, stripping gold and equipment out of the area they pass through. They set up a small nation-state up there based on some pretty Libertarian ideals.

Any clue?

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.