PDA

View Full Version : Top Chef season 6 starts tonight.(8/19)

wolfman
08-19-2009, 03:30 AM
Just a reminder for the Top chef fans, the new season starts tonight, and I believe the Masters series ends tonight.

Set your TEVOs people.

How many arrogant 'Molecular Gastronomists' will there be to hate in this one I wonder? ;)

Tom Tildrum
08-19-2009, 05:45 AM
Too much Top Chef too fast. They're risking overexposure.

wolfman
08-19-2009, 09:32 PM
Well Top Tittie is off to a good start, At least A- cleavage by Padma tonight.

SPOILERS for episode 1

Too many chefs to keep names straight. Standard types represented. Mom, Ass, Meek chicks, Bland gay guy, Tattooed girl, couple foreigners, and a bunch of interchangeable frat boys.

One of the mousey women went home tonight, the other should not be long for the show. One snarky arrogant ass, who should have a few near blowouts but will likely stay till the end. Bearded winner guy may be another arrogant ass too, hard to tell so far. the Haitian boat refugee guy seems cool, but I imagine he will make a traditional dish that the judges hate at some point. Same with Puerto Rican guy, frying a steak for Wolfgang Puck?, WTF!

Pierced girl got an edit that makes me think she will last a while too, and may actually listen and improve. The Gold chip Mom will probably last playing safe middle-of-the-road until the herd is culled down.

The rest are too hard to notice or remember.

Hippy Hollow
08-19-2009, 11:16 PM
I'm still watching the episode, but the tattooed Latina freaks me out. Neck tattoos scare the crap out of me. And it's not even on the side, it's on the front... OW.

The only places more painful for a tat would be the back of one's knees, or the taint...

enalzi
08-19-2009, 11:18 PM
Well here we go again. After the borefest of last season, I hope they can bring it back to style. Unfortunately they're still doing the whole "show the short clip in the middle of the commercial break," which is really just a way to show more commercials.

Still can't really tell anyone apart yet. There's like four guys that look the same: french guy, brothers, and some other guy. I had a good feeling about the winner before he won. He didn't seem arrogant, sort of just saying "If this dish doesn't win, then I'm screwed because I rocked this dish." Sexist, arrogant guy needs to go though.

I'm also happy with the choice of loser. I knew she wasn't long for this show when she basically ignored the fact that her dish wasn't good and just kept saying that she was trying to do something new and different. Reminds of the ostrich egg girl.

The fact is, when you're on the bottom, you have to do two things: own up to your mistakes, and then defend what you did right.

Wile E
08-19-2009, 11:20 PM
I'm hoping the ass named Mike gets his ass whipped by some girls and goes home soon.

Erdosain
08-20-2009, 12:01 AM
I'm still watching the episode, but the tattooed Latina freaks me out. Neck tattoos scare the crap out of me. And it's not even on the side, it's on the front... OW.

The only places more painful for a tat would be the back of one's knees, or the taint...

And those stretched out earlobes were not very appetizing, I have to say. I loved the look everyone gave her when she said she was using seitan as a main ingredient. Maybe she was going to rock a carob dessert, too.

Also, I have to ask, are all the chefs alcoholics? I know this is a reality show, but it's also kind of a job interview. I might rein in the whole "my weakness is that I get wasted and make bad decisions."

LVBoPeep
08-20-2009, 12:33 AM
I know everyone thinks Vegas is a bad choice (maybe not EVERYONE but already read a few critics saying that) for Top Chef, but I was glad they had a Basque chef (Martin?, I think). Maybe it wasn't intentional, but the top half of our state has alot of incredibly good Basque restaurants and there is a strong Basque culture around Elko especially. Not Basque myself, but their food ROCKS and I wish they had it down here so I didn't have to pine for my once or twice a year treat.

wolfman
08-20-2009, 12:39 AM
Ohh man, I love the Basque food around Reno. SO freaking good. I have driven through Elko many times, but never stopped. Do they have any good place you know of?

singular1
08-20-2009, 06:02 AM
Mr. singular called the loser as soon as they showed her not unpacking because she was superstitious. At least it's a faux-hawk-free cast.
Man, there are a lot of really regrettable tattoos this season, aren't there?

singular1
08-20-2009, 06:12 AM
*missed the edit window*
And how freaking stupid do you have to be to allow your teammate who just said "I've never shucked a clam before" be the first up to do just that in a competition?!?!?! KeeRYST, that pissed me off!

