PDA

View Full Version : Good Poetry from the Bad Translator

even sven
04-01-2010, 07:46 AM
I've been playing with the bad translator (http://www.conveythis.com/translation.php). While it's a fun tool in it's own right, I've noticed that when I put in a serious attempt at writing, what comes out is often more poetic and evocative than what I put in. For example my slightly evocative Facebook status about how much I miss the train in Cameroon gets translated into the much more evocative:

Remember how he wanted to sleep
deep in the forest?
Only obligations also increased
and awaken amid the green
where men in long dresses saw rooms in the form of caps.
I could not sleep for senior officials and calls for honey.

What beautiful things can you get out of it? I think minor modifications for the sake of poetry should be okay.

even sven
04-01-2010, 07:56 AM
Here is another little poem that Bad Translator created out of a story about a nice weekend. I think it's kind of beautiful, and kind of sums up the weekend better than my original statements!

Tell me what is good.
Genitals.
What's new for me?
I want more life.
love.
I am very old, very new, very afraid.
My clothes...
my heart beats faster...
Wear my heart, I want my soul.
This weekend, my God!

Snickers
04-01-2010, 08:17 AM
Genitals certainly are good, aren't they?

Nametag
04-01-2010, 01:27 PM
I grabbed this chunk of academic density from a mass transit discussion:
Suburbanization started more than a century ago, but the major trends that affect us today can be said to start after WWII. Because of the pent up demand from the Depression and the War the country immediately needed some 15,000,000 new houses.
...10 translations later we get:
In the suburbs more than a century, but we can say that today, after the Second World War, the main trend. Taking into account the Great Depression and World War II, the General Assembly that the country needs a new home soon 15,000,000.
Intervening languages: Afrikaans, Albanian, Arabic, Belarusian, Bulgarian, Catalan, Chinese three times (Standard, Simplified, and Traditional), Croation.

That's just funny, though. Running it through all 54 translators it what gets you the poetry (and heapin' helpin' o' WTF?):
Miller, president and currently the most successful of the two world wars, the British army, depression, 1500 2 miljoner and my family.Rearrange that...

Miller, president
and currently the most successful
of the two world wars,
the British army,
depression,
1500 2 miljoner
and
my family.

Storm Girl
04-01-2010, 02:39 PM
OK, so the Bad Translator is also somewhat psychic! I put in the phrase, "I love him so much I can't even think straight!" After running it through the max number of translations, what came back was "I do not believe me!" Odd, no?

Johnny Q
04-01-2010, 06:02 PM
It's amazing how When heaven's in the music hell is in control
The angels got the voices but the devil's got the rock and roll turns intoI believe that music and sound, Ventilation and Mark Steyn.

I can see myself playing with this for a while.

Johnny Q
04-01-2010, 06:14 PM
And this classic line from Alan Moore:"They say that there's a broken light for every heart on Broadway They say that life's a game and then they take the board away They give you masks and costumes and an outline of the story And leave you all to improvise their vicious cabaret" becomes "Broadway, creative thinking and life of clothes, hot club action, history is not Breathing, and light."

Strangely deep, no?

Malleus, Incus, Stapes!
04-01-2010, 08:35 PM
My favorite anonymism, "just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you", becomes "Crazy just because they disagree" 25 steps later, and simply "Crazy, I disagree" after 55.

EDIT: My brother suggested "Tis only a flesh wound", which after 54 rounds became the simple "I do."

Ludovic
04-01-2010, 08:48 PM
My son, my father
He said his son, when he shows the speed
of the Messiah
This means that the draft
can be hell
Touzaburakkuparedo Days of Summer

Ludovic
04-01-2010, 08:50 PM
And a completely different song:

"When the earnings."

Original text:

"there's a lady who's sure all that glitters is gold and she's buying a stairway to heaven"

don't ask
04-01-2010, 09:03 PM
Load up on guns and bring your friends It's fun to lose and to pretend She's over-bored and self-assured Oh no, I know a dirty word Hello, hello, hello, how low?

