PDA

View Full Version : Ice In Drinks: US vs Non-US Doper Difference?

DMark
11-14-2010, 10:19 PM
We have an ice machine in our fridge and, no matter winter or summer, we fill our glasses with ice before pouring in any cold drink (water and cola mostly).

Just doesn't taste the same without a glass half full of ice.

However, I know when living in Europe, few if any put ice in their drinks if the drink was already cold, and there was even an old wives' tale that too much ice in drinks will ruin your stomach. To which I answered, "Then most Americans have no stomach lining left..."

So, do you put just a few cubes, a whole lot of ice or no ice in your cold drinks?

Johnny L.A.
11-14-2010, 10:22 PM
U.S.: I rarely use ice.

Ephemera
11-14-2010, 10:27 PM
US. I hate ice.

DCnDC
11-14-2010, 10:30 PM
US. Have large cup I fill to very top with ice. I like my drinks head-freezing cold.

Bosstone
11-14-2010, 10:41 PM
I almost never put ice in my drinks, but most of my drinks are either from the fridge or from a soda fountain. Fountain soda is actually pretty cold to begin with, and leaving out ice ensures it won't water down, plus there's that much more room for liquid.

ETA: Sorry, US Doper. Arizona, in fact, where ice is used by 99% of the population all year round.

twickster
11-14-2010, 10:45 PM
US, no ice.

Hilarity N. Suze
11-14-2010, 10:51 PM
I almost never put ice in my drinks and, when ordering in a restaurant, ask for it to be left out. People told me, "Oh, you'll love Europe, impossible to get a drink with ice in it."

But i didn't find that to be the case. They seemed to have the same ice rules as the US (at least in France, Germany, Italy, Switzerland, Spain). Or, anyway, at least on a couple of occasions I had to request no ice. Although I supposed if it most generally came according to my preference (no ice) I probably wouldn't have noticed.

DoctorJ
11-14-2010, 11:04 PM
US Doper; I always use ice in sodas or water if I can.

But i didn't find that to be the case. They seemed to have the same ice rules as the US (at least in France, Germany, Italy, Switzerland, Spain). Or, anyway, at least on a couple of occasions I had to request no ice. Although I supposed if it most generally came according to my preference (no ice) I probably wouldn't have noticed.
When I was in Italy in 2001, I went to two different restaurants in Rome that didn't even have ice available when I asked for it. After that, I stopped asking out of fear of looking like an idiot. The next week I happened to be walking past a McDonalds in 90 degree heat when I suddenly had a craving for a Diet Coke iced down American-style, so I went to get one; my drink had one large ice cube in it.

kenobi 65
11-14-2010, 11:11 PM
U.S.; I only use ice for my own drinks if the beverage isn't already cold (as a rule, we store the soda in the fridge, so it's usually cold enough). At restaurants, I don't typically ask for "no ice" because I don't know if it'll be cold without the ice.

My wife, OTOH, *always* wants to have ice in her soda or water.

Cat Whisperer
11-14-2010, 11:14 PM
Canada - I'm no fan of ice (it bothers my sensitive teeth, and it waters down the drinks, and I can't be arsed to fill ice trays). Ice is usually in my drinks when I eat out, though, and I could live without that (especially if there's no straw - I hate the ice shifting as I drink and I get my drink all over my face and shirt).

etv78
11-14-2010, 11:24 PM
US, only use ice if I haven't put the soda in the fridge yet.

Kyla
US, no ice.

Freudian Slit
American and I don't usually--mostly out of laziness. Plus if it's already cold, there doesn't seem to be a reason. Plus, the whole watering down the drink is an issue, too.

panache45
11-14-2010, 11:36 PM
U.S. Always ice.

PeskiPiksi
11-15-2010, 12:02 AM
U.S. I love my ice, especially with water.

When traveling in Mexico, London, and Amsterdam I found if I wanted more than one or two cubes of ice in my "ice water," I actually had to order a glass of water, and a separate glass of ice.

Smapti
11-15-2010, 12:16 AM
American. I take my soft drinks without ice and my alcoholic drinks with lots of ice.

GuanoLad
11-15-2010, 12:47 AM
Ice waters it down. Yuck. But I never remember to ask for no ice. Not American, but also not alcohol.

PSXer
11-15-2010, 02:24 AM
american. don't like ice. never put it in my own drinks, but never ask for no ice

Quartz
11-15-2010, 02:26 AM
I always thought putting ice in drinks was a way for the bar to save money because they filled the glass with less lemonade or whatever.

An Gadaí
11-15-2010, 02:27 AM
Ireland: The more ice the better, but it's a habit I picked up in the US.

OpalCat
We don't store our soda in the fridge, so I use ice on the rare times I drink soda, or for when I make alcoholic drinks (usually a ____ & Coke). I actually LIKE that it waters down soda because otherwise they're too carbonated for them to be comfortable to me. I don't put ice in my water because we have cold water in the door of the fridge.

