PDA

View Full Version : Cult Movies You Love

melodyharmonius
03-30-2010, 04:00 PM
So, the local actor's theatre holds Cult Movie Mondays on the last Monday of every month.

Admission is free and so is the popcorn. They do collect donations to support their local plays and all that - and I usually kick in a fiver. But still - it's a fun night out.

Now, I'll be the first to admit that the only real Cult Movie classics I thought of at first was Rocky Horror Picture Show. And indeed, they did show that at Halloween last year - with a live cast who acted things out - and little RHPS kits that you could buy so you could do all the actions at the right time.

But this monthly event has also introduced me to some other movies I had never seen before like:

Cleopatra Jones
Army of Darkness: Evil Dead 3
Grey Gardens (the original 1970s documentary)
Death Race 2000 (which I just saw last night)
Psycho Beach Party

In addition, they've shown:

Kentucky Fried Movie
Lost Boys
The Nightmare Before Christmas
To Wong Foo, With Love

I'm really loving discovering these movies. It's been a hoot and a half. So, I was wondering - what other cult classic movies do you love to watch?

FordTaurusSHO94
03-30-2010, 04:04 PM
The Big Lebowski

Shagnasty
03-30-2010, 04:05 PM
I don't know if it is a true cult movie but Heathers is one of my all time favorites and the same for Best in Show.

jayjay
03-30-2010, 04:05 PM
Priscilla, Queen of the Desert

woodstockbirdybird
03-30-2010, 04:07 PM
Schizopolis
Withnail And I

Don't know if these count as cult movies, but if so, I'd add Better Off Dead and Miller's Crossing.

DCnDC
03-30-2010, 04:07 PM
Freddy Got Fingered. Yeah. I'm that guy.

Simmerdown
03-30-2010, 04:10 PM
Don't know if it's really a cult movie, but it should be: Shakes the Clown.

StusBlues
03-30-2010, 04:22 PM
Freaks does it for me.

cjepson
03-30-2010, 04:38 PM
Not sure if these qualify as cult movies or not, but:

Harold and Maude
The Last Dragon

I also enjoy rock-related movies, especially the older ones -- like the Beatles movies, 200 Motels, and (from a few years later on) Rock & Roll High School. Plus concert movies like Monterey Pop, Woodstock, Message to Love, Gimme Shelter, Don't Look Back, etc.

Also a fan of old animation, like Gulliver's Travels, Fantasia, and (not quite so old) Fantastic Planet.

MPB in Salt Lake
03-30-2010, 04:46 PM
Caddyshack
Waiting For Guffman
Stripes
Murder By Death
Best In Show

Superfluous Parentheses
03-30-2010, 04:53 PM
Mad Dog and Glory - too high profile cast (de Niro, Murray and Thurman) to qualify as a cult movie I guess, but as far as I know it wasn't well received and isn't well known, but I love it. Definitely worth seeing. One IMDB reviewer sums it up as "Pretty Woman" meets "Fargo". Which is fair enough in that it's partly "creepy romantic fairy tale", but it's much better than PW.

Also, for some reason I actually liked Tank Girl.

Oh, and DEBS was fun.

Spoons
03-30-2010, 04:59 PM
Two-Lane Blacktop
Phantom of the Paradise

and we can't forget The Rocky Horror Picture Show!

Shoeless
03-30-2010, 05:09 PM
Repo Man

filling_pages
03-30-2010, 05:25 PM
Freeway - my favorite movie of all time. Reece Witherspoon as a semi-illiterate, trailer trash little red riding hood.

Suburbia - the 80s, punk one directed by Penelope Spheeris. The acting is oh, so bad, which makes the movie so, so much better.

Black Mama, White Mama - You got your women in prison movie in my blaxsploitation flick! Well, you got your blaxsploitation flick in my women in prison movie! It's two great tastes that taste great together. Also, boobs.

The Loved One - I am willing to bet that John Waters saw and loved this movie.

And, on that note, any John Waters movie.

sulamith
03-30-2010, 08:58 PM
Harold and Maude (cjepson beat me to it!)
Them
Drop Dead Fred
Kingpin

RikWriter
03-30-2010, 09:26 PM
Caddyshack
Waiting For Guffman
Stripes
Murder By Death
Best In Show

Caddyshack and Stripes are cult movies?

MPB in Salt Lake
03-30-2010, 09:45 PM

In my definition, absolutely they are.........

campp
03-30-2010, 09:55 PM
Phantom of the Paradise

The Loved One

DWMarch
03-30-2010, 10:11 PM
They Live

The Boondock Saints

Serenity

Edward The Head
03-30-2010, 10:13 PM
Freddy Got Fingered. Yeah. I'm that guy.

