PDA

View Full Version : How do you make Quesadillas?

aceplace57
11-10-2010, 10:54 AM
I love Quesadillas. We have a place called Taco Bueno that makes good one. But $5 is a bit pricey.

Can you make good ones at home? How do you do it?

Do you have to buy a machine like this?
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Salton-Santa-Fe-Quesadilla-Maker/5639871

With my Foreman Grill, toaster, coffee pot, waffle iron. My desire for another countertop gadget is non-existent. But, I do love Quesadillas. ;) I hope a machine isn't necessary.

Any receipes for beef Quesadillas?

Bosstone
11-10-2010, 11:02 AM
Tortilla.

Shredded cheese.

Any other fillings.

Fold tortilla (or lay a second one on top).

Microwave for maybe 1 minute.

Done. :D

Alpha Twit
11-10-2010, 11:05 AM
Not another counter to gadget but something far more versatile. I have two of these (https://secure.lodgemfg.com/storefront/product1_new.asp?menu=logic&idProduct=4090) smallish, cast iron griddles. Put both of them on the burners of my gas stove and get them rocket hot. Slide an assembled quesadilla onto one griddle, invert the other and put it onto the first. They nest together quite nicely, squeezing and crisping for a very nice quesadilla.

This method also works well for grilled cheese sandwiches and you can reverse the griddles to use the 'grill' side to make paninis.

As far as quesadilla recipes, whatever you have is good. I start with a layer of refried beans and a thin layer of shredded cheese. From there, the sky is the limit.

Mean Mr. Mustard
11-10-2010, 11:05 AM
Buttered tortilla.

Shredded cheese.

Any other fillings. Or not.

Lay a second buttered tortilla on top.

Grill on griddle.

Flip.

Done.

(basically a grilled cheese made with torlillas instead of bread)

mmm

silenus
11-10-2010, 11:06 AM
Pretty much what Bosstone does. My usual has at least 4 cheeses, red pepper flakes, and maybe a swirl of Sriracha inside.

Ellen Cherry
11-10-2010, 11:09 AM
Good lord, no. Spread your filling on a tortilla, top with another tortilla, place in an oiled pan, flip when the cheese melts. Serve with guacamole and other toppings.

Here is my recipe for quesadillas my family loves. They call them "yummies."

Ingredients:
Refried black beans
Double ground beef or turkey*
Cheese
Yogurt or sour cream

Spread tortilla with bean and meat; top with shredded cheddar or Monterey jack cheese.

Heat olive oil in skillet. Place tortilla in it, brown and flip. Cut into serving sizes with a pizza cutter. Top with sour cream and guacamole.

* I take ground meat and throw it in the food processor, add a little liquid and blend. Makes for very smooth meat

Smeghead
11-10-2010, 11:12 AM
Take a tortilla. Butter it. Put it in a pan, butter side down. Make sure the pan is hot, and on a burner. That's turned on. Put cheese (I like Monterey Jack) and whatever other toppings you want on top of the tortilla. Take another tortilla. Butter it. Put it on top, butter side up. When the bottom tortilla is brown and crispy, flip the whole shebang. When the other tortilla is brown and crispy, remove, cut, eat, and enjoy.

There can't be more than a handful of things that are easier to cook.

Chefguy
11-10-2010, 11:15 AM
You can put any filling in them that you want. I usually put a small amount of olive oil in a very large skillet and heat it. Place one large tort in the pan, then add fillings, then second tort, then flip.

This recipe was in Sunset Magazine recently. Just be careful with the grill temperature or they'll get too crispy. Good eats.

Shrimp & Garden Quesadillas with Avocado Salad
¾ pound peeled deveined shrimp
3 garlic cloves, chopped
½ tsp each sea salt, ground cumin and paprika
¼ tsp each pepper and cayenne
1 TBSP each orange juice and olive oil

1-1/2 cups each shredded cheddar and jack cheeses
4 large four tortillas
¾ lb. zucchini, shredded
¾ cup fresh corn kernels
2 green onions, thinly sliced

Salad
2 ripe avocados, sliced
2 large heirloom tomatoes, cut into wedges
¼ cup thinly sliced yellow onion
2 TBSP chopped cilantro
1 TBSP olive oil
3 TBSP lime juice
½ tsp each salt and pepper

Toss shrimp in a bowl with garlic, salt, spices, orange juice and oil. Heat grill to 400.