And it cannot be said enough that Mike is the most arrogant chef this season, inspiring a hotbed of hatred and hurricane-strength eye-rolling in the singular household, thereby assuring he will last well into the season.

Siege
08-20-2009, 06:14 AM
I'm hoping the ass named Mike gets his ass whipped by some girls and goes home soon.

I'm with you. However, he's already got beat by a girl once, and right now she looks like one of the better chefs. I'm just a bit sad that his cooking does seem to be pretty good.

I liked the guy who won and the Haitian guy, although I didn't quite get what his vice was. I also would have loved to have seen someone pick gluttony as a vice.

Here's a question. One girl said her vices were beer, chocolate, bacon, and doughnuts. Unless you belong to a religion which makes eating certain food sinful, like our bad Jewish girl whose vice was loving pork, I wouldn't consider individual foods as vices in and of themselves. Weaknesses, perhaps, but not vices.

IvoryTowerDenizen
08-20-2009, 07:13 AM
I liked the guy who won and the Haitian guy, although I didn't quite get what his vice was. I also would have loved to have seen someone pick gluttony as a vice.

His vice was that he couldn't let his dangerous, traumatic journey to the US "go". He still lets it impact him, more than he would like, I guess. Rather poignant.

StGermain
08-20-2009, 08:08 AM
Too many chefs for me to tell them apart at this point. But what a difference from the cast of Hell's Kitchen!

I sort of felt the Haitian guy was deliberately playing on the sympathies of the judges. I think I'd've preferred to see the mise-en-place relay later in the season, but the idiocy of putting the girl who has never shucked a clam in the clam leg was mind-blowing.

StG

Athena
08-20-2009, 08:27 AM
Anyone else absolutely HATING the big overlay ads on the right that no longer stay in the bottom right corner, but have migrated up to the middle of the screen and cover people's faces?

Bravo should be shot for that crap. What next? An ad right in the fookin' middle of the screen?

LVBoPeep
08-20-2009, 09:28 AM
Ohh man, I love the Basque food around Reno. SO freaking good. I have driven through Elko many times, but never stopped. Do they have any good place you know of?

The Star is the busiest and my favorite- but they are crazy busy and you have to get there early or have a reservation. Their Baked Lamb is to die for, but also one of their most popular dishes and they've told me that they will reserve it if you let them know at your reservation or at the beginning of your wait time (they have a cool bar so we often are happy to spend an hour or two waiting). On days they are open for lunch though, you can get right in usually and they have a good "Boarder's Lunch" with beef and peppers that is delicious.

If you cannot get into the Star- right across the street is BilToki's- which my friend who lives in Elko likes a little better than the Star and they have more tables and less of a wait I think. Winnemucca has The Martin too, which I have heard beats them all.

JuliaSqueezer
08-20-2009, 09:29 AM
Yeah, I hate the corner-sitting ad creep.

Just think of the possibilities for a product-placement drinking game! Gladware! (glub) GE! (glub)... til you're face down in your own drool before the first real commercial break.

GrandWino
08-20-2009, 09:42 AM
I also would have loved to have seen someone pick gluttony as a vice.

I thought the bigger girl w/ the piercings basically used gluttony, but called her weakness "excess." As in, "I eat an excess of french fries." I really liked her and think she will do pretty well.

I like the more conservative of the two brothers. Kind of crazy that one has a Michelin star and the other was a James Beard nominee...are they the love children of Jacque Pepin or something?

I also really like the bearded guy that won last night. He reminds me of an indie rock band guy. He seems to have a lot of talent and I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do.

Wile E
08-20-2009, 12:10 PM
I thought the dishes would have to be based on one of the seven deadly sins which I thought would be more interesting than them coming up with weaknesses to fit their dishes (like the Haitian guy and the rack guy). BTW, I sure hope Haitian guy's trip to the US and cancer woman's cancer don't keep coming up in every episode.

