PDA

View Full Version : The Beatles are on iTunes!

sparky!
11-16-2010, 12:20 PM
Finally!

I have most of their albums on CD and look forward to being able to grab the remaining tracks I like and not have to then rip them to my hard drive.

Unfortunately, iTunes seems slow as molasses at the moment and already crashed twice (bloated, horrible iTunes).

cochrane
11-16-2010, 12:27 PM
Never mind.

sparky!
11-16-2010, 12:34 PM
They even have the box set! At $149.00 with 14 albums, that seems like a steal.

B. Serum
11-16-2010, 12:34 PM
So Apple's day "we'll always remember" is that the Beatles main catalog — the music we've all heard a billion times over — can now be purchased on iTunes! And I know the Beatles main catalog has been heard to death, but you really owe it to yourself to check out the gems in the Live at the BBC and Anthology 1, 2, and 3. And... though some people don't care for it, their Love mashups really do breathe some new life into these old standards, so... uh... oh. I guess none of these recent releases are available. O-kay.

Well, since digital music on MP3 players is such a song-by-song experience, I'm sure that they'll offer "single" versions of some of their music like "A Day in the Life," "Dear Prudence" etc. for which I won't have to hear the abrupt clipped fade-out into the mix... no? Well, I suppose that was unrealistically optimistic. Even though the late-80's John Lennon: Imagine (http://www.amazon.com/Imagine-Original-Soundtrack-John-Lennon/dp/B000002UTI) soundtrack included a Day in the Life in that form.

Well, with iTunes being one of the few(only?) ways to buy high-quality music videos, I'm actually thrilled that I'll finally be able to buy a full set of Beatles music videos! I'll just do a quick search... and.... oh.

So this announcement is just "Hey we mostly plugged the most obvious glaring omission in our catalog since it's launch, but there's nothing here that you haven't been able to get anywhere else."

This will be one to tell the grandchildren about.

sparky!
11-16-2010, 12:52 PM
Frankly, I'm psyched (see my thread post a few minutes before this one).

I have a lot of their albums already. What I don't have are a few songs from other albums and love that I can buy them and not the whole album (like only getting a few tracks off the White album).

So, for me, it's a good thing.

Promethea
11-16-2010, 12:56 PM
FoxNews are all excited about it too:

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/11/15/apple-itunes-gets-rights-beatles/

Manchester? :dubious:

Alpha Twit
11-16-2010, 01:19 PM
So, for me, it's a good thing.

For me, it's certainly not a bad thing. Merely an irrelevant thing.

Maybe I'm just too young to realize how important the Beatles were but I just have to say "So What?" By the time I started becoming musically aware, John was already dead, we had Yoko making a steady stream of annoying sounds and "Wings" was filling the airwaves.

sparky!
11-16-2010, 01:23 PM
For me, it's certainly not a bad thing. Merely an irrelevant thing.

Maybe I'm just too young to realize how important the Beatles were but I just have to say "So What?" By the time I started becoming musically aware, John was already dead, we had Yoko making a steady stream of annoying sounds and "Wings" was filling the airwaves.

I'm 35 and still love The Beatles.

I can listen to their stuff over and over, get bored with them, then listen over and over again in a few years.

Jas09
11-16-2010, 01:23 PM
Exactly. Tell me when the Bee Gee's catalog is available!

Alpha Twit
11-16-2010, 01:31 PM
I'm 35 and still love The Beatles.

I can listen to their stuff over and over, get bored with them, then listen over and over again in a few years.

More power to you then. I'm not known for my good taste in music and I'm certainly not going to begrudge you your happiness.

I just simply don't see it though.

Baron Greenback
11-16-2010, 01:40 PM
They even have the box set! At $149.00 with 14 albums, that seems like a steal.

For that money I'd want an actual box.

Marley23
11-16-2010, 01:54 PM
Merged B. Serum's thread into sparky!'s.

Munch
11-16-2010, 01:54 PM
For that money I'd want an actual box.

For that, you have to pay...less. The actual physical media boxset is on sale at Amazon for $130 right now in both stereo or mono, free shipping.

Munch
11-16-2010, 01:58 PM
So this announcement is just "Hey we mostly plugged the most obvious glaring omission in our catalog since it's launch, but there's nothing here that you haven't been able to get anywhere else."