Place half of shredded cheeses, zucchini, corn and green onions on one half of each tortilla, top with the other half of the cheeses.

Grill the shrimp for about 3 minutes in an oiled grill pan. Coarsely chop shrimp and scatter on the other ingredients. Fold tortillas in half and grill about 1-2 minutes on each side until cheese is melted. Remove from grill, cut into wedges, and serve with salad on the side.

Paintcharge
11-10-2010, 11:16 AM
Don't you people use spices? A little sprinkle of chili powder and cumin on the cheese goes a long way.

ETA Chefguy, you snuck that one past me.

Leaffan
11-10-2010, 11:17 AM
Tortilla
Shredded cheese
Other fillings
Fold or top with second tortilla
Bake in oven, or toaster oven, at 325-ish for 5-ish minutes per side-ish.

Athena
11-10-2010, 11:19 AM
I know what I'm having for lunch!

Bosstone
11-10-2010, 11:23 AM
Yeah, the biggest problem with the microwave is it doesn't get the tortilla all nice and crispy. The grill is good for that.

I actually do own that quesadilla grill linked in the OP. Waste of money, trust me.

Ellen Cherry
11-10-2010, 11:24 AM
Don't you people use spices? A little sprinkle of chili powder and cumin on the cheese goes a long way.

Ooops. Yes, sprinkle liberally with chili powder or Tony Chachere's. Or cayenne.

silenus
11-10-2010, 11:27 AM
Quesadillas are what I make when I can't be arsed to cook. Anything other than the basics is contra-indicated. But I do usually sprinkle some Mexican oregano over the cheese before nuking.

aceplace57
11-10-2010, 11:35 AM
If you use chicken or beef I guess it has to be pre-cooked? Or does it cook inside the Quesadilla?

Ellen Cherry
11-10-2010, 11:40 AM
Precooked.

Bosstone
11-10-2010, 11:42 AM
If you tried to cook it in the quesadilla the tortilla and the cheese would be burnt black long before the meat was ready.

aceplace57
11-10-2010, 12:00 PM
Ok, that makes sense. Browning some hamburger first isn't a problem.

Alpha Twit
11-10-2010, 12:07 PM
If you tried to cook it in the quesadilla the tortilla and the cheese would be burnt black long before the meat was ready.

Add the fact that meat releases water as it cooks. That water would do ugly, messy things to a quesadilla.

Chefguy
11-10-2010, 12:08 PM
I make the large ones with flour torts and small ones with corn torts. Both are good.

Yllaria
11-10-2010, 12:26 PM
On a related note, some day I will make and eat a chupaqueso. (Scroll down.) (http://www.schlockmercenary.com/2003-09-06)

Possibly with avocado.

KneadToKnow
11-10-2010, 12:36 PM
Hot pan, butter in pan, butter on tortilla #1, tortilla #1 in pan buttered side down, cheese on tortilla, butter on tortilla #2, tortilla #2 in pan, buttered side up, flip when tortilla #1 is browned to my liking, out when tortilla #2 is.

KneadToKnow
11-10-2010, 12:41 PM
Damn, now I'm hungry again.

Kyla
11-10-2010, 12:50 PM
Heat up tortilla on the comal.

Put cheese on half the tortilla.

Fold over.

Remove quesadilla from comal.

Eat.

