PDA

View Full Version : Looking for footage of Dave Parker's throws in 1979 all-star game.

crypto
10-17-2009, 06:13 PM
I am not sure if this is the appropriate place to post this, but I thought it would get the most looks here.

Anyway, I've you-tubed this to death, and can't find them.

Dave Parker, Pittsburgh Pirate right fielder, had two amazing throws in this game, played at the Seattle Kingdome (I believe). One was a 360 spin in right field, throwing a runner out at 3rd base. The other was the single greatest throw I've ever seen. He gunned down a runner at the plate from right field with a no-bounce bullet to the catcher.

If anyone can provide a link, that would be :cool:

Thanks!

samclem
10-17-2009, 07:06 PM
I'm not much of a you tube finder.

Just wanted to add some info. On that throw to gun the guy down at third--That's because he(Parker) had lost a high pop-up(hit by Jim Rice) in the lights, and then recovered it to throw Rice out at third, Rice trying to stretch a fluke double into a triple.

The throw to home plate catcher Gary Carter to end the bottom of the eighth was definitely on the fly. He tagged out a sliding Brian Downing.

Cardinal
10-18-2009, 10:37 PM
My dad and I were about convinced that we were the only ones who remembered this. Considering MLB's attitude toward having their licensed footage on sites like YouTube, I doubt this is available. I see that MLB.com doesn't have the 79 All-Star Game on its archived clips of "Baseball's Best".

crypto
10-21-2009, 11:55 PM
No one? Man, that sucks. I've done searches everywhere... I can't believe MLB doesn't at least have the highlights from the game. Parker was MVP, for crying out loud. Those throws brought him the MVP.

Listen, as a Pirate fan, I need all the upbeat crap I can get my hands on. This was good stuff. I can still see the throw with the theme of "This week in Baseball" in the background for a few years after the throw.

I need me some Pirate highlights!

grump
10-22-2009, 09:04 AM
The 1979 Pittsburgh Pirates World Series Collector's Edition DVD, according to the listed details, includes Dave Parker's highlights from the 1979 All-Star game as a bonus feature.

Available from amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Pittsburgh-Pirates-1979-World-Collectors/dp/B000CRR3CY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1256219885&sr=1-1)

Here is a review of the DVD. (http://www.dvdinmypants.com/reviews/O-V/worldpirates.php)

I haven't seen it, so I can't comment on what is actually included in the All-Star highlights. But I remember that game and Parker was awesome.

oldschoolbuccofan
03-07-2010, 07:37 PM
I have the original broadcast of the game on 2 dvd's. Really Nice Quality! "The Cobra" was my favorite Bucco of all time. Joe............ You can email me if u want a copy.......... $10 includes s/h

Gukumatz
03-08-2010, 08:06 AM
I have the original broadcast of the game on 2 dvd's. Really Nice Quality! "The Cobra" was my favorite Bucco of all time. Joe............ You can email me if u want a copy.......... $10 includes s/h

Moderator's Note:
Welcome to the board, oldschoolbuccofan!

Please note that sharing (or facilitating sharing) of copyrighted material is a big no-no on the Straight Dope Message Board.

Since this is your first post and we can't expect you to know the ropes just yet, I'm going to leave this at a note and a friendly reminder to please read the Registration Agreement as well as the FAQ on the top of each board.

Cheers!
Gukumatz
Game Room Moderator

oldschoolbuccofan
03-08-2010, 10:20 AM
Thank You for the friendly reminder. :) Joe

UltraVires
03-08-2010, 07:18 PM
Moderator's Note:
Welcome to the board, oldschoolbuccofan!

Please note that sharing (or facilitating sharing) of copyrighted material is a big no-no on the Straight Dope Message Board.

Since this is your first post and we can't expect you to know the ropes just yet, I'm going to leave this at a note and a friendly reminder to please read the Registration Agreement as well as the FAQ on the top of each board.

Cheers!
Gukumatz
Game Room Moderator

But what if I have in my possession, the expressed, written consent of Major League Baseball?

lauracarr5
08-23-2010, 01:56 AM
I found a link to historical footage of Parker's throw in the 1979 all star game at the bottom of this web page
http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/all_star/y2004/video.jsp

The link to go straight to the video is
http://mlb.mlb.com/media/player/mp_tpl_3_1.jsp?w_id=344784&w=/library/open/allstar/qa/79as_parker_carter_350.wmv&pid=false&cid=mlb&fid=350&v=2

Boston Steve
07-14-2012, 08:27 PM
Hi. I attended the game back in 1979. I'm trying to find footage of the whole game. I've been searching on the web for several months, with no luck. Any ideas? Thanks!

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to: sdsubscriptions@chicagoreader.com.

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.