PDA

View Full Version : Who do you hate more: Jar-Jar or Neelix?

An Gadaí
11-09-2010, 12:08 AM
I pretty much hate them equally.

Johnny L.A.
11-09-2010, 12:11 AM
Jar-Jar. Neelix was goofy, but he wasn't an idiot.

GuanoLad
11-09-2010, 12:15 AM
I didn't dislike Neelix. I hated Tom "smug bastard" Paris.

So I vote Jar Jar.

foolsguinea
11-09-2010, 12:29 AM
I don't hate either of them.

Revenant Threshold
11-09-2010, 12:31 AM
Neelix, because like much of Voyager, he was something with an excellent, interesting premise that was utterly ruined by the writers. Jar Jar, eh, he was annoying, but so far as I can tell he was pretty much meant to be as he was from the beginning.

BigT
11-09-2010, 01:11 AM
WHile I agree that Neelix didn't turn into who he was supposed to be, I never really found him annoying.

Of course, if I were Tuvok, I definitely would have--even as a non-Vulcan.

Tim R. Mortiss
11-09-2010, 01:26 AM
I voted Jar-Jar.

I kept hoping Neelix would get together with Odo and stage an impromptu "Benson" reunion.

Jim's Son
11-09-2010, 06:19 AM
Wesley Crusher

RealityChuck
11-09-2010, 08:40 AM
Neelix is too bland a character to hate. Jar-Jar -- while I think the reaction to him is just over-the-top hyperbole -- just doesn't work.

carnivorousplant
11-09-2010, 08:46 AM
Wesley Crusher

Though call, but I must agree with Jim's Son.

Alka Seltzer
11-09-2010, 08:54 AM
Imagine if they had a child....

running coach
11-09-2010, 08:59 AM
Who else but Neelix could cook Jar Jar and make him tasty?

Scuba_Ben
11-09-2010, 09:00 AM
Who else but Neelix could cook Jar Jar and make him tasty?

You've got a point. But roast Gungan still isn't kosher.

Jar-jar was intended to be comic relief. Neelix outlived his usefulness to the plot early on, so he should have been dumped to conserve resources.

Ruby
11-09-2010, 09:08 AM
Jar-Jar by an overwhelming majority. Comic relief? I've never seen a more annoying character in a film, ever.

Jack Batty
11-09-2010, 09:10 AM
I voted for Jar-Jar Binks for two reasons. 1) the name alone irritates me and B) who the hell is Neelix?

carnivorousplant
11-09-2010, 09:15 AM
who the hell is Neelix?

You are better off not knowing. :)

ministryman
11-09-2010, 12:56 PM
Keep Neelix, because he has Kes hanging out with him.

Dr. Rieux
11-09-2010, 01:54 PM
You need a fourth option for those of us who liked them both.

C-3PO, on the other hand, I could do without.

shiftless
11-09-2010, 03:08 PM
Neelix was a moderately bad character on an OK TV show. Jar-Jar (and his kinsmen) was the jumping of the whole Star Wars shark.

BigT
11-09-2010, 11:04 PM
Keep Neelix, because he has Kes hanging out with him.

Only until she got mindraped, was made to break up with him, and then decided she'd rather stay that way.

Cat Whisperer
11-09-2010, 11:32 PM
I voted Jar-Jar.

I kept hoping Neelix would get together with Odo and stage an impromptu "Benson" reunion.
AH! That's where I recognized him from! I loved "Benson."

I had to vote equal for both of them; I'm not sure why Neelix bothered me so much, but I would have cheered out loud if they had put him out an airlock at some point.

jackdavinci
11-10-2010, 02:02 AM
No contest Jar-Jar. Neelix could be annoying, but he was written to be annoying. And he wasn't a third as annoying as other characters reactions would seem to indicate. Plus, he was kind of sweet and occasionally useful, as well as a nice counterpart to the Starfleet archetype.

Jar-Jar was just a silly borderline racist over-the-top cartoon inserted into the plot for the sole reason of developing CGI tech.

OpalCat
11-10-2010, 03:02 AM
I liked Neelix. :(

magnusblitz
11-10-2010, 03:21 AM
Neelix was a moderately bad character on an OK TV show. Jar-Jar (and his kinsmen) was the jumping of the whole Star Wars shark.

Pretty much how I feel. I can easily forget about Neelix, but Jar Jar is forever burnt into my mind as the representation of the Star Wars prequels where it All Went Wrong. Even though they would have sucked even if Jar Jar was entirely cut out, he's still the face for it.

ramel
11-10-2010, 09:07 AM
What do people have against Neelix? It's been a long time since I watched Voyager, but I don't remember Neelix ever bothering me =\

Laudenum
11-10-2010, 09:11 AM
Remember Neelix looking for his cylinder?

Could have killed him - or the writer who decided to make him that annoying and trite.

Cat Whisperer
11-10-2010, 09:14 AM
Remember Neelix looking for his cylinder?

Could have killed him - or the writer who decided to make him that annoying and trite.
And chipper - don't forget how goddamned chipper he was.

FordTaurusSHO94
11-10-2010, 09:42 AM
I just thought Neelix looked gross. That's enough reason for me. I picked both.

palindromemordnilap
11-10-2010, 09:50 AM
Had to look up Neelix. I wasn't a big Voyager fan.

I didn't just hate Jar Jar; I really intensely disliked all of the Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones. I could more or less deal with the problems with Jar Jar's character, but I couldn't get past the awful plot ad dialogue in those two movies. I would have hated him a lot more in a better movie.

choie
11-10-2010, 10:01 AM
Like OpalCat I liked Neelix... well, maybe "like" is too strong, but I certainly didn't have a problem with him. Hell I preferred him to stick-in-the-mud Chakotay and sadist Janeway. (I still mourn Tuvix.) Sure he was cheerful, and technically outlived his prime usefulness once they left his corner of space, but by then he was family and had cemented himself as cook. I'm assuming physical cooking isn't something most 24th century replicator-reliant people weren't very good at, which is why Riker and Pop Sisko were so unusual.

Also I associated Neelix with Kes, who was my favorite regular on the show. Which is naturally why she was booted off.*

Jar-Jar, on the other hand, is intolerable for any length of time. So this was an easy choice.

* My favorite non-regular? Suder. Yeah, I really know how to pick 'em.

TBG
11-10-2010, 08:29 PM
No vote. I detest neither.

I like Jar Jar, and usually have no problem tolerating Neelix.

carnivorousplant
11-10-2010, 08:36 PM
No vote. I detest neither.

I like Jar Jar, and usually have no problem tolerating Neelix.

Let's beat him up and steal his lunch money!

:)

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.