...25 translations later we get:

"Wood and shot his friend is a big loss, dry, oh, I'm a dirty word. Hello, hello, hello, how do you know?"

and naturally it follows that:

With the lights out, it's less dangerous Here we are now, entertain us I feel stupid and contagious Here we are now, entertain us A mulatto, an albino A mosquito, my libido Yeah, hey, yay

"Light is less dangerous, it's fun, it is contagious, you fool each other and talk to white fly larvae"

Nocturne
04-01-2010, 09:37 PM
"Maybe there's a God above and all I ever learned from love was how to shoot at someone who outdrew you."

"We have learned to love God, to disarmament."

Not sure that's what Mr. Cohen was going for...

KennerTheGreat
04-01-2010, 10:05 PM
The first verse of "High Flight"...

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I’ve climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
of sun-split clouds, — and done a hundred things

becomes, 25 translations later:

"Oh, my calculator in hand, the heavens and the earth's total, laugh, dance, Silver Convention-day classic in the number of new units - and article"

gaffa
04-01-2010, 10:11 PM
This was a game in Philip K. Dick's 1969 novel Galactic Pot-Healer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galactic_Pot-Healer).

Paranoid Randroid
04-01-2010, 10:45 PM
A silly little poem I wrote in high school becomes:

My husband and best friend,
my image or pain, loss of life,
so I did not play there.

It almost sounds as if it could mean something. But what does it do to actual poetry? The first stanza of Poe's Israfel becomes:

The sky, the spirit of participation, his heart lute strings.
There are a lot of angels singing, and charming stories and wild Israfel stars,
and get its own anthem, its presence and voice, all mute.

Hm. Surely not as pretty. What does it do to Dylan Thomas, specifically the first stanza of Do Not Go Gentle into that Good Night?

The race, death, anger, Insomnia fire Deaths

Well, it tried.

panamajack
04-01-2010, 11:31 PM
Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth upon this continent a new nation, conceived in liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal."

...54 translations later we get:

"Attracted 4.7, our goal is to create a new type of bottom and Africa."

Pulling a phrase from my e-mail:
" It's easy to check your dividend balance online - all you need is your REI member number. "

"G. Price updated the status of each constituent teuharyeomyeoneybogi"

Isamu
04-01-2010, 11:35 PM
We are a family.
In the meantime, break and collapse,
so we treat each other?
Each item in a different light.
How'd you lose good for us?
Disappeared.
Dispersion and confusion.
What are we to maintain this achievement

wolfman
04-01-2010, 11:45 PM
A lot of people say stairway to heaven has cluck lyrics, so I wanted to see if it could improve them.
"There’s a lady whose sure all that glitters is gold And she’s buying a stairway to heaven. When she gets there, she knows if the stores are all closed With a word she can get what she came for. Ooh, ooh, and she’s buying a stairway to heaven. "

"All that glitters is gold can be purchased in the sky. If you know all the shops are closed, so maybe not. Oh, you can buy sky."

Captain Amazing
04-01-2010, 11:52 PM
From the beginning of Hamlet's To Be or Not To Be:

Whether or not that is the question: If a high frame Tess insult and wealth arrow or maritime affairs and the opposition denounced weapons. Death is not a dream.

Autolycus
04-01-2010, 11:53 PM
Original text:

I wrote this little prose off the top of my head:

"How many pickles do you want on your sandwich. The best pickle has a satisfying crunch to it, and a slight vinegary aftertaste. It's like sex in a slice. Don't you want a pickle? "

"Bread and salt.
Small issues of peace, and Urgency.
In the same way sex.
Why do little to change this?"

Why do little indeed.

Leiko
04-01-2010, 11:54 PM
I wrote down the food I wanted, just to see how it would turn out: "I would like a quesadilla made with cheddar cheese. Then, drizzle honey over the top. Wouldn't that be delicious?" The result: "Tsheddar cheese. After the rain, children will be better."

