PDA

View Full Version : Don't You Just LOVE "Foghorn Leghorn"?

Markxxx
07-28-2009, 03:01 PM
I like him because he isn't all self-righteous like Bugs Bunny. Often Foggy starts trouble as much as being the one the trouble is inflicted upon.

Plus you feel so good when he gets blowed up or something. Remember when he was babysitting some other hen's kid and the kid is a science geek and Foghorn grabs the test tube and says (as he shakes the test tube), "What you got there boy, sody pop? Watch it FI-IZZZZZ") Then it blows him up.

Ephemera
07-28-2009, 03:03 PM
No. In point of fact, he might be my least favorite Loony Tunes character.

Two Many Cats
07-28-2009, 03:09 PM
Well, I for one love Foghorn Leghorn. Especially the early ones where he said things like "Open the window, Richard. That's why it's there." and "Barbeque my hamhocks, son!" I think he's underappreciated.

Markxxx
07-28-2009, 03:12 PM

That's because you haven't watched him enough to appreciate him properly :D

Least favourite? How could anyone perfer Pepe LePew over Foghorn :)

Der Trihs
07-28-2009, 03:13 PM
I always found him pretty funny. And less one sided than Bugs Bunny; as you say, Foghorn is just as likely to get blown up as to do the blowing up. Bugs almost never gets the short end of the stick.

jk1245
07-28-2009, 03:15 PM
"Fortunately, I keep my feathers numbered for just such an emergency"

The Tweety look-alike science geek son was great.

An yeah, Pepe LePew blows.

Biffy the Elephant Shrew
07-28-2009, 03:30 PM
The correct answer is "Ee-yey-esssssss!"

(You guys don't like Pepe LePew? He gets more pussy than any of ya.)

zamboniracer
07-28-2009, 03:38 PM
The ones where Foghorn and the dog are one-upping each other are hilarious!

"You're built too low to the ground son. I keep pitching 'em and you keep missing 'em."

Mr. Moto
07-28-2009, 03:59 PM

Boy's about as sharp as a bowling ball.

Alice The Goon
07-28-2009, 04:01 PM
Ah say, ah say, ah say, AH DOOOO loves me some Foghorn Leghorn, boy!

He's funny.

Johnny L.A.
07-28-2009, 04:05 PM
Ah say, ah say, ah say, AH DOOOO loves me some Foghorn Leghorn, boy!

Beaten!

Max Torque
07-28-2009, 04:07 PM
He is one of the more quotable characters. So many great lines.

"Two half-nothin's is a whole nothin'!"
"I'm not a fish, son! I need air! My lungs crave air!"
"That boy's about as sharp as a sack of wet mice."
"That boy's about as sharp as a pound of wet liver."
"You're built too low, son, the fast ones go right over ya!"

And thanks to Artie Lange, we have this one: "There's - I say - there's something a little ya-HOO about a boy who's never played baseball!"

Floppy Joe
07-28-2009, 04:08 PM
Long been a fan of Foghorn. Of course, you know, I say you KNOW that Foghorn is patterned after one Senator Beauregard Claghorn. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Senator_Claghorn)

Bryan Ekers
07-28-2009, 05:54 PM
"Schnook!"

I was usually rooting for the dog.

Markxxx
07-28-2009, 06:28 PM
"Schnook!"

I was usually rooting for the dog.

I rooted for the dog too, that is why Foghorn is so great, you can both love and hate him.

DocCathode
07-28-2009, 06:35 PM
I did love Foghorn Leghorn.

Then, one night, he showed up at my house in a funny costume. I thought wacky hijinks would ensue. This feeling was reinforced when he took out some two by fours and began to build something on my lawn. Then, he stood there in his funny white robe and lit the wooden thing on fire.

"Ah say, Ah say we don't cotton to no Hebrews around these parts. Y'all need to vamooose!"

Then things got nasty.

Lumpy
07-28-2009, 07:06 PM
One thing you have to understand about Foghorn Leghorn's ongoing battle with the farm dog is that down south there's an old tradition of playing really cruel, mean-spirited tricks on people you're trying to get back at. Things like blowing up outhouses with dynamite, dismantling automobiles, spiking watermelons with laxatives, etc. I suspect someone on the writers staff hailed from Georgia.

cochrane
07-28-2009, 08:04 PM
Two words: "Rope Limit."