Repeat until no longer hungry/you're out of tortillas.

pulykamell
11-10-2010, 01:03 PM

For a quesadilla, not really. Just flour or corn tortillas (I'll go either way on this), a quesadilla cheese (either manchengo, oaxaca or something labeled queso quesadilla), and fried in a pan, not the microwave. (I prefer the crispy fritas style rather than in a comal.) It might be a single corn tortilla folded over, or it might be two flour tortillas with filling sandwiched in between (which is more like a sincronizada than a Mexican quesadilla). Fillings may include fried poblanos, huitlacoche, squash blossoms, or mushrooms. I really don't want cumin or chili powder in my quesadilla. The heat comes from the salsa served aside it.

NicorGasMan
11-10-2010, 01:03 PM
Heat up tortilla on the comal.

Put cheese on half the tortilla.

Fold over.

Remove quesadilla from comal.

Eat.

Repeat until no longer hungry/you're out of tortillas.

This.

A quesadilla has 2 ingredients - tortilla and cheese.

amarinth
11-10-2010, 01:29 PM
If you use chicken or beef I guess it has to be pre-cooked? Or does it cook inside the Quesadilla?needs to be pre-cooked. It's a good way of using up leftover meat.

But it's also my "I can't be bothered to cook" food. Cheese, tortillas, microwave. (Or occasionally skillet. But if i can't be bothered to cook, I can't be bothered to clean, either). Buying special equipment for quesadillas is kind of silly.

Anne Neville
11-10-2010, 02:06 PM
Spray some nonstick spray on a nonstick pan.

Put shredded cheese on a tortilla. Fold the tortilla in half and put it in the pan.

Cook on medium-high until cheese starts to melt and bottom of tortilla starts to brown.

Flip it over. If you've cooked it enough, cheese will not fall out when you do this. Tossing and catching it is showing off.

Cook until browned to your taste on the second side.

If you like, you could add other stuff (if needed, this stuff should be cooked to a point where you'd be comfortable eating it before it goes into the quesadilla) with the cheese. I like pickled jalapenos. Don't add too much stuff, though. Quesadillas are best eaten with your hands, and the two sides of the tortilla should stick together when it is held up. And be sure to drain any liquid from anything before you add it to the quesadilla. Soggy quesadillas are no good.

salinqmind
11-10-2010, 02:39 PM
I melt a little butter in a no-stick pan. Lay out flour tortillas and fill one side with shredded cheese and maybe lightly cooked finely sliced green/red/yellow peppers and onions - not too much. (you can really put anything in, it's basically a grilled sandwich with a flat bread.) Fold the blank side over the filling. transfer to pan, press down with spatula and let cook till nicely done. Flip, press down a minute more. Serve. So easy, and I really can't make enough, they disappear fast. They disappear out of the refrigerator in the middle of the night, too.

CBEscapee
11-10-2010, 02:39 PM
The recipes above all use tortillas. We also enjoy quesadillas made from fresh masa.

Prepare filling of your choice from plain cheese to something more elaborate such as sauteed squash blossoms (a la pukymel), roasted chiles, chopped shrimp sauteed with fresh tomato, onion and cilantro etc. Take a small ball of masa and flatten (tortilla press or rolling pin work) it to the size of a small tortilla, 10-12 cm. Place filling on on half on the masa and fold in two. Seal the edge by squeezing gently. deep fry until golden.

Top with the salsa of your choice, having several to choose from is nice like a green salsa or a dried chile salsa, crumbled queso seco (parmesan can be used) some fresh crema and shredded lettuce.

CheapBastid
08-10-2015, 05:29 PM
While the Quesadilla Making Process is well documented here, I'm zombie-fying this thread to ask the deeper question:

What Cheese to use?

In my early explorations I tried Queso cheese (isn't melt-y enough). Then tried Oaxacan cheese that wasn't as good as Monterey Jack. That seems to most approximate the amazing qualities of the Highland Park 'My Taco' Quesadillas.

So I'm asking for more depth of field for the choice of cheese, what say you?

silenus
08-10-2015, 07:09 PM
Kraft Mexican Blend Shredded Cheese. Maybe toss in a little shredded Pepper Jack or Moz if there's any in the fridge.

Left Hand of Dorkness
08-10-2015, 07:16 PM
Well, LOOK AT ALL YOU FANCY PEOPLE with your fancy quesadillas. Were these a thing back in 2010?