Don't worry so am I. Well I liked it when I saw it, I've only seen it once though. I did like it and would probably watch it again.

Nobody
03-30-2010, 10:16 PM
Killer Klowns from Outer Space
Big Trouble in Little China
They Live

Martini Enfield
03-30-2010, 10:22 PM
Some of my favourites:

The Big Lebowski
Kung Pow: Enter The Fist
Hercules Returns
Trainspotting
Lock, Stock, & Two Smoking Barrels

Are we including Hong Kong cinema in here? Because if we are, I'll add A Better Tomorrow II, Vengeance, and Kung Fu Hustle to the list as well.

Two Many Cats
03-30-2010, 10:30 PM
Lisztomania with Roger Daltrey is my somewhat obscure favorite. Once seen, it is never forgotten. A demonic Richard Wagner creats a Hitler Frankenstein which Daltrey as Franz Liszt destroys with a pipe organ fighter jet that uses showgirls as ammunition. Oh, and Ringo Starr shows up as the Pope. I love it.

Frank
03-30-2010, 10:35 PM
I suspect I'm one of a very few who enjoys simply watching and listening to Rocky Horror Picture Show. The audience activity in a theatre would ruin my enjoyment of the movie.

While I enjoyed Kentucky Fried Movie, Amazon Women on the Moon was better.

Dunno if these count as cult except in my mind, but they're relatively unknown and enjoyable movies:

The King of Comedy
State and Main
Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid

Askance
03-30-2010, 11:11 PM
Mostly from my rental queue over the last few years:

Destry Rides Again
The Barbarian Invasions
The Lives of Others
Being There
Man From Earth
Harvey
The City of Lost Children
Proof (1991)
Delicatessen
Thank You for Smoking
Old Gringo
Gods and Monsters

Johnny L.A.
03-30-2010, 11:16 PM
A Bucket of Blood
The Forbidden Zone
Spider Baby
Freaks
Eating Raoul
Betty Blue (the theatrical cut)
Tromeo and Juliet

Frank
03-30-2010, 11:25 PM
[b]Eating Raoul
Ooh, good one.

The Tooth
03-30-2010, 11:29 PM
The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the Eighth Dimension!

Dune

Ferocious Female Freedom Fighters

True Stories

Frankenhooker

Johnny L.A.
03-30-2010, 11:32 PM
The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the Eighth Dimension!

How could I have forgotten that one?

(Actually, there are others on my shelves that I should have listed; but I didn't look for them.)

Perciful
03-30-2010, 11:47 PM
Sid and Nancy
Pulp Fiction
Duel
The Big Lebowski
They Live
Boon Dog Saints
Good Fellas
The Shining
Fargo
Idiocracy
Pretty In Pink
The Goonies
Tommy Boy

Face Intentionally Left Blank
03-30-2010, 11:48 PM
Get Crazy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Get_Crazy

Not available on DVD, but I got a good VHS copy on Ebay. I had to buy two copies, as the first one had corrupted sound. Others may not see the greatness and refuse to reissue it, but I've got mine! :D

Johnny L.A.
03-30-2010, 11:50 PM
Boon Dog Saints

Do you mean The Boondock Saints (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0144117/)?

Bryan Ekers
03-30-2010, 11:50 PM
Ever heard of The Blue Iguana and The Blood of Heroes?

Bryan-Bob says check 'em out.

Frank
03-30-2010, 11:56 PM
Ever heard of The Blue Iguana and The Blood of Heroes?
I liked The Blue Iguana too.

Percival, I'm not certain that well-known, commercially successful movies such as Pulp Fiction count as cult movies.

Johnny L.A.
03-30-2010, 11:57 PM
Nevertheless, Pulp Fiction does have a following.

hellpaso
03-31-2010, 12:10 AM
Kalifornia
Freaks
Kaspar Hauser (Werner Herzog version)
Wild at Heart
The Atomic Cafe
The Bridge
Brother's Keeper
Cocaine Cowboys
The Lives of Others
Grey Gardens (original)
The Natural History of the Chicken (I have the DVD--but I saw this was on PBS last week!)
Hands on a Hard Body
The Story of the Weeping Camel
Downfall (Der Untergang)
Nosferatu (original)
Little Dieter Must Fly
Paradise Lost (films 1 & 2)
The Station Agent
Plagues & Pleasures on the Salton Sea