Actual "poetry:" I accidentally wrote a country song (http://cowgirlscholar.deviantart.com/art/Can-t-Be-Called-A-Heartbreak-41207325)once. Here is the bad translation version:

Unfortunately, I do not know it was not boring, I must say thanks
Not for my friend and class, we assume that
Sorry, but thanks to the purchase and may be inaccurate. So, uncomfortable at home as the disease
The first time, between different financial markets in order to avoid confusion, we begin.
Sorry, but thanks to the purchase and may be inaccurate. He felt no fatigue and heart disease.
I am Surprised how much more successful.
Every day, internationally. Fasilityes for students, Second Life, perhaps, but I can not stop thinking zhidao.
Sorry, but thanks to the purchase and may be inaccurate. He felt no fatigue and heart disease. No, thank you so of course I was tired, but unfortunately the contract.

Autolycus
04-01-2010, 11:56 PM
"How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood? "

"mamottomamotto mamotoy do."

Maybe that is actually the answer! I gotta say it has a ring to it.

wolfman
04-02-2010, 12:02 AM
And for comparison here is the work of a master songwriter.

How many roads must a man walk down Before you call him a man? Yes, 'n' how many seas must a white dove sail Before she sleeps in the sand? Yes, 'n' how many times must the cannon balls fly Before they're forever banned? The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind, The answer is blowin' in the wind."

"In many ways she seems to say? For example, the first number of pigeons, PA in the White Sea before going to sleep? Identity is often the target, the ball is still banned? Responses to the wind, my friend."

I like "Responses to the wind, my friend". Kind of an up-class "don't waste your breath"

wolfman
04-02-2010, 12:16 AM
Hehe i'm having fun, one more.

Who knew Polonius was predicted the credit collapse.

Neither a borrower nor a lender be, For loan oft loses both itself and friend, And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry."

"Creditors and debtors, including credit-often lose friends, but the debtor has no interest in living in a modern economy."

Drunky Smurf
04-02-2010, 12:29 AM
Original text:

I wrote this little prose off the top of my head:

"How many pickles do you want on your sandwich. The best pickle has a satisfying crunch to it, and a slight vinegary aftertaste. It's like sex in a slice. Don't you want a pickle? "

"Bread and salt.
Small issues of peace, and Urgency.
In the same way sex.
Why do little to change this?"

Why do little indeed.

Pickles man. Enlightenment of the gods.

The above was my original response to Auto but then I decided to run it through the translator and it becomes thus:

After 10 becomes:

"Pickle people. Reduction of God."

After 25 becomes:

"Poor people. End of God."

After max becomes:

"God black."

Holy fuck! The smoke monster from Lost is God. Damn that blows my theory out of the wading pool. I think this site might be the Messiah.

EDIT: Thank you Even for enlightening me to our holy host. I shall spend much time learning from the great Master.

Leiko
04-02-2010, 12:55 AM
I really like this one: two sentences from an article about Lady Gaga becomes:

"Young people in New York. Old school fool most of the Victim and announced a New System."

Saint Cad
04-02-2010, 01:02 AM
How about a real poem?

"Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow, Creeps in this petty pace from day to day, To the last syllable of recorded time; And all our yesterdays have lighted fools The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow."

"Tomorrow, tomorrow, tomorrow, the same day as the previous post is an example of a stupid little dirt road, died yesterday. Apart from a brief candle! Life goes on."

TheChileanBlob
04-02-2010, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by Bad Translator
Original text:

"I beg of Thee O my Savior, by the sword of sorrow which pierced the soul of Thy holy Mother, to have compassion on me in all my affliction and tribulations, both corporal and spiritual, and to assist me in all my trials, and especially at the hour of my death. Amen"

"God is dead, one more try, both bgshmius and Mentally. For bitter taste, but we will help and not hurt growth."

betenoir
04-02-2010, 01:50 AM
Ezra Pound

Johnny Q
04-02-2010, 02:54 AM
Original text:

"Must we take a life for hateful lies To glisten once again Til we find ourselves in the same old mess Singing drunken lullabies"

"Intermedyate species of old shoes and Restaurants."

Talk about lost in translation...

Polycarp
04-02-2010, 07:45 AM
"Big love! But to save sinners. But it does not make sense in the shadow disappeared."

It started as the first verse of Amazing Grace

"Not directly in the war against the United States Coast mountains, do not worry."