One of the people I was watching it with kept going on about the earlobe girl and how gross that was to look at, so we were happy to see her go first.

MLS
08-20-2009, 12:10 PM
I was completely grossed out by both the stretched ears gal and the one with the mouth piercings. I really hope that one also gets sent home soon. I have to close my eyes every time she comes on the screen lest I barf.

MaxTheVool
08-20-2009, 12:19 PM
I really don't like just randomly giving someone immunity. That takes the gambling metaphor a bit too far, I think.

So far, I like:
Preeti (who couldn't open the clams) (and is disturbingly androgynous)
Kevin (who won)
Both the brothers
The Haitian guy (once I got used to his accent/style of speech)

Dislike:
Mike (of course) (but then we pretty much have to)
The lame woman who won the yellow chip and then didn't try for the $15K. I mean, either you're good enough to have a reasonable chance to win Top Chef or you aren't. If you are, then you won't be losing in round 1 anyhow, so go for the $15K. If you're not, then 1 round of immunity won't help, and might as well take a shot at the $15K. Wimp.

enalzi
08-20-2009, 12:25 PM
I thought the dishes would have to be based on one of the seven deadly sins which I thought would be more interesting than them coming up with weaknesses to fit their dishes (like the Haitian guy and the rack guy)..

They did that in the second season, when there were only seven people left.

Wile E
08-20-2009, 01:10 PM
They did that in the second season, when there were only seven people left.

Oh yeah, that's why it seemed familiar. But it's not like they haven't repeated challenges before.

enalzi
08-20-2009, 01:22 PM
Yeah, but they have what, 17 chefs? Wouldn't have really worked out.
Also, the blogs are up at Bravo's website. It sounds to me like there's a really good group this year, unlike last season. I wonder how they compare to Season 4.

DianaG
08-20-2009, 01:34 PM
I really don't like just randomly giving someone immunity. That takes the gambling metaphor a bit too far, I think.
I agree. "We've assembled the most accomplished group of contestants ever, and yet we're going to reward them based on pure random chance!!!"

The lame woman who won the yellow chip and then didn't try for the $15K. I mean, either you're good enough to have a reasonable chance to win Top Chef or you aren't. If you are, then you won't be losing in round 1 anyhow, so go for the $15K. If you're not, then 1 round of immunity won't help, and might as well take a shot at the $15K. Wimp.
Also agreed.

I actually would have preferred that the mushmouthed blond woman be eliminated. She managed to not only cook the seafood badly, and make a crappy bland sauce, but to fail to explain either her inspiration or her failure coherently. I think we're looking at this year's Leah, only even more boring.

StGermain
08-20-2009, 01:49 PM
Wolfgang Puck was a hoot. The look on Tom's face when he through that doughnut was priceless.

StG

enalzi
08-20-2009, 01:53 PM
I agree. "We've assembled the most accomplished group of contestants ever, and yet we're going to reward them based on pure random chance!!!"

I'm not too worried, unless they end up doing it every episode. I think it was a one time thing. Anyone who needs immunity on the first challenge is not going to last long on this show.

singular1
08-20-2009, 03:43 PM
I just found out one thing that bothers me about this seasons contestants, although to be fair it bothers me about every reality show. Most of these cheftestants (lord, how I loather that term) were recruited, which means that they were chosen for their "character" as much as their ability (although their abilities do appear to be outstanding). So that means as loathsome as Mike is, he's being encouraged to be as misogynist and arrogant as possible to make good tv. I just watched a few web-exclusive clips on Hulu, and it's obvious that his clips are selected so that we are sure to hate him. I hate being manipulated like that. I guess I got spoiled by the Top Chef Masters series, where a chef's asshattedness wasn't a major focus of the show. I did like Gail Simmons's comment (http://www.bravotv.com/top-chef/blogs/gail-simmons/las-vegas-vice) on his attitude, though.

enalzi
08-20-2009, 05:08 PM
I'm well aware of the selective editting and leading questions that all reality shows have, but it's pretty hard to have a good opinion of someone who says something like "There's no way a girl should be able to beat me."

Captain Amazing
08-20-2009, 05:56 PM
I'm well aware of the selective editting and leading questions that all reality shows have, but it's pretty hard to have a good opinion of someone who says something like "There's no way a girl should be able to beat me."

