PDA

View Full Version : Can you listen to AM radio anymore?

installLSC
11-15-2010, 02:29 AM
I was discussing baseball games on the radio last week when a coworker said she hated AM radio and couldn't listen to it. She's only 28 (I'm 35). I grew up listening to country music on AM radio, and still listen to sports and news on the AM dial. The limitations of AM I'm used to and don't faze me, but I can understand why younger listeners can't stand the static and compression. Can you listen to AM or is its sound quality too much of a turnoff?

Tangent
11-15-2010, 02:43 AM
I listen to AM all the time, but I only listen to news, sports, and talk radio.

multimediac17
11-15-2010, 02:44 AM
My parents have an alarm clock that only has AM radio (I don't remember them ever having a different clock) and they wake up to an "oldies" station which plays music mainly from the 60s, and the combination of AM radio playing the Beatles every third song and the ancient alarm clock means that every time I hear it, it's like I have been transported back in time to the actual sixties. It's kinda cool, really.

PSXer
11-15-2010, 02:45 AM
yes

damn kids these days are spoiled

Leiko
11-15-2010, 03:00 AM
I'm 22 and I listen to AM radio when it's baseball season (although with Dave Niehaus gone it's gonna be weird) and for oldies music in the car when I'm bored with whatever CDs I've got with me. The only time the limitations of AM radio bug me is when I drive under certain styles of traffic lights and the signal cuts out. I like the occasional static.

DMark
11-15-2010, 03:22 AM
The only time I listen to AM radio is during election night when driving home and I can hear results - that means about every two years, on one day, for about 20 minutes if I happen to be in the car on the drive home in the evening and want to hear how the East Coast voted.
I guess that means "no" for me.

KarlGrenze
11-15-2010, 06:55 AM
Perhaps she dislikes AM because all they play in those stations is news and sports, and she likes neither of them?

I don't listen to AM because of that. Although, when I lived in Baton Rouge, there was a New Orleans AM Latin music station that I could get on my radio. So I listened to that AM station because of the music.

I grew up listening to AM radio news. Now, when I'm driving my parents, I explicitly forbid them from tuning into any AM station.

twickster
11-15-2010, 07:46 AM
My clock radio is set to the AM all-news station, so, yeah, I guess I can.

Jackmannii
11-15-2010, 08:41 AM
I still listen to news/talk on AM stations, especially at night to pick up 50 thousand-watters on skywave and find out what's happening in distant cities.

I can't believe the cellphone generation is all bent out of shape about occasional static (which isn't generally a problem for AM stations close to you).

Not a Platypus
11-15-2010, 09:07 AM
I'm younger than your coworker and one of my favorite stations is an AM station. There aren't many I can really pick up, however. Most of them have so much static that you can barely make out what's being said.

Paintcharge
11-15-2010, 10:25 AM
ESPN and whatever they're now calling Air America are what I primarily listen to in the car.

blondebear
11-15-2010, 10:33 AM
I listen to AM talk radio all the time. The sound quality doesn't bother me at all.

Gagundathar
11-15-2010, 10:50 AM
I listen to AM sports talk on the way home from the lab.
I switch from one station to another at about the midway point because of signal drop-off.
Of course, this time of the year, the Atlanta station drops off quickly since the transmitter cuts wattage at sunset. So, then it is NPR. On FM, natch.

Purd Werfect
11-15-2010, 11:01 AM
In the car, I listen exclusively to sports, news, or talk on AM. One of my favorite thing about road trips is hearing new stations I don't normally get to hear. I also like driving late at night and picking up AM stations from a few states away.

Leaffan
11-15-2010, 11:07 AM
I'm also an exclusive AM radio listener in the car. I love talk radio.

It's FM radio I can't listen to any more. My daughter will put on her stations, and I have to put up with Lady Gaga, Justin Bieber, M&M, and others whose names I don't know. The occasional time I flip to one of my stations I get "Stairway to Heaven," "Another Brick in the Wall," "Start Me Up," "Fly Like An Eagle," "Hotel California" and I just shake my head and flip back to the news.

Ahhhh.......

