PDA

View Full Version : Doctor Who paying homage to American audiences

Acorns...but not Bacon
11-16-2010, 04:14 PM
"...this year, it's all about America."

Some new info on latest series -

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/cult/s7/doctor-who/news/a288137/doctor-who-exec-teases-sixth-series.html#article_continue

"It's all about taking the show out to the States and seeing what Doctor Who will feel like set in America and in some very iconographic parts of the...landscape."

Personally glad it's branching out imagery wise, it was starting to feel a little calustrophobic, if you know what I mean. There are a few Doctor Who fans here, right?

Yllaria
11-16-2010, 05:24 PM
There are more than a few fans here. I'm looking forward to the new season. Especially because, according to his online journal (http://journal.neilgaiman.com/2010/08/it-was-pretty-damn-wonderful-actually.html), Neil Gaiman wrote the third episode.

I'm expecting coolness. No matter where it's set.

gaffa
11-16-2010, 05:30 PM
It would be nice if they employ some American actors to play Americans. The accents in Daleks in Manhattan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daleks_in_Manhattan) were awful.

Drunky Smurf
11-16-2010, 05:31 PM
There are more than a few fans here. I'm looking forward to the new season. Especially because, according to his online journal (http://journal.neilgaiman.com/2010/08/it-was-pretty-damn-wonderful-actually.html), Neil Gaiman wrote the third episode.

My thoughts exactly.

njtt
11-16-2010, 05:33 PM
One of the chief charms of Dr Who is that, unlike most science fiction it is not all set in America (or some future American empire).

Alessan
11-16-2010, 05:33 PM
You know what I want in the next series? Fezzes. Fezzes are cool.

Jenaroph
11-16-2010, 05:35 PM
It would be nice if they employ some American actors to play Americans. The accents in Daleks in Manhattan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daleks_in_Manhattan) were awful.

Not to mention the New York dwelling pig-guy referring to the elevator as a "lift."

Drunky Smurf
11-16-2010, 05:37 PM

Smith looked very un-dorky in a Fez. I'd be happy if it became a part of his regular outfit.

"Oh yeah, I wear fezzes now. Fezzes are cool."

amanset
11-16-2010, 05:50 PM

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/cult/s7/doctor-who/news/a288137/doctor-who-exec-teases-sixth-series.html#article_continue

"It's all about taking the show out to the States and seeing what Doctor Who will feel like set in America and in some very iconographic parts of the...landscape."

Personally glad it's branching out imagery wise, it was starting to feel a little calustrophobic, if you know what I mean. There are a few Doctor Who fans here, right?

Bah. The real problem is that too much is set on Earth. What happened to the other planets? He can travel in time AND space.

Yllaria
11-16-2010, 05:52 PM
Hey, let the man have his hobby.

fiddlesticks
11-16-2010, 07:26 PM
My first thought was the accents in Daleks in Manhattan too. Maybe they'll explain away the US-centricity by saying a new "rift" opened up in North America, same way the Doctor was drawn to downtown Cardiff a lot.

kasuo
11-16-2010, 07:32 PM
Hmm, how playful can they get? Maybe a visit to the Grand Canyon a few million years ago and somehow the Doctor battles some aliens and accidently cracks the ground? Or how about altering Mount Rushmore in some hilarious way? I'd like to see the Doctor meet with Lincoln or Teddy Roosevelt. Maybe add an element of steampunk with an American equivalent of UNIT from the late 1800's.

EvilTOJ
11-16-2010, 07:36 PM
Oh, Doctor Who! I thought the thread title was full of typos.

GuanoLad
11-16-2010, 07:44 PM
Some of the actors in Daleks in Manhattan were American. And lets face it, they were just as good as the British or Australian accents that American actors attempt.

Rhythmdvl
11-16-2010, 08:40 PM
Bah. The real problem is that too much is set on Earth. What happened to the other planets? He can travel in time AND space.

What makes you think there won't be plenty of space travel? America has a rich mining history and there are hundreds of quarries in every state.

Rhiannon8404
11-16-2010, 08:44 PM
One of the chief charms of Dr Who is that, unlike most science fiction it is not all set in America (or some future American empire).

I feel the same way.

bibliophile
11-16-2010, 09:56 PM
On a related note, Matt Smith will be on Craig Ferguson tonight.

Apollyon
11-16-2010, 10:10 PM
Some of the actors in Daleks in Manhattan were American. And lets face it, they were just as good as the British or Australian accents that American actors attempt.Be fair though; some US actors can do pretty good English accents... that Hugh Laurie chap is pretty decent...

Alan Smithee
11-16-2010, 11:