PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one disturbed by this Microsoft ad?

Quimby
10-21-2010, 08:50 PM
See the ad here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nV_EeI6AeEk).

Basically this woman generated a photo of something that never existed because to her presenting the image of a perfect family is more important than living in reality. It just seems wrong to me and a little creepy.

running coach
10-21-2010, 08:56 PM
The way the family is dressed is creepier. Sorta like this. (http://awkwardfamilyphotos.com/2010/10/19/floral/)

More awkwardness here (http://awkwardfamilyphotos.com/).

squeegee
10-21-2010, 09:20 PM

Basically this woman generated a photo of something that never existed because to her presenting the image of a perfect family is more important than living in reality. It just seems wrong to me and a little creepy.

Doesn't seem in the least creepy to me, especially if she's making a Christmas card or some other pic that's meant to be a show piece. I've got quite a few pictures of family lined up and there's always one of them with an unfortunate expression in one shot, and a great one in another.

I make a Christmas card every year for my family, which usually involves humor + obvious CG. One year it was a Brady Bunch card, arranged like this (http://evan-roth.com/photos/data//4publication/brady-bunch-2-0.jpg) -- I lined up each member of the family in turn against a well-lit, plain wall, and took several photos of them staring at the camera, then looking down, up, left, right, down-right, down-left, up-left, up-right. You get the idea. Then I made a 3x3 grid and filled it with my photos of the family either looking at the camera or at each other in the grid, and replaced the wall behind each head with a solid holiday color. Then I gave it a humorous caption + Merry Christmas from My Family. Is that creepy?

Ferret Herder
10-21-2010, 09:34 PM
The matching clothing is creepy, the photo editing to get all of them smiling/not blinking/not falling asleep is funny because it's pretty much needed here.

Sampiro
10-21-2010, 09:37 PM
Nah. I routinely adjust the lighting and the contrast on photos and I've done things similar to what she did before. If three of the people in the shot look good but one looks deranged I think it's better to fix it as it does a service to all four. It's a minor fib but not like Photoshopping your son into the quarterback of his team or yourself standing between Mick Jagger and Keith Richards then passing it off as real.
A friend of mine who got married last year paid a fortune for a very good photographer. The photographer did this in a couple of shots; in one a bridesmaid's face is blocked by another bridesmaid's arm so she doctored it with other photos; in another the groom looked like he was sneezing (may have been) in a picture with his ancient grandmothers so by changing the face (still the groom, just another shot) it gives the grandmas something they can display without explanation or embarassment.

blondebear
10-21-2010, 09:46 PM
I happen to like spontaneous/goofy family portraits. If it were me, I'd use the tool to switch heads between different bodies.

Gary T
10-21-2010, 10:09 PM
The thing about that ad that irritates the hell out of me is that they zip through the different problem photos too fast to let us see what is being described.

hajario
10-21-2010, 10:40 PM
At the exact moment that I read the thread title, the ad came on my TV. Spooky.

Kozmik
10-21-2010, 10:52 PM
I happen to like spontaneous/goofy family portraits. If it were me, I'd use the tool to switch heads between different bodies.A random head generator!

kittenblue
10-21-2010, 11:22 PM
I thought the way she said it was the creepy bit. I was listening to TV while making dinner and didn't actually see the commercial, just heard it...and she didn't sound very loving!

Zebra
10-22-2010, 12:30 AM
I think it is a joke. She says it is a photo that no one can make fun of her but people will laugh at the matching shirts.

Skammer
10-22-2010, 07:48 AM
I only have two kids in our Christmas photo and two years ago I had to combine two different shots to get them both to look good at the same time. And I did it without Microsoft's new "cloud" service or whatever that commercial is peddling.

ministryman
10-22-2010, 07:52 AM

You obviously live in a world where your coworkers don't have impromptu PhotoShop contests.....

corkboard
10-22-2010, 07:55 AM
Not disturbing, happens all the time. My family hired a professional photographer once to take a nice family portrait- you try getting 19 people, including kids as young as 2, to all be looking at the camera and smiling perfectly at the same time. There was plenty of Photoshopping in the finished product.

The shirts, now they're another story.

Musicat
10-22-2010, 08:00 AM
I'm wondering if I use the cloud, will I become a Photoshop expert in 5 seconds so my retouching is instant can't be detected? Wow!

Don Draper
10-22-2010, 10:48 AM
[QUOTE=runner pat;13052885]The way the family is dressed is creepier. Sorta like this. (http://awkwardfamilyphotos.com/2010/10/19/floral/)QUOTE]

I think it's sweet that a drag queen father would want to share his passions for over-the-top campy fashions with his daughters.

What?

Gestalt
10-22-2010, 11:03 AM
I thought the only creepy part was at the end when she mentions that Windows gave her the family that nature never could

Brown Eyed Girl
10-22-2010, 11:25 AM
Im in ur foto grup ridikuling ur shirts!

Munch
10-22-2010, 11:53 AM
Spresenting the image of a perfect family is more important than living in reality.

Everyone smiling at the same time is "a perfect family"? "Living in reality" is wearing identical shirts while sitting 5 astride on a couch together?

I'm not sure those things mean what you think they mean.

kittenblue
10-22-2010, 05:12 PM
Yes, but having them wear matching shirts makes the Photoshopping easier to do, right?

Of course, to be really creepy she could have just substituted the head of the good child onto ALL the bodies......

MonkeyMensch
10-22-2010, 05:22 PM
I've never found photo retouching to be creepy or disturbing. I use Photoshop a fair amount to remove distracting bits from shots. To replace a portion of a shot with the image from another is just a more useful tool for retouching.

Frank
10-22-2010, 05:25 PM
Yes, but having them wear matching shirts makes the Photoshopping easier to do, right?
My siblings and I were frequently in family photos in matching clothes. My mother used to buy boatloads of material, and make shirts and dresses for all eight of us. (Shirts for the boys, dresses for the girls. Just so you know.) She claims it was not to embarass us all to death when we went out in public (there's a reason that shit was on sale, y'know, Mom?), but so that it was easier for her to round up the kids that were hers.

Quimby
10-22-2010, 07:03 PM
I've never found photo retouching to be creepy or disturbing. I use Photoshop a fair amount to remove distracting bits from shots. To replace a portion of a shot with the image from another is just a more useful tool for retouching.

None of that is wrong and everyone does that. It is the undercurrent of someone that desperately needs to show the world how great her family is (let's note this is just a picture she is uploading to Facebook and not a Christmas card or something) coupled with the concept that photos no longer necessary reflect something real that gives me a slight case of the hebbie gebbies.

kittenblue
10-22-2010, 09:56 PM
Or maybe the Heeby Jeebies!

Bryan Ekers
10-22-2010, 10:30 PM
Pfft, that ain't creepy.

Using Photoshop on old family photos to remove the daughter who married a black guy... that's creepy.

As an incidental note, I once removed my sister from a photo taken at her own wedding in order to make a solo pose of one of my mother's cousins who had since died as a gift for her daughter.

moejoe
10-22-2010, 11:24 PM
My favorite family photos are the ones that didn't "work". The one where the baby is screaming and the other two are fighting and I have my eyes half closed? Priceless.

Quimby
10-23-2010, 12:08 AM
Or maybe the Heeby Jeebies!

Gah, I knew I murdered it.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to: sdsubscriptions@chicagoreader.com.

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.