JohnT
11-15-2010, 11:09 AM
I was discussing baseball games on the radio last week when a coworker said she hated AM radio and couldn't listen to it. She's only 28 (I'm 35). I grew up listening to country music on AM radio, and still listen to sports and news on the AM dial. The limitations of AM I'm used to and don't faze me, but I can understand why younger listeners can't stand the static and compression. Can you listen to AM or is its sound quality too much of a turnoff?

I don't have a problem with listening to AM radio.

kenobi 65
11-15-2010, 11:09 AM
Yes, but only for news or sports. The last time I can remember listening to music on AM radio was in the middle of nowhere in New Mexico (Chaco Culture National Historical Park (http://www.nps.gov/chcu/index.htm))in 2003. While I was sitting in the parking lot, waiting for my wife to get done in the gift shop, I turned on the radio, and started hunting around for a signal -- that far in the sticks, AM was going to be the only thing that would come in. I found a station playing Johnny Cash...after the song ended, the DJ mentioned that Cash has passed away earlier that day.

Listening to music (or not) on AM is, in part, a decision that's been made for many listeners, years ago. Most AM stations (at least in bigger markets) don't have a popular-music format anymore. You find a lot of talk on AM now, as well as some more niche music formats (ethnic, oldies, etc.).

LonesomePolecat
11-15-2010, 11:17 AM
Living in the Atlanta area, I listen to the news on WSB in the shower and on the way to work in the morning. On the way home I listen to tapes, to NPR on FM or to WMLB 1690 AM, “the Voice of the Arts” (shameless plug). They play a wide range of music such as old rock n’ roll, old jazz & blues, old country, folk & ethnic music, cutting edge rock, and so forth. I don’t care much about sound quality as long as it isn’t absolutely terrible. I used to listen to all the old stuff on AM car radios and cheap record players back when I was a kid, and I enjoyed them, so why should it be any different than today?

I can't stand talk radio.

ZipperJJ
11-15-2010, 11:21 AM
I listen to baseball on the AM radio every night during baseball season, including the post-game show. I'm 31. We've got a great, powerful AM station here WTAM 1100 so I've never had a problem with reception. My ears aren't good enough to care about the compression or whatever.

That being said, I cannot listen to the station one minute before pre-game or one minute after because the non-baseball programming makes me want to die.

I have no idea what goes on on the rest of the AM dial here in Cleveland. I'm too scared to look.

suranyi
11-15-2010, 11:26 AM
As someone else said, my clock radio is set to the local AM news station, so I wake up with the latest news.

I also listen to talk radio on AM sometimes. We are lucky in that not all the talk radio hosts here are right-wingers. Is that true in most other places?

ratmanizhere
11-15-2010, 11:31 AM
On weekends that I work, I listen to a local AM station that is a call-in political show.
Our very local AM station has a daily " classified ads " around midday for local listeners to buy and sell things.

AuntiePam
11-15-2010, 12:17 PM
The radio's always tuned to NPR, on FM, but sometimes I switch to AM if the person talking is hard to hear -- the AM signal is clearer. I also like AM if we're expecting thunderstorms -- the static is an early warning system.

control-z
11-15-2010, 12:53 PM
I could never listen to AM. Quality is too low, and too much static.

NDP
11-15-2010, 02:21 PM
I still occasionally listen to AM radio but, like nearly everyone else in this thread, only for news, talk radio, sports, and sports talk.

On a related note, does anybody live someplace where there are still AM radio stations that almost exclusively play music (not counting AM stations that simulcast with their FM sister stations)? Where I am (the Spokane-Coeur d' Alene Market) there's at least one.

I'm 22 and I listen to AM radio when it's baseball season (although with Dave Niehaus gone it's gonna be weird)...