Bryan Ekers
07-28-2009, 08:47 PM
By the way, why the dog sound like he was from Brooklyn?

"They left me all alone, rrrrRRRR-cluck!"

JThunder
07-28-2009, 08:55 PM
By the way, why the dog sound like he was from Brooklyn?Damned yankee.

BrainGlutton
07-28-2009, 11:55 PM
Long been a fan of Foghorn. Of course, you know, I say you KNOW that Foghorn is patterned after one Senator Beauregard Claghorn. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Senator_Claghorn)

Of course, I say, of course both were but primitive primeval archetypes for Elrod the Albino! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cerebus_the_Aardvark#Supporting_characters)

Cunctator
07-29-2009, 02:34 AM
No. In point of fact, he might be my least favorite Loony Tunes character.I agree. Boring and unhumorous.

Junior Spaceman
07-29-2009, 03:54 AM
Funny that this thread topic should come up, because only yesterday I discovered the Senator on some old Fred Allen radio shows.

http://www.archive.org/details/otr_fredallen

Grrr!
07-29-2009, 04:50 AM
Lookit here son, I say son, did ya see that hawk after those hens? He scared 'em! That Rhode Island Red turned white. Then blue. Rhode Island. Red, white, and blue. That's a joke, son. A flag waver. You're built too low. The fast ones go over your head. Ya got a hole in your glove. I keep pitchin' 'em and you keep missin' 'em. Ya gotta keep your eye on the ball. Eye. Ball. I almost had a gag, son. Joke, that is.

Foghorn is my favorite of all time.

I say, a whole bevy of Foghorn quotes!! (http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0029619/quotes)

Khadaji
07-29-2009, 05:28 AM
I found his speech patterns annoying.

Scuba_Ben
07-29-2009, 11:37 AM
That's because you haven't watched him enough to appreciate him properly :D

Least favourite? How could anyone perfer Pepe LePew over Foghorn :)
Pepe le Pew cartoons are more formulaic than Popeye cartoons -- but the outrageous faux French accent is so funny!

carnivorousplant
07-29-2009, 12:18 PM
down south there's an old tradition of playing really cruel, mean-spirited tricks on people you're trying to get back at.

You're not from around here, are you? :)

TommyTutone
07-29-2009, 12:35 PM
I didn't like him as a kid, but as an adult who has spent the last 20 years in the south, he's up there near the top for me.

That woman is like an outboard motor, just'a pt-pt-pt-pt-pt-sputter.

prodicus
07-29-2009, 01:14 PM
One of my favourites. I recall at the very beginning of one of his Looney Tunes, it fades in on him asleep (in a hammock, iirc) and he says "zzzzz, I say zzzzzz..."

This_Just_In...
07-29-2009, 01:49 PM
You've got to, I say, you've got to keep on your toes, toes that is.

Nzinga, Seated
07-29-2009, 02:06 PM
Foghorn is funny as hell. Maybe the funniest, although most of them cracked me up pretty good.

Enright3
07-29-2009, 04:05 PM
That dog's about as low as a snake full of buckshot!

I'm a big fan of Foghorn Leghorn, but they're all good. Pepe LePew is probably my least favorite.

Clothahump
07-29-2009, 04:12 PM
Let's bury - I say, let's bury the hatchet, but not in anyone's head, boy.

That boy's as thick as a whale sandwich.

She remi - I say, she reminds me of Paul Revere's ride. A little light in the belfry.

Gal reminds me of the highway between Fort Worth and Dallas. No curves.

aldiboronti
07-29-2009, 04:20 PM

To my great delight someone put It's A Joke Son up on the net last year, the movie starring Kenny Delmar as Senator Claghorn. It was an absolute joy to see Foghorn Leghorn in human form! (As a bonus it also starred Una Merkel, one of my favorite actresses.)

The film is a must-see for all Foghorn fans.

StGermain
07-29-2009, 04:35 PM
Sure, I like Foghorn Leghorn. Either as Original Recipe or Extra Crispy. I don't go for that new roasted style, though.

StG

Drunky Smurf
07-29-2009, 04:47 PM
I love him too and right now I'm listening to the Fred Allen show from the link above and holy crap Senator Foghorn Claghorn is on and he is cracking me up. Now I have to check out the movie.

ETA: and holy moly here it is

http://www.archive.org/details/its_a_joke_son

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.