That's just common sense. The cooties would get in the food. But I do think there's a pretty strong set of cooks this season. Obviously it's just the first episode, but I haven't noticed anyone who I'd say obviously doesn't belong there.

ThirdOne
08-20-2009, 06:10 PM
Gods, Mike is an asshat! He makes me not want to watch, but I want to see how they perform. And they always seem to keep one idiot who just pisses off everyone, until either they win or get sent home late in the season.

I was disappointed at so many of them not knowing the definition of vice and would bet, if they could have, they would have sent Eve home, too. Her lackluster, flavourless food was at least prepared better. I haven't had seitan, but I've heard it's just awful. Why in the world would one prepare it, shoddily at that, and serve it to class A chefs?

I was appalled the team let Preeti shuck clams after freakin telling them she had never done that before! WTF was wrong with them? They deserved to lose for that.

It will be interesting to see how this season progresses.

Ferret Herder
08-20-2009, 07:09 PM
I was disappointed at so many of them not knowing the definition of vice and would bet, if they could have, they would have sent Eve home, too. Her lackluster, flavourless food was at least prepared better. I haven't had seitan, but I've heard it's just awful. Why in the world would one prepare it, shoddily at that, and serve it to class A chefs?
I've had it - it can be decent or crappy, depending on how you prepare it. I still wouldn't haul it out in a competition like this.

mhendo
08-21-2009, 12:14 AM
For me, once again, perhaps the most disappointing part of the show is how many extremely successful (in terms of both culinary accomplishments and financial success) chefs there are in the group. If i wanted to see a contest between a bunch of chefs with Beard awards and Michelin stars, i'd watch Iron Chef or something.

For me, a show like Top Chef (and this is true for Project Runway, too) is most interesting and appealing when it gives a chance to people who have not yet really had a whole lot of success, but clearly have talent. Whether it's young chefs just starting out, or older chefs who have been running their own catering business and now want a shot at restaurant glory, i much prefer thinking that the contestants are green and hungry enough that both the glory and the financial benefit of winning would be of real, lasting benefit to them.

A whole bunch of already-successful executive chefs just isn't that interesting to me.
And how freaking stupid do you have to be to allow your teammate who just said "I've never shucked a clam before" be the first up to do just that in a competition?!?!?! KeeRYST, that pissed me off!I know! The others on her team were slagging her off for being so slow, but she told them beforehand that she'd never done it before. It was clear that at least one of her teammates knew how to do it, so why none of them stepped up and offered to switch is beyond me.His vice was that he couldn't let his dangerous, traumatic journey to the US "go". He still lets it impact him, more than he would like, I guess. Rather poignant.Poignant? Bleh.I sort of felt the Haitian guy was deliberately playing on the sympathies of the judges. That's pretty much what i was thinking.

MovieMogul
08-21-2009, 05:55 AM
I know! The others on her team were slagging her off for being so slow, but she told them beforehand that she'd never done it before. It was clear that at least one of her teammates knew how to do it, so why none of them stepped up and offered to switch is beyond me.It seemed to me that a couple people staked out their preference for the relay early and she very meekly went along with it. They really didn't ask, but she also didn't exactly volunteer that info either (she asked if a clam was like an oyster, but didn't say "I've never done this before" until after the race had started).

And I think she looks like the dude from Slumdog Millionaire.

sohvan
08-21-2009, 06:39 AM
I liked:
- Kevin the bearded guy, who won the elimination challenge
- The brothers
- The girl who won the quickfire
- Wolfang Puck was great as the guest judge
- Giving extra incentive through cash prices in the regular competitions

I didn't like
- Giving 15.000$ in the quickfire, as opposed to spreading it out to the eliminations. Everyone already has an incentive to do good in the quickfire, as you can only win in it. it's the elimination challenges that could use that more, so people would play to win instead of playing it safe. I'd rather see 3 elimination challenge winners get 5k each, than for one quickfire winner getting 15k.
- The sexist guy obviously. While there is a lot of editing done in Top Chef, there is only so much editing can do. That guy is clearly a douche.
- Tattoos
- The regular judges. I'm already missing Gael Greene, Jay Rayner, and even James Oseland a lot. Tom, Gail and Padma just don't seem as good at commenting the dishes to me.