It started life as

we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in
the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender,

"Tiffany is a beautiful woman, and sweet, a Mercedes, a distorted image of a great friend of the matter, said the hospital's garden, dance dance dance to forget Karen Wang"

Well, I certainly would! This was also poignant at the 10-translations level:

"Tiffany, sweet summer sweat a distorted view of this is a beautiful woman, Mercedes, which is a nice friend, said, dancing in the garden of the hospital, some dance to remember, dancing Wang Foundation"

And of course this evocative portrait of the man who, comforted by his very good friend Tiffany and her Mercedes, throws himself into dancing at this charitable event either to forget Karen Wang or to benefit her eponymous Wang Foundation, apperars to have been translated by someone who inhaled a bit too much of the warm smell of colitas rising up through the air:

Her mind is Tiffany twisted, she got the Mercedes Benz
She got a lot of pretty, pretty boys that she calls friends
How they dance in the courtyard, sweet summer sweat
Some dance to remember, some dance to forget

Borborygmi
04-02-2010, 08:01 AM
"I am going to the cafeteria for coffee. Does anyone want me to get them anything while I'm there?"

(25 translations)

I was in the cafe.
Some people want it all, but I?

Sigmagirl
04-02-2010, 08:13 AM
"Thank you for your question. I know that the 2010 special prosecutor 1st April. The project will continue. Several characters, especially limitations,"
"Thank you for placing your order with Lands' End. We wanted you to know that your Lands' End order was shipped on 04/01/2010. Backordered items will ship separate"
(25 translation)

Polycarp
04-02-2010, 08:17 AM
Ah, well -- as Ed Zotti would say,

"War of 1973 (I think, and Sunday), I do not know."

which of course started as:

"Fighting ignorance since 1973. (It's taking longer than we thought.)"

Electric Warrior
04-02-2010, 09:24 AM
Hmm, if a Facebook status works, tweets should too...

In the last chapter bluegrass Festival - -
blue sky and leaves and shoots.

Originally: "last day in DC - going to Bluegrass Festival - blue sky and all the trees have leaf buds". (I didn't even go to the Bluegrass Festival in the end though.)

Breadth in the blood of love, God has blessed me

started out as "crows in love on the lamppost, bless 'em"

A rather nice basis for a song lyric:

How often this happens:
I go to my God,
this is strange, this is a good thing,
it seems to be Jesse

was originally: "How many times has this happened: you go "oh my god what is this incredible sound" and it turns out to be the Bee Gees"

KennerTheGreat
04-02-2010, 09:48 AM
A line from President Obama's Dreams From My Father...

"At the time of his death, my father remained a myth to me, both more and less than a man."

becomes, after max translations...

"My father died in least two people."

BlackKnight
04-02-2010, 10:28 AM
More Shakespeare:

Fair Verona, which is open to all those who get their hands dirty in the blood of two new families in search of old conflicts.

"Inkreasing Complexity of New York, clouds cool the house."

The openings of "Romeo and Juliet" and "Richard III" after 25 and 54 translations, respectively.

(Saint Cad, I'm still laughing over "stupid little dirt road".)

Johnny Angel
04-02-2010, 10:55 AM
From the old Lillian Leach and the Mellows song:

Original: "Smoke from your cigarette clouds my eyes. Things that you speak of make me realize that you've found someone else to take my place in your heart, in your heart."
10 rounds: "Since his eyes, the new smoke cigarettes. That said, I know some people say that I am in my mind, I found my heart."
25 rounds: "Eyes of young smokers. I mean, I know some people say to me, I found my heart."
54 rounds: "And children are not allowed. Some people say that my heart is my intention."

Malleus, Incus, Stapes!
04-02-2010, 01:28 PM
Original text:

"I beg of Thee O my Savior, by the sword of sorrow which pierced the soul of Thy holy Mother, to have compassion on me in all my affliction and tribulations, both corporal and spiritual, and to assist me in all my trials, and especially at the hour of my death. Amen"

"God is dead, one more try, both bgshmius and Mentally. For bitter taste, but we will help and not hurt growth."

