PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite vampire movie?

Stauderhorse
11-13-2010, 07:09 AM
There have been tons of vampire-centric movies ranging from scary to funny to sparkly ;). But which one is your personal favorite?

Mine is probably Interview with the Vampire. Great acting and atmosphere, interesting story and characters. I absolutely love Lestat, and the way his flippantness contrasts with Louis' angst.

FriarTed
11-13-2010, 07:19 AM
Setting aside anything involving Dracula (including Nosferatu)...

Interview is a FAR superior movie but for sheer scary fun, I almost have to go with The Lost Boys. Of course, right now, my head is really into Let Me In & LTROI.

Dracula-wise, I'd say the Coppola version with the original Nosferatu a close second, tho I really like the 1977 BBC Louis Jourdan production & have a soft spot in my heart for Lugosi's.

River Hippie
11-13-2010, 07:42 AM
Hard to say but maybe Shadow Of The Vampire. (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0189998/)

Darkhold
11-13-2010, 08:00 AM
Hard to say but maybe Shadow Of The Vampire. (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0189998/)That should not be hard to say. That is the creepiest most atmospheric vampire movie that I've seen.

River Hippie
11-13-2010, 08:04 AM
That should not be hard to say. That is the creepiest most atmospheric vampire movie that I've seen.

Hard to pick just one is what I meant to say.

fusoya
11-13-2010, 08:15 AM
Nosferatu. It was all downhill from there. No, I'm not being sarcastic -- it's a great film, one of the few that protrays the vampire as a MONSTER, no more, no less.

Illuminatiprimus
11-13-2010, 08:31 AM
Easily Interview but with "Underworld" in second place (yes it was ultimately an action flick, but I loved the story and plot and it was refreshing to have a film actual present moral complexity rather than simply have good guys and bad guys).

chela
11-13-2010, 08:43 AM
The Hunger with Bowie and Deneuve isn't so bad, but the others mentioned are better.

joyfool
11-13-2010, 09:42 AM
Near Dark

Steophan
11-13-2010, 09:49 AM
Let The Right One In. Followed closely by The Lost Boys and Nosferatu. The latter suffers from some terrible acting, but is still the best version of Dracula. The Coppola version is beautifully filmed, but has nothing to do with the book, and replaces the plot of the original with a trite tragic romance. Interview With The Vampire is slightly closer to the book, but is entirely style over substance.

Candyman74
11-13-2010, 10:06 AM
I didn't like those Anne Rice movies at all.

I agree with the person who said Lost Boys. I enjoyed the recent Let Me In (I haven't seen the Swedish original, which I hear is very good).

Absolutely cannot abide anything which uses that "150 year old vampire attending high school and hanging out with underage girls" approach.

Maastricht
11-13-2010, 10:20 AM
Hmm, tough choice:

Let the right one in (Swedisch version) because it is just so sad.

Interview with the vampire because it is so romantic. Not boy/girl love, but people love. The friendship/marriage of Lestat and Louis lasts for over 80 years!

Bram Stokers Dracula because it is so gothic and no expense spared.

RikWriter
11-13-2010, 10:20 AM
Hard to say but maybe Shadow Of The Vampire. (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0189998/)

I came in here to name that movie. Just an excellent, creepy, well acted film.

blondebear
11-13-2010, 10:24 AM
The Lost Boys

MrDibble
11-13-2010, 11:04 AM
Underworld, for me, for completely lowbrow reasons (Kate. Beckinsale.Leather. Oh, and I like both Sheen and Nighy a lot) and Nosferatu (either the original or the Kinski remake)

Bosda Di'Chi of Tricor
11-13-2010, 11:30 AM
No...sparkles...!

Alessan
11-13-2010, 11:35 AM
I don't like vampires.

I like watching them die, though, so I'm going to say Blade.

AuntiePam
11-13-2010, 11:50 AM
Near Dark

"I hate it when they ain't shaved!" And Lance Henriksen! Great movie.

Interview, Lost Boys, Fright Night and the Frank Langella version, for the setting, romance, music, and Langella -- he was gorgeous.

