PDA

View Full Version : iPod Touch and Google sync

Mama Zappa
06-11-2010, 08:51 AM
Got my new toy today... and I want it to sync with Google to get contacts and calendar entries.

I've set up the account linkage per these instructions (http://www.google.com/support/mobile/bin/answer.py?answer=138740&topic=14252).

I've got it set to "push", and also to fetch every 15 minutes (to handle apps that don't work with push).

But the contacts / calendar entries haven't downloaded yet.

Any suggestions on what else to try?

Oh - and it did sync the email from that account so I *know* it's connected correctly.

Mama Zappa
06-11-2010, 09:03 AM
Never mind... I read the instructions more carefully and I'd followed the wrong path when setting things up. :smack:.

06-11-2010, 04:54 PM
Hey, how do ya like that Google sync? Does it work well?

Do contacts and calendar entries you add on the phone go back to Google too?

I currently have an Android phone, but I'm getting sick of its little bugs and issues. Might consider a Touch later.

Mama Zappa
06-11-2010, 08:56 PM
It's "just" an iPod Touch vs. an iPhone - but yes, I'm now seeing that changes on the phone get sync'ed back up to the google account. It can take a few minutes though. And for some reason, at first none of the contacts (that I had entered online) showed up on the touch's list. I could *search* for them, but they wouldn't show up in the list.

Then I edited something - and all of a sudden they all showed up. :confused: but :).

What'll be interesting is whether that works with stuff I enter when I'm not linked to a wi-fi: will it re-sync when I get connected again...

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.