Robot Arm
U.S. No ice, please.

Aspidistra
11-15-2010, 02:54 AM
Non-US - only when it's hot.

So when I was living in Scotland I didn't even own an ice tray...

Kal
11-15-2010, 03:13 AM
UK - at home I rarely use ice as such, but do have a habit of plonking bottles or cans of drink in the freezer for about an hour before opening them. When out, I usually have ice.

Olentzero
11-15-2010, 03:24 AM
US expatriate. No ice, primarily for the watering down factor. Do get it occasionally when ordering a soft drink with dinner (actually only at one bar I can think of, and that's with a bottled drink). Started doing that years ago back in the States, so my current European sojourn has nothing to do with it.

Miller
11-15-2010, 03:33 AM
US, here. Almost always put ice in my drinks.

Martini Enfield
11-15-2010, 03:34 AM
Non-American; Ice is only for spirits or mixed alcoholic drinks and when I've forgotten to put the soft drink in the fridge.

BigT
11-15-2010, 03:36 AM
I don't like iece.Yes, the drink is colder if you put ice in it, but it gets watered down way too quickly. Only drinks that are essentially water anyways get a pass.

I'm the only one in my family, or the only person I've met, who does not like ice in their drinks, though. Well, at least, I'm the only one who cares enough to always order things without ice.

Ellis Dee
11-15-2010, 03:44 AM
At home, for water, soda, and mixed drinks (booze) I fill the glass to the top with ice, give it a few good shakes to let the ice settle a bit and then put more ice in until it's full to the top again.

Mostly I drink water, so this technique ends giving me a time-release beverage of cold water. I usually don't refill until the glass is completely empty, meaning all the ice melted and got drank.

I find soda too strong, so the ice helps to cut it, and I like my booze strong, so all the ice helps to limit the mixer.

don't ask
11-15-2010, 04:25 AM
Aussie. I never add ice to drinks. If I order a bourbon and coke I have it without ice. Extra cold just leeches flavor out of things.

Nava
11-15-2010, 04:47 AM
Spain. I like my soda cold but I dislike the watering-down; I have both a freezable mug and plastic "ice cubes", so at home I may use that mug or pop one non-watering-down cube but it's a "may", I only do it if part of my reason to have that drink is "I need to cool down"; in bars, I prefer places which use one or two ice cubes tops and have been known to tell the people in McD's "if it isn't against corporate policy, I'd like my Coke to have more Coke than ice, please" - they usually respond by laughing, nodding and giving me a Coke which actually manages to taste like Coke (Spanish fast food places now have the icemakers that pop lots of little cubes, instead of the old huge cubes).

aruvqan
11-15-2010, 05:03 AM
US - if I could tap an iceberg and have it always magically appear in my glass in small chunks I would.

My favorite beverage is water from my well in a glass full to the brim of ice. My well water tastes amazingly clear - it comes through 175 feet of limestone and granite.

nonacetone
11-15-2010, 06:01 AM
US. I use ice, and lots of it. When my husband makes me a glass of iced tea, he always says, "Ok. You want that with a lot of ice, and a little tea, right?"
Hells bells, I even put ice in my wretched (I don't like milk) milk. I refuse to drink milk (or even chocolate milk) without ice.

The Other Waldo Pepper
11-15-2010, 06:21 AM
US - no ice unless I'm drinking water.

Biggirl
11-15-2010, 06:27 AM
US. Ice if possible. I even put two cubes in my milk.

Mops
11-15-2010, 06:55 AM
Germany, no ice. I like my cold drinks refrigerator-cold but not ice-cold.

hogarth
11-15-2010, 07:08 AM
Canada, don't care for ice. I used to ask for "Coke, no ice" at McDonalds; now I just don't order soda at fast food restaurants at all. I've even gotten used to drinking canned soda at room temperature.

But I'm still not as anti-ice as some of my Chinese friends who make a point of always refusing ice when they get water at a restaurant. They believe that cold drinks are bad for your health.

Student Driver
11-15-2010, 07:22 AM
American, don't use ice at home; I don't own ice cube trays, nor have an ice maker, nor buy bags of ice. I do put a little bit of ice in self-serve fountain drinks, since fountain drinks are often tepid or slightly cooled, and don't bother requesting "no ice" at restaurants, since they're usually serving soda from a fountain or water from a tap.

I'd think Americans would be okay with no ice more often; we consume single-serving containers of drinks all the time (cans, PET bottles, etc.) that are easily chilled but not easily iced.

Martini Enfield
11-15-2010, 07:29 AM
But I'm still not as anti-ice as some of my Chinese friends who make a point of always refusing ice when they get water at a restaurant. They believe that cold drinks are bad for your health.