The Bad Translator reads Nietzsche?

ultrafilter
04-02-2010, 02:30 PM
Death is not a dream.

This is poetic to start with, so I ran with it. Here's the complete sequence of English translations:

Death is not a dream.
Death is not a dream.
Death is not a dream.
Death is not a dream.
Death is not a dream.
Death is not a dream.
Death is no dream.
Death is no dream.
Death is no dream.
Death is not a dream.
Death is no dream.
Death is no dream.
Death is no dream.
Death is not a dream.
Death is not a dream.
Death is not a dream.
Death is not a dream.
Death is not a dream.
Death is no dream.
Death is not a dream.
Death is not a dream.
Death is not a dream.
Death is not a dream.
Death is no dream.
Death is a dream.
Death is a dream.
Death is a dream.
My dream is dead.
My dream is dead.
My dream is dead.
My dream is dead.
My dream is dead.
My dream is dead.
My dream is dead.
My dream is dead.
My dream is dead.
My dream is dead.
My dream is dead.
My dream is dead.
My dream has died.
My dream has died.
My dream died.
My dreams have died.
My dreams have died.
My dream die.
My dream die.
My dream die.
I dream of death.
I dream of death.
I dream of death.
I dream of death.
I dream of death.
I dream of death.

Intergalactic Gladiator
04-02-2010, 02:37 PM
Man, this thing is awesome.

AFC and NFC Championship officials decided to cycle between the symbols.
Restrict the use of any football State University.
Like many other cities to play at this point, radio ads, we will try to Penasco

wolfman
04-02-2010, 02:42 PM
I love this toy Here is a random recent post of mine

"Unfortunately with my Acid reflux getting worse over the years I am going the other way and having cutting back on spices, because waking up with stomach acid in your lungs sucks big time. But hopefully with my weight losing the Acid will become less of a problem and I can go back to Habaneros. "

"Unfortunately, some members of my bad acid reduction. The problem of losses and expectation in Havana."

Apparently In real life I am Earnest Hemingway.

pravnik
04-02-2010, 02:46 PM
From an article on forensic psychology:

Features the killer personality
referred to as silent in the FBI report
were as follows: sense of duty, unremorseful apathetic to others, unconscionable, blameful of others,
manipulative and
guidelines,
affectively cold,
the differences between
the understanding of behavior and behavior
acceptable social, social obligations,
however, betray the social norms, irresponsible.
These killers are not just anti-social people who constantly
DSM-IV criteria for ASPD met, and they were
predators who are psychopaths,
merciless beauty,
the purpose of intimidation and use,
if necessary,
impulsive and violent

Ludovic
04-02-2010, 04:17 PM
My son, my father
He said his son, when he shows the speed
of the Messiah
This means that the draft
can be hell
Touzaburakkuparedo Days of Summer
I forgot to mention which song this was from:

When I was a young boy my father took me into the city
too see a marching band.
He said son when you grow up will you be the Savior of the broken
the beaten and the damned?
Because one day I"ll leave you a phantom, to lead you in the summer.

TheChileanBlob
04-02-2010, 05:53 PM
Some softcore erotica:
Original text:

"His glance inched to her full breasts, swelled high in her strapless black gown. Who could blame him; carnality exuded from the woman, and there was no lack of want there either."

"I think the relationship is still dressed in black. Women's fear and for money."
Original text:

"My heart pounding with love, I submitted, to my needs and to his command, breathing his name just as the little death arrived to make its exalted claim."

"Strengthening the core, Respiratory system named megumi necessary."
Original text:

"With Meg primed to his taste, smoldering and whimpering like a puppy, Simon pounded her ass for the final conquest."

"Crying, dogs, like fine tobacco, Simon has won the last city."

BlackKnight
04-02-2010, 06:12 PM
I wanted to see what happened when I put nonsense into the Bad Translator. But not just any nonsense, of course. I took some stanzas from Lewis Carroll's "Jabberwocky".

Original
`Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.

10 translations

He's a devil, slithy Zhimbl soft and light frost as: Misébiles borogoves and rats outgrabe now.

25 translations

It was hell, freezing slithy Zhimbl a soft and gentle: Misebiles Space and mice have borogoves.