Dammit, I'm weird!! :eek:

Johnny L.A.
03-31-2010, 12:13 AM
Leningrad Cowboys Go America

Frank
03-31-2010, 12:15 AM
So does Gone with the Wind, and In the Heat of the Night. But they're classics, not cult, as is Pulp Fiction. Different thread, maybe? :)

Johnny L.A.
03-31-2010, 12:19 AM
So does Gone with the Wind, and In the Heat of the Night. But they're classics, not cult, as is Pulp Fiction. Different thread, maybe? :)

The structure of Pulp Fiction is significantly different from GWTW. I'm not claiming it is a 'cult film', but I can see how some would consider it one. Quentin Tarantino is a bit of a quirky filmmaker. I don't think that Pulp Fiction or Reservoir Dogs should be excluded just because they were commercially successful.

YMMV.

scabpicker
03-31-2010, 12:23 AM
Seconds on Schizopolis - I have a copy on VHS, everyone I have shown it to is seeing it for the first time. I don't think anyone saw it when it came out, it rules.

Thirds on Eating Raoul and seconds on Rock n Roll High School - heck anything with Paul Bartel and Mary Woronov in it is usually good for a weird hour and a half. He directed Eating Raoul, and Deathrace 2000. I just saw that he died back in 2000. Dang, well, at leas the year was apropos.

And to the ones above, I'll add:

Tetsuo: The Iron Man
Naked Lunch
Man Bites Dog
What's Up, Tiger Lily?

Johnny L.A.
03-31-2010, 12:25 AM
Most films by Jim Jarmusch.

Spoons
03-31-2010, 12:27 AM
I suspect I'm one of a very few who enjoys simply watching and listening to Rocky Horror Picture Show.I can't help it. At home, I stop short of the confetti and the water pistols, but I dance the Time Warp in the living room and hold up a lighter to "There's a Light over at the Frankenstein Place."

hellpaso
03-31-2010, 12:28 AM
Most films by Jim Jarmusch.

Oh yeah!! Forgot Mystery Train--and what's the other one--Coffee & Cigarettes--can't remember!:smack:

Johnny L.A.
03-31-2010, 12:39 AM
Oh yeah!! Forgot Mystery Train--and what's the other one--Coffee & Cigarettes--can't remember!:smack:
And:

Stranger Than Paradise
Down by Law
Mystery Train
Night on Earth
Dead Man
Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai

Permanent Vacation was a little dull, I thought. I have Broken Flowers, but I haven't got round to watching it yet.

gladtobeblazed
03-31-2010, 12:40 AM
Welcome to the Dollhouse
Happiness
Ghost World
Donnie Darko
Office Space
Howard the Duck
Spaceballs
A Clockwork Orange

dzeiger
03-31-2010, 12:56 AM
Jesus Christ: Vampire Hunter

hellpaso
03-31-2010, 12:59 AM
And:

I have Broken Flowers, but I haven't got round to watching it yet.
I Did like Broken Flowers, too!

Yookeroo
03-31-2010, 01:40 AM

Big hits that weren't exactly quirky? No. Funny movies, but not cult.

Heathers
Adventures of Baron von Munchausen
Ereaserhead
Donnie Darko

Alka Seltzer
03-31-2010, 06:45 AM
Off the top of my head...

Shadow of the Vampire
Goodbye Lenin
Burnt by the Sun
Ghost World
Thank you for Smoking

Maserschmidt
03-31-2010, 06:58 AM
The question has been avoided, but let's ask it: what's a cult movie? I would have thought it would be a movie that did little or no box office, got little or no critical attention, but which subsequently exhibit unexpected signs of ongoing and significant life.

even sven
03-31-2010, 07:49 AM
Let's not get cult movies mixed up with mere Indie movies. I think for a movie to become a cult movie, it needs to have built up a significant fandom after it's original box office release. Just being an offbeat movie isn't enough. You need to be an offbeat movie that is appreciated above and beyond it's pure entertainment value, and has a significant number of people who watch it ritually.

Not mentioned (as far as I can see.)