Sorry about the theadjack but tell me about it. Niehaus' passing is just the cap for what had turned out to be a very sucky year for the Mariners. About the only bad thing left that can happen is if for some misfortune to befall Ichiro and/or Felix Hernandez.

installLSC
11-15-2010, 02:30 PM
On a related note, does anybody live someplace where there are still AM radio stations that almost exclusively play music (not counting AM stations that simulcast with their FM sister stations)? Where I am (the Spokane-Coeur d' Alene Market) there's at least one.
In the Puget Sound area there a few. 880 AM has long played adult standards, 1250 AM is a Radio Disney affiliate (why a kid's station is on AM puzzles me), and you can just barely get 660 AM (country), 680 AM (some weird station that plays only big band and earlier music), and 1030 (oldies). 570 AM just switched from conservative talk to oldies, and there are Spanish and Korean stations too.
The funny thing is if I remember hearing a song mostly on AM (like old country songs), when I hear it on FM it sounds weird--like somebody threw a ton of overdubs on it.

aceplace57
11-15-2010, 02:37 PM
I often listen to the Grand Ole Opry on WSM AM 650. I use a restored tube radio I got from my grandmother. Members of my family have listened to the Opry on this radio since it was purchased in 1948. I like the connection to my family's traditions.

Local AM here is all Talk radio and Sports. No oldies music. So, my AM listening is restricted to Saturday nights and WSM.

Beware of Doug
11-15-2010, 02:38 PM
I rarely tune away from WOI-AM (Iowa Public Radio News Stream (http://iowapublicradio.org/programSchedules.php)) except to get an Iowa State game on KASI-AM (games simulcast on Q105-FM) or stringy-baroquey music on WOI-FM (IPR News+Classical (http://iowapublicradio.org/programSchedules.php) Stream).

As a vintage music enthusiast who was weaned on 78s, I know AM just takes a different set of ears. If I've just tuned from FM, it sounds a bit boxy, but the sensation passes as soon as I get into the program.

tumbleddown
11-15-2010, 03:26 PM
I don't even listen to FM, I listen to XM.

Though, if I have to listen to terrestrial radio (in a rental car or whatever) I listen to the local NPR-and-jazz station, which is on the FM. I rarely if ever put on AM, in fact, I don't even have any AM presets on my car, and I've owned it nearly two years.

Sir T-Cups
11-15-2010, 03:28 PM
I'm a rare individual who cares very very little for music in general...so I only listen to AM radio.

Always ESPN.

LonesomePolecat
11-15-2010, 03:40 PM
On a related note, does anybody live someplace where there are still AM radio stations that almost exclusively play music (not counting AM stations that simulcast with their FM sister stations)? Where I am (the Spokane-Coeur d' Alene Market) there's at least one. Well, I've already mentioned WMLB in Atlanta which plays a very eclectic mix of music. There are other AM stations that play music in the Atlanta area, generally gospel or Latin music. Religious stations will often play Christian rock/pop between other programming to fill up air time.

Rhiannon8404
11-15-2010, 04:06 PM
Only for the Giants games on KNBR.

Jackmannii
11-15-2010, 04:50 PM
I often listen to the Grand Ole Opry on WSM AM 650. I use a restored tube radio I got from my grandmother. Members of my family have listened to the Opry on this radio since it was purchased in 1948. I like the connection to my family's traditions.I tell you, for real authenticity there's nothing like a crystal set for tuning in them wireless radio waves.

Omniscient
11-15-2010, 05:07 PM
It's about content not quantity. AM is for talk, FM is for music and I dislike when stations defy the norm there.

antonio107
11-15-2010, 06:13 PM
I'm 24. I used to listen to the oldies station on the AM radio all the time. I feel that the "warmth" of that music is brought out by the AM. Sure, I can listen to "Rock the boat" on my ipod through the FM transmitter, but it's not the same song anymore for me.

Two weeks ago, they switched formats to an all news station. I don't listen to AM anymore, unless a hockey game or a Blue Jays game is on. I am sad. :(

Yorikke
11-15-2010, 06:29 PM
Almost all I listen to here in SF are 680 and 1050, the sports stations, even when -sigh- baseball season is over. On both my car and my little transistor, they come in perfectly clear.

Joe

kenobi 65
11-15-2010, 08:45 PM
I find it amusing that the 70s station on Sirius/XM has the DJs' microphone set up with some effect to make it sound reminiscent of an AM radio signal.

rolandgunslinger
11-15-2010, 09:00 PM
Coast to coast. nuff said.