KneadToKnow
11-13-2010, 12:23 PM
My favorite is Herzog's Nosferatu the Vampyre (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079641/combined), mainly because of Isabelle Adjani.

After that, Shadow of the Vampire and Lugosi's Dracula.

Little Nemo
11-13-2010, 12:34 PM
Near Dark's my favorite.

Daybreakers is an underrated recent great.

Captain Kronos – Vampire Hunter is an underrated classic great.

From Dusk till Dawn, The Hunger, and Underworld are great due to Salma Hayek, Susan Sarandon, and Kate Beckinsale.

drastic_quench
11-13-2010, 12:42 PM
I saw Near Dark a few years ago in a screenwriting class. I never heard of when it came out, so I have say I feel its really underrated.

I don't have a favorite, but I do like Coppola's Dracula from 92. Of course, it has flaws.

Tethered Kite
11-13-2010, 01:23 PM
For pure eye candy I'm partial to Christopher Lee's portrayals in the Hammer films of the Sixties.

The one that left me the most stunned was "Count Yorga, Vampire" which I saw at a drive-in theater in Tacoma, WA in 1971. It was during the time of the development of the antihero which was a new concept for me and the first vampire movie I'd ever seen where the good guys didn't prevail. The ending was horrifying and we drove away in shocked silence.

Yes, historically, the choice would have to be the original "Nosferatu." In the Seventies the teensy public library showed this herky-jerky silent film in Wayne, NE. Surprise. I was the mother of a three-year old and had wanted to see it. In that time the hope of that with the present media the average person could access the chances seemed slim. The only solution was to take daughter along and I questioned whether that wasd the correct thing to do.

So we had a talk. It might frighten you. If so, you need to whisper to Mommy and we'll leave.

We both loved it and still talk about our afternoon. Probably the most exciting thing that happened to us while we lived in NE!

But for my very favorite I'd have to say "Near Dark."

"Good times. . ."

infinitii
11-13-2010, 01:41 PM
Carl Theodor Dreyer's Vampyr and Guy Maddin's Dracula: Pages from a Virgin's Diary.

Capitaine Zombie
11-13-2010, 02:47 PM
Interview with the vampire is the best by very far, but, this thread can not continue without someone mentioning The Fearless Vampire Killers. Which is amazingly both quite scary and quite funny.

Candyman74
11-13-2010, 03:42 PM
Interview with the vampire is the best by very far.

It's truly bizarre how much tastes differ! :D

BrotherCadfael
11-13-2010, 04:59 PM
Nosferatu. It was all downhill from there. No, I'm not being sarcastic -- it's a great film, one of the few that protrays the vampire as a MONSTER, no more, no less.Very good point.

Barking Dog
11-13-2010, 05:37 PM
Nosferatu. It was all downhill from there. No, I'm not being sarcastic -- it's a great film, one of the few that protrays the vampire as a MONSTER, no more, no less.

Although I don't think that it's a particularly great film, I liked 30 Days of Night for this same reason.

detop
11-13-2010, 06:28 PM
Ditto.

I can't understand the love for Coppola's Dracula. To me, it felt and looked like a live action Roadrunner cartoon. It showed a lack of respect to the source material. I'd rather watch one of the old Universal movies with John Carradine as Dracula or even Billy the kid vs Dracula :D

wonky
11-13-2010, 06:37 PM
I'm not much of a vampire-movie watcher, but there's one that had a scene that continues to creep me out to this day. All I remember was a woman, I'm a assuming a vampire woman, standing outside of a house, just staring and staring at the house, while inside a young woman is having difficulty sleeping. Black and white. Ring any bells for anyone? It was very atmospheric and creepy.

Student Driver
11-14-2010, 04:34 AM
Nosferatu (original) > Vampyr > Spanish-language Dracula > Dracula (original) > Dracula's Daughter. As I guess is obvious, I really like the older films.