Showgirls
Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?
Holy Mountain
Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb

salinqmind
03-31-2010, 09:42 AM
I have three "Cult Movies" books by Danny Peary, who, as someone once said, must have spent half his adult life in a darkened movie theater. He explains cult movies, lists several in each book and writes thoughtful, in-depth articles about each one. 'King Kong' (original) is particularly interesting. There are many cult movies mentioned and I don't have the books in front of me, I'll come back later and list my favorites.

salinqmind
03-31-2010, 10:20 AM
OK. Here are just a few cult movies listed and discussed:
Blade Runner
Cabinet of Dr. Caligari
Five Million Years to Earth
Liquid Sky
Night of the Hunter
The Quiet Man
The Road Warrior
Seconds
A Star is Born
Thief of Bagdad
Touch of Evil
Basket Case
Morgan!
Nightmare Alley
A Boy and His Dog
Picnic At Hanging Rock
White Heat
The Wicker Man (original)
Man Who Fell To Earth
All About Eve
Beauty and the Beast (original French, 1946)
The Brood
Eraserhead
Forbidden Planet
I Walked With a Zombie
Kiss Me, Deadly
Laura
Peeping TomPretty Poison
The Red Shoes
The Scarlet Empress
Sunset Boulevard
Tarzan and His Mate
Trash
Dance Girl, Dance

YoudNeverGuess
03-31-2010, 10:54 AM
The question has been avoided, but let's ask it: what's a cult movie? I would have thought it would be a movie that did little or no box office, got little or no critical attention, but which subsequently exhibit unexpected signs of ongoing and significant life.

OK - taking the bolded bit as my definition of cult movie and also adding a movie which people watch ritually and/ or know the script backwards and forwards and quote from it regularly then for me the top cult movie has to be This is Spinal Tap

Johnny L.A.
03-31-2010, 11:01 AM
Man Who Fell To Earth

Which reminds me of The Last Days Of Man On Earth (aka: The Final Programme). I saw the two films in a double-feature at a revival theatre. I have both of them. (At least, I know I have The Man Who Fell To Earth. I think I have The Last Days Of Man On Earth.)

arachnologus
04-01-2010, 01:43 AM
In the horror genre how about Vincent Price's 2 greatest performances:
The Abominable Dr. Phibes (1971)
Dr. Phibes Rises Again (1972)
These incredibly subtle black comedies certainly have all the ingredients for cult films, whether they have any actual cult surrounding them or not.

Someone mentioned "Kiss Me Deadly" which I heartily second. Wonder why the companion film "The Long Wait" is so obscure, practically nobody but me has ever heard of it - produced around the same time, also by Mickey Spillane, also based on one of his own stories, this one starring Anthony Quinn.

I would also strongly second Dr. Strangelove!

Cat Whisperer
04-01-2010, 02:02 AM
I'm hesitant to post any, because I don't know if they qualify for "cult" status or not, but some of my favourite non-critical darlings are Bull Durham and Raising Arizona. I recently watched Ghost Rider with Nicolas Cage, and I quite enjoyed it. I re-watched Constantine with Keanu Reeves last week, and I quite enjoyed that, too. I also enjoyed Clerks and Dogma.

I wish we had a cult classic movie theatre. :(

Martini Enfield
04-01-2010, 02:14 AM
I recently watched Ghost Rider with Nicolas Cage, and I quite enjoyed it. I re-watched Constantine with Keanu Reeves last week, and I quite enjoyed that, too.

There's a difference between a "Cult" movie (one with a limited but appreciative following) and a "Crap" movie, and although the two distinctions often overlap, I'm not really sure they do in the two quoted examples.

(Or, to put it another way, everyone has different tastes but personally I think Ghost Rider and Constantine were the bad kind of crap films and definitely not worthy of "Cult" status).

Perciful
04-01-2010, 09:05 AM
Do you mean The Boondock Saints (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0144117/)?

Yes, Sorry I got the name wrong. One of my fav cult movies ever.

Perciful
04-01-2010, 09:11 AM

I liked "Pulp Fiction" because it took me years to understand it. Same way with Shawshank Redemption. It is full of small details that you slowly get the more you watch it. Tarantino is a genius.

Ellen Cherry
04-01-2010, 09:32 AM
salinqmind, have you seen Picnic at Hanging Rock? I have an old book of Roger Ebert's and he gives it five stars, I believe. It always sounded very intriguing.

How about Ed Wood films?

DCnDC
04-01-2010, 09:35 AM
Basket Case

Promethea
04-01-2010, 10:33 AM
Deathlin (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068458/)e (1972). Fantastic little movie starring Donald Pleasence, giving one of the best performances of his career as a police inspector investigating mysterious disappearances of people near Russell Square tube station. The audience knows this is because cannibals who live in the tunnels near an abandoned station are eating them.:eek:

Said to be the movie that inspired Guillermo Del Toro to take up directing. I can sort of see why. If nothing else, there's an amazing eerie yet strangely beautiful tracking shot of the cannibal's grisly lair, scored only by heartbeats and the drip, drip of a leaking pipe that seems kind of reminiscent of his style.

