PDA

View Full Version : The Colony premires tonight on Discovery

alphaboi867
07-21-2009, 08:50 PM
The Colony (http://dsc.discovery.com/tv/colony/colony.html?siclientid=3429&sitrackingid=80056944&campaign=YHO|the+colony|Y_Colony+-+Alone|YHO+TC+-+Branded+-+Show+-+Alone&yahoomatchtype=std&ovadid=58639898511) starts tonight on the Discovery Channel.

alphaboi867
07-21-2009, 10:21 PM
Never mind. :smack: This was even faker that I expected. A "cross-section" of Angelinos consits of; doctor, nurse, marine biologist, independent contractor, computer engineer, machinist, martial arts instructor, solar technologist, aerospace engineer, and mechanical engineer. :dubious: Where's the wannabe actor, the anal bleacher, the woman with the MFA in conceptual theatre who's casted 3 sitcoms or the 7-11 clerk?

Sage Rat
07-22-2009, 12:48 AM
Never mind. :smack: This was even faker that I expected. A "cross-section" of Angelinos consits of; doctor, nurse, marine biologist, independent contractor, computer engineer, machinist, martial arts instructor, solar technologist, aerospace engineer, and mechanical engineer. :dubious: Where's the wannabe actor, the anal bleacher, the woman with the MFA in conceptual theatre who's casted 3 sitcoms or the 7-11 clerk?

Yeah, my first thought (reading the description--I haven't seen the show) was, "Hm, that'll be interesting to see what they do about their crazy drunkard homeless man."

Grumman
07-22-2009, 04:46 AM
How is this a bad thing? If you want to watch a bunch of retards self-destruct, go watch Survivor. Personally I'd far rather see how far a skilled group can go, instead of seeing how much dead weight you can load them with before they collapse.

enalzi
07-22-2009, 09:16 AM
Yeah, the idea is that this show is an "experiment." They want professionals to see what the could do. You get a bunch of random people, and they'll be dead within a week from drinking the water.

c_goat
07-22-2009, 01:24 PM
I liked the show. It's informative to see the types of things I'd need to do to survive such a scenario. How to build a water filter was very interesting and worth learning.

Where's the wannabe actor, the anal bleacher, the woman with the MFA in conceptual theatre who's casted 3 sitcoms or the 7-11 clerk?

I think those people are the biker gang... ;)

Eyebrows 0f Doom
07-22-2009, 08:50 PM
I don't really get this show. It seems too "fake" to be real, but too "real" to be a scripted show. After one day of being there, when the new group of four arrives, they freak out and don't trust them, go through their stuff, almost don't let them in, etc. How's it not obvious that they're just more participants in the show? I mean, if they said "No, we're not letting you in," were the producers supposed to just say, "Oh well you guys can go home now. No TV show for you." And the manufactured drama with the bikers banging the walls. Why would the people inside be scared? They're on a TV show. The world did not really just end. I know they have to just play along with it, but it just seems so... fake.

Especially since there are obviously camera operators inside with them.

Sage Rat
07-22-2009, 09:42 PM
I don't really get this show. It seems too "fake" to be real, but too "real" to be a scripted show. After one day of being there, when the new group of four arrives, they freak out and don't trust them, go through their stuff, almost don't let them in, etc. How's it not obvious that they're just more participants in the show? I mean, if they said "No, we're not letting you in," were the producers supposed to just say, "Oh well you guys can go home now. No TV show for you." And the manufactured drama with the bikers banging the walls. Why would the people inside be scared? They're on a TV show. The world did not really just end. I know they have to just play along with it, but it just seems so... fake.

Especially since there are obviously camera operators inside with them.

They could also just go outside of the game zone and get some Starbucks. A band of ruffians isn't any more nor less real than the lack of water. Ultimately, it's a "real" threat that they'll have to take into account as they continue.

lobotomyboy63
07-30-2009, 01:28 PM
It's flawed but interesting.

I wonder about the legal issues. Say, for instance, that they accidentally poison themselves with the water they filter. It makes sense to have a doctor in the "cast," but I gather they have experts off- camera as well. Maybe it's not redundant because if anything happens in the middle of the night and the experts aren't there some help would be available. OTOH legalities: would the doctor agree to treat any of them?

As for the bikers etc. the producers didn't tell them. For all the participants knew, these guys broke into the compound. But I wonder what would happen if Vladimir got slingshot happy and hit one, causing a biker to lose his balance and get hurt.

