PDA

View Full Version : Is this the first Atheist Hymn?

cosmosdan
11-10-2010, 06:00 PM
Saw this hilarious bit from Steve Martin's banjo tour. Steve has done some crap later in his career but this is reminiscent of his brilliant comedy.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/11/10/steve-martin-atheist-gospel_n_781535.html

Snowboarder Bo
11-10-2010, 06:24 PM
Brilliant!

Cisco
11-10-2010, 09:33 PM
hilarious

Brilliant!
Painfully unfunny.

To each his own.

astorian
11-10-2010, 09:36 PM
Speaking as a Catholic who loved Steve in the Seventies...

That was pretty weak. Not offensive in the least, but not at all funny, either.

Marley23
11-11-2010, 12:48 AM
Pretty funny!

jjimm
11-11-2010, 01:28 AM
Oh dear.

WordMan
11-11-2010, 07:15 AM
I enjoyed it. But I love how he over-intellectualizes silliness.

StusBlues
11-11-2010, 07:20 AM
Saw this hilarious bit from Steve Martin's banjo tour. Steve has done some crap later in his career but this is reminiscent of his brilliant comedy.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/11/10/steve-martin-atheist-gospel_n_781535.html

I saw this on Austin City Limits. Very well done.

Dan Norder
11-11-2010, 10:39 AM
That was funny in parts but pretty thinly so for how much song you had to get through to get to those parts.

Here I thought the subject line was going to be serious. Certainly there have been songs proclaiming freethought and atheism. The traditional one is "Thoughts Are Free" (Die Gedanken Sind Frei), but I'm a fan of XTC's "Dear God."

BrainGlutton
11-11-2010, 11:03 AM
That was funny in parts but pretty thinly so for how much song you had to get through to get to those parts.

Here I thought the subject line was going to be serious. Certainly there have been songs proclaiming freethought and atheism. The traditional one is "Thoughts Are Free" (Die Gedanken Sind Frei), but I'm a fan of XTC's "Dear God."

And "(What If God Was) One of Us?" by Joan Osborne, if that counts.

Hal Briston
11-11-2010, 12:02 PM
It'll be running through my head this Sunday as I watch football in my underpants.

Yodalicious
11-11-2010, 12:16 PM
Funny stuff.

Shodan
11-11-2010, 12:18 PM
Y'all are kinda harsh - I thought it was kind of cute. I liked the part about lower-case h especially.

Regards,
Shodan

cosmosdan
11-11-2010, 03:38 PM
And "(What If God Was) One of Us?" by Joan Osborne, if that counts.

Or even Imagine?

Der Trihs
11-11-2010, 03:57 PM

Agnostic's Prayer: (Creatures of Light and Darkness, Roger Zelazny)

Insofar as I may be heard by anything, which may or may not care what I say, I ask, if it matters, that you be forgiven for anything you may have done or failed to do which requires forgiveness. Conversely, if not forgiveness but something else may be required to insure any possible benefit for which you may be eligible after the destruction of your body, I ask that this, whatever it may be, be granted or withheld, as the case may be, in such a manner as to insure your receiving said benefit. I ask this in my capacity as your elected intermediary between yourself and that which may not be yourself, but which may have an interest in the matter of your receiving as much as it is possible for you to receive of this thing, and which may in some way be influenced by this ceremony. Amen.

Bill Door
11-11-2010, 04:18 PM
Agnostic's Prayer: (Creatures of Light and Darkness, Roger Zelazny)

Insofar as I may be heard by anything, which may or may not care what I say, I ask, if it matters, that you be forgiven for anything you may have done or failed to do which requires forgiveness. Conversely, if not forgiveness but something else may be required to insure any possible benefit for which you may be eligible after the destruction of your body, I ask that this, whatever it may be, be granted or withheld, as the case may be, in such a manner as to insure your receiving said benefit. I ask this in my capacity as your elected intermediary between yourself and that which may not be yourself, but which may have an interest in the matter of your receiving as much as it is possible for you to receive of this thing, and which may in some way be influenced by this ceremony. Amen.

I hope you transcribed this yourself. Because if a professional writer, with an editor I assume, twice used insure instead of ensure, I'm going to be disturbed, distressed, and dismayed.

Contrapuntal
11-11-2010, 04:30 PM
And "(What If God Was) One of Us?" by Joan Osborne, if that counts.Original title "One of Us", written by Eric Bazilian.

Chronos
11-11-2010, 04:40 PM
I never got the impression that "What if God was One of Us" was atheistic. Quite the contrary, it seems most consistent with the assumption that the writer does believe in God.

Another one in the category, though, would be the old Communist song "Pie in the Sky", which basically states that lying preachers promise us rewards in the next life, but that Communism promises rewards in this one.

Max the Immortal
11-11-2010, 05:51 PM
:dubious:

You know that feeling when you're watching something, and you keep waiting for it to get good, and it never does?

missred
11-11-2010, 06:51 PM
Funny stuff! I've always loved Steve Martin's stand-up and music.

jharvey963
11-11-2010, 07:03 PM
I enjoyed this! It was fun, and cleverly written and arranged.

J.

lawoot
11-12-2010, 01:16 AM
You want an Atheist Hymn? Well, you can't go wrong with Emerson, Lake and Palmer's The Only Way (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxW2YuqytDM). It even has Pipe Organ!

Can you believe
God Makes you breathe?
How did He lose
Six MILLION Jews?

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.