The film was heavily edited down and retitled Raw Meat for the US release. Best watched in the uncut version. If nothing else, the aforementioned shot is apparently not there, having been deemed 'boring'. Huh.

Surly Chick
04-01-2010, 10:42 AM
The Prophecy
The Seventh Sign

Don't know if they qualify as cult - don't they have to have an actual following other than me? :p

shiftless
04-01-2010, 10:45 AM
A lot of great suggestions so far.

Eraserhead

Pootie Tang

Johnny L.A.
04-01-2010, 11:13 AM
The Prophecy

The 1979 eco-horror Prophecy with the stupid mutant bear; or The Prophecy (1995) with Chrisopher Walken?

:D

YogSothoth
04-01-2010, 12:12 PM
Big Trouble in Little China

ivan astikov
04-01-2010, 12:23 PM
Most of the ones I'd pick are already mentioned; here's a few I didn't see.

Death To Smoochy
The Ninth Configuration
Spacehunter: Adventures In The Forbidden Zone

enipla
04-01-2010, 12:32 PM
Huh. I don't consider about half of these to be cult movies. :shrug: Anyway, I'm amazed that Rocky Horror Picture Show has not been mentioned yet. THAT is a cult movie.

Johnny L.A.
04-01-2010, 12:37 PM
Anyway, I'm amazed that Rocky Horror Picture Show has not been mentioned yet.

APRIL FOOLS! :p

Posts 1, 12, 24, and 42.

enipla
04-01-2010, 12:47 PM
APRIL FOOLS! :p

Posts 1, 12, 24, and 42.Damn. I was just reading the lists people made. And not very well it seems.

Boulter's Canary
04-01-2010, 01:18 PM
Not sure if all these count, but:

The Phantom of the Paradise

Knightriders (not that one, the 'King Arthur on motorbikes' one)

The Wicker Man

Restless Natives

Peeping Tom

Ned Kelly (the one with Mick Jagger)

Night of the Demon

melodyharmonius
04-01-2010, 01:20 PM
It has become apparent that I have a lot to watch!

FriarTed
04-01-2010, 01:28 PM
A lot of great suggestions so far.

Eraserhead

Pootie Tang

I love POOTIE!

and E-head!

Of course, A Clockword Orange, most David Lynch stuff, both versions of Nosferatu.

Also, Nothing But Trouble.

Mrs. Cake
04-01-2010, 01:30 PM
Limitinng my answer to the ones I own that I think qualify as cult films:

The Wicker Man (original)
Six-String Samurai (if it does not have cult status, it ought to)
Conan the Barbarian (did not do so well in original release but seems to have a loyal ongoing following)
The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert
Strictly Ballroom
Time Bandits
Monty Python & the Holy Grail

Johnny L.A.
04-01-2010, 02:10 PM
Knightriders (not that one, the 'King Arthur on motorbikes' one)

I've got that one, too. Love it.

Sometimes the theme music pops into my head when I'm riding my motorcycle.

Ellen Cherry
04-01-2010, 02:31 PM
Damn. I was just reading the lists people made. And not very well it seems.

It's the lighting.

Perciful
04-01-2010, 02:37 PM
I forgot one..

Don't Be A Menace To South Central While Drinking Your Juice In The Hood

Tethered Kite
04-01-2010, 02:53 PM
How about "Night of the Living Dead?"

Surly Chick
04-01-2010, 03:45 PM
The 1979 eco-horror Prophecy with the stupid mutant bear; or The Prophecy (1995) with Chrisopher Walken?

:D
The Prophecy. Although I'm all about anything with stupid mutant bears in it.

Boulter's Canary
04-01-2010, 07:13 PM
I've got that one, too. Love it.

Sometimes the theme music pops into my head when I'm riding my motorcycle.

Likewise - are you my clone? :D

Nutty Bunny
04-01-2010, 08:40 PM
Ladies and Gentlemen, The Fabulous Stains (shown on Night Flight on the USA network)
Donnie Darko
This is Spinal Tap
Suburbia
and, of course, RHPS

DCnDC
04-01-2010, 09:16 PM
Rounders
Dead Alive
Evil Dead

Johnny L.A.
04-01-2010, 09:45 PM
Likewise - are you my clone? :D

If I am, I feel sorry for you. :p

I saw Knightriders at its L.A. premiere. George Romero was there. Dude be tall.

