PDA

View Full Version : The Rocky Horror Glee Show (open spoilers)

alphaboi867
10-26-2010, 06:12 PM
Despite all the stuff I've heard about tonight's episode (changing Rocky's costume, making the the lyrics more "family friendly", etc) I'm still looking forward to it. Let's hope it doesn't disappoint.

waterj2
10-26-2010, 06:38 PM
I meant to actually get around to watching RHCP before this episode (actually, I've been meaning to get around to watching it since the '90s) but never did. I know some of the songs and read the screenplay many years ago, but I'm sure there's all sorts of things I'll be missing. I've seen pictures of Chord Overstreet in the Frank N. Furter outfit, and that ought to redeem any number of missteps they might make.

twickster
10-26-2010, 07:11 PM
Good lord, that's Barry Bostwick! Fabulous!

TheChileanBlob
10-26-2010, 07:21 PM
I've never seen Glee before, but I'm watching it just for this!

twickster
10-26-2010, 07:28 PM
Oh that's right, John Stamos has done the Emcee in Cabaret.

gwendee
10-26-2010, 07:56 PM
Good lord, that's Barry Bostwick! Fabulous!

And Meat Loaf, too. No? So far I've liked all the numbers.

Queen Tonya
10-26-2010, 08:08 PM
That was fun.

I found it incredibly difficult to not say obscene things at the screen in front of my kid, though. :o

gwendee
10-26-2010, 08:11 PM
Missed my chance to edit, but I didn't mean liking the numbers to indicate that I like what's going on with Will's character this season. I don't really care if Will and Emma end up together, especially if he's going to behave against type every second week.

I was amazed at all the responses that I still remembered. I watched at work so I didn't have to worry about my kid hearing.

N9IWP
10-26-2010, 08:12 PM
The local station went off the air right after "Toucha-toucha touch me" (it is still not on at 8:08 central). I'm guessing it has something to do with the windstorm in the area

Brian

alphaboi867
10-26-2010, 08:25 PM
Meh, I thought the plot and the musical numbers were both kinda week. Will's getting creepier & creepier. :eek: He was planning on doing a love scene with Rachel, in speedos, in front of the students (& parents) to get closer to Emma. I liked Sue in this episode; though it didn't really make any sense for her to bowdlerize the script given that she wanted it to provoke community outrage. :smack: Loved her reaction when Will cancled the play.

And what's up with having to wait another fortnight untill the next new episode? :confused: Why aren't they airing a new episode next week?

Kurt's potential love interest is supposed to be in the rival Glee club at the all-boys school in the preview.

elelle
10-26-2010, 08:25 PM
Yikes, I had high hopes, but have to say Meh. Loved the cameos by Barry Bostwick and Meatloaf as censors, nice touch. I have to wonder how much of this episode was touched by censors... it seemed really mish-mash, like half of what they wanted it to be. Nice try, though, and hope it gets a new generation of kids into Rocky Horror. It was a freeing vehicle to me as a teen, all those decades ago.

Annie
10-26-2010, 09:17 PM
Shirtless Will! Shirtless Will!!!!!!!!!!!

Ahem.

waterj2
10-26-2010, 09:32 PM
Meh, I thought the plot and the musical numbers were both kinda week. Will's getting creepier & creepier. :eek: He was planning on doing a love scene with Rachel, in speedos, in front of the students (& parents) to get closer to Emma.People were saying that Kurt was getting a free pass on the creepy stalker-esque behavior because he's gay. Apparently it's actually because that sort of thing is normal in Lima, Ohio.

RandMcnally
10-26-2010, 09:38 PM
People were saying that Kurt was getting a free pass on the creepy stalker-esque behavior because he's gay. Apparently it's actually because that sort of thing is normal in Lima, Ohio.

Actually, Kurt got called out on it a couple of weeks ago, now I'm hoping someone calms Will down (I'm saying that in regards to the comments in this thread. I haven't seen the episode yet and so far I'm not looking that forward to it. I hate Weird Will).

Annie
10-26-2010, 10:04 PM
Will's always had the weird pilot light on; he was the guy who enlisted Finn by planting weed in his gym locker and blackmailing him to join Glee.