54 translations

It's like hell to keep mimsi mouse borogoves slithi zhimbl soft tennis.

Original
He took his vorpal sword in hand:
Long time the manxome foe he sought --
So rested he by the Tumtum tree,
And stood awhile in thought.

10 translations

This is a Vorpal sword in hand: the enemy manxome long time I tried - I feel Tumtum tree, for a time, to remain in their minds.

25 translations

This time the enemy Manxome Vorpal - Tom wire to try during your stay.

54 translations

Oil of man, the death of the enemy - flavor, but when trying to quit Smoking

Original
And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.

10 translations

I Jabberwock? Come to my arms, even my son more than rice weird! In one day! Singer's joy.

25 translations

I: arm Jabberwock, my son, even more than rice, get funny! Day! Y singer.

54 translations

No, now I love my son, America! Singer

Lamia
04-02-2010, 06:29 PM
Load up on guns and bring your friends It's fun to lose and to pretend She's over-bored and self-assured Oh no, I know a dirty word Hello, hello, hello, how low?

"Wood and shot his friend is a big loss, dry, oh, I'm a dirty word. Hello, hello, hello, how do you know?"What's funny/creepy about this is that the bolded portion looks like a reference to the 1990 death of Mother Love Bone singer Andy Wood by heroin overdoes. If Cobain had actually written this I'd feel certain that was what he was getting at.

In honor of Andy Wood, here's what the translator did to a verse from "Man of Golden Words".

Original:

And on her arrival, I will set free the birds
It's a pretty time of year, when the mountains sing out loud
Tell me, Mr. Golden Words, how's about the world?
Tell me can you tell me at all?

10 translations:

When they arrived,
the bird's voice,
he told the world this year,
Mr. King, the release of the beautiful mountains?
I said, you can tell me why?

Interesting. Seems to be referencing Elvis here.

25 translations:

He said when they arrived,
the sound of birds this year,
and the free world, the good king, rock?
I told you to tell me why?

Along with Elvis there's now a clear reference to Neil Young's classic "Rockin' in the Free World".

54 translations:

The world animal king or rock? Why?

Now it's just a weird fortune cookie.

woodstockbirdybird
04-02-2010, 06:38 PM
First verse of Morrissey's "Interesting Drug":

More and more pockets to save this young woman who died of debt is not a comfortable life? Oh, mother, and Nyamaa Nyamaa Nyamaa Nyamaa Nyamaa not your dream, the system of government, concerned about the drug my father died

Knorf
04-02-2010, 07:08 PM
What we have here is failure to communicate.
What we have here is lack of communication.
We are the lack of communication.
There is a lack of communication.
Lack of communication.
There is no connection.
There is no context.
There is no connection.
It does not matter.
Never mind.
Forget it.
Forget about it.

Ludovic
04-02-2010, 07:17 PM
And to bring this full circle, I type in some intentionally bad poetry a character in a novel I'm working on is writing. The Bad Translator! improved on it, in that while not exactly good poetry, it at least makes an attempt to be good poetry, which elevates it above the mediocre stuff I'm writing:

Baby woman,
tribal conflicts have improved chemical,
Country Gardens is a broken heart,
we can remove the waste, body and soul with God,
as we do,
and design"

Angel of the Lord
04-02-2010, 09:23 PM
"I do not cough for two weeks
I'm not anxious
to see the dead, drowned
girl was coughing.
15 days, I sleep
four hours each night."

Also,

"Seizure of the guitar,
this is a good idea.
Damn.
I am not a musician.
I forgot how to play
my hands rough skin.

I feel old.

I smiled, trying to print
and music,
without any conditions."

From fairly mundane LJ posts.

Intergalactic Gladiator
04-02-2010, 10:00 PM
Repo Man by Iggy Pop:

"I heard that, I am useless specific land waves, the rivers are so beautiful and the anti-Christ who said: "I will mushroom," I want to reduce their fishing microscope, so that when my muscles"

Silver Tyger
04-02-2010, 10:23 PM
10: "My name is Inigo Montoya. Do you want to kill my father. Prepare yourself for death."