No, it's more along the lines of "Hey, we finally convinced the Beatles' trademark holders that selling the music online isn't some scary boogeymonster to be afraid of." For years they were convinced that once it went online, everyone would immediately be able to steal it. They seemed to be fully unaware of the fact that you could digitize music directly from CDs and share it with your friends.

Vinyl Turnip
11-16-2010, 02:07 PM
Gee, If only John and George were alive to see it.

woodstockbirdybird
11-16-2010, 02:45 PM

And Paul. He was the first to go.

Yodalicious
11-16-2010, 02:54 PM
Any idea how long it's an iTunes exclusive? I really don't want to give any of my money to Steve Jobs.

Munch
11-16-2010, 03:14 PM
Any idea how long it's an iTunes exclusive? I really don't want to give any of my money to Steve Jobs.

If you want to buy it, why wouldn't you just buy the physical media and make your own mp3s? For less money?

Giles
11-16-2010, 03:21 PM

Don't complain: at least they got the country right.

sparky!
11-16-2010, 03:24 PM
If you want to buy it, why wouldn't you just buy the physical media and make your own mp3s? For less money?

The convenience is nice. I hate going to a store, buying the CD, ripping it to my hard drive and then storing that plastic CD that I will never again touch, or take the time to sell it used somewhere.

I long for the day when all media is digital.

cochrane
11-16-2010, 03:34 PM

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/11/15/apple-itunes-gets-rights-beatles/

Obviously, they got the Beatles mixed up with the Bee Gees. :D

Yodalicious
11-16-2010, 03:45 PM

That's probably what I'll end up doing since I really want the Mono set, and I think iTunes is only offering the stereo versions.

I was holding out hope that Google Music (when it finally arrives) would be the first to have The Beatles catalog, but oh well....

Promethea
11-16-2010, 04:02 PM
Obviously, they got the Beatles mixed up with the Bee Gees. :D

They've changed it to "England's favorite mopheads" now. Too redfaced to change it to Liverpool? Also, I don't want to stick the boot in here but isn't the usual term 'moptop'?

Yodalicious
11-16-2010, 04:17 PM
iTunes exclusive "into 2011." (http://www.ipodnn.com/articles/10/11/16/itunes.beatles.deal.an.exclusive.past.january/)

Acsenray
11-16-2010, 04:51 PM
we finally convinced the Beatles' trademark holders

Copyright, not trademark.

iamthewalrus(:3=
11-16-2010, 05:06 PM
Copyright, not trademark.In the case of the Beatles (and Apple), it really is trademark at issue, I think. The long-existing hostilities between them are the result of trademark disputes over the Apple brand name. The Beatles' record label was "Apple" as well.

Acsenray
11-16-2010, 06:06 PM
The circumstances that Munch described amounts to a concern by the party that controls the copyrights.

Lord Mondegreen
11-16-2010, 06:14 PM
They've changed it to "England's favorite mopheads" now. Too redfaced to change it to Liverpool? Also, I don't want to stick the boot in here but isn't the usual term 'moptop'?

Yes, it is. Although now I'm thinking that I will start calling Fox News a bunch of mopheads.

Munch
11-16-2010, 06:18 PM
Copyright, not trademark.

Dammit. I even thought about it for a second. Stupid brain...

Jackmannii
11-16-2010, 06:25 PM
Exactly. Tell me when the Bee Gee's catalog is available!Which Bee Gee? Seems to me there's a whole mess of Gibbs.

Cubsfan
11-16-2010, 06:29 PM
The convenience is nice. I hate going to a store, buying the CD, ripping it to my hard drive and then storing that plastic CD that I will never again touch, or take the time to sell it used somewhere.

I long for the day when all media is digital.

So you waited years for them to be available on iTunes instead of getting the cds used somewhere and ripping them to your computer at the bit rate of your choice? That is convenient?

Color me unimpressed. The entire catalog has been available for decades in various forms. 99% of the people that want Beatles mp3s have them by now.

Most over rated band ever.

pulykamell
11-16-2010, 06:40 PM
99% of the people that want Beatles mp3s have them by now.

