PDA

View Full Version : Why are bock beers associated with goats?

Diamonds02
09-08-2009, 09:21 PM
This is something that I noticed lately, I'm sure there has to be an explanation.

MPB in Salt Lake
09-08-2009, 09:28 PM
I think that "Bock" is a German (maybe also Dutch) name for a kind of a goat..........

silenus
09-08-2009, 09:35 PM
Capricorn. (http://beeradvocate.com/articles/295)

panamajack
09-08-2009, 09:37 PM
Bock is cognate with buck; in German it could mean a buck as in English, or a similar male animal (like a goat or ram). I don't know if the Bock in beer comes from the same root (considering it's supposed to signify a strong beer) or not.

MPB in Salt Lake
09-08-2009, 09:41 PM
BTW Diamonds02---Now tomorrow, I will be forced to hit the state liquor store (only place in Utah you can buy stronger beer than 3.2% alc.) to grab a few bottles of assorted bocks, and maybe a couple of Spaten Octoberfests, even though I am well stocked with assorted watered down "Utah" beers.

I am highly suggestable.............

NDP
09-08-2009, 11:36 PM
BTW Diamonds02---Now tomorrow, I will be forced to hit the state liquor store (only place in Utah you can buy stronger beer than 3.2% alc.) to grab a few bottles of assorted bocks, and maybe a couple of Spaten Octoberfests, even though I am well stocked with assorted watered down "Utah" beers.

I am highly suggestable.............

If that's the case may I recommend buying a bottle or two of Paulaner Salavator Double Bock (it's mentioned in the article linked by silenus)? I just downed a bottle of it yesterday.

silenus
09-09-2009, 12:06 AM
Anything made by Paulaner is delicious.

footballisplayedwithyourfeet
09-09-2009, 04:45 AM
Bok (without the c) is the dutch word for male goats and deerlike (i'm sure there is a better word for it) animals. And Bokbier does indeed come with pictures of male (mountain) goats on the labels.

Also, Bokbier isn't especially stronger than normal beer. Most of the ones you get at the supermarket will be around 5%. There are of course also some stronger ones.

If anyone is in Amsterdam between the 30 okt and 1 nov, be sure to check out the Bokbierfestival in the Beurs van Berlage (near central station). They have a lot of different Bockbeers from holland, belgium and Germany.

Olentzero
09-09-2009, 07:02 AM
Anything made by Paulaner is delicious.Quoted for truth.

Michael Jackson's (no, the other one) Beer Companion attributes the naming of the beer style (usually a strong, sometimes also dark, lager) to the Saxon city of Einbeck (alternatively pronounced Einbock). The similarity with the German word for 'goat' is, he says, coincidental. Hasn't stopped brewers from appropriating the play on words, obviously.

If you can find it (and it's fairly easy to do), pick up some Urbock 23 from Eggenberg. It are yummiest.

panamajack
09-09-2009, 12:02 PM
I don't know if you were talking to me, footballer, but when I was talking about Bock being strong, I wasn't just talking about alcohol level. It's more of the flavor and content. In fact, in German, it's quantified (http://www.germanbeerinstitute.com/Starkbier.html) - 16% minimum extract level.

Though I was wrong about Bock as in ram influencing the naming. The 'Einbecker' theory seems far more likely than the Capricorn theory, especially when you know that spelling wasn't always normalized. This page (http://www.einbecker.com/flycms/en/screen/6/-/Einbecker+Ur-Bock.html) (from a perhaps slightly biased source) gives a little background.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.