The thing is, I'd seen Night of the Living Dead and Dawn of the Dead. You can imagine what I was expecting. I watched the film, and there was no blood! except for the little trickle on the sword in one scene. But! I loved it. It looks a little dated nowadays, but I can still get into my mindset I had back then. I spent many, many hours bouncing across the desert on my Enduro (my primary transportation until I got my hand-me-down MGB), and things like video games you still had to go to an arcade to play.

I like Brother Blue's character (Merlin), and from time to time Signifying Monkey comes to mind. The last song, which says 'I would rather die in the hurricane than to never know the storm' resonates with me. It's how I feel about motorcycles and airplanes and helicopters. (Would that I could afford to fly! I still ride the bike, though.)

Beautiful film. I started a thread about it nine years ago (http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=70032). (Reference to sig is no longer valid. I don't remember what it was.)

salinqmind
04-01-2010, 10:00 PM
salinqmind, have you seen Picnic at Hanging Rock? I have an old book of Roger Ebert's and he gives it five stars, I believe. It always sounded very intriguing.

How about Ed Wood films?

Yes, I saw it, and also The Last Wave, at an art theater around 1980, but that was a long time ago! A couple of films much talked about, but then they just disappeared.

Danny Peary's cult movies books contain analyses of Plan 9 and Glen or Glenda. Surprising insights into what are considered to be bad movies. Everyone's seen Plan 9 From Outer Space. I only once saw Glen or Glenda, late at night on a hosted movie (Elvira?) cable channel.

DCnDC
04-01-2010, 10:02 PM
Anyone ever catch a Russian flick called Nightwatch?

Johnny L.A.
04-01-2010, 10:03 PM
and also The Last Wave

'Are you a fish?'... 'Are you a snake?'... 'Are you a man?'... 'Are you Malukaru?' [apologies for spelling.]

betenoir
04-02-2010, 02:53 AM
Rocky Horror Picture Show

Eraserhead

Un Cheien Andelousa

picunurse
04-02-2010, 03:27 AM
What?! No one called The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai across the Eighth dimention (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086856/)??

Leaving Normal and Thelma and Louise are two others I favor.

Johnny L.A.
04-02-2010, 11:26 AM
Post #28. ;)

'What's this watermelon doing here?'
'I'll tell you later.'

:p

halfliquid
04-02-2010, 12:24 PM
Donnie Darko
Ghost World

I need to see Freaks and The Big Lebowski now.

River Hippie
04-02-2010, 12:30 PM
Not sure if it counts but I am a huge fan of David Lynch's Mulholland Dr.

The Scrivener
04-02-2010, 12:48 PM
The Magic Christian (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0064622/)-- perhaps the only film ever made that brought together Goons, Beatles and Pythons!

Bridget Burke
04-02-2010, 01:04 PM
Every time a similar OP pops up, I'm driven to mention Desperate Remedies. I've got a VHS of the New Zealand film & am in search of a DVD version playable here. This site has a link to the trailer (http://www.filmarchive.org.nz/feature-project/pages/Desp-Rem.php).

Yes, some of those faces were seen in Xena & Hercules. In the movie, you get to see more than just faces....

filling_pages
04-02-2010, 01:24 PM
The Magic Christian (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0064622/)-- perhaps the only film ever made that brought together Goons, Beatles and Pythons!

I love that movie. The scene in the restaurant with the chef never fails to crack me up.

MTCicero
04-02-2010, 10:57 PM
Stuart Saves His Family. Totally misunderstood, unloved comedic gem. I will fight anyone who claims this is not a good movie. (Not really.)

Also Heaven Help Us and Mass Appeal.

MTCicero
04-02-2010, 10:58 PM
The Last Dragon

Sho' 'Nuff!

MTCicero
04-02-2010, 11:03 PM
Also:

The Cook, the Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover

and

The Hot Spot

and

Nightbreed.

becbec
04-02-2010, 11:13 PM
IMHO, the following fit my definition of cult movies:

The Adventures of Ford Fairlane
Tank Girl
The Blues Brothers
The Princess Bride
Drop Dead Fred
Mad Max (aka The Road Warrior)
Rocky Horror Picture Show
Ferris Bueller's Day Off

Little Nemo
04-02-2010, 11:17 PM
Some that I don't think have been mentioned yet:
Bottle Rockets
Carnival of Souls
Forbidden Planet
Get Carter
Jabberwock
The Man Who Fell To Earth
Mr Vampire
Mystery Men
Nasty Habits
Near Dark
Rock'n'Roll High School
Slap Shot
Sleuth
Smile
The Specials
Spirited Away
The Stepfather
12 Monkeys
Walkabout
The Warriors
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory

Johnny L.A.
04-02-2010, 11:19 PM
Tank Girl
Got the poster up in my kitchen, got the comics, and the soundtrack is in regular rotation on my iPod. ;)
Drop Dead Fred
Like it. Pretty sure I don't have it.

gonzomax
04-03-2010, 07:47 PM
Greasers Palace
Streets of Fire
American Werewolf in London
Reservoir Dogs
The Warriors
Repo Man
Robocop

tumbleddown
04-03-2010, 08:40 PM
Better Off Dead
The Sure Thing
Murder In the First
Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid (I need to get this on DVD)
Mommie Dearest

And along with Best In Show & Waiting for Guffman, I've got a lotta love for A Mighty Wind. That whole ensemble rocks my world in everything they do. Even U.S. Census commercials.

Nutty Bunny
04-04-2010, 08:28 PM
Mommie Dearest.

Ooooh, good one. "I am not one of your faaaaans!"

Perciful
04-05-2010, 09:09 AM
OK - taking the bolded bit as my definition of cult movie and also adding a movie which people watch ritually and/ or know the script backwards and forwards and quote from it regularly then for me the top cult movie has to be This is Spinal Tap

A cult movie is any movie that you have to watch over and over. You will memorize lines from it or ponder it like a Picasso. It usually has a following. Rocky Horror was the a big cult movie that I did not understand for years but I knew when to throw the pop corn. It isn't a favorite of mine just a good example of one.

It also has a hidden message or theme that takes a while to understand. For Instance in, 'Shawshank Redemption' Andy decides to play some classic opera over the PA system . I think it was, "Marriage of Figaro? He gets a week in the hole for pulling this stunt. When he gets out of the hole his buddy asks him, Was it worth it? Andy looks at him and says it was the easiest time I ever did. His buddy says, no time in the hole is easy time. Andy then explains how important that one song was to him and that it was worth the penalty to hear it. The message is that no man, prison or society can take away your freedom unless you allow it. Well, that was my take on it.

Eutychus
04-05-2010, 04:09 PM
Two good Richard Farnsworth movies qualify:

The Gray Fox

The Straight Story

Serenata67
04-06-2010, 12:49 PM
Clerks

And Now for Something Completely Different

Heathers

Labyrinth

Surly Chick
04-06-2010, 01:06 PM
I forgot to include A Knight's Tale - does that count as cult? I love me some Paul Bettany and you get to see his heinie!

kidneyfailure
04-06-2010, 07:44 PM
How about The Room? Man, if you haven't seen it you need to.

lost4life
04-07-2010, 11:50 AM
What about the Spielberg masterpiece Duel!

Little Nemo
04-07-2010, 01:47 PM
Or the Ridley Scott masterpiece The Duellists?

Abby_Emma_Sasha
04-07-2010, 02:15 PM
Mommie Dearest.
Ooooh, good one. "I am not one of your faaaaans!"

Me too! And I recite the lines along with the movie.
They really need to have late night showings at theaters. People can dress up as Joan or little Christina in her party dress. Fun.

Superfluous Parentheses
04-07-2010, 03:01 PM
How about The Room? Man, if you haven't seen it you need to.

I just can't get past the "love scenes". I'm still planning on inflicting it on some unsuspecting friends, though :)

MTCicero
04-07-2010, 03:08 PM
Two good Richard Farnsworth movies qualify:

The Gray Fox

The Straight Story

Stellar selections both!

MTCicero
04-07-2010, 03:09 PM
I just can't get past the "love scenes". I'm still planning on inflicting it on some unsuspecting friends, though :)

Okay, this I need to check out.

kidneyfailure
04-07-2010, 07:50 PM

My favorite part is during the party scene when Johnny sees Mark and Lisa together and says something along the lines of: "Don't tawch me, MUDDAHFAWKAH!!!!" Ah, that line had me in stitches. At least Tommy Wiseau has a good sense of humor about his film, encouraging people to accept it as camp. But his attempts to pass it off as a "black comedy" instead of a terribly-made drama are just as funny as the film itself.

Another awful cult movie: Gummo. It took me five sittings before I could get all the way through it.

Superfluous Parentheses
04-08-2010, 07:06 PM
Another awful cult movie: Gummo. It took me five sittings before I could get all the way through it.
I still don't know how I feel about that one. At least The Room was just plain awful.

Okay, this I need to check out.