Perhaps...but I still bet the MP3s sell like hotcakes. I love the Beatles (I'd call them the best pop band ever, although they might not be my favorite band), but don't have most of their shit for one reason or another, and their availability on iTunes certainly makes it more possible that I will buy them.

sparky!
11-16-2010, 06:43 PM
So you waited years for them to be available on iTunes instead of getting the cds used somewhere and ripping them to your computer at the bit rate of your choice? That is convenient?

Color me unimpressed. The entire catalog has been available for decades in various forms. 99% of the people that want Beatles mp3s have them by now.

Most over rated band ever.

Ummm... did you even read my other posts?

I own a lot of their albums already. However, there are albums that I have held off buying because I assume there are only a few tracks on them that I'd like.

With this new deal, I can buy the single tracks on those albums that I like. Hence the reason I bought a few off the White album today.

BTW: The Beatles were the Greatest Band Ever!

fusoya
11-16-2010, 08:18 PM
The key word being WERE. Then The Who came along in 1964, and kicked the Beatles asses.

I really don't get WHY this is news. I've had Beatles songs on my ipod since 2003.

mr. jp
11-16-2010, 09:17 PM
In a related note, I'm very disappointed with the whole digital music scene. iTunes is a terrible mp3 player. (No search keyboard search shortcut?) Now I can use my money to buy Beatles songs? It seems like my local supermarket proudly exclaiming that I can now buy eggs. Also, why are the songs so expensive in general? There is no additional expense in selling additional songs.

pulykamell
11-16-2010, 09:30 PM
(No search keyboard search shortcut?)

Command-Option-F works for me.

Quasimodem
11-16-2010, 09:32 PM
Color me "prejudiced" as far as The Fabs go, but the iTunes thing left me going "so what" until I realized The Beatles reach across the years, so why not offer their work to iTunes - mp 3 users, no matter what their ages?

And yes, sparky!, they were and are, AFAIAC.:)

My Mom's pots and pans took a lot of abuse from this "Ringo Wannabee"!;)

Quasi's prediction for the next best Beatles' music presentation?

Brain/ear implants making it possible to be as "close" as one can be! ;) Just press a button on your neck and there ya go!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Uw7phR9ucA

Thanks

Q

blondebear
11-16-2010, 09:45 PM
Ah, the kids have it soooooo easy in this day and age. In my time we had to walk 6 miles in the snow--uphill both ways--to buy our Beatles records.

GameHat
11-16-2010, 09:47 PM
Haters gonna hate, I suppose.

This is a big deal. Like it or not, latter-half 20th century pop music pretty much boils down to maybe 5 acts - Sinatra, Elvis, The Beatles, Michael Jackson, and X. I'll let the dope board argue about who X should be, but the first four are pretty much gold standard. iTunes lacking The Beatles until now was a huge gaping hole in musical breadth.

I'm not even a big fan of the time period or the genre but I'll still probably pick up the box set on iTunes. There's just so much good music, and as a fan of other genres it's fun to listen to the Beatles to be able to say - "Huh! That's where band Y got that idea!"

And yes, I was waiting for the iTunes release. Because ALL my music is either directly from iTunes or ripped to Apple's codec (AAC I think?) Plus all my podcasts. Plus I use an iPod for listening.

And for people saying "just buy CDs and rip them!" - for a long time, I did prefer that route (anyone else remember r3mix.net?) However:

1) Record stores are dead, at least in the suburbs. The last good record store I frequented - Tower Records - closed up several years ago.

2) Places that still sell CDs (your Targets, your Best Buys) stock only the bare minimum "Top 40" shit.

3) iTunes actually does give much lesser known artists space. Good space. There's dozens of albums I've bought on iTunes that I wouldn't have found in any record store within 20 miles of me.

Of the last 20 albums I've bought, probably 19 were iTunes downloads. I've grown comfortable with that, and come to love the ease, speed and convenience. Audio quality is fine, price is pretty cheap, selection is massively wide and deep, downloads are fast. Digital distribution is where I've settled.

So huzzah for iTunes finally getting the Beatles. Now I can give their library a proper listen.

pulykamell
11-16-2010, 09:56 PM
I'll let the dope board argue about who X should be.

I literally thought you were talking about the Los Angeles punk band X in the previous sentence and thinking, wow, that's kind of out of left field. (Great band, though.)

