PDA

View Full Version : Old Songs

Wantstoknow
08-14-2009, 07:00 PM
Does anyone know anything about this song. All I know are a few lyrics. It goes like this," You're my ripe, ripe tomatoe. You're my sweet, sweet potatoe. You're my little brown sugar bowl. You're my little bit of honey that the bees ain't found..." My grandmother taught me this song about 40 years ago. I would appreciate any info anyone can offer. I think it may have been recorded in the 20's or 30's possibly earlier, maybe later.

twickster
08-14-2009, 07:36 PM
Welcome to the Boards, Wantstoknow. I'm moving your thread to Cafe Society, which is where we discuss music and other performing arts and other creative endeavors.

Check out our forum descriptions, as well as the threads in About This Message Board (ATMB) on rules and etiquette -- there's good information there to help you get oriented.

Enjoy your time here!

twickster, moderator

MishMash
08-14-2009, 09:14 PM
http://www.starbittrune.com/Jack/littlepotato.html This song talks about sweet potatoes but none of the other things.

dropzone
08-14-2009, 10:23 PM
It seems to me I heard that song before, but who knows where or when? The bit about "my little brown sugar bowl" shows your instincts that it was from the 20s or earlier are correct, but there were so blasted many songs like it that came out in the first quarter of the 20th, most of which weren't all that popular, that the likelihood that a random internet user would know it is very low. Check out some of the early phonograph websites and ask the guys running them if it sounds familiar.

GoodSeed
05-15-2010, 01:54 AM
Just found this on another site

http://www.olemiss.edu/depts/general_library/archives/finding_aids/MUM00344.html

19. 1917 -- "A Little Bit o'Honey" by Carrie Jacobs Bond (m) and W.G. Wilson (w); The Bond Shop (Chicago). Cover: non-caricatured black woman holding a child.

You's ma little black baby wid a turned up nose, An' a little bunch o'wool upon yo' head; You's got dimples in yo' elbows an' wrinkles in yo' toes, An' a mouf lak a watermellon red.

You' ma sweet, sweet pertater, you's ma ripe, ripe termater, You's ma purty little black sugar ball; You's a little bit o'honey dat de bees ain't foun', You's ma own pickaninny -- dat's all!

You's de onlies' little darlin' in de whole roun' worl', An' you's got yo' little fingahs on my heart; You's ma little bit o'woolly headed brown eyed gal Dat I'se always longin' for when we're apart.

For I doan know what I'd do it it wasn't jes' fo' you, You's ma purty little black sugar ball; You's a little bit o'honey dat de bees ain't foun', You's ma own pickaninny -- dat's all!

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.