PDA

View Full Version : Christina AGUILERA - you don't rate a one-name moniker

Don Draper
11-10-2010, 03:10 PM
Ok, stupid topic I know but -

I've seen posters on bus-stops and ads on buses advertising a new movie (whose name actually escapes me at the moment) but it is billed as starring "Cher" and "Christina." My first thought was "Christina who?" and then I saw the fine print that stated it was "Christina Aguilera." My second thought was "You can't pull off the one-name moniker, Ms. Aguilera."

I understand the reasoning behind the one-name moniker: it's a bold statement about just how successful you are, you're so famous that nobody needs to say or ask your last name - it's always understood who you're talking about. It's also convenient for "branding" & marketing purposes - a single word title just has a better ring to it.

Of course, some celebs get away with one-name monikers because their names are off-beat or unusual enough that there's no mistaking them for anybody else - Prince, Madonna, Aretha or Cher. None of them are unique names, but they are rare enough that you can make a safe bet who a person is talking about.(There's not a whole lot of other pop singers named "Beyonce" for example.)

Then there are nicknames - Sting, Bono, P-Diddy (or Diddy) - that are truly unique, so there simply is nobody else to confuse them with.

And of course, there are celebs who have been wildly famous for a long, long time that they are just part of the collective pop consciousness - Michael, Frank, Tina. Elvis. (Conversely, there are some celebs who have been so overexposed that you can't escape mention of them - Britney, Lindsey.)

But then there's someone like Christina Aguilera. Sorry, but she has always struck me as being strictly second-tier. She has a fairly common name. And while she is famous, I don't think's she ever ascended to the level of ubiquity that justifies a one-name title. She is not a trailblazer like Frank or Michael, and has only been around for about a decade (unlike Tina, who's been singing since the 50s) and her name doesn't get bandied about in tabloids nearly as Britney or Lindsey. I just don't think she measures up.

Anyway, your thoughts?

Nobody
11-10-2010, 03:32 PM
Ok, stupid topic I know but -

I've seen posters on bus-stops and ads on buses advertising a new movie (whose name actually escapes me at the moment) but it is billed as starring "Cher" and "Christina." My first thought was "Christina who?" and then I saw the fine print that stated it was "Christina Aguilera." My second thought was "You can't pull off the one-name moniker, Ms. Aguilera."

I understand the reasoning behind the one-name moniker: it's a bold statement about just how successful you are, you're so famous that nobody needs to say or ask your last name - it's always understood who you're talking about. It's also convenient for "branding" & marketing purposes - a single word title just has a better ring to it.

Of course, some celebs get away with one-name monikers because their names are off-beat or unusual enough that there's no mistaking them for anybody else - Prince, Madonna, Aretha or Cher. None of them are unique names, but they are rare enough that you can make a safe bet who a person is talking about.(There's not a whole lot of other pop singers named "Beyonce" for example.)

Then there are nicknames - Sting, Bono, P-Diddy (or Diddy) - that are truly unique, so there simply is nobody else to confuse them with.

And of course, there are celebs who have been wildly famous for a long, long time that they are just part of the collective pop consciousness - Michael, Frank, Tina. Elvis. (Conversely, there are some celebs who have been so overexposed that you can't escape mention of them - Britney, Lindsey.)

But then there's someone like Christina Aguilera. Sorry, but she has always struck me as being strictly second-tier. She has a fairly common name. And while she is famous, I don't think's she ever ascended to the level of ubiquity that justifies a one-name title. She is not a trailblazer like Frank or Michael, and has only been around for about a decade (unlike Tina, who's been singing since the 50s) and her name doesn't get bandied about in tabloids nearly as Britney or Lindsey. I just don't think she measures up.

Anyway, your thoughts?
Two things.
1. I totally agree. When I listen to music radio I listen to a rock station, so I don't pay much attention to her music, but it seems like she disappeared for a while, and it's only been the last few weeks or so that I've heard anything about her, kind of like she's making a comeback.