SmartAleq
10-26-2010, 10:34 PM
Kurt--best Riff Raff EVAR. And Mercedes as Frank? Faaaaaaabulous. :D I loved it, shoot me, I'm a sucker.

Chicken Fingers
10-26-2010, 10:53 PM
This is the first time I'd seen Glee, but figured I'd watch it, as an old Rocky Horror fan. Are the singing voices always so grotesquely computerized on Glee? More natural voices would give it a certain charm.

RandMcnally
10-26-2010, 11:06 PM
Hopefully they put Weird Will pining over Emma to rest. He's my favorite singer but my least favorite character.

Overall, this season is very meh for me. I like the music but the plot is boring me.

WhyNot
10-26-2010, 11:25 PM
I HATED Mercedes as Dr. Frank. The girl's got pipes, sure, but Dr. Frank is not the queen of soul, thankyerverymuch. Blech.

The sanitization of the lyrics bugged me, mostly because it felt like giant speedbumps in my brain. I mean, I get why they felt they had to, but....meh.

The sound levels were all kinds of f'ed up all episode, at least on my television. The lead vocals were way too loud and not mixed with the backing vocals or instruments. What was up with that?

I do like that the whole theme of the ep was that Will was wrong to choose this show. Before the first scene, I was just saying to my (completely disinterested but good sports) family that this show would just never get put on by a high school, nor should it, so I'd have to suspend my disbelief like an executioner...and then I didn't. That was nice.

I also liked that Kurt was "nuh-uh" about playing Frank. It would have been so easy and predictable to place him there, but it worked nicely with his beginnings of growth and conversation with his father last week (was that last week?) about how being honest about who he is isn't the same thing as being provoking. And he made a far better Riff-Raff than he would have a Frank, based on his vocal range alone.

Who was the taller Columbia? Was that Brittney?

gonzoron
10-27-2010, 12:33 AM
Well, take the sub-par story inherent in a Glee theme episode, and add a theme I don't care much for, and you get a very strong "meh" from me. Will was "in character" for season 2, which is to say, completely out of character from season 1. Sue is randomly sharing stories about her "secret" sister with strangers... Finn suddenly develops body image problems, despite being on the football and basketball teams. Emma goes from catching RHPS on a whim to being Will's go-to expert on the show in a week. Glee Club becomes Drama Club for some reason... Do high school kids today even know about RHPS? And we get Finn and Sam in their underwear as promised for those that are into that, but what of the promised scenes of Rachel in similar attire? I guess one has to go to GQ for that. :/

A few funny lines as usual, vocal performances ranging from decent to good (of songs that I personally can't stand, aside from Time Warp), but none too exciting other than Emma's number.

All in all, I'm glad it's over.

Leiko
10-27-2010, 03:37 AM
I loved a lot of the lines ("A peanut allergy," all of the first How Sue "C"s It, "Give me some chocolate or I will cut you," and "People who dress like librarians? All sex addicts"), the costuming, and some of the musical numbers, but the plot is just ridiculously dumb and it's getting kinda trainwreck-y in a lot of ways.

I suppose it's a lot like the original Rocky Horror, really.

Sigmagirl
10-27-2010, 07:34 AM
And what's up with having to wait another fortnight untill the next new episode? :confused: Why aren't they airing a new episode next week?
Election night?

EristicKallistic
10-27-2010, 08:27 AM
More natural voices would give it a certain charm.

But no MUSCLE.

Sorry.

Minnie Luna
10-27-2010, 08:45 AM
I enjoyed it. I also don't watch Glee for the plot, but for the music, so all the plot holes and people acting out of character don't really bother me at all.

Plus, John Stamos.

RandMcnally
10-27-2010, 09:16 AM
I enjoyed it. I also don't watch Glee for the plot, but for the music, so all the plot holes and people acting out of character don't really bother me at all.

Plus, John Stamos.

That man really has aged well, hasn't he? I hope I age like that.

sachertorte
10-27-2010, 09:39 AM
I didn't like it.
I didn't like the songs. I didn't like the plot.

I did like the shirtlessness.

Sister Vigilante
10-27-2010, 10:29 AM
Loved it. I would have liked them to do their own versions of the songs instead of mimicking the originals exactly, down to the pauses (--PATION!). So I was glad to see Frank and Magenta doing their own take on their particular songs.