Quasimodem
11-16-2010, 09:56 PM
Ah, the kids have it soooooo easy in this day and age. In my time we had to walk 6 miles in the snow--uphill both ways--to buy our Beatles records.

Whaaaat? You didn't have to claw your way through avalanches????;)

And you say you had it difficult????:)

J/K:D:D:D

Ah, hell, I don't know. It's all relative, isn't it? I used to have to listen to them on a very small transistor radio underneath my blankets with one of those white plastic earplugs!.

I am just so happy that they're still around in whatever way we can enjoy them!

cochrane
11-16-2010, 10:39 PM
Exactly. Tell me when the Bee Gee's catalog is available!

Unless you're whooshing us, pretty much all of the Bee Gees' catalog has been available on iTunes all along.

Jim's Son
11-16-2010, 11:56 PM

Not to mention Stu Sutcliffe.

Now all we need is for someone in the Beatles camp (Paul?) to tell Pete Best why he was kicked out.

Quasimodem
11-17-2010, 01:00 AM
Not to mention Stu Sutcliffe.

Now all we need is for someone in the Beatles camp (Paul?) to tell Pete Best why he was kicked out.

Yeah, I know. There's nothing in the history which says Pete was a 1) better drummer or 2)as good or a drummer or 3) as "good-looking" as Ringo.

Pete pissed someone off, basically, right?

The "believe it or not" story is the fact he refused to comb his hair forward (in the "mop-top" style).

But yeah, Jim's Son: that would be a good thing to know and I guess Sir Paul would be the one to tell us - posthumously, I reckon.

Thread hijack. I apologize!

Q

multimediac17
11-17-2010, 01:24 AM
This feels like it should be a big deal because it's been in the works for so long, but it's just such a non-event. The digital box set is the same price I paid for the physical version, and that is just ridiculous. Australian iTunes prices are a rip-off already without them going even further.

If there had been some exclusives or something - videos, maybe even an unheard track or something, this would be exciting. But it's just a bunch of songs that have been available for years. Big woop. It's also just the bare minimum of the Beatles catalogue - there's no Live At The BBC, Anthology albums, no Love, not even 1, which was one of the biggest selling albums of the last decade and would be a surefire digital hit as it would collect all their number one hits into a nice little easily-downloaded package, for the super-casual fan. It was the album that got me into the Beatles, and of course it is still available on CD, but it would be a great introduction for people who don't buy CDs.

You know what would actually be newsworthy? The Let It Be film on DVD. But that probably won't be happening any time soon.

sparky!
11-17-2010, 04:18 AM
This feels like it should be a big deal because it's been in the works for so long, but it's just such a non-event. The digital box set is the same price I paid for the physical version, and that is just ridiculous. Australian iTunes prices are a rip-off already without them going even further.

If there had been some exclusives or something - videos, maybe even an unheard track or something, this would be exciting. But it's just a bunch of songs that have been available for years. Big woop. It's also just the bare minimum of the Beatles catalogue - there's no Live At The BBC, Anthology albums, no Love, not even 1, which was one of the biggest selling albums of the last decade and would be a surefire digital hit as it would collect all their number one hits into a nice little easily-downloaded package, for the super-casual fan. It was the album that got me into the Beatles, and of course it is still available on CD, but it would be a great introduction for people who don't buy CDs.

You know what would actually be newsworthy? The Let It Be film on DVD. But that probably won't be happening any time soon.

One step at a time.

Vinyl Turnip
11-17-2010, 10:00 AM

I don't mind. I could wait forever. I've got time.

control-z
11-17-2010, 11:40 AM
I have to buy the Beatles albums again???

I think it's fine they're on iTunes, whatever. But I don't see why it's an earth-shattering event. I ripped my Beatles CDs 10 or 15 years ago. I think most people that are interested in the Beatles already have what they want. I'd guess there will still be a constant but diminishing stream of young new fans though.

PlainJain
11-17-2010, 11:55 AM
Unless you're whooshing us, pretty much all of the Bee Gees' catalog has been available on iTunes all along.
I'm guessing it's reference to this thread (http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=585380).

cochrane
11-17-2010, 01:10 PM
I'm guessing it's reference to this thread (http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=585380).
Yeah, I know. That's why I considered the possibility of a whoosh.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.