2. I hate to ask, but Michael who?

Covered_In_Bees!
11-10-2010, 03:33 PM
Jackson?

He was big in the 80s I hear. Haven't heard much about him recently though. He had a comeback tour planned but I think it kinda died*.

*Yes yes, I'll see you guys in Hell too.

Nobody
11-10-2010, 03:34 PM
Oh, sorry. Yeah, Michael was HUGE, but I never thought of him as a one name act.

Hampshire
11-10-2010, 03:37 PM
I agree with pretty much all of your example with the exception of maybe Michael.
If I asked somebody what kind of music they listened to and they said "I listen to a lot of Michael" I'd still have to respond with "Michael who?" Michael is just too common of a name.
And I agree, Christina is just too common also.

Justin_Bailey
11-10-2010, 03:39 PM
I assume you're referring to a poster that looks an awful lot like this:

http://justjared.buzznet.com/2010/08/30/christina-aguilera-cher-burlesque-poster-stars/

I'd say it's to give the whole thing symmetry and nothing more. Christina Aguilera already tried the one name thing once (her marketers started calling her Xtina in the press) and it dropped it when she realized it made her sound like a little kid (or a mutant). Listing her on the poster as just Christina with no Aguilera just looks better when it's next to Cher with no last name.

Snowboarder Bo
11-10-2010, 03:41 PM
I am in total agreement with the OP. Plus, I can't wait for the new album from John!

Nobody
11-10-2010, 03:42 PM
Wow. Most dopers don't like John.

Covered_In_Bees!
11-10-2010, 03:44 PM
I thought John was killed by a maniacal fan?

Nobody
11-10-2010, 03:45 PM
Well, yes, John was. But not John.

Covered_In_Bees!
11-10-2010, 03:46 PM
Oh! Sorry, brief memory lapse there. :smack:

Nobody
11-10-2010, 03:47 PM
It's OK. It's easy to confuse them. They both have the same name after all.

Markxxx
11-10-2010, 03:49 PM
I agree it's just for formatting the sign.

Manwich
11-10-2010, 04:00 PM
Also, "AGUILERA" is about as attractive as a close-up of a dog's anus. It's got letters all over the place.

multimediac17
11-10-2010, 06:14 PM
It's just so the names on the poster match up. If she tried releasing her next album as "Christina" then I think there'd be reason to tell her "oh, honey, no".

For example:

"Britney" - most people would immediately think "Spears". "Christina" - just doesn't have that same level of recognition.

I've never thought of Freddie Mercury or Michael Jackson as artists who suited one name, it feels like their full name should be present to have greater effect. "Freddie" is the kid who lives down the street, "FREDDIE MERCURY" is one of the greatest artists who ever lived. "Michael" sounds weak, but "MICHAEL JACKSON" (accompanied by fireworks and pyrotechnics if possible) sounds much better. Janet, on the other hand, hasn't used "Jackson" on her album covers for a long time, since about 1993, presumably to distance herself from the family.

ETA: for some reason I read "Frank" as "Freddie" in the OP... twice. Must get my eyes checked.

outlierrn
11-10-2010, 10:16 PM
While I'm not going to argue with anything the OP said, and I deny being a fan, I will say that Ms Aguilera is a far better singer than anyone in the OP with the exception of Aretha and, maybe, Tina. She may not be as famous, or as rich as the others, but the girl has pipes.

Manduck
11-10-2010, 10:39 PM
While I'm not going to argue with anything the OP said, and I deny being a fan, I will say that Ms Aguilera is a far better singer than anyone in the OP with the exception of Aretha and, maybe, Tina. She may not be as famous, or as rich as the others, but the girl has pipes.

I thought it was Whitney with the pipes?

Little Nemo
11-10-2010, 10:47 PM
I'm still not sold on Beyonce. She's still Beyonce Knowles to me.