I do like a lot of the newer films-- the first two Blade films are damn fun, and even Dracula 2000 is an interesting twist on the traditional story (plus it has a topless Vitamin C, which is all that it took to get me into the theater). Coppola's Dracula is good but a bit OTT; kinda reminded me of what would happen if Oliver Stone or Ken Russell did a vampire film. Shadow of the Vampire was interesting, but it came across like big-budget fan fic to me (a problem of my being overly fond (and protective) of the source material, I'm thinking).

I'll admit to a bit of sacrilege: I find the Cushing/Lee Dracula films for Hammer to be dull. I far prefer the alternate Hammer vampire movies that emphasize the erotic aspects: Countess Dracula, The Vampire Lovers, Twins of Evil, etc. I liked the expansion of the traditional vampire story to include Carmilla (Vampyr touched on it, but got lost in Dracula worship) and to more openly explore the subverted sexual themes inherent in vampirism in general. I similarly like Blood and Roses and The Hunger.

While I don't like the current crop of glittery vampires, I can appreciate the twisted sexual angle Ms. Meyer took in her stories. I've read plenty of complaints regarding the unhealthy relationships she portrayed, but I think she hit the nail on the head... that's what vampires are all about.

Red Barchetta
11-14-2010, 05:06 AM
Lost Boys.

gaffa
11-14-2010, 10:46 AM
Innocent Blood (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0104511/) with Anne Parillaud as the sexiest vampire ever to grace the screen and Robert Loggia as one of the scariest.

Tim R. Mortiss
11-14-2010, 11:01 AM
I like most of them, but I'll single out Dracula 2000 and Vampire's Kiss for their unique takes on the genre.

Little Nemo
11-14-2010, 11:18 AM
Another good one that I don't think has been mentioned is George Romero's Martin.

gaffa
11-14-2010, 11:21 AM
Another fun one that I forgot to mention, John Carpenter's Vampires (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120877/). James Woods plays Jack Crow, a profane vampire hunter working for the Catholic Church.

Jack Crow: You ever seen a vampire?
Father Adam Guiteau: No I haven't.
Jack Crow: No... Well first of all, they're not romatic. Its not like they're a bunch of fuckin' fags hoppin' around in rented formal wear and seducing everybody in sight with cheesy Euro-trash accents, all right? Forget whatever you've seen in the movies: they don't turn into bats, crosses don't work. Garlic? You wanna try garlic? You could stand there with garlic around your neck and one of these buggers will bend you fucking over and take a walk up your strada-chocolata WHILE he's suckin' the blood outta your neck, all right? And they don't sleep in coffins lined in taffata. You wanna kill one, you drive a wooden stake right through his fuckin' heart. Sunlight turns 'em into crispy critters.

Soliloquy
11-14-2010, 11:26 AM
Interview with a Vampire is my favorite by far.

I consider Underworld the worst spent two hours of my life ever. Those are two hours of my life that I will never get back and will forever feel like the movie world owes me a debt for.

Biggirl
11-14-2010, 11:31 AM
From Dusk Til Dawn is the funniest vampire movie I've ever seen.

Carlos: So, what, were they psychos, or...
Seth: Did they look like psychos? Is that what they looked like? They were vampires. Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!

Maastricht
11-14-2010, 12:10 PM
Although I don't think that it's a particularly great film, I liked 30 Days of Night for this same reason.Ooh! I forgot that one. (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0389722/) For those who don't know it, it has a cool premise: After an Alaskan town is plunged into darkness for a month, it is attacked by a bloodthirsty gang of vampires. A band of murderous vampires come to a little town so far up North that the night there, lasts a month. The people in the village can't run anywhere, and have to hide and somehow survive that month. No sparkles or romance anywhere in that movie.

mbh
11-14-2010, 06:29 PM
Innocent Blood (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0104511/) with Anne Parillaud as the sexiest vampire ever to grace the screen and Robert Loggia as one of the scariest.

And Don Rickles as one of the funniest.

History Geek
11-14-2010, 08:24 PM
No love for Jesus Christ: Vampire Hunter? :D

John Carpenter's Vampire$ is a good one, as is From Dusk 'Til Dawn. Shadow of the Vampire was awesome.