Taomist
11-15-2010, 09:36 PM
I live near the Mexican border, and receive very few signals at all from the U.S.
Lots of Mexican stations, though! And trolling through AM stations is always fun.

My most memorable trip through the AM lane was driving overnight through Oregon/Washington. In the middle of the mountains, when nothing at all was coming in, suddenly my sister and I hear on an AM spot "You are listening to KWEED"

Still laughing about it 10 years later. :p

Susanann
11-15-2010, 10:07 PM
Perhaps she dislikes AM because all they play in those stations is news and sports, and she likes neither of them?

I don't listen to AM because of that. Although, when I lived in Baton Rouge, there was a New Orleans AM Latin music station that I could get on my radio. So I listened to that AM station because of the music.

I have no interest, and I dont want to listen to spectator sports and news.

AM radio needs to offer more. If AM radio would bring back the old radio shows, drama and comedy, like Amos and Andy, Gildersleeve, Our Miss Brooks, Duffys Tavern, Gunsmoke, Have Gun Will Travel, LIfe of Riley, Ozzie and Harriet, Kraft Theater, Dragnet, Jack Benny, Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis, Fibber McGee, etc, then I would listen.

glowacks
11-15-2010, 11:43 PM
Only when I'm not driving under an overerpass. Or a large bank of overhead wires. Which always happens right in the middle of a traffic report.

CJJ*
11-15-2010, 11:52 PM
The FCC limitations on AM bandwidth in the late '80s (it now tops out at ~10kHz) really hampered music programming on AM. IMO the few stations that still do it are saving pennies by paying a teenage board-op (still star-struck by the idea his voice is on-the-air reading legal ID's or two-line PSAs) $8/hr to run a syndication feed.

kenobi 65
11-16-2010, 12:05 AM
AM radio needs to offer more. If AM radio would bring back the old radio shows, drama and comedy, like Amos and Andy, Gildersleeve, Our Miss Brooks, Duffys Tavern, Gunsmoke, Have Gun Will Travel, LIfe of Riley, Ozzie and Harriet, Kraft Theater, Dragnet, Jack Benny, Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis, Fibber McGee, etc, then I would listen.

When Radio Was is a syndicated hour-long radio program which runs most, if not all, of the old shows you mention:
http://www.whenradiowas.com/

Here in Chicago, it runs on WBBM-AM 780 from midnight to 1am on weekdays.

The same guy who runs When Radio Was, Greg Bell, also hosts a channel on Sirius and XM satellite radios dedicated to old-time radio:
http://gregbellmedia.com/ShowSchedules.html

My personal guess is that (with the possible exception of markets with an older-skewing population, such as parts of Florida and Arizona) the general interest level in old-time radio isn't high enough to make it a viable format for a terrestrial radio station.

aceplace57
11-16-2010, 12:26 AM
Up until the mid 70's AM was more popular around here. The best Rock N Roll was on AM. Clear channel stations out of Chicago were legendary. I remember seeing FM adapters in the stores that added FM to cars. Most cars prior to 1970 came with a standard AM radio unless you upgraded.

jasonh300
11-16-2010, 12:32 AM
I don't have a problem listening to talk radio on AM. In fact, WWL-870 New Orleans has been simulcasting on 105.3 since right after Hurricane Katrina and when I occasionally scan through 105.3 on the FM dial and something catches my interest, I'll flip over to AM to listen to it.

Some music doesn't sound right without that AM radio quality.

Back in '06, I was driving through the Florida panhandle and I picked up an FM station that was playing a 70s adult contemporary format and they had the treble turned down the the reverb turned on. It didn't sound totally like AM radio, but it really brought me back to when there was music on AM. I think it was the reverb that did it since you never hear that effect on FM today.

Susanann
11-16-2010, 10:27 AM
When Radio Was is a syndicated hour-long radio program which runs most, if not all, of the old shows you mention:
http://www.whenradiowas.com/

Here in Chicago, it runs on WBBM-AM 780 from midnight to 1am on weekdays.