GuanoLad
11-10-2010, 11:13 PM
In the non-musical realm, here are a few famous first names that need no elaboration:

Oprah
Demi
Paris
Tyra

Names blatantly stolen from Samm Levine's game on Kevin Pollak's Chat Show

GuanoLad
11-10-2010, 11:15 PM
Two things.Here's two things:

1. Please don't quote an entire lengthy post just to add a couple of lines underneath.

2. Especially don't do it when your reply is immediately after the post you're quoting.

Nobody
11-10-2010, 11:37 PM
Here's two things:

1. Please don't quote an entire lengthy post just to add a couple of lines underneath.

2. Especially don't do it when your reply is immediately after the post you're quoting.
I've done that before, and have had someone else get a post in before me. Then I have to go back and edit my post to let people know who I was responding to. Quoting what I'm responding to keeps that from happening.

GuanoLad
11-10-2010, 11:51 PM
You just did it again! Argh!

Covered_In_Bees!
11-11-2010, 12:00 AM
It's annoying as fuck isn't it Lad?

On topic: John > John.

outlierrn
11-11-2010, 12:25 AM
I thought it was Whitney with the pipes?

Whitney who?

multimediac17
11-11-2010, 02:06 AM
I'm still not sold on Beyonce. She's still Beyonce Knowles to me.

On all her albums and singles, she's officially credited as "Beyoncé" (except, I think, for some early featured appearances, when she used her last name), and when acting, she's "Beyoncé Knowles". Maybe she thinks having a last name makes her a more credible actress?

Nobody
11-11-2010, 02:07 AM
Sorry.

Taomist
11-11-2010, 02:15 AM
Sorry.

I wouldn't worry. I do the same thing, for the same reasons; my only suggestion would be to cut the wall-o-text quote down to a sentence or two that expresses what, in particular, you're responding to.

Nobody
11-11-2010, 02:17 AM
Good idea.

GuanoLad
11-11-2010, 02:20 AM
Elton is a good one.

Though if he'd kept his real name, Reginald probably would've been unique enough to work as well.

BigT
11-11-2010, 04:31 AM
Elton is a good one.

Yes, but his last name is so short, there's no reason to reduce. Heck, you can say the guy's name in two syllables if you soften the T, like people often do.

As for Aguilerra--what always bothered me more is that her name is pronounced oddly. Why in the world does the I become silent, and the U become an American "you"?

Still, it's unique, so she should go by that if she wants a one-name moniker.

Then again, I still don't think Lindsay Lohan deserves a single name. Stupid tabloids.

Cazzle
11-11-2010, 04:43 AM
Which other Christinas are you confusing her with?

multimediac17
11-11-2010, 05:06 AM
Then again, I still don't think Lindsay Lohan deserves a single name. Stupid tabloids.

In my experience those outside of her fanbase/those who aren't tabloid junkies can't even spell her first name properly (I always see Lindsey, Lyndsay, Lyndsey, Lynndhsie) (okay maybe not that last one), let alone refer to her by it exclusively. Anyway, it's not really a matter of "deserve", it's just who's the most famous right now with a name not shared with any comparable celebrities.

Nava
11-11-2010, 05:50 AM
Hey, I didn't know Frank was a musician!

Agreed that Ms. Aguilera isn't single-name, but yeah, some of the examples in the OP aren't either - or the single name is not the firstname. If I hear "Sinatra", I'm not going to think "Nancy", but if I hear "Frank", I'll ask "Frank, which one?"

GuanoLad
11-11-2010, 05:56 AM
"Frank, which one?"Stallone.

RickJay
11-11-2010, 08:12 AM
As for Aguilerra--what always bothered me more is that her name is pronounced oddly. Why in the world does the I become silent, and the U become an American "you"?
Only one R. Aguilera. And who pronounces it without the L?

Jackknifed Juggernaut
11-11-2010, 08:42 AM
Which other Christinas are you confusing her with?

That's just what I was going to say. I think that she's supremely talented, very hot and has the claim on "Christina". If you don't agree, just google "Christina".

Sigmagirl
11-11-2010, 08:50 AM
Could be worse. Could be Mariah. At least we don't know Christina Aguilera can't act.