Check out the "full length trailer": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCj8sPCWfUw

Maserschmidt
04-08-2010, 07:40 PM
I'm still stuck on the definition. If a cult film is simply one that people watch over and over and over after it's out of theaters, and quote endlessly, and watch repeatedly on DVD, then Star Wars is probably the biggest cult film ever, despite the fact that it kicked ass at the box office.

The Real Regency Elf
04-08-2010, 08:20 PM
For me it would be:
Foxes
Man Bites Dog
Strange Brew
Modern Girls (way obscure, starred three of the most beautiful young actresses of the mid-80s and chock full o' LA clubbing insider jokes. The scene where Virginia Madsen's character flips out in the pool hall is worth the rental price all on its own.)

Super Kapowzler
04-08-2010, 08:24 PM

The FIVE DEADLY VENOMS!!! Are you Shittin' Me? Don't bring dumb shit to me, please.

The Thing (Carpenter) "You gotta be fuckin' kiddin' me." No, and I ain't shittin' you neither. "Yeah...Fuck You Too!!", that shit was the truth!

AHunter3
04-08-2010, 10:22 PM
Stardust
The Lost Room (miniseries, does that count?)
Miracle Mile
Cannibal Women in the Avocado Jungle of Death

Spoons
04-08-2010, 10:44 PM
I'm still stuck on the definition. If a cult film is simply one that people watch over and over and over after it's out of theaters, and quote endlessly, and watch repeatedly on DVD, then Star Wars is probably the biggest cult film ever, despite the fact that it kicked ass at the box office.I once heard the definition put something like this: "A cult film is one that you could show in a little, independent theatre at midnight, using an old print, and the place would be packed." That was something I heard in pre-VHS/DVD days, but I think it still works. Under those circumstances, a lot of the films mentioned would qualify.

But still under those circumstances, I don't think Star Wars qualifies. For one, I'd imagine Star Wars fans are pickier--they're more likely to want the high-def, widescreen, pumped-through-a-home-theatre-system experience; or at least the big theatre with a fresh print and Dolby surround sound experience. They won't be happy with scratchy old prints and sound put through a mono system that has seen better days, especially at midnight.

Maybe we're not quite at a definition yet, but I think we may be on our way towards one: A cult movie is one whose fans are willing to see it under any circumstances, in any condition, and with other fellow fans, without reservation.

Martini Enfield
04-09-2010, 03:48 AM
I have to say the SDMB is the only place I've seen people so completely unsure as to what constitutes a "Cult" movie.

Sure, the exact definition is a little hard to narrow down, but it generally requires an element of "Not mainstream", "Low Budget (or simply made) but still quality", "Dedicated and enthusiastic following, largely by people who might be considered 'Nerds' or 'Geeks' or 'University Students'", "Not a blockbuster", and (generally) "Quotable".

Star Wars is not a "Cult" film. Army of Darkness is. Pulp Fiction is not a "Cult" film. This Is Spinal Tap is a "Cult" film. You get the idea.

Electric Sky
04-09-2010, 06:13 AM
Donnie Darko
Heavenly Creatures
The Prophecy
A Knight's Tale (if it counts)

Two iffier ones are Treasure Planet and Bram Stoker's Dracula. They were both a little too big/mainstream to truly qualify as cult films, I think, but AFAIK neither had much popular or critical success, and at least one (Treasure Planet) now has a small but thriving fan community. I'll happily watch both of them over and over. Treasure Planet, I think, deserves a spot alongside other excellent Disney films despite some of its flaws. Bram Stoker's Dracula might well be a bit crap, but to me it's golden crap--maybe just because it's retained that gorgeous/scary/slightly taboo vibe it had when I first saw it as a preteen.

LiveOnAPlane
04-09-2010, 12:26 PM
I don't think "Vanishing Point" has been nominated yet.

Maserschmidt
04-09-2010, 05:24 PM
I have to say the SDMB is the only place I've seen people so completely unsure as to what constitutes a "Cult" movie.

Sure, the exact definition is a little hard to narrow down, but it generally requires an element of "Not mainstream", "Low Budget (or simply made) but still quality", "Dedicated and enthusiastic following, largely by people who might be considered 'Nerds' or 'Geeks' or 'University Students'", "Not a blockbuster", and (generally) "Quotable".

Star Wars is not a "Cult" film. Army of Darkness is. Pulp Fiction is not a "Cult" film. This Is Spinal Tap is a "Cult" film. You get the idea.

This is the definition I was familiar with, which is why I asked and used Star Wars as an extreme example...a fair number of films in the posts above don't match up with that.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.