The same guy who runs When Radio Was, Greg Bell, also hosts a channel on Sirius and XM satellite radios dedicated to old-time radio:
http://gregbellmedia.com/ShowSchedules.html

None of these play on my local AM stations

Susanann
11-16-2010, 10:47 AM
Originally Posted by Susanann

My personal guess is that (with the possible exception of markets with an older-skewing population, such as parts of Florida and Arizona) the general interest level in old-time radio isn't high enough to make it a viable format for a terrestrial radio station.

1. A person does not have to be "old" in order to listen to comedy and drama radio shows. Young people also like comedy, mystery, suspense, and drama, esp when they get bored with todays sports talk radio shows.

There are people out there today who are younger than 70 who have enjoyed watching, and are STILL watching old historic television shows like Star Trek, I Love Lucy, Bewitched, The Munsters, Are You Being Served, All in the Family, Family Ties, Bob Newhart, etc. Therefore, there is no reason why people younger than 70 might also enjoy Abbot and Costello or a good mystery radio show. YOu dont have to be retired in Florida in order to enjoy: Bewitched.

2. AM stations are not limited to only broadcasting 60, 70 year old broadcasts like Tom Corbett Space Cadet. There is no reason why an AM station could not play brand new up to date newly made radio shows. Isnt there anybody in the United States who would like a career as a writer, playwrite, etc? Secondly, many of todays tv and movie stars have already appeared in shows where only their voice was used, e.g. animated movies.

johnpost
11-16-2010, 11:03 AM

with a good radio and antenna you can listen to that.

with a radio that has an internal antenna it helps to have a wide tuning range (lots of knob turns to move over the tuning range) and the correct position (not near other electronics, where in the room, what direction the radio faces).

much better result is with a radio that has an external antenna (loop style is best), antenna position important (not near other electronics, where in the room, what direction the antenna faces).

i use a boombox and a portable on the second floor, both internal antennas and analog tuning). i use two digital clock radios with loop antennas on the first floor.

i can get an hour every day from one station and 2 to 4 hours (depends on sports, 9 PM to 1AM eastern) from another (CHML, Hamilton, Ontario, 900 KHz). these are syndicated shows of that content with stations in every state of the USA.

you need some radio skill to tune it in. the signal will fade because of the atmospherics as will any distant AM station, unless you are close to it.

johnpost
11-16-2010, 11:10 AM

http://www.whenradiowas.com/ has a station finder for every state in the USA on the right side of the page.

johnpost
11-16-2010, 11:13 AM
2. AM stations are not limited to only broadcasting 60, 70 year old broadcasts like Tom Corbett Space Cadet. There is no reason why an AM station could not play brand new up to date newly made radio shows. Isnt there anybody in the United States who would like a career as a writer, playwrite, etc? Secondly, many of todays tv and movie stars have already appeared in shows where only their voice was used, e.g. animated movies.

CBS Radio Mystery Theater ran from 74 to 82 and was quite popular.

kenobi 65
11-16-2010, 11:14 AM
1. A person does not have to be "old" in order to listen to comedy and drama radio shows. Young people also like comedy, mystery, suspense, and drama, esp when they get bored with todays sports talk radio shows.

There are people out there today who are younger than 70 who have enjoyed watching, and are STILL watching old historic television shows like Star Trek, I Love Lucy, Bewitched, The Munsters, Are You Being Served, All in the Family, Family Ties, Bob Newhart, etc. Therefore, there is no reason why people younger than 70 might also enjoy Abbot and Costello or a good mystery radio show. YOu dont have to be retired in Florida in order to enjoy: Bewitched.

No, you don't have to be old to enjoy listening to comedy and drama on the radio -- but I guarantee you that the vast majority of people who do so are, indeed, older.

Yes, there are people younger than 70 who enjoy watching old TV shows...but, there's likely two things going on there:

1) They're watching the shows which they grew up watching. I enjoy watching old episodes of Bewitched because it's nostalgic for me -- it's a show which I watched as a kid. Listening to old episodes of The Shadow on the radio doesn't have that same personal nostalgia for me.