Nobody
11-11-2010, 10:34 AM
, but if I hear "Frank", I'll ask "Frank, which one?"
Who are other Franks that are famous singers?

The Controvert
11-11-2010, 10:39 AM
Frank Stallone. Huh, I see GuanoLad beat me and the question positor to it.

Nobody
11-11-2010, 10:46 AM
I've heard the name, but am not familiar with his work. According to Wikipedia...

Stallone wrote and performed "Far From Over" for the 1983 film Staying Alive.[2] The song was released mid April 1983. The song peaked at #10 on the Billboard Hot 100, becoming his only major pop hit.

I'm going to have to look that up on Youtube, because the name of that song doesn't sound familiar.

Little Nemo
11-11-2010, 10:58 AM
Who are other Franks that are famous singers?Seriously, I'd probably think of Zappa before Sinatra.

Nobody
11-11-2010, 11:00 AM
Of course, how could I forget him? Granted, I've never heard any of his songs, but he is (or was) a big enough name that I should have thought of him anyway.

GargoyleWB
11-11-2010, 11:27 AM
"First name: Mister.
Second name: That dot.
Third name: T"

Don Draper
11-11-2010, 12:36 PM
That's just what I was going to say. I think that she's supremely talented, very hot and has the claim on "Christina". If you don't agree, just google "Christina".

I just tried that - the first name that came up was Christine O'Donnell.

Off the top of my head, I can think of...

Christina Applegate
Christina Ricci
Christina Hendricks
Christina Perri
Christina Millian

OK, the last two would have been stretches. But as you can see, the name is nowhere near exclusive to Ms. Aguilera. How many other pop stars named "Beyonce" or "Madonna" can you name?

In fact, when I was asking myself "Christina who?" My first guess was going to be Applegate.

Little Nemo
11-11-2010, 02:26 PM
"First name: Mister.
Second name: That dot.
Third name: T"I was watching a "making of" special recently about a movie in which Mr. T appeared. And the directors said they didn't know how to address him. Were they supposed to call him Mister? Or T? Or Mr. T? Or Larry?

Jackknifed Juggernaut
11-11-2010, 03:44 PM
I just tried that - the first name that came up was Christine O'Donnell.....

That's not even the same name. You're probably referring to the autofill, which isn't the same thing. type in 'Christina', and then search.

Off the top of my head, I can think of...

Christina Applegate
Christina Ricci
Christina Hendricks
Christina Perri
Christina Millian

OK, the last two would have been stretches. But as you can see, the name is nowhere near exclusive to Ms. Aguilera. How many other pop stars named "Beyonce" or "Madonna" can you name?

In fact, when I was asking myself "Christina who?" My first guess was going to be Applegate.

They're all actresses, besides Milian. In the world of pop music, there is only one Christina who could just be 'Christina'. And she's the one. I think Beyonce and Madonna are not nearly as common names, so the one name thing is an easier sell for them.

DiosaBellissima
11-11-2010, 04:01 PM
While I definitely agree that Michael Jackson isn't a one name act (if nothing else, because he had such a darn common name), I'd say that if I said, "I listen to a lot of MJ," most folks would know what I mean. Still not Cher or anything, but certainly more recognizable than "Michael."

Also, as a bit of a pop music aficionado, it's worth noting that Christina Aguilera (and um, how else would you pronounce that if not that way she does? The only other way someone could say it would be "Ahh-gee-ler-uh" instead of "Ag-you-ler-uh" but neither is wrong) has never tried to bill herself as a one name act, except during that brief and oh-so-scandalous "Dirrty" phase, where she was Xtina.

Her last album was a big ol' flop and while the one before that sold well, she's been sort of wrapped up in this weird, attempting to be a 1940s singer/ burlesque act thing that people don't seem to like. Speaking as someone who LOVED the Dirrty album, I wish she'd go back to that, instead of this thing she's been doing since she got married. Hopefully with her divorce, she'll go back to assless chaps Xtina ;).