25: "My name is Inigo Montoya. You want to kill my father. Ready to die."

54: "Inigomontoia put my name to kill his father. Are you ready to die."

And it goes from "Ninjas can't catch you if you're on fire" to "Ninja can not turn off" in just ten translations.

Kimstu
04-02-2010, 10:48 PM
"A capital ship for an ocean trip
Was the Walloping Window Blind.
No storm that blew dismayed her crew
Nor troubled the captain's mind."

... becomes ...

"Blind extremism around the main spacecraft. The stormy dawn Do not panic, the crew is concerned soulmate."

Kimstu
04-02-2010, 10:56 PM
Golly.

"One time in Alexandria, in wicked Alexandria,
Where nights were wild with revelry and life was but a game,
There lived, so the report is, an
Adventuress and courtesan,
The pride of Alexandria; and Thais was her name."

After 10:

"Once in Alexandria, Alexandria, bad, wild parties at night, and life is just a game, life, and why risk reports and Alexander honor of prostitutes, it is called in Thailand."

After 25:

"When Alexandria, Alexandria, swimming, wildlife and the night is just a game, life, and the risk of Alexander which means that prostitution in Thailand undisclosed price."

Max:

"Alekandria, Alexandria, bars, Boats and Wildlife, Thailand, Business, Corporations, Prostitutes Alexander."

Poetic inspiration ran really dry on that last one...

Ludovic
04-02-2010, 11:21 PM
Another improvement on my intentionally bad poetry. I put together the results of my 10,25, and Max translations one after another I actually think this is a pretty good poem when you put them together!

Hagan's position and the necessary worm.
Take a deep breath,
I hope you can make them bend.
To overcome this world
to another great king
and fall,
and must be consistent with the earthworm.

Hagan conditions needed for worm.
Take a deep breath,
I hope you can go.
You can save the world and the great king
after the death of insects.

But in my heart I want.
When you save the king bug.

Lamia
04-02-2010, 11:43 PM
From the chorus to Pearl Jam's "Even Flow" (selected because the lyrics to this song are famously difficult to make out anyway):

"Even flow, thoughts arrive like butterflies
Oh, he don't know, so he chases them away
Someday yet, he'll begin his life again"

10 translations:
"Even thought the flow,
like a butterfly,
ah, he also knew that one day,
the rule will begin a new life"

(This is recognizably a poor translation of the original.)

25 translations:
"Bar, oh,
you want to know
that the law is still in progress
Butterfly
start a new life"

(Hmm, drop the "Bar" and I rather like this. Has kind of a '60s hippie vibe.)

54 translations:
"A - BR command to start a new life Licensing"

(Suddenly we've got a line from the "English" manual to a 1980s Japanese video game.)

I thought I might get better results if I dropped the "Oh" from the original, but it actually turned out even weirder for the first two. The last one almost seems deep this way, though:

10 translations:
"Ji Shi mobile ideas,
such as butterflies,
it is not known,
so that one day rule,
which will start a new life"

25 translations:
"Shay G. ideas of motion,
as if the rule day butterfly,
not start a new life"

54 translations:
"Shea began a new life in the idea of Torah, called the butterfly image"

Kimstu
04-02-2010, 11:49 PM
Gosh Lamia, change "Shea" to "Shmuel" and you've got an Isaac Bashevis Singer story there in that last line.

njtt
04-03-2010, 12:02 AM
My name is Ozymandias, king of kings, look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"

"Ojimandyasu king of kings. But he said the job Figures!"

Yeah, figures. :rolleyes:

Enuma Elish
04-03-2010, 12:12 AM
Oh, I gotta try this!

"There are places I remember
All my life, though some have changed,
some forever, not for better,
Some have gone and some remain."

10 translations:

"Some will think of all life, but some people can never change, some of the best pair and they are saved."

25 translations:

"Some say that everything in life, but nothing more than some people change for the perfect, no."

Max translations:

"But others say that life is completely changed."

tsukaesugi
04-03-2010, 12:16 AM
"He's a devil, slithy Zhimbl soft and light frost as: Misébiles borogoves and rats outgrabe now."