2) Even if you have younger people who didn't watch those particular shows when they were kids, but watch them now...it's still a behavior (i.e., watching a comedy or drama on TV) which they've had since they were kids. Listening to dramas or comedies on the radio isn't something which they ever did, and so, it's likely a far more difficult thing for them to imagine or adopt.

There is no reason why an AM station could not play brand new up to date newly made radio shows. Isnt there anybody in the United States who would like a career as a writer, playwrite, etc?

I'd imagine it's a simple issue of lack of demand (or, at least, a perceived lack of demand). No one creates new radio programming like that because no one in the radio industry is convinced that there's enough interest in it to warrant spending the money to create it and distribute such a thing.

kenobi 65
11-16-2010, 11:16 AM

I was going to note that, as well as a show called Alien Worlds, a syndicated sci-fi radio series which ran in the late 1970s (and which I enjoyed as a teenager). So, those are newer than the original stuff, but they still have been out of production for 30 years.

Jack Batty
11-16-2010, 11:21 AM
I got into AM Talk radio when The Don and Mike Show was big ... or big in the AM Talk Radio world anyway. I used to listen to them every afternoon at work and on the way home. They were pretty much a 'Morning Zoo' type thing, but syndicated. And in the afternoons.

Now my AM listening habits are limited to The Bob and Tom Show in the mornings (a great little show mostly focused on interviewing comedians). Somethimes I end up catching some of the freakshows that share bandwith with them (Rush, Beck, Hannity, Dr. Laura), but that ususally only lasts until I hear at least one retarded thing that I can curse them out about from afar and I switch over to my Ipod.

kenobi 65
11-16-2010, 11:21 AM
One other note: I listen to When Radio Was semi-regularly (it runs on the station which I listen to for news; I frequently find myself listening to it while I'm getting ready for bed). Frankly, a lot of the programs (particularly the comedies) don't hold up very well. There's a fair amount of topical references, racial stereotypes, and humor based on outdated gender roles...all of which would make it harder for many younger listeners to enjoy it.

kenobi 65
11-16-2010, 11:44 AM

As others have noted, there may be stations close enough to you that you might be able to pick up When Radio Was, especially if you have a radio set up for pulling in distant signals.

Alternately, many radio stations now have live streaming of their programming on the internet. I know that WBBM-AM (http://chicago.cbslocal.com/station/wbbm-newsradio-780/) in Chicago offers this. (Though, note that, if you don't have a broadband internet connection, it can be a little iffy to listen in that way.)

Sirius XM is a satellite radio service; you have to pay for a subscription. While it's primarily meant to be listened to through a satellite radio, you can also listen online. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like the Classic Radio station is available online (not all of their stations are).

johnpost
11-16-2010, 12:34 PM
i use two digital clock radios with loop antennas on the first floor.

to be clear both digital clock radios came with a small plastic loop antenna (less than 4 inches on a side) so you don't have to build or buy one else where.

one that is a current item is Sony clock radio (ICF-C707) that is a pretty good radio (with attached wire FM antenna and a loop AM antenna). 5 AM and 5 FM presets. sleep timer from 15 to 90 minutes. dual alarms with 2,5 and 7 day settings.

kath94
11-16-2010, 01:45 PM
Coast to coast. nuff said.

Yeah! How else are you going to hear about the alien abductions, cattle mutilations, etc? George Nouri (sp?), Art Bell, they're a hoot!

My alarm clock is also set to talk radio. Much more entertaining than the latest "music." Ah, those kids of today. They're probably fed up with commercials. No ads on their iPods.

Oh . . . and get off my lawn, you young whippersnappers!

Beware of Doug
11-16-2010, 02:09 PM
One other note: I listen to When Radio Was semi-regularly (it runs on the station which I listen to for news; I frequently find myself listening to it while I'm getting ready for bed). Frankly, a lot of the programs (particularly the comedies) don't hold up very well. There's a fair amount of topical references, racial stereotypes, and humor based on outdated gender roles...all of which would make it harder for many younger listeners to enjoy it.Yes, plus a lot of radio writers tended to set up the most obvious 3rd-grade puns as if they were Comedy Gold. We must have been a very, very literal-minded society then.