Put a damn tortilla in a pan. No, you don't gotta oil it. Turn on the heat.

Sprinkle some damn cheese on top.

Fold it in half.

Go do something like post on the Straight Dope.

Come back and hope you haven't burnt everything. Flip the quesadilla.

Go get a beer from the fridge.

Take the finished quesadilla out of the pan. Boom!

As the dad of two young kids, I make a crapload of quesadillas. Tortillas+cheese+heat. THat's all there is to it. The only simpler dish is toast.

Spud
08-10-2015, 07:47 PM
The only simpler dish is toast.

If anyone has a good recipe please let me know... I've been boiling mine and it just doesn't seem right.

SeaDragonTattoo
08-10-2015, 08:01 PM
No, no, no. Don't boil your toast. Deep fry it!

GaryM
08-10-2015, 08:32 PM
Boil it in oil.

Spud
08-10-2015, 08:45 PM
Ok... I deep fried a loaf, but it has this kind of weird melted plastic taste to it.

And before you think I'm stupid or something, I knew enough to cut off the end of the bag with the twist tie.

Skywatcher
08-10-2015, 08:49 PM
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Salton-Santa-Fe-Quesadilla-Maker/5639871I've used a folded tortilla in something like this (http://salestores.com/blackdeckerg02.html?gclid=Cj0KEQjwl6GuBRD8x4G646HX7ZYBEiQADGnzuvK4oDhXKmD-kdrmSpG0gS8L1-t3wGpKeBpbFs1gh-8aAl7b8P8HAQ#.VclT9PlVhBc) to good effect. Such a device isn't limited to quesadillas.

Loach
08-10-2015, 08:58 PM
Am I the only one who uses a quesadilla maker?

Rushgeekgirl
08-10-2015, 09:01 PM
It's the only way to get my kid to eat tuna.

Tuna
Monterey Jack
dab of sour cream, just enough to make the tuna get a little creamy
2 flour tortillas

spray tortilla with oil, butter it, or rub some bacon on it. I love bacon grease personally. Just a little. Just enough. :)

assemble stuffings on top of tortilla, not too much though. Cover the skillet for about 2 minutes so the cheese gets a little melty, uncover and cook another minute or two, so you can hear the sizzle of the tortilla frying. Then cover with another greased tortilla, smoosh it down a bit on the melty cheesy tuna, then flip it. I maneuver with two spatulas myself. Get that side sizzle-y as well and then flip it on a plate. I like to have a side of chilled avocado chunks (or a squeezy tube of the packet guacamole), lettuce and tomatoes.

We have them about once a week, sometimes with tuna, sometimes with chicken or beans.

GrumpyBunny
08-10-2015, 09:25 PM
(basically a grilled cheese made with torlillas instead of bread)

This. ^^^^

I use, in a non-stick pan.

Tortillas.
Fresh salsa.
Shredded cheese. ETA, just a standard "Mexican" blend. I find cheddar isn't quite right, and jack isn't quite right either. The mix is nice.

Warm, flip, serve when cheese is melted and outside of tortillas is toasty.

Serve with guac and/or sour cream, if you like.

salinqmind
08-10-2015, 09:38 PM
I really think it needs just a smidge of butter, even on one side, to push it over from good to really good when you throw it in the pan.

TriPolar
08-10-2015, 10:08 PM
Buttered and grilled. It can be full size or a tortilla folded. Cheese and jalapeno are required, just about anything else optional. I prefer to serve with sour cream, guacamole, and fresh salsa on the side.

SeaDragonTattoo
08-10-2015, 10:29 PM
Am I the only one who uses a quesadilla maker?Yes.

I'm with Alton Brown on the whole one-trick pony kitchen appliances. They're just not necessary the large majority of the time. Only a couple of exceptions come to mind - popcorn popper, and coffee maker - though depending on the maker, it can be argued that it could be used for other things!