Finn was a perfect Brad. Kurt was a perfect Riff. Stamos was a great Eddie. I liked how they transformed the Toucha-Toucha-Touch Me song with Brittany and Santana acting as the Magenta and Columbia. It matched up perfectly with the bi angle they are apparently going for this season.

FriarTed
10-27-2010, 10:44 AM
...So I was glad to see Frank and Magenta doing their own take on their particular songs.

Finn was a perfect Brad. Kurt was a perfect Riff. Stamos was a great Eddie. I liked how they transformed the Toucha-Toucha-Touch Me song with Brittany and Santana acting as the Magenta and Columbia. It matched up perfectly with the bi angle they are apparently going for this season.

This! And Emma as Janet... smokin'!

The Mercedes/FrankNFurter costume was really inventive. Becky as Sue's Mini-Me is getting wonderfully creepy. Botswick & MeatLoaf gave me an Olbermann & Limbaugh vibe- and I loved when Botswick was about to explain the toast to Sue but then thought better of it.

Yes, WhyNot- Taller Columbia was Brittany.

And it makes perfect sense that Emma, with her OCD, would go from RHPS virgin to RHPS expert. Without being OCD, I have a tendency to find out all I can about something when I get interested in it.

SmartAleq
10-27-2010, 11:57 AM
I really do NOT get all the quibbling over plot holes and character flexibility--IT'S A MUSICAL. That's the whole POINT, the reason why people who hate musicals hate musicals, because everything about them is in service to getting the song & dance numbers into the mix. Murphy is uncannily aware of musical tropes and plays them like an OCD Suzuki kid with a Stradivarius--this shit is intentional, yo!

That being said, how much was I wishing Puck would show up just in time to don the Frank outfit? *swoon*

Misnomer
10-27-2010, 11:57 AM
Will's getting creepier & creepier. :eek: He was planning on doing a love scene with Rachel, in speedos, in front of the students (& parents) to get closer to Emma.I agree. I suspend quite a bit of disbelief every time I watch (and love) this show, but I have trouble with the more suggestive numbers/outfits -- especially if Will is involved. I can accept the ever-present accompanist, the fabulous costumes, the insta-choreography, etc., but for some reason those characters are always still high school kids to me.

And what's up with having to wait another fortnight untill the next new episode? :confused: Why aren't they airing a new episode next week?My guess is that a World Series game might need to be played/broadcast next Tuesday.

Sampiro
10-27-2010, 12:02 PM
I agreed with Sue's line: "When pushing boundaries is the only aim, the result is usually bad art." Not necessarily about RHPS, but in general (cough Charlie Kaufman).

Another "liked the music, liked the shirtlessness, and the rest was meh". The show doesn't even try to be remotely believable any more- there's no way in hell any school would advance Will the money for sets and to buy the rights for Rocky Horror (which even for a public high school wouldn't be cheap) and the costumes and the like and then cancel at the last minute so no admission could be charged/money recouped, but as mentioned to me the believability shark was jumped when Artie joined the football team.

tr0psn4j
10-27-2010, 12:18 PM
I HATED Mercedes as Dr. Frank. The girl's got pipes, sure, but Dr. Frank is not the queen of soul, thankyerverymuch. Blech.

EXACTLY! What was that crap? Santana was sort of R&Bing her song too but Mercedes really butchered it.

Sampiro
10-27-2010, 12:46 PM
I'm beginning to wonder if Chord Overstreet had to strip down to a jock strap and give lap dances during his audition. The guy's cute and has a nice body (though a tanning bed wouldn't hurt) but do they have to show him undressed in every episode?

And another vote for "odd they never mentioned Finn's body issues before". I wonder if there's a relevant TV trope for when they suddenly mention something about a character that's never been brought up before- examples I can think of from other shows was an episode of The Jeffersons in which you learn George reads several mystery novels per week (does anybody really see George as a reader?) or of Alice where they mention that Vera, who's never been seen with a cigarette before, is a heavy smoker.

WhyNot
10-27-2010, 12:52 PM
the guy's cute and has a nice body (though a tanning bed wouldn't hurt) but do they have to show him undressed in every episode?