This movie is supposed to be the big boost her career needs. We'll see how it goes, I suppose. She does look great in the trailers, though- it's nice to see her without ugly red lips, platinum fried hair, and drawn on eyebrows.

Jim's Son
11-11-2010, 04:32 PM
Wasn't she at one time trying "Xtina"? She was acting like a slut a few years ago before changing her act, getting married, etc.

Vocally she may be the best of the "young girl singers" that appeared a decade ago: Britney Spears, Mandy Moore, Hilary Duff, Jennifer Love Hewitt. I don't think it's much of s stretch for her management to pass her off as a "one name" act. Just don't try an unpronounceable glyph like some purple-dressed short man from Minnesota did.

multimediac17
11-11-2010, 04:32 PM
Come on, we all know who's going to get the real boost from this movie - Cher! Get ready everyone, Cher's coming back... again!

"Xtina" always slightly annoyed me - if she's basing it on the shortening of "Christmas" to "Xmas", shouldn't she be "Xina"?

It's too bad about her last album Bionic, it probably had the most enjoyable songs out of any Xtina (argh) record (I loved the singles from Stripped but found the full album overlong and boring). She has so much potential but really needs a massive image overhaul, with every album she connects less and less with the public and if Burlesque isn't a success she'll be dangerously close to riding solely on the success she had from 1999-2003.

Hang on, massive image overhaul? Maybe she can drop the "Aguilera" and just be "Christina"! Oh wait...

DiosaBellissima
11-11-2010, 04:55 PM
It's too bad about her last album Bionic, it probably had the most enjoyable songs out of any Xtina (argh) record (I loved the singles from Stripped but found the full album overlong and boring).

Oh man, see, I loved Stripped. I mean, it's definitely a certain kind of album (ie: for fucking to :D), but I love it. It's sort of like Blackout in that it's just a solid album from top to bottom, but certainly has a. . .theme (ie: fucking).

multimediac17
11-11-2010, 05:07 PM
Oh man, see, I loved Stripped. I mean, it's definitely a certain kind of album (ie: for fucking to :D), but I love it. It's sort of like Blackout in that it's just a solid album from top to bottom, but certainly has a. . .theme (ie: fucking).

It certainly is consistent, I like to see that in a modern pop album. I love that it had a uniting theme, and I reckon even though I wasn't taken with the album itself, that whole "Dirrty Xtina" era from 'Lady Marmalade' through to 'The Voice Within' was just brilliant.

What she had back then (and needs now) was a purpose, not just a loose concept - for Back To Basics she was like "Let's pretend it's the 40s!!" and now for Bionic she's like "Let's pretend it's the 2040s!!", it's just not working for her.

(Britney's Blackout, on the other hand, is my favourite pure pop album of the decade. So, so good.)

DiosaBellissima
11-11-2010, 05:16 PM
What she had back then (and needs now) was a purpose, not just a loose concept - for Back To Basics she was like "Let's pretend it's the 40s!!" and now for Bionic she's like "Let's pretend it's the 2040s!!", it's just not working for her.

(Britney's Blackout, on the other hand, is my favourite pure pop album of the decade. So, so good.)

You're totally right. Bionic was very. . . try too hard, imho. You're right, it was totally: "YAY! IT'S THE FUTURE! And omg, I'm so scandalous, he wants to put his mouth on my woohoo!" I suppose in the day and age of Gaga, you've got to be a little more creative with your sexual references (it's not necessarily a matter of subtle, just. . . creative. Like "Dance in the Dark" or "Monster," both of which remind me loosely of Prince songs from back in the day with how the lyrics are).

Personally, I detested the whole Back to Basics era after Candy Man. It was cute then, but it just. kept. going. Ugh. I think what's most distressing, on a totally shallow, non musical level, is that she really is a beautiful woman, but goddamn does she ugly herself up sometimes. She looks great in the promos for this movie though, so who knows.