Susanann
11-16-2010, 10:25 PM

Are you agreeing with me? ....or disagreeing?

1974 was 36 years ago!!!!

More than half the people in this world were not even born 36 years ago.

What I was saying, again, is that radio does not need to only broadcast old shows that 60, 70, or even 40 years old. Instead, entirely new shows could be made.

Susanann
11-16-2010, 10:30 PM

1. As others have noted, there may be stations close enough to you that you might be able to pick up When Radio Was, especially if you have a radio set up for pulling in distant signals.

2. Alternately, many radio stations now have live streaming of their programming on the internet. I know that WBBM-AM (http://chicago.cbslocal.com/station/wbbm-newsradio-780/) in Chicago offers this. (Though, note that, if you don't have a broadband internet connection, it can be a little iffy to listen in that way.)

2. Sirius XM is a satellite radio service; you have to pay for a subscription. While it's primarily meant to be listened to through a satellite radio, you can also listen online. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like the Classic Radio station is available online (not all of their stations are).

1. OK, I checked the station-finder, and it says I can get 1 hour, at midnight. 1 hour of adult broadcasting , only at midnight, is not going to "save" AM radio.

2. We are talking about AM radio, and the absence of adult entertainment programming on AM radio (not the internet, not Sirius, not cassette tapes, etc)

Susanann
11-16-2010, 10:34 PM
Frankly, a lot of the programs (particularly the comedies) don't hold up very well. There's a fair amount of topical references, racial stereotypes, and humor based on outdated gender roles...all of which would make it harder for many younger listeners to enjoy it.

Have you ever seen some of the nonsensical meaningless superficial boring not-funny television shows being made today?

kenobi 65
11-16-2010, 11:48 PM
1. OK, I checked the station-finder, and it says I can get 1 hour, at midnight. 1 hour of adult broadcasting , only at midnight, is not going to "save" AM radio.

2. We are talking about AM radio, and the absence of adult entertainment programming on AM radio (not the internet, not Sirius, not cassette tapes, etc)

I wasn't trying to suggest that it was, or wasn't, going to "save AM radio". I was trying to point out that you, personally, did have options to find places where you could listen to some old-time radio programming, which you, personally, wished you could still hear on the radio.

As noted previously, there are likely very good reasons why no one's producing or airing new comedy or drama programming on AM radio: the conventional wisdom is that not enough listeners wish to listen to that sort of programming on the radio. It's been over five decades since TV stole that sort of audience from the radio, and I don't think anyone realistically expects that radio could get it back.

kenobi 65
11-16-2010, 11:54 PM
Have you ever seen some of the nonsensical meaningless superficial boring not-funny television shows being made today?

Not that I disagree with you...but from the POV of the younger people whom you seem to want to get to listen to radio comedies, those shows are probably more relevant and funnier, by far, than a 60-year-old episode of "The Great Gildersleeve" or "Fibber McGee and Molly".

johnpost
11-17-2010, 12:11 AM

Are you agreeing with me? ....or disagreeing?

1974 was 36 years ago!!!!

More than half the people in this world were not even born 36 years ago.

What I was saying, again, is that radio does not need to only broadcast old shows that 60, 70, or even 40 years old. Instead, entirely new shows could be made.

what is though of as OTR (old time radio) was largely before the 50s though some great shows ran to 62.

though the strong showing of CBS Radio Mystery Theater showed audio could still be popular in the age of other media.

there are productions more recently of audio drama. Imagination Theater is currently done for radio.

JuliaSqueezer
11-17-2010, 08:51 AM
Seldom.

Michigan seems to have abdicated AM radio to right-wing talk, sports talk and religious stations. I'm not interested in hearing those topics. At all.

The few stations that carry programming other than those 3 (oldies music, ask the lawyer/mechanic/home improvement guru) are often presented at odd times and are so loaded with ads that they are virtually impossible to enjoy. The ads are annoying, badly produced, and seem to adhere to some formula that requires shouting an 800 number three times.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.