YES! a

:D

♫Well here's to me, Mrs. Robinson... ♪♫

alphaboi867
10-27-2010, 01:30 PM
I really do NOT get all the quibbling over plot holes and character flexibility--IT'S A MUSICAL. That's the whole POINT, the reason why people who hate musicals hate musicals, because everything about them is in service to getting the song & dance numbers into the mix...

A strong plot can make up for weak musical numbers and good musical numbers can make up for a weak plot; a strong plot and good musical numbers = something fantastic, weak plot + weak musical numbers = crap. Glee has not one, but 3 showrunners; Ryan Murphy, Brad Falchuk, & Ian Brennan who alternate episodes. This is why Glee tends to go through massive shifts in tone between episodes.

I'm beginning to wonder if Chord Overstreet had to strip down to a jock strap and give lap dances during his audition. The guy's cute and has a nice body (though a tanning bed wouldn't hurt) but do they have to show him undressed in every episode?...

Thank's for the image; I'll be in my bunk. :D They need to show Chord off even more, no matter how irrelavent it seems to the plot. Eventually progressing to full-on Austin Powers style conveniently placed objects scenes.

Minnie Luna
10-27-2010, 01:42 PM

I was never a big Stamos fan until I saw him on Broadway as the emcee in Cabaret. When I saw it was going to be him I thought, great Uncle Jesse is going to ruin this for me, but the complete opposite happened.

He has aged well, he's 47 and every bit as great looking as he was at 20 when he was on GH.

Sampiro
10-27-2010, 02:22 PM
Thank's for the image; I'll be in my bunk. :D They need to show Chord off even more, no matter how irrelavent it seems to the plot. Eventually progressing to full-on Austin Powers style conveniently placed objects scenes.

Then lose the objects on pay-per-view.;)

I was never a big Stamos fan until I saw him on Broadway as the emcee in Cabaret. When I saw it was going to be him I thought, great Uncle Jesse is going to ruin this for me, but the complete opposite happened.

He has aged well, he's 47 and every bit as great looking as he was at 20 when he was on GH.

This is spoken as a 40 something gay male- I rarely check out the butts of 40 something guys. Stamos- I'm totally checkin' it out.

Stamos as Emcee performing Wilkommen (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6PlTBTq1qQ)

Now I think Kurt/Chris would kick ass as the Emcee.

Tom Tildrum
10-27-2010, 02:29 PM

But is Alanis Morissette still ticked off at him? :p

ZipperJJ
10-27-2010, 02:56 PM
But is Alanis Morissette still ticked off at him? :p

Psssst...that was Joey, not Uncle Jesse.

Calabasita
10-27-2010, 05:07 PM
I am fairly lenient when it comes to judging Glee episodes, but this episode was pretty much a big pile of suck for me.

I am pretty sure the character of Will, who was once believable as the sort of tragic/earnest nice guy with a goal to inspire kids in the shadow of his own kind of uninspired life, is completely unredeemable. Using the kids to further his relationship with Emma was suppossed to be the lesson he learned in the equally awful Britney episode. Not to mention that casting himself as Rocky wold put him in a sexually suggestive scene with Rachel and took the role away from Sam. I just don't see him as the sweet guy I was rooting for at the end of Regionals.

Sam, who was this wonderfully awkward guy who spoke Navi, felt like he was trying to fill in Puck's role, only it wasn't believable, and instead of finding it endearingly douchey like I would with Puck, I found it lame and out of character. Small gripe, I know, but Sam felt mostly out of left field for most of the episode.

I can usually forgive a certain amount of inconsistency or unbelievability when it comes to Glee when in the same episode they give me great plot moments (when Will found out Teri was lying) or fantastic musical numbers (Don't Rain On My Parade), but like all the other themed episodes, it felt like all gimick and no substance. Not to mention the fact that a school musical requires a school tryout- not the glee club randomly assigning themselves roles- for whatever reason that was just ridiculous to me.

I much prefer episodes done by Brad or Ian. Ryan murphy episodes are always a less-than-hot mess. I question his ability to deliver a cohesive plot with developed and consistent characters- the trainwreck that was Nip/Tuck being a great example. He can do some fantastic crazy moments (Sue's corner and Becky) but often fails at the larger picture. While Ian and Brad can stumble or slip into the wacky, they give me more of the Glee that I tune in to see.