And yes, Blackout is pure epicness. Anyone who says anything different is of no importance to me :). I listen to I Got a Plan every single time I'm in the car.

outlierrn
11-11-2010, 07:38 PM
Interestingly enough, according to Forbes, Judge Judy made more money that Christina this year.

http://www.forbes.com/2010/11/08/hollywood-top-earning-women-business-entertainment-top-earning-women_slide.html

Le Ministre de l'au-delà
11-11-2010, 08:01 PM
Seriously, I'd probably think of Zappa before Sinatra.

Seconded. I even like them both, but Zappa's the one I think of first.

Little Nemo
11-11-2010, 08:59 PM
It would have made for a very different movie if they had cast Zappa instead of Sinatra in Ocean's Eleven.

Gymnopithys
11-12-2010, 09:57 AM
I am in total agreement with the OP. Plus, I can't wait for the new album from John!

Didn't know John Wayne was a singer :smack:

Raguleader
11-12-2010, 10:37 AM
"Xtina" always slightly annoyed me - if she's basing it on the shortening of "Christmas" to "Xmas", shouldn't she be "Xina"?

I guess then they'd be worried about people mixing her up with Lucy Lawless's character.

And I for one like the retro-styled songs.:D

SciFiSam
11-12-2010, 12:11 PM
They're all actresses, besides Milian. In the world of pop music, there is only one Christina who could just be 'Christina'. And she's the one. I think Beyonce and Madonna are not nearly as common names, so the one name thing is an easier sell for them.

This was an ad for a movie.

In music, if you just said Christina, I wouldn't think of anyone in particular. Ms Aguilera wouldn't enter my mind, but neither would anyone else. I'd have to read on/listen further to find out who you were talking about.

Does anyone ever refer to Michael Jackson, Tina Turner, Frank Sinatra etc by their first names only, except in articles where their first name has already been mentioned and then later mentions are shorter? (I presume their friends use the short names, too). It's nothing to do with level of fame - it's just not the way they style themselves. Michael, Tina and Frank are far too common to be used as standalone stage names, anyway.

Elvis is different - famous person, unusual name, so the surname is often unnecessary. (But not always, due to Elvis Costello).

BigT
11-12-2010, 06:08 PM
Only one R. Aguilera. And who pronounces it without the L?

That was supposed to be an I. Her name should be pronounced Ag-ee-LER-rah, but it is most usually pronounced Ag-you-LER-rah. The I is silent, and the U becomes the American long U.

And I knew there was only one R. I just mistyped. But a few people do roll that R despite it only being a single R. And even with the Spanish accent, they say Ag-you-LERRRR-rah.

BigT
11-12-2010, 06:17 PM
In my experience those outside of her fanbase/those who aren't tabloid junkies can't even spell her first name properly (I always see Lindsey, Lyndsay, Lyndsey, Lynndhsie) (okay maybe not that last one), let alone refer to her by it exclusively. Anyway, it's not really a matter of "deserve", it's just who's the most famous right now with a name not shared with any comparable celebrities.

And the only reason why Ms. Lohan is in the news is because of the tabloids, who have decided a one name moniker fits her. Even Britney had gotten to one name status before the tabloids took over.

pulykamell
11-12-2010, 07:32 PM
That was supposed to be an I. Her name should be pronounced Ag-ee-LER-rah, but it is most usually pronounced Ag-you-LER-rah. The I is silent, and the U becomes the American long U.

Because it's an Americanized/Anglicized pronunciation. WTF? :confused: My last name is not pronounced the way it "should be" either. How do you feel about "Favre"?

multimediac17
11-12-2010, 07:54 PM
Does anyone ever refer to Michael Jackson, Tina Turner, Frank Sinatra etc by their first names only, except in articles where their first name has already been mentioned and then later mentions are shorter? (I presume their friends use the short names, too). It's nothing to do with level of fame - it's just not the way they style themselves. Michael, Tina and Frank are far too common to be used as standalone stage names, anyway.

On many of Tina Turner's albums (I think most of the ones she's released since the early nineties) she is credited on the front cover as "Tina", and the new pothumous Michael Jackson album coming out in December will have one word on the cover: "Michael". Michael never cut off his last name while he was alive but Ms. Turner has been simply "Tina" quite a few times.