I thought the clam shucking girl was stupid for not speaking out more loudly and thinking she could just figure it out on the spot. Her team was stupid for letting her do it after they heard she had never done it before.

Overall it wasn't as bad as I feared after coming from Top Chef Masters, but I'm still missing the Masters atmosphere and the critics a lot. Hopefully there'll be a second season coming out next year.

cactus waltz
08-21-2009, 10:10 AM
Overall it wasn't as bad as I feared after coming from Top Chef Masters, but I'm still missing the Masters atmosphere and the critics a lot. Hopefully there'll be a second season coming out next year.

Yes. I'm already missing the atmosphere and inspirations from Top Chef Masters quite a bit.

Random thoughts:

1. Wow, so many tattoos. It seems like half of the contestants are inked.

2. I too was grossed out by Jen Z, a.k.a. Earlobe Person Who Can't Defend Her Dish Properly. She was number one on my list for people who have to go. Number two and three are Mike and the girl with the lip piercing. For a chef to have a mouth piercing seems like strange and off-putting to me.

Nobody has really grown on me yet. Hector seems pretty lame after having seen Rick Bayliss rock the haute cuisine mexican food on Top Chef Masters. Kevin is probably my most favorite thus far.

mhendo
08-21-2009, 12:36 PM
It seemed to me that a couple people staked out their preference for the relay early and she very meekly went along with it. They really didn't ask, but she also didn't exactly volunteer that info either (she asked if a clam was like an oyster, but didn't say "I've never done this before" until after the race had started)..Pop quiz:

If someone said to you, "Do you shuck a clam the same way that you shuck an oyster?" would you assume that they had shucked clams before, or that they had not shucked clams before?

enalzi
08-21-2009, 12:38 PM
I didn't like
- Giving 15.000$ in the quickfire, as opposed to spreading it out to the eliminations. Everyone already has an incentive to do good in the quickfire, as you can only win in it. it's the elimination challenges that could use that more, so people would play to win instead of playing it safe. I'd rather see 3 elimination challenge winners get 5k each, than for one quickfire winner getting 15k.

Like I said earlier, it's only been one episode so that might be mixed around. And they usually give away prizes for the winners of the elimination challenge as the seasons go on.

Ferret Herder
08-21-2009, 01:06 PM
Like I said earlier, it's only been one episode so that might be mixed around. And they usually give away prizes for the winners of the elimination challenge as the seasons go on.
That sounds like a whole lot of money for just a Quickfire win - have there been prizes that extravagant so early before? I thought a previous (and later in the season) winner got something like an autographed diSpiritu cookbook as kind of a lame prize, at one point.

SkeptiJess
08-21-2009, 08:32 PM
Wow -- nobody even mentioned Ashley Eyebrows? My daughter and I were mesmerized by her... I know looks shouldn't count in a competition like this, but surely a chef shouldn't be so homely her face causes onlookers to lose their appetites.

YWalker
08-22-2009, 11:16 AM
1. Wow, so many tattoos. It seems like half of the contestants are inked.

Heh. We have a family friend who was executive chef at a country club, and now owns a catering business. Last season, my son said "I think Robert ought to go on Top Chef. Only I don't think he has enough piercings to win."

I'm a bit taken aback watching both this and Hell's Kitchen and seeing how many of these people smoke. (And I guess it just seems all the weirder since it's gotten to the point that almost nobody smokes in scripted shows anymore.) I guess maybe, like firefighters, they're around heat and smoke all the time, so they feel that it doesn't bother them --- but I really don't see how they expect to be able to taste things when they smoke all the time.

YWalker
08-22-2009, 11:19 AM
Wow -- nobody even mentioned Ashley Eyebrows? My daughter and I were mesmerized by her... I know looks shouldn't count in a competition like this, but surely a chef shouldn't be so homely her face causes onlookers to lose their appetites.
Homely? I thought she was rather cute --- although, like Preeti, I found her looks to be very androgynous. At first, I thought she looked very much like a teenage boy.

silenus
08-22-2009, 11:46 AM
It's a good thing most chefs are hidden from the public view, because if I saw some of these people in a kitchen, I'd walk out immediately.

enalzi
08-22-2009, 01:25 PM
To everyone who's surprised by the tattoos and the smoking and the cursing, I highly recommend the book Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain. Most kitchens don't look like Eric Ripert's.