Boo. I feel like a grump, but I just keep crossing my fingers for the show that felt like the first 13 episodes - Duets, two weeks ago, was really close. I'll still watch for the musical numbers regardless though, I just can't help myself.

Favorite line:

"Get me some chocolate or I will cut you." Becky

Sampiro
10-27-2010, 05:48 PM
Mark Salling's still listed in the opening credits. Any idea when he's returning?

tr0psn4j
10-27-2010, 05:51 PM
How would one dress like a peanut allergy?

River Hippie
10-27-2010, 06:13 PM
I'm losing interest in the show overall, didn't care for last night's episode. Would have rather seen RHPS done by the Glee cast with minimal Glee plot.

Watched the episode immediately after listening to the NPR On Point (http://www.onpointradio.org/2010/10/selling-youth-sexuality)show about (the actresses playing) Rachel and Quinn appearing in a racy men's magazine (GQ) layout.

Good call on Kurt not playing the Tim Curry role. Too obvious.

Mercedes playing that role was not a good call.

Will and Emma's scene was good.

Britney should cut her hair like the wig she was wearing for her RHPS character. Looked good.

Liked that ab guy was all bummed about feeling too fat. Guys can have distorted body image issues too.

Sampiro
10-27-2010, 06:13 PM
How would one dress like a peanut allergy?

I pictured Wolowitz from Big Bang Theory (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCDm_kI9p_g).

[QUOTE=River Hippie]Watched the episode immediately after listening to the NPR On Point (http://www.onpointradio.org/2010/10/selling-youth-sexuality)show about (the actresses playing) Rachel and Quinn appearing in a racy men's magazine (GQ) layout.

I saw that magazine and was irritated by the fact Finn was in the same spread and just wore regular clothes- no skinshots or sexy poses even.

TBG
10-27-2010, 06:25 PM

I was going to say "Have to show election coverage all channels all night tuesday, you know. :rolleyes:" but it turns out coverage doesn't start until 9pm, and 8pm is a rerun of Funk from season 1. Guess they're just spacing things out so they don't run out too soon before they break around Christmas.

I liked how they transformed the Toucha-Toucha-Touch Me song with Brittany and Santana acting as the Magenta and Columbia. It matched up perfectly with the bi angle they are apparently going for this season.

It's not just this season. They clearly established the duo as bi lovers last year, first with a line by Brittany saying something like "If sex is dating that would mean Santana and I were dating", they're just getting more blatant about it this year.

Mark Salling's still listed in the opening credits. Any idea when he's returning?

I'm not up on all the actors' names, but assuming that's Puck, minor spoiler he was in the previews for the next episode. And the mohawk is back!

jrepka
10-27-2010, 07:07 PM
I knew from the previews that this was not what they were planning, but I was still pulling for something on the order of dropping the whole "here-are-the-problems-of these-kids-at-their-school-and-look-how-much-everyone-tries-to-destroy-their-self-esteem" for this episode and just present a (shortened) version of the actual musical (a la Family Guy's Star Wars parodies).

Is Rocky Horror too risque for a high school production? No -- high school kids are advanced beyond any of the material in this 35-year-old show. But administrators and parents, who were the ones dancing and throwing rice in the 70s, would freak! This reminds me of my high school friends from that era, who panic at the thought of their kids smoking pot (it's not the same as the pot we used to smoke, you know)...

I pretty amazed, for instance, that you've got a show like this, with out gay characters and closeted gay characters and out actors and show runners and is mostly about how great it is to sing SHOW TUNES, fergoshsakes, and they decided that you had to replace "transexual" with "sensational" in one of the best known songs from the musical...

FriarTed
10-27-2010, 10:12 PM
If you gals & gay guys get to have exposed Chord every week, I say the rest of us get a weekly dose of writhing Jayma.