I agree that they are usually referred to by their full name but there have been instances where just the one has been deemed sufficient.

SciFiSam
11-13-2010, 01:00 PM
On many of Tina Turner's albums (I think most of the ones she's released since the early nineties) she is credited on the front cover as "Tina", and the new pothumous Michael Jackson album coming out in December will have one word on the cover: "Michael". Michael never cut off his last name while he was alive but Ms. Turner has been simply "Tina" quite a few times.

I agree that they are usually referred to by their full name but there have been instances where just the one has been deemed sufficient.

Are they actually credited as those names, or are they just the names of those albums? There's a big difference.

Cat Whisperer
11-13-2010, 01:16 PM
While I'm not going to argue with anything the OP said, and I deny being a fan, I will say that Ms Aguilera is a far better singer than anyone in the OP with the exception of Aretha and, maybe, Tina. She may not be as famous, or as rich as the others, but the girl has pipes.Agreed.

Elton is a good one.<snip>Who, Murphy Brown's house painter?

You're totally right. Bionic was very. . . try too hard, imho. You're right, it was totally: "YAY! IT'S THE FUTURE! And omg, I'm so scandalous, he wants to put his mouth on my woohoo!" I suppose in the day and age of Gaga, you've got to be a little more creative with your sexual references (it's not necessarily a matter of subtle, just. . . creative. Like "Dance in the Dark" or "Monster," both of which remind me loosely of Prince songs from back in the day with how the lyrics are).

Personally, I detested the whole Back to Basics era after Candy Man. It was cute then, but it just. kept. going. Ugh. I think what's most distressing, on a totally shallow, non musical level, is that she really is a beautiful woman, but goddamn does she ugly herself up sometimes. She looks great in the promos for this movie though, so who knows.

And yes, Blackout is pure epicness. Anyone who says anything different is of no importance to me :). I listen to I Got a Plan every single time I'm in the car.
I like all of the Christina albums I have so far ("Back to Basics," "Stripped," "Bionic"). She's trying different things, and I give her full props for that. Bionic is worth it just for Bobblehead and Desnudate.

I think I'll have to get my hands on a Britney album (probably start with "Blackout" at your recommendation).

don't ask
11-13-2010, 01:17 PM
I couldn't tell you the name of one Christina Aguilera song but if someone young said to me they were a big Christina fan, I would know who they meant. I can't think of another Christina in recent history.

GuanoLad
11-13-2010, 05:16 PM
Who, Murphy Brown's house painter?That was Eldon.

BigT
11-13-2010, 05:23 PM
Because it's an Americanized/Anglicized pronunciation. WTF? :confused: My last name is not pronounced the way it "should be" either. How do you feel about "Favre"?

You don't anglicize by omitting letters. And Favre is not an Americanization--it is actually pronounced that way in some dialects of French.

Plus, as far as I can tell, Ms. Aguilera herself pronounces it the right way. It's the stupid American media that couldn't pronounce it correctly.

foolsguinea
11-13-2010, 06:05 PM
Oprah
Demi
Paris
TyraAgree on the talk show hosts (something about the form?) but Demi Lovato isn't that big yet, & while I like Paris Cullins (I have his entire Wonder Woman run) he's far from a household name.

:d&r:

pulykamell
11-13-2010, 06:14 PM
You don't anglicize by omitting letters.

What are you talking about? If I saw a name like "Aguilera" and didn't know a lick of Spanish, "agg-YOU-lair-uh" looks like a reasonable Anglicization to me (as would "agg-WEE-lair-uh". And we drop letters all the time when Anglicizing. Does anyone pronounce the K in "Krzyzewski" for example, like is done in Polish?

(And I doubt "Favre" is pronounced "Farv" in English because of some dialect of French--something I never heard of, but let's assume it's true. I suspect it's for the same reason "hors d'oevre" becomes "oar DURV" in English--because "vr" is a wacky combination in English.)

pulykamell
11-13-2010, 06:25 PM
Plus, as far as I can tell, Ms. Aguilera herself pronounces it the right way.