Mr Downtown
08-10-2015, 10:59 PM
I like to do them on my old-fashioned round waffle iron, but I never close the lid. Flour tortilla, a few Southwestern precooked chicken strips (from Aldi), shredded cheese, another tortilla on top. As the cheese melts, press the top tortilla down around the perimeter to get something of a seal. Finally, flip it to get those nice Maillard reactions on the other side as well.

Dag Otto
08-14-2015, 01:27 PM
Cheese, fresh roasted green chile, and a scrambled egg.

Johnny L.A.
08-14-2015, 01:44 PM
I'm with Alton Brown on the whole one-trick pony kitchen appliances. They're just not necessary the large majority of the time. Only a couple of exceptions come to mind - popcorn popper, and coffee maker - though depending on the maker, it can be argued that it could be used for other things!
When I make popcorn, I use a pot on the stove. No need for a uni-tasker. Although next time I might use a Pyrex bowl in the microwave oven, as suggested in a thread I read here this year.

I seldom make quesadillas. I do like to make sincronizadas (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sincronizada) with refried beans, ham, and cheddar; topped off with guacamole, sour cream, shredded cheese, and diced tomato.

May 20
08-14-2015, 01:55 PM
I fixed quesadillas for lunch. Smear refried beans on a tortilla; place bean-side up in a skillet; cover beans with cheese (Colby-Jack for us); top with another tortilla. Flip when bottom tortilla is toasty; toast the other side. Put on a plate, and cut into quarters. Eat. :)

Fwiw, the kids don't care for the beans. They'll eat just cheese quesadillas.

Johnny L.A.
08-14-2015, 02:00 PM
I fixed quesadillas for lunch. Smear refried beans on a tortilla; place bean-side up in a skillet; cover beans with cheese (Colby-Jack for us); top with another tortilla.

Add ham, and you have a sincronizada. ;)

Spud
08-14-2015, 02:58 PM
When I make popcorn, I use a pot on the stove.

Best popcorn popper in the world is a big wok with a lid.

dracoi
08-14-2015, 03:05 PM
To me, a quesadilla is just two tortillas with cheese, toasted in a frying pan or griddle. I don't even use butter or oil, though my wife likes how that affects the texture. (It's a grilled cheese sandwich with tortillas instead of bread.)

It doesn't require anything else, in my opinion, but I do often put a little guacamole, salsa or hot sauce on after it's cooked. My wife likes to add sour cream.

I honestly don't care for any other ingredients. If I wanted meat, beans, vegetables, etc. then what I really wanted is better called a taco, nacho, burrito or enchilada.

BeeGee
08-14-2015, 04:15 PM
I heat my tortillas directly on the stove burner first using tongs, then fill, then melt in a non-stick pan. No butter. But you need to fire the tortillas before filling so they won’t be all gooey and doughy. I use the Mexican cheese blend from the grocery store and a sprinkling of cojita cheese, too. Guacamole makes a nice dip.

Drunky Smurf
08-14-2015, 04:46 PM
Ok... I deep fried a loaf, but it has this kind of weird melted plastic taste to it.

And before you think I'm stupid or something, I knew enough to cut off the end of the bag with the twist tie.

Try again but this time with peanut oil. And bread it with panko crumbs.

May 20
08-15-2015, 02:15 PM
Add ham, and you have a sincronizada. ;)
Shh. Don't tell my husband. I don't want any more steps. ;)

jasg
08-15-2015, 02:37 PM
How about a breakfast quesadilla?

Heat a 9" non-stick pan with a teaspoon of oil to medium. Add a beaten egg, when bottom starts to set, sprinkle with cheese and place a corn tortilla on top.
Let egg cook a bit more and using a broad thin spatula, *flip.
Sprinkle with cheese and add another tortilla.
Flip once more to crisp each tortilla and serve with your favorite salsa.

Optionally, add bacon crumbles with cheese.

* this takes a bit of practice but the result is well worth it! Use the spatula to free the edges, give the pan a shake to free the egg if it sticks.