Writhing Jayma.... Mmmmm!

waterj2
10-27-2010, 11:24 PM
And another vote for "odd they never mentioned Finn's body issues before". I wonder if there's a relevant TV trope for when they suddenly mention something about a character that's never been brought up before- examples I can think of from other shows was an episode of The Jeffersons in which you learn George reads several mystery novels per week (does anybody really see George as a reader?) or of Alice where they mention that Vera, who's never been seen with a cigarette before, is a heavy smoker.Well, it's not like they've had a lot of episodes showing Finn being comfortable prancing around in his underwear in front of everyone (I would have noticed that). And given that Rachel didn't seem to know about it, I'd say it was just a particular example of the sorts of anxieties that all teenagers have. Sam, on the other hand, seems like a candidate for an episode dealing with male anorexia later on in the season.

Yookeroo
10-27-2010, 11:26 PM
And it makes perfect sense that Emma, with her OCD, would go from RHPS virgin to RHPS expert. Without being OCD, I have a tendency to find out all I can about something when I get interested in it.

Was she an expert or was this Will just flattering her to get her involved?

Another "liked the music, liked the shirtlessness, and the rest was meh". The show doesn't even try to be remotely believable any more- there's no way in hell any school would advance Will the money for sets and to buy the rights for Rocky Horror (which even for a public high school wouldn't be cheap) and the costumes and the like and then cancel at the last minute so no admission could be charged/money recouped, but as mentioned to me the believability shark was jumped when Artie joined the football team.

The show was never remotely believable. Didn't last season have Kurt on the football team doing Beyoncé? Artie as a football player is as believable.

tr0psn4j
10-27-2010, 11:43 PM
Was she an expert or was this Will just flattering her to get her involved?

Both I think.

Sampiro
10-27-2010, 11:46 PM
Sam, on the other hand, seems like a candidate for an episode dealing with male anorexia later on in the season.

Exercise bulimia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exercise_bulimia)

alphaboi867
10-27-2010, 11:52 PM
...The show was never remotely believable. Didn't last season have Kurt on the football team doing Beyoncé? Artie as a football player is as believable.

Football players will do all sorts of bizarre & nonsensical stuff if they (& the coach) think it'll help them win.

obfusciatrist
10-28-2010, 12:17 AM
I was going to say "Have to show election coverage all channels all night tuesday, you know. :rolleyes:" but it turns out coverage doesn't start until 9pm, and 8pm is a rerun of Funk from season 1. Guess they're just spacing things out so they don't run out too soon before they break around Christmas.

Is that true on the West Coast? I'd expect our coverage is going to start once the Eastern polls start closing and continue through the evening.

Horatio Hellpop
10-28-2010, 12:42 AM
I HATED Mercedes as Dr. Frank. The girl's got pipes, sure, but Dr. Frank is not the queen of soul, thankyerverymuch.

The Hell he wasn't! Tim Curry's audition song for the original RHS (stage) production was "Tutti Frutti", you know.

I loved Mercedes' take on the character and songs. The best parts of this ep. weren't where they duplicated the film flawlessly, but where they deviated from it, like "Sweet Transvestite."

I wish they'd staged the show. Now they need to show some kind of consequence for producing the props, costumes, etc. without an actual show resulting. This is a school where the principal keeps threatening to pull the plug on Show Chorus over some forty dollar shortfall, after all.

Sam Stone
10-28-2010, 02:34 AM
I thought the episode sucked, for all the reasons already mentioned, but the high point for me was Kurt playing Riff-Raff. That was just crazy good. He stole every scene he was in. The actor who plays him has a lot of talent.

Oh, and Finn's singing sucked, even with the massive auto-tune.

jackdavinci
10-28-2010, 08:38 AM
Fox is in kind of dispute with Cablevision (not only is the channel blocked, but the website too!), so I had to find the episode in a dark alleyway of the internet. A lot of people were complaining about autotune in this episode, but this is the first episode where I didn't notice it all.

Loved the "casting". Finn IS Brad, and Santana and Brittany ARE Magenta & Columbia. Mercedes was an inspired choice for Frank. Artie was obvious for the professor, as was Sam for Rocky. Kurt was unrecognizable as Riff. Dentist guy made a great Meatloaf (although I think Mike was Eddie for the last scene).

It was dumb to have two Magentas and Columbias though. S&B nailed those parts, and the other girls should have just been unconventional conventionalists.

Mike wouldn't have made sense as Frank, but it was annoying to not get to see him sing yet. I don't count the duet episode, since he was singing in a stylized talky way for that song.

