PDA

View Full Version : Anybody ever eaten any sort of reptile egg?

Skald the Rhymer
11-12-2010, 01:38 PM
If so, tell me about it.

Bam Boo Gut
11-13-2010, 06:59 PM
Well, it's a common joke here to gather a few lizard eggs together and offer them to someone in the guise of being mints - so several of my friends have at least munched them. They've never looked too happy about it.

MrDibble
11-14-2010, 09:17 AM
Yes, I've eaten crocodile eggs. Pretty much like any other egg, I guess (scrambled, with cream & herbs)

John Mace
11-14-2010, 11:57 AM
Yes, I've eaten crocodile eggs. Pretty much like any other egg, I guess (scrambled, with cream & herbs)

Is that something that is commonly eaten in SA, or was it an unusual thing?

Also, how did you acquire them? Are they sold in stores, or do you have to harvest them in the wild yourself?

Chronos
11-14-2010, 12:30 PM
Do dragons count as reptiles?

Colibri
11-14-2010, 01:11 PM
I've eaten hard-boiled sea turtle eggs (legally harvested here in Panama). They were mostly yolk; I didn't care for them.

Skald the Rhymer
11-14-2010, 01:26 PM
Do dragons count as reptiles?

Of course not. Dragons are dinosaurs, who, while superficially similar to reptiles, of of a different clade. Everybody knows that.

MrDibble
11-15-2010, 04:15 AM
Is that something that is commonly eaten in SA, or was it an unusual thing?
Also, how did you acquire them? Are they sold in stores, or do you have to harvest them in the wild yourself?

Not common, I've only had them the once, but I have several friends who've also eaten them at different times, so not that unusual. They were on the menu at a crocodile farm (along with croc steaks), in Oudtshoorn, the same town where all the ostrich farms are.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.