Enuma Elish
04-03-2010, 12:27 AM
Why don't we do it in the road?
No one will be watching us.

10 Translations:

"On the street, why not? Why is this? But let us look at what we do, why not take to the streets?"

25 Translations:

"On the way, why not? Why? But what looks on the street?"

Max translations:

"Yes, why? But for or not?"

njtt
04-03-2010, 02:33 AM
Original text:

"The strangest of birds is the pelican;
his bill can hold more than his belly can.
He can hold in his beak enough fish for a week.
I wish that I knew how the hell he can."

"Sweet week slightly stronger evidence prostitute."

Surrealism!

njtt
04-03-2010, 02:50 AM
Or if you start with surrealism.....

This was as much of I am the Walrus as the box would accept:

"I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together
See how they run like pigs from a gun see how they fly
I'm crying
Sitting on a cornflake
Waiting for the van to come
Corporation T-shirt, stupid bloody Tuesday"

...10 translations later we get:

"I love you, I know that together we will see it as a weapon to run the pigs, I would have tears, sitting in front of corn flakes, on Tuesday, the company will continue in the blood of dumb shirts"

(Quite poetic, eh?)

After 54.....

"Wheat was the first blood in my eyes, no g - shirt Tuesday the company."

pravnik
04-03-2010, 09:24 AM
Trying to slove the great conspiracy theory mysteries of our time:

"Who shot J.F.K?"

after 10 translations:

"Kennedy was assassinated?"

Okay, you're no help.

kjckjc
04-03-2010, 12:16 PM
"American family and the best combination of Surveillance, as well as prosperity buhoyzaotsheng xyanfa Vietnam in the future and security of the United States to increase public safety."

Yep, pretty much sums up the Preamble of the Constitution pretty well.

kjckjc
04-03-2010, 12:23 PM
Hee hee! Beginning of Obama's inaugral speech after 25:

"My fellow citizens,I stand here today humbled by the task before us, grateful for the trust you have bestowed, mindful of the sacrifices borne by our ancestors. I thank President Bush for his service to our nation."

BECOMES:

"Mr. President, today I find information about lawful activities of the victims, you know, my parents. I appreciate Bush's military service."

kjckjc
04-03-2010, 12:35 PM
Original text:

"Democrats stand ready to address the challenges facing Social Security's solvency, ... but this cannot begin until Republicans begin talking about ways to make Social Security stronger, not weaker."

"Social Democrats, helping the poor ... Talk about ways of working, but treatment to improve safety in the Republican party."

Electric Warrior
04-03-2010, 01:31 PM
Angel of the Lord, your results are really something special!

Now I've moved on from the brilliance of my Twitter posts and toward some stuff written by other people.

Translation: Best dog for a short period of data is correct. But first, they lose faith in the dark.

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness."
-Charles Dickens, A Tale of Two Cities
Translation: Travel hangar and industrial development in Developing countries, children in the current page.

"It is high time that Communists should openly, in the face of the whole world, publish their views, their aims, their tendencies, and meet this nursery tale of the Spectre of Communism with a Manifesto of the party itself."
-Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels, Manifesto of the Communist Party
Translation: Tired of the traffic in Rome with his wife and children, the poor, as pale yellow

"[T]he only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones that never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow roman candles..."
-Jack Kerouac, On the Road

don't ask
04-04-2010, 11:27 AM
Apparently In real life I am Earnest Hemingway.

Better stay away from shotguns then Ernie.

or, should I say, as after 25 translations

I left a wife and mother

Polycarp
04-10-2010, 04:34 PM
Courtesy of the Bad Translator:

It is interesting to compare the coming days, we believe that the last sunny day; Line width and bright stars, manage, courage, strong walls? Champagne missiles and bombs at night appears in the sky when I heard the explosion of a red state. Ah, says: "Stars and Stripes wave, but in March a free safety?"

This was after 25 passes. The original?
The first verse of the Star Spangled Banner: "Oh say. can you see...." etc.

Johnny Q
04-10-2010, 04:58 PM
You can see the maestro in the winter without Interference."

"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger."

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.