Loved Will & Emma's duet (except perhaps for the final hovering of the students over Emma). Loved the songs.

I'm glad we got to see both Finn and Sam in their skivvies before they covered up. It was kind of silly that Finn's exposure drove so many students to madness though.

The censorship was kind of dumb. Not that it happened, after all it made sense for the plot, but the way it was done. I mean "bed fretting" is really more Disney than "bed wetting"? "Heavy petting" is too risque? And "transvestite" is fine, but not "transexual"? Very random.

alphaboi867
10-28-2010, 04:39 PM
...I mean "bed fretting" is really more Disney than "bed wetting"? "Heavy petting" is too risque? And "transvestite" is fine, but not "transexual"? Very random.

Um, the original lyric is "seat wetting" ;) much dirtier in that context than bedwetting. And I agree that the way they handled censorship made zero sense. Sue goes along with staging RHS so she can capitalize on a moral panic and win a local Emmy; then bowldlerizes the lyrics to make it more family friendly? :dubious:

And Sweet Transvestite was butchered; how is Mercedes-as-Frank still a transvestite when they threw in that line about her being a girl?

Horatio Hellpop
10-28-2010, 06:04 PM
Emma is getting "better" with the dentist guy, but he doesn't seem like the sensitive healing type. Dentists have access to various anesthetic drugs. Could he be drugging her...?

Sampiro
10-28-2010, 06:05 PM
Emma is getting "better" with the dentist guy, but he doesn't seem like the sensitive healing type. Dentists have access to various anesthetic drugs. Could he be drugging her...?

Either way, I like her better. And it's probably less drugs than "I'm ****ing [a dentist who looks like] John Stamos!" doing the magic (assuming she's not still a virgin).

I miss the titles of the self-help pamphlets- they need to bring those back.

Was this the first time Emma has sung?

Fox is in kind of dispute with Cablevision (not only is the channel blocked, but the website too!), so I had to find the episode in a dark alleyway of the internet.

Hulu has it, decent quality. It's storefront as opposed to alleyway.

gonzoron
10-28-2010, 06:22 PM
Was this the first time Emma has sung? Nope. "I could have danced all night" and "like a virgin".

Sampiro
10-28-2010, 07:59 PM
Evidently Dot Jones (Coach BalbrickerBeiste) has a pleasant singing voice as Murphy says she sings in an upcoming episode and people will be pleasantly surprised. Susan Boyle is rumored to be slotted for a guest shot as a lunchroom lady (probably inspired by Chris "Kurt" Colfer's claim that the lunchroom ladies were his closest friends at school).

Of course Chord Overstreet was said to be Kurt's love interest so they do drag red herrings over the tracks from time to time. It's now official that Sam is not gay or otherwise going to couple with Kurt.

Yookeroo
10-28-2010, 08:04 PM
Football players will do all sorts of bizarre & nonsensical stuff if they (& the coach) think it'll help them win.

It's pretty ridiculous to think the team could be convinced that the Beyoncé stuff will help them win. The show has been pretty unbelievable from the beginning.

Sampiro
10-28-2010, 08:10 PM
I thought of starting a poll thread and certainly somebody else is welcome to do so, but if you could choose the next stage-movie musical they salute what would it be?

I'm not a huge fan of RENT but I do like some of the music (I just hate the characters, plot, and half the numbers), but I do think Seasons of Love is an ultimate Show Choir Number and Mark would do a great One Song/Glory.

A return to the classics might be nice: Sound of Music or Man of La Mancha (with Mercedes as Aldonza), or CABARET even.

Thoughts.

Tangent
10-28-2010, 09:05 PM
I could easily see them doing Chicago. Didn't Kurt sing Mr. Cellophane at his audition in the pilot?

gonzoron
10-28-2010, 10:52 PM
I would say Les Mis, but probably only because it's the best musical of all time (tm). But they've already done On My Own and I Dreamed a Dream, so it's not likely.

What about Tommy? ... or I'd love to see a Disney themed show, though unless Glee moves to ABC, it would be pretty unlikely.

