PDA

View Full Version : Are there any celebrities you feel like you "know?"

Koxinga
10-23-2010, 11:08 AM
Is there anyone you see on TV that you feel like you understand in terms of personality or whatever, as well as you do (say) a casual acquaintence in the office? I used to think that about David Letterman, but the whole sex harassment thing took me by surprise. Aside from him, though, I don't think I've ever had the feeling that I've ever seen much beyond the celebrity's deliberately crafted public image.

On the other hand, I've never really watched reality TV, so I may be missing out on something there.

MovieMogul
10-23-2010, 11:15 AM
Well, I can list 5 individuals on IMDB that I "know" (in the biblical sense). Does that count?

Mahaloth
10-23-2010, 11:20 AM
I guess I feel like I know Letterman's personality pretty well. I've been watching for over 20 years and I can picture more or less what he is really like(awkwardly socially and so forth).

Joss Whedon has put a lot of his spirit into his works, so I feel like I get him pretty well too. I understand his sense of humor and the kind of people he likes(based on casting). I think I could hang out with him pretty easily.

Finally, I think I JK Rowling put a lot of her sense of fun and personality into the Potter books. I guess I don't know her, but I understand quite a bit about her.

Justin_Bailey
10-23-2010, 01:44 PM
I think Topher Grace is probably in real life a lot like he is in interviews. He just seems like a kind of nerdy guy who's totally OK with that and just does regular stuff.

This is opposed to the very carefully cultivated "pack of cool dudes" image that the rest of the cast of That 70s Show built while the show was on. Topher Grace always went out of his way to point out that he was friendly with the rest of the cast, but he wasn't friends with them. He made himself out to be a different kind of person.

Lobsang
10-23-2010, 01:52 PM
David Mitchell.
Simon Pegg.
Jack Dee.
Martin Freeman.

To name just a few. All people who have at least some part of their personality that I identify with, and therefore makes me feel like they could quite easily happen to be a close friend.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.