I'd like fewer experts explaining to me what's going on, like the psychologist saying you may have to do things against your usual norms if you want to survive. 1) Duh, 2) Don't interpret for me, and 3) Stop making me re-suspend disbelief.

duality72
08-12-2009, 02:03 PM
My annoyances:

1) The "compound" is way too big for a handful of people to competently defend (not that they've worried that much about defense). I would rather they had some sort of keep and baileys/wards or some sort of plan. Despite (finally) spending some time addressing security, they still seem to have no particular plan or assigned responsibilities other than hope no one gets inside in the first place.

2) You built a shower before locking down the compound? Really?

3) I really don't get their fascination with power, other than the producers may be guiding them to focus on it. It definitely shouldn't have taken priority over security when there were manual alternatives (don't they have any handsaws?). I have mixed feelings on the gassifier.

4) Same with the truck. Obviously the producers are setting them up for some sort of "escape" to safety, I'm guessing a restored government-run camp or something, but that's really something I'd think you would work on as very low priority at this point behind water, food, and security.

5) Yes, the experts are annoying. In particular, I wish they would talk about some mistakes and maybe alternatives or something instead of just regurgitating what's happening in expert-speak.

6) The drama. I don't know; it would be less interesting if the people weren't invested. On the other hand, people freaking out when there's a camera crew right there, planes flying overhead, probably nearby traffic, .... Get a grip, people.

On the whole, it seems less an experiment in post-apocalyptic survival (which would have overrun this group in a heartbeat) and more a producer-led "experience" of sorts. Entertaining enough to keep watching, but damned annoying at times.

lobotomyboy63
08-13-2009, 11:51 AM
The guys on motorcycles, yeah, I could believe they're real threats. People with hand guns, sure. But in the last episode they encountered some guys who had a truck with a gun attached, military style. It's quite a stretch to imagine the colonists would think they're genuine...like the local police would let them tool around with such a mounted weapon? Like the colonists believe the producers of the show would let these guys harm them?

It might also be more realistic if they had fitted the warehouse with cameras that could be controlled remotely. I could buy that such things "disappear" with time as people get into their roles, but if there are flesh-and-blood camera men standing there, not so much.

All that leads me to wonder, would they be acting as they do if the cameras weren't there? Do they argue violently at times because they want to look like a big shot on camera, getting their fifteen minutes of fame while they can?

rainy
08-13-2009, 06:46 PM
How exactly did they present the "start" of the show. I got into it late, but I keep thinking "Why aren't they living inside the local Wal-Mart?"

I hope the producers addressed this before they made scavenging for stuff so prominent.

lobotomyboy63
08-13-2009, 07:26 PM
How exactly did they present the "start" of the show. I got into it late, but I keep thinking "Why aren't they living inside the local Wal-Mart?"

I hope the producers addressed this before they made scavenging for stuff so prominent.

Episode #1 here:

http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/the-colony-arrival-and-survival-full-episode.html

rainy
08-14-2009, 09:10 AM
Thanks, lobotomyboy63, for the link.

Tristan
08-14-2009, 09:29 AM
I watched the first 3 episodes last night on Discovery online.

I like it. I believe there are some basic flaws, like the group is clearly focused on short term rather than long term.

I think a few of the folks have clearly gotten into the mindset. It would be intresting to see what's happening behind the scenes, or when the camera's aren't around. If the isolation is decently done, with the camera folks not talking or interacting with folks at all, it would be easy for them to quickly become just part of the scenery.

I did like it, and will be watching the rest of them.

I agree that the focus on power and such is a bit weird.

lobotomyboy63
08-17-2009, 08:29 PM
I notice Discovery is re-airing several episodes tonight. It looks like they're in the middle of 1, then will show 2-3-1-2-3.

Dolores Reborn
09-14-2009, 02:49 PM
It's a month later, and I've just watched the last few episodes. (I missed the first few.)

I find all the science stuff fascinating. Making a water purifier from an ozone maker? Kewl! The electric car was fun.

Introducing the professor's wife into the mix was interesting. That was real emotion, I think. But I doubt she'd been starving on the streets for 39 days! ;)

So it's fun, but I can rarely suspend my disbelief.

rainy
09-14-2009, 03:44 PM
So it's fun, but I can rarely suspend my disbelief.

Agreed. I think of it as a themed "Junkyard Wars." Either the participants are doing a good job of getting into their roles dispite the omni-present camera crew, or the producers are doing a very good job of editing for mood. But the fatal flaw of the show is the psych part of their post apocolyptic setting can never capture the "its all gone, there's nothing else for me to loose" mindset. I find the confrontations especially distracting because of this.

duality72
09-14-2009, 05:27 PM
True, but at least they've now gone a month with little food, lost a lot of weight, probably hungry all the time. Plus having lived in very primitive conditions for all that time. I can at least buy some frayed nerves as part of the drama now.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.