So far as I could find, you are right on this point.

It's the stupid American media that couldn't pronounce it correctly.

Perhaps, but it seems to be the officially recognized pronunciation now. The NLS (http://www.loc.gov/nls/other/sayhow.html) (National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped) specifies that pronunciation for Christina (but not Albert.)

multimediac17
11-13-2010, 08:57 PM
Are they actually credited as those names, or are they just the names of those albums? There's a big difference.

Does Tina Turner have all these different albums all called "Tina"? No, that's what she's credited as on the cover of albums like What's Love Got To Do With It? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/What%27s_Love_Got_to_Do_with_It_(album)), Wildest Dreams (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wildest_Dreams), Twenty Four Seven (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twenty_Four_Seven_(album)) and All The Best (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_the_Best_(Tina_Turner_album)).

The Michael one hasn't been released yet, all I know is that there is no "Jackson" on the cover. It might be on the spine or possibly the back.

Tanbarkie
11-13-2010, 10:46 PM
Well, yes, John was. But not John.

Also, Justin is the new Justin.

Nobody
11-13-2010, 10:51 PM
It's a little too soon for Bieber to replace Timberlake. He's still young and his career is still hot. Granted I don't listen to him, but then I don't listen to Bieber either.

multimediac17
11-14-2010, 01:30 AM
I think I'll have to get my hands on a Britney album (probably start with "Blackout" at your recommendation).

Blackout is absolutely her masterpiece, and if you like that I'd recommend getting The Singles Collection, which came out last year and rounds up all of her best moments from other albums without too much overlap with Blackout (so you won't be re-buying many songs). Many of her other studio albums are patchy, the only other one I would really describe as brilliant as a whole is In The Zone from 2003, but it took years for me to realise that it was quite strong. Blackout was instant.

SciFiSam
11-14-2010, 01:24 PM
Does Tina Turner have all these different albums all called "Tina"? No, that's what she's credited as on the cover of albums like What's Love Got To Do With It? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/What%27s_Love_Got_to_Do_with_It_(album)), Wildest Dreams (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wildest_Dreams), Twenty Four Seven (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twenty_Four_Seven_(album)) and All The Best (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_the_Best_(Tina_Turner_album)).

The Michael one hasn't been released yet, all I know is that there is no "Jackson" on the cover. It might be on the spine or possibly the back.

It clearly didn't work, though, since those articles all refer to her consistently as Tina Turner, not Tina, and her writing credits are as Tina Turner. She's pretty cool and made some great music, but her name simply isn't distinctive enough.

multimediac17
11-14-2010, 11:33 PM
It clearly didn't work, though, since those articles all refer to her consistently as Tina Turner, not Tina, and her writing credits are as Tina Turner. She's pretty cool and made some great music, but her name simply isn't distinctive enough.

You originally said:

Does anyone ever refer to Michael Jackson, Tina Turner, Frank Sinatra etc by their first names only

And the answer for Tina is yes, because it's right there on her album covers. I know she's not always referred to as a single name like Madonna or Cher but I didn't think that was what we were talking about.

BigT
11-15-2010, 12:47 AM
It's a little too soon for Bieber to replace Timberlake. He's still young and his career is still hot. Granted I don't listen to him, but then I don't listen to Bieber either.

Plus there's the simple fact that he's already got a single name--people tend to refer to him as Bieber. Heck, I'd forgotten his first name was Justin.

multimediac17
11-15-2010, 01:32 AM
"Shawty Mane", his rapper alter-ego (I wish I was kidding), is my personal favourite Bieber name.

Snowboarder Bo
11-15-2010, 01:44 AM
How do you feel about "Favre"?

I've always thought his family must be the worst spellers in history, and I fault most of the rest of the world for going along with their idiocy.

It would be like me telling people: my name is spelled B-O, but it's actually pronounced 'Roderick'.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.