The best though? Coppola's Dracula: it was the first I'd seen, having read Stoker's novel, and I was pleased it did so well at keeping to the story. The acting was generally crap (except Sir Anthony Hopkins as Van Helsing... I'd have loved to see HIM in a stand-alone Van Helsing flick instead of that pile of crap that Hugh Jackman was in...), but visuals were good and it gets really big points for staying to the novel. Plus, it had Winona Ryder in it.

TPWombat
11-15-2010, 04:14 AM
I still love the 1985 Fright Night. (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089175/combined) Roddy McDowall as a washed-up actor now presenting the friday night TV horror film double bill. Kid comes to him because he thinks his new neighbour is a vampire.

Also Chan-Wook Park's (Oldboy, Landy Vengeance) Thirst (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0762073/combined). Priest who has lost his faith volunteers for a dangerous medical experiment and becomes a vampire. Then a young woman in an abusive arranged marriage falls for him. Hilarious and sweet. Warning - contains slurping noises.

And I second John Carpenter's Vampires.

kushiel
11-15-2010, 12:25 PM
Well, I'll be the first to jump on the anime bandwagon: both Vampire Hunter D movies are fantastic, but Bloodlust gets my vote for the detail in the animation.

MyFootsZZZ
11-15-2010, 12:52 PM

Agreed. It's a movie that actually gave me nighmares as an adult. The only other movie to do that was Eraserhead.

Maus Magill
11-15-2010, 01:30 PM
Fright Night
Lost Boys
John Carpenter's Vampires.

It's better when the vampires are the bad guys.

Mrs. Cake
11-15-2010, 01:59 PM
I thought I might be the first with Innocent Blood - gangsters and vampires! Clearly I was too slow.

And Lost Boys, which is the only vampire movie I own.

ThelmaLou
11-15-2010, 02:28 PM
The BEST one is the 1979 Dracula with Frank Langella. Geez... that man was so freakin' sexy.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079073/

My fav quote, said to Lucy in a sweet, soft, pensive, seductive voice:
If, at any time, my company does not please you, you
will have only yourself to blame for an acquaintance who seldom
forces himself but is difficult to be rid of.

<sigh>

If you like this genre and haven't seen this one, give it a look.

StusBlues
11-15-2010, 02:40 PM
Let the Right One In. It's very reminicent My Life as a Dog in places--alienated boy, confused pre-adolescent sexuality, lots of silence and spaces within (what I find) confusing social mores. More relevant to the topic, it also does a good job of taking familiar motifs--the master/Renfield relationship, the vampire's great treasure, the problem of eternal youth, the vampire's love of puzzles and need for an invitation--and turns them on their ear. It's a thorough deconstruction of everything familiar about vampire film and literature, set in a film mileux familiar to fans of foreign cinema.

I saw this at the local art theater when it came out. I walked out with my fists in the air, my heart filled with joy at having finally found the film that dared raise everything I loved about the genre to a plateau of high art. This, I thought, was a triumph, the greatest vampire film since Murnau. At last, a vampire film that I could champion with all my strength and breath.

Then I looked around me at my fellow patrons exiting the building. Everyone else was staring straight ahead, thoroughly freaked out.

Not sure what that says about me.

Daniel Shug
11-15-2010, 04:07 PM
Lots of good mentions!!!

While most(if not all) of these were far better produced, I still gotta say my Favorite is 'Salem's Lot, the original made-for-TV movie from 1979.

This was my first scary movie that the baby-sitter let me stay up and watch with her when it first aired and set the course for my movie preferences the rest of my thus-far life. The images of the Glick brothers with their glowing eyes, and all the vampires crawling out of the darkness at the end still hold up, IMHO.

Bosstone
11-15-2010, 04:10 PM
Blade.

Yeah, I'm lowbrow.

jjimm
11-15-2010, 04:15 PM
Let the right one in (Swedisch version) because it is just so sad. This, followed by Interview With The Vampire.

I would love, love, love someone to make a decent version of the Bram Stoker Dracula. The Coppola one was ruined by several liberties with the story and Keanu Reeves's atrocious acting/accent.