DianaG
08-22-2009, 03:13 PM
To everyone who's surprised by the tattoos and the smoking and the cursing (and the piercings, don't forget the piercings) when was the last time you left Mayberry? Seriously, is this a big deal? I see similar stuff at the mall.

enalzi
08-22-2009, 03:35 PM
I think everyone expects chefs to look like this:
http://georgewbush-whitehouse.archives.gov/chef/images/chef_main.jpg

silenus
08-22-2009, 04:13 PM
To everyone who's surprised by the tattoos and the smoking and the cursing (and the piercings, don't forget the piercings) when was the last time you left Mayberry? Seriously, is this a big deal? I see similar stuff at the mall.

Big whoop. So do I. I also see dog shit on the street. I don't want anything to do with it, either.

Ferret Herder
08-22-2009, 04:15 PM
There's even a tattooed and lobe-stretched tech at the vet I bring my ferret to; he's also a sweetheart, and very capable.

As long as these contestants aren't wearing faux-hawks, it's all good for me!

DianaG
08-22-2009, 04:21 PM
Big whoop. So do I. I also see dog shit on the street. I don't want anything to do with it, either.
Leaving aside that you just compared a person with tattoos to animal droppings, why on earth would you think that having tattoos or piercings makes one a less capable chef?

mhendo
08-22-2009, 06:07 PM
To everyone who's surprised by the tattoos and the smoking and the cursing (and the piercings, don't forget the piercings) when was the last time you left Mayberry? Seriously, is this a big deal? I see similar stuff at the mall.Yeah, i was wondering the same thing.

silenus
08-22-2009, 06:20 PM
I seriously question the taste of anybody so adorned as some of the chefs on this program this season. If they have no taste in one area, there is a good chance they won't have good taste in another. Since my money and time are by definition finite, it behooves me to seek out chefs and restaurants that have better odds of pleasing my palate.

I find piercings exceedingly repelling. Especially facial ones. Three rings in the lip and a tat on the front of your throat? I won't even talk to you, much less eat anything you cook. Maybe I miss out on some great people and some great food. I'd almost guarantee that I do. But my hide-bound prejudices are mine, and I'll stick with people who believe that the idea is to leave this life with the same number of holes you started with! :D

YWalker
08-22-2009, 06:23 PM
Oh, good grief. I see similar things at the mall as well, and in particular among the staff at the local Whole Foods. However, among most groups of professionals I deal with, seeing that large a percentage of the group having significant tattoos or piercings or both is unusual.

As for smoking? I'm in North Carolina, one of the cheapest places to buy cigarettes in the country. Again, if I had a room of a dozen people, I would be surprised to see more than 3 or 4 of them be smokers. And, as I pointed out earlier, having a habit that hampered your sense of taste seems like a very off thing in people whose profession depends upon that sense.

Eyebrows 0f Doom
08-22-2009, 06:56 PM
I seriously question the taste of anybody so adorned as some of the chefs on this program this season. If they have no taste in one area, there is a good chance they won't have good taste in another. Since my money and time are by definition finite, it behooves me to seek out chefs and restaurants that have better odds of pleasing my palate.
How in the world does how someone look affect how they cook!? It's not like they are line cooks in some roadside diner. They're all professional chefs with successful businesses or have worked in prestigious restaurants. I personally would probably never have any of their food because those places tend to be very expensive. But your problems with them are simply idiotic.

Three rings in the lip and a tat on the front of your throat? I won't even talk to you
Sounds like they're the winners in this situation.

silenus
08-22-2009, 06:57 PM
Sounds like they're the winners in this situation.