Annie
10-28-2010, 11:30 PM
Tommy doesn't have a lot of female roles. Also, pedo uncle :eek:

Sampiro
10-29-2010, 12:08 AM

They could change the lyrics. "Fiddle About" becomes "figure it out": "Time for the bed-bed, put on your nightshirt!"

jackdavinci
10-29-2010, 12:47 AM
Um, the original lyric is "seat wetting" ;)

Ahhh.. And what did they replace "heavy petting" with?

And Sweet Transvestite was butchered; how is Mercedes-as-Frank still a transvestite when they threw in that line about her being a girl?

Unlike Tim Curry, she's a transvestite who is reasonably "passable".

Hulu has it, decent quality. It's storefront as opposed to alleyway.

I think Fox blocked anyone using cablevision internet from using any of the 'legit' methods of watching their shows (except iTunes).

gonzoron
10-29-2010, 07:19 AM
Good point.... I like the songs, though... :)

Serenata67
10-30-2010, 10:29 PM

Yum. Sometimes I forget what pipes he has. Then I think back... even Uncle Jesse sang... he *was* a rocker!

I didn't mind Mercedes as Frankenfurter. I'm a little sick of Kurt because he seems to be the writers' pet. I'm sick of getting beat over the head with the whole "I'm troubled, I'm gay, I can be a jerk if I want" thing. And they're going to have this big upcoming storyline about him finding a boyfriend. I needed an episode away from Kurt-a-palooza. Mercedes has great pipes and I like it when she gets a moment to shine. Yeah, I think it would have been interesting to see a guy play that role (I think Puck coming out of Juvie would have made an interesting Frankenfurter... or him as Rocky... or him fighting with Blondie for that role... anyway.)

Sampiro
10-31-2010, 12:20 AM
I'm a little sick of Kurt because he seems to be the writers' pet. I'm sick of getting beat over the head with the whole "I'm troubled, I'm gay, I can be a jerk if I want" thing. And they're going to have this big upcoming storyline about him finding a boyfriend. I needed an episode away from Kurt-a-palooza.

It gets better.

alphaboi867
10-31-2010, 11:02 AM
...Unlike Tim Curry, she's a transvestite who is reasonably "passable"...

Yet they changed "I'm not much of a man" to "I'm not much of a girl".

pancakes3
10-31-2010, 02:43 PM
The show was never remotely believable. Didn't last season have Kurt on the football team doing Beyoncé? Artie as a football player is as believable.

the football team doing beyonce i can reason out to be a "dance sequence" and we shouldn't take it as a real world occurrence. artie as a tailback is completely ridiculous though. a school doing RHPS as their school musical? pretty unlikely as well.

as for the "computerization of the voices" is it really that rampant? i barely even hear things that could be construed as autotune. they do lip sync but that's not autotune. lip synching is crucial, unless you want to equip all the actors with mics. plus then the quality will be rough - breathing etc. the kids get in the studio anyway since they sell these songs on itunes, so why not give the audience a clean-sounding version anyway?

PunditLisa
10-31-2010, 05:12 PM
I really enjoyed "Glee" the first half of the first season. After that, it's gone downhill.

I loathe RHPS for the same reasons I'm beginning to loathe "Glee." Disjointed plot, creepy, unlikeable characters, and no purpose. When I walked out of the theatre for the first time back in 1983, my reaction was more WTF than "Wow." That's how I'm beginning to feel about "Glee."

Zsofia
10-31-2010, 11:12 PM
Just got around to watching it - missed opportunity, IMHO. If they'd gone with "Glee Does Rocky Horror", it would have been great - I loved the actual "Rocky Horror" parts, they took me back to nerd camp at Duke in the 90's. The rest, though - dumb and boring and just errrrgh. I really liked Mercedes - I thought it was character-based and interesting instead of a note for note interpretation. And I got up and did the Time Warp and realized I hadn't heard of anybody going to an RPHS event in ten years, and it made me sad.

TBG
11-01-2010, 06:53 PM
Coach Bieste should've played the Tim Curry part, not Mercedes!

Sampiro
11-01-2010, 07:24 PM
Coach Bieste should've played the Tim Curry part, not Mercedes!

[Brother Boy from Sordid Lives]"I don't know any man in drag that'd go around lookin' that bad...[/Brother Boy from Sordid Lives]

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.