Some of my Asian friends tell me they prefer their drinks without ice because, growing up, it wasn't generally safe to drink the tapwater and that's what icecubes were made of.

Pai325
11-15-2010, 07:32 AM
US - lots of ice.

RikWriter
11-15-2010, 07:33 AM
US. I use crushed ice in my soda unless I am drinking it from the can/bottle. I always get ice from fountains in convenience stores or when I am in a restaurant.

Sigmagirl
11-15-2010, 08:06 AM
I use no ice at home. There hasn't been ice in our freezer for years; if we're having a party, we buy ice. If I'm out, I remember to ask for very little ice, because it hurts my teeth.

dwc1970
11-15-2010, 09:28 AM
United States- I'm an iceaholic. Winter or summer, I gotta have my ice. If I fill it myself and can get free refills I fill it with ice all the way to the top (otherwise I fill it about halfway, such as in cases where I will be on the go and unable to get a refill). What I hate is when I order a drink and they only put a little bit of ice in it. A small volume of ice, especially crushed ice, melts too fast and I don't get the icy texture that I enjoy having in a drink. I usually drink the contents fairly quickly, so melting and dilution aren't usually a concern with enough ice to maintain a near-freezing temperature. Once I've enjoyed the soda content I like to munch on the ice.

JohnT
11-15-2010, 09:44 AM
US: I use ice. Drives my wife crazy 'cause I shake the glass so the cubes won't refreeze back together in one big clump.

Giles
11-15-2010, 09:49 AM
Australian living in the U.S.: I like a lot of ice in a glass of water.

irishgirl
11-15-2010, 09:57 AM
I'm not a big fan of ice in non-alcoholic drinks.
If I'm having Coca-cola, fruit juice or milk it will be from the fridge, so doesn't need ice. I'm fine with tap water or bottled water from the fridge without ice.
If tap water is straight from a tap, I'd probably ask for ice.

It's not that I like room temperature drinks, I just don't see the need for ICE COLD drinks- cool or cold is fine.

I'm fine with warm ale and neat whiskey but I like an ice-cold G&T, Martini or rum & coke. Cheap beer and cider are almost always improved with ice.

Location- 3 guesses.

Dahnlor
11-15-2010, 10:00 AM
US: At home, I only use ice if the drink isn't already cold, but that is mainly because I'm too lazy to break out the ice trays. At restaurants, I happily accept however much ice they give me, and when operating a soda fountain I always add some ice.

Acsenray
11-15-2010, 10:43 AM
American -- If the drink is already cold, I don't use ice. If it's not cold, I want just enough ice to cool it, but not so much that taking a swig will require manoeuvring around the ice. And I don't like a drink to be diluted by melted ice, so I'm willing to use more ice in water than in other drinks.

In restaurants, I always ask for water without ice, because I drink a lot of water with meals, and having ice in the glass requires more frequent refilling. The water I drink with a meal need not be cold. Tap-cool is fine with me.

awldune
11-15-2010, 10:57 AM
People who talk about watering down are not using enough ice. It seems counterintuitive but you get less melt if you include more ice.

US, love ice.

On a trip to Maine and New Brunswick I found it was very tough to get ice up there.

Acsenray
11-15-2010, 10:58 AM
People who talk about watering down are not using enough ice. It seems counterintuitive but you get less melt if you include more ice.

Then you end up with too much ice and not enough beverage.

Bridget Burke
11-15-2010, 11:03 AM
Drinks that are already cold won't water down much, either. The ice just keeps them cold.

I like ice in most cold drinks--especially when the weather is hot. In Houston, that's most of the time.

Tamerlane
11-15-2010, 11:07 AM
US. I'm a switch-hitter. I rarely use ice at home except in the occasional mixed drinks, but am just fine with its ubiquity when eating out. I'm perfectly fine drinking most sodas warm ( or cold ), so that's not an issue. The only time I crave it is occasionally in a big tumbler of water, but even that isn't consistent. Booze is just as variable, really.

Chimera
11-15-2010, 11:31 AM
I like a little Cherry Coke with my ice.

I fill my 16oz mug to the top with ice, then pour in about half the can of coke. Drink most of it, pour in more coke. Add ice as necessary. But the other side of it for me is that it kills most of the carbonation (straight out of the can is too harsh for me) but leaves a nice amount, AND it waters it down a bit, which is just fine by me.

I remember back in 1986 when I walked into a bar in London (I don't get to travel much) and asked for a coke. I got it room temp, no ice. I asked for some ice. Bartender looked at me strange and went on about how it will water it down and how cold drinks are bad for the stomach. I said a> I don't mind watering it down I just want it ice cold, and b> then I suppose buying ice cream in the park was a bad idea on a hot day, eh? To my suprise, he said YES, it was bad to eat ice cream on a hot day.

Silly stupid limey bastard. ;)

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.