Johnny L.A.
08-15-2015, 02:51 PM
Shh. Don't tell my husband. I don't want any more steps. ;)

OI! MR. May20! Ask for ham!

silenus
08-15-2015, 03:19 PM
But a sincronizada uses corn tortillas. With wheat tortillas it's just a quesadilla with ham.

Johnny L.A.
08-15-2015, 03:26 PM
But a sincronizada uses corn tortillas. With wheat tortillas it's just a quesadilla with ham.

http://www.mexican-authentic-recipes.com/appetizers-sincronizada.html
Normally the sincronizadas are made with large flour tortillas.
And the ones I've gotten off of taco trucks (in L.A. and Orange Counties) use flour tortillas.

silenus
08-15-2015, 03:44 PM
In Mexico (which is the only place I've had them) they are made with corn tortillas. Thrillist (https://www.thrillist.com/eat/nation/authentic-mexican-dishes) backs me up on this. Typical gringos - using wheat when corn is better. :p

Švejk
08-16-2015, 10:25 AM
I love Quesadillas. We have a place called Taco Bueno that makes good one. But $5 is a bit pricey.

Can you make good ones at home? How do you do it?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Salton-Santa-Fe-Quesadilla-Maker/5639871

With my Foreman Grill, toaster, coffee pot, waffle iron. My desire for another countertop gadget is non-existent. But, I do love Quesadillas. ;) I hope a machine isn't necessary.

Any receipes for beef Quesadillas?

It's very complicated, don't try it at home unless there is an adult there to help you!

CBEscapee
08-16-2015, 06:48 PM
In Mexico (which is the only place I've had them) they are made with corn tortillas. Thrillist (https://www.thrillist.com/eat/nation/authentic-mexican-dishes) backs me up on this. Typical gringos - using wheat when corn is better. :p

I am Mexican and have lived in Mexico all of my life. Guadalajara mostly. Flour tortillas are the most commonly used tortilla for sincronizadas here. But either can be used.

Smapti
08-16-2015, 06:58 PM
I always make quesadillas with one tortilla. Two and it's a mulita.

I usually keep it simple with mine - heat the tortilla in a skillet, sprinkle some shredded sharp cheddar on one half, let it start to melt, fold the tortilla, let it cook a little longer and give it a flip if necessary, finish with some Tapatio.

For the two-tortilla variety, I prefer to put some shredded taco beef (which I make in the slow cooker and I'm sure I've mentioned at some point) in the middle in addition to the cheese, and I top the finished mulita with guacamole.

Balthisar
08-16-2015, 08:49 PM
I am Mexican and have lived in Mexico all of my life. Guadalajara mostly. Flour tortillas are the most commonly used tortilla for sincronizadas here. But either can be used.

Guanajuato state, too: flour is the predominant sincronizada tortilla.

Some other “normal” differences:

Sincronizadas are usually made from yellow cheese instead of the standard Oaxaca/quesillo or generic quesadilla cheese.
Sincronizadas are made from two tortillas.
Quesadillas made from two tortillas as many of describe aren’t quesadillas; they’re types of gringas.
The standard gringa is al pastor, but these days, gringas have pretty much any filling.
They not called gringas because American women accidently made them instead of true quesadillas; they’re light coloured because they’re made with flour tortillas.
Go into Mexico City and its surroundings, and everything that you can put into any type of tortilla is called a quesadilla, even if it doesn’t have cheese.

How do I make a quesadilla? Pretty much any way; they're simply homemade food. But here's something you all might try: paratha! Buy them frozen, cook them frozen, once the first side is done, flip, add your fillings fold, and flip as necessary until the paratha is done and the cheese is melted.

silenus
08-16-2015, 09:35 PM
Guess I hit the only place in Mexico that uses corn tortillas! :p

That'll learn me.

Johnny L.A.
08-16-2015, 09:47 PM
That'll learn me.

Dern ye! ;)

What the .... ?!?!
08-26-2015, 07:22 AM
I zap them in the microwave for about 45 seconds and then transfer to a griddle. That seems to bring out enough of the oil in the tortilla to avoid butter.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.