I can live with that.

mhendo
08-22-2009, 07:00 PM
I seriously question the taste of anybody so adorned as some of the chefs on this program this season. If they have no taste in one area, there is a good chance they won't have good taste in another. Since my money and time are by definition finite, it behooves me to seek out chefs and restaurants that have better odds of pleasing my palate.And yet it seems that some of the chefs with tattoos and piercings are actually really great cooks. And some of the tattooed and pierced folks on Project Runway are great designers. And this applies across a whole bunch of other professions, from computer programming to dentistry.

Anyway, i've seen pictures of you in some of the shirts you wear. When it comes to questions of taste, i think i'll defer to the guys and gals with the tattoos.

silenus
08-22-2009, 07:22 PM
And some hookers have a heart of gold. There might even be an honest televangelist out there for all I know. But I think piercings are exceptionally stupid and ugly. Does my feeling on this mean I'm going to miss out on some good food somewhere? Definitely. I'll probably miss some good conversations with interesting people, too. But if I have a choice between a restaurant where the staff is inked and pierced, and one where they aren't, I know where I'm eating dinner. They made their fashion choice and are being judged on it, as I made mine. :D

mhendo
08-22-2009, 08:46 PM
Each to their own. I guess i'm just surprised. I never before suspected you of being irrationally intolerant.

silenus
08-22-2009, 08:52 PM
Hey! I'll have you know that my biases and bigotry are highly rational! :D

cactus waltz
08-23-2009, 03:31 AM
For the record, I don't mind tattoos, I was just kind of stunned to see that many tattoos at the same time. Not just single tattoos either, but multiple tattoos and sleeves.

When it comes to mouth piercings, it just gives me associations of uncleanliness.

Smoking, I think, comes with the hectic life of being a line cook. The damage of taste is something they are willing to compromise in order to grind five thousand risottos.

Siege
08-23-2009, 06:16 AM
Keep in mind, too. these are people who are paid to be creative, original, and different and who like thinking of themselves that way. You don't try to get on Top Chef because you can make the best risotto using the standard recipe and techniques, but because you think you can take that risotto and do something no one else has done with it.

From what I've seen of people who want to be creative and different, tattoos and piercings are one way of showing the world that you're not just one of the crowd and that you're willing to step outside the lines.

StGermain
08-23-2009, 09:32 AM
But having watched Top Chef Masters, I saw few tattoos or piercings among the best in the country. These folks didn't appear to have had anything to prove when they young. Sure, they're mostly older, but obviously, as artists they didn't feel the need to differentiate themmselves from the pack by any means other than their food.

StG

DianaG
08-23-2009, 04:10 PM
But having watched Top Chef Masters, I saw few tattoos or piercings among the best in the country.
But you did see a few, and primarily on the younger ones. Hardly indicative of anything other than a generational difference.

joyfool
08-23-2009, 04:49 PM
All I've got to add to this discussion thus far is that the girl with the mouth piercings (Jess?) is my favorite. I hope she goes far.

Siege
08-23-2009, 06:36 PM
Right now, I'd pick Kevin, the guy who won the elimination round, and blonde Jen to win. Kevin reminds me of some of the guys I knew when I hung out with the Society for Creative Anachronism, and Jen seems like she really knows her stuff. Mike looks like he might have the talent to back up his arrogance, more's the pity, and he could go far.

tim314
08-23-2009, 06:38 PM
I've been watching the show since season 1, and this is the first time I can say I've eaten at one of the cheftestant's restaurants. I had an absolutely delicious meal at Eve's eponymous restaurant in Ann Arbor. (Great service, too.) Hopefully she'll rebound from her struggles with the first challenge.

Jelymag
08-24-2009, 09:53 AM
I didn't even realize there was a new season! Last season was so miserably boring, and I started hearing the rumors of cancellation, so I assumed that it was over. I don't watch too much else on Bravo, so I guess I just missed the commercials for the new season. Yay! It looks better than last season already...

Death of Rats
08-24-2009, 10:36 AM
Of the bottom four from this week I think that Jess is the only one with a chance. She, at least, was able to accept and identify where she went wrong with her dish and learn from her mistake. Eve was just a mess who managed to fail at both expressing the theme behind the challenge and cooking the food properly. Her only saving grace was not serving the judges seitan. The others spent too much time trying to justify why their mistake was somehow a bold and cutting edge choice. That only works if you make it taste good.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.