Spoke
11-15-2010, 04:41 PM
While most(if not all) of these were far better produced, I still gotta say my Favorite is 'Salem's Lot, the original made-for-TV movie from 1979.

I'm sitting here trying to think of a better vampire movie, and I can't. Yeah, it stars goofy-ass David Soul, and yeah, the production values are crap, but that was still the scariest damned vampire ever invented (http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/3159/salemslotwallsb6.jpg). (Yeah, yeah, I know it's based on Nosferatu. It's better.)

Really, thinking about the OP's question, it's disappointing that there aren't more truly scary vampire movies.

Other decent vampire movies:

Let the Right One In
Fright Night
Interview with the Vampire
Near Dark

Still, it seems that the perfect vampire movie is yet to be made. I agree with jjimm that a well-made version of Bram Stoker's Dracula could be great.

Left Hand of Dorkness
11-15-2010, 05:02 PM
Wow, it's rare I get to add something new to a thread like this!

My favorite is Let the Right One In, and two of my least favorites are Interview and John Carpenter's.

But my second favorite hasn't been mentioned so far: Guillermo del Toro's Cronos (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0104029/). It's the best vampire-grandfather-with-a-loving-granddaughter story ever told, and it's full of vintage del Toro tastiness.

JohnT
11-15-2010, 05:17 PM
Probably Shadow of the Vampire, but as a college student I watched Nicholas Cage ham it up in Vampire's Kiss while on psychedelics and I've never forgotten the experience.

StusBlues
11-16-2010, 09:49 AM
Still, it seems that the perfect vampire movie is yet to be made. I agree with jjimm that a well-made version of Bram Stoker's Dracula could be great.

The BBC version with Louis Jordan (who is surprisingly effective) might be up your alley. It's pretty well devoid of cinematic flourish--it's shot on tape, mostly on stock sets--but the acting and execution of the script are outstanding.

FasterThanMeerkats
11-16-2010, 10:19 AM
Let the right one in (Swedisch version) because it is just so sad.

Stumbled on this one; it's fantastic, especially the closing scene.:)

I'm dreading the American version. It's unnecessary and they'll probably screw it up.:(

gaffa
11-16-2010, 10:45 AM
Stumbled on this one; it's fantastic, especially the closing scene.:)

I'm dreading the American version. It's unnecessary and they'll probably screw it up.:(
Having seen both, I can tell you they did not screw it up at all.

control-z
11-16-2010, 11:13 AM
Bram Stoker's Dracula would be my pick. With an honorable mention to John Carpenter's Vampires. I like the matter-of-fact brutality of the vampire-killing crew. And that master vampire is a scary dude.

Spoke
11-16-2010, 08:24 PM
The BBC version with Louis Jordan (who is surprisingly effective) might be up your alley. It's pretty well devoid of cinematic flourish--it's shot on tape, mostly on stock sets--but the acting and execution of the script are outstanding.

Thanks. I'll seek it out.

To my way of thinking, an ideal version of Bram Stoker's Dracula would bring the quiet creepiness and building terror of The Ring.

control-z
11-16-2010, 08:34 PM

Watched this on Netflix just now. Great movie, a mix of vampires and Italian mafia.

Apollyon
11-16-2010, 09:05 PM
Lost Boys.

But the various opinions are reminding me just how many vampire movies I have. :)

BTW, there's one I cannot recall the name of, all I recollect is a group of young guys in a car that spins out in the middle of an intersection and they end up in the dark-side of town somehow... a vampire getting (ineffectively) stabbed with formica is also floating around in the morass I call a memory... anyone care to name it?

StusBlues
11-17-2010, 09:11 AM
Lost Boys.

But the various opinions are reminding me just how many vampire movies I have. :)

BTW, there's one I cannot recall the name of, all I recollect is a group of young guys in a car that spins out in the middle of an intersection and they end up in the dark-side of town somehow... a vampire getting (ineffectively) stabbed with formica is also floating around in the morass I call a memory... anyone care to name it?

I believe that would be Vamp (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vamp_(film)), one of a string of 1980s films based on the untenable premise that Grace Jones was sexy.

Alka Seltzer
11-17-2010, 09:19 AM
Shadow of the Vampire for me. "Much as a I hate to admit it, the writer is necessary".

control-z
11-17-2010, 09:21 AM
I believe that would be Vamp (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vamp_(film)), one of a string of 1980s films based on the untenable premise that Grace Jones was sexy.

I think she is, except for her face and that haircut the usually had.

xanthous
11-17-2010, 09:29 AM
Also Chan-Wook Park's (Oldboy, Landy Vengeance) Thirst (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0762073/combined). Priest who has lost his faith volunteers for a dangerous medical experiment and becomes a vampire. Then a young woman in an abusive arranged marriage falls for him. Hilarious and sweet. Warning - contains slurping noises.

I was going to mention this movie. Although I though the girl was lying about the abusive marriage and making it look abusive when actually it wasn't- kind of making her the bad guy in how the story played out....

Ditto for the Herzog movie. Plus, if I remember correctly, a piece of music in that movie is also in one of my favorite Kate bush songs.

Apollyon
11-17-2010, 05:31 PM
I believe that would be Vamp (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vamp_(film)), one of a string of 1980s films based on the untenable premise that Grace Jones was sexy.That looks like the one, thank you! Weird, I have no memory of Grace Jones in it... and yet... mmmm..... might have to go find that one on disc. :)

armedmonkey
11-18-2010, 10:36 AM
I saw Let the Right One In last night. It is now my favorite vampire film, hands down.

I hate subtitles, but I loved that film. Eli wasn't some candy coated vampire that was full of angst or even regreted killing and feeding - she's a monster. But she wasn't cartoonish evil; her motives were simple survival. A lonely predator that must prey on humans.

StusBlues
11-18-2010, 10:36 AM
That looks like the one, thank you! Weird, I have no memory of Grace Jones in it... and yet... mmmm..... might have to go find that one on disc. :)

She's wearing full-body makeup through most of her scenes, so she's not immediately recognizable.

I wouldn't call Vamp a good movie, but it's worth seeking out for a look.

Dr. Rieux
11-18-2010, 02:23 PM
I'm old school, so I prefer the 1931 Tod Browning/Bela Lugosi classic.
It's sequel, Dracula's Daughter, is really good, too.

Apollyon
11-18-2010, 03:24 PM
She's wearing full-body makeup through most of her scenes, so she's not immediately recognizable.Yeah, that may be why I couldn't remember Grace Jones, but I suspect it was two movies getting scrambled in my head -- I had this idea that Vamp had a rather more... errr... luscious female vampire, but I think now that I was getting confused with Lauren Hutton, the vampire lead in Once Bitten which came out the year before.

Took me a while to remember and find details for Once Bitten, and I had no recollection of a young Jim Carrey starring in it... as the only thing I could clearly remember was a particular exchange between his girlfriend and the vampire:

Robin (the ingénue and our hero's girlfriend) to the Countess (sexy vampiress): "Mark doesn't want you because you're mean and evil. He wants me because I am nice and sweet and pure, so *fuck off!*". :D

Spoke
11-18-2010, 11:08 PM
Just got back from seeing Let Me In (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1228987/), the American remake of Let the Right One In (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1139797/), and I have to say they did a really nice job with it. They even made, IMHO, an improvement over the book and the previous movie by...

...spelling out pretty clearly that the older man who is traveling with the vampire had been with her since he was a kid himself...and thus that the protagonist, Owen, is in danger of falling into the same trap.

Which adds a nice tragic element to the plot.

Kind of odd to set the movie in Los Alamos, I thought. I would have expected a more northerly spot. But at least they did keep the wintry feel of the original.

Anyway, I would add Let Me In (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1228987/) to my (very short) list of good vampire movies.

kelly5078
11-18-2010, 11:30 PM
Mostly I find vampire movies to be borefests, but the original "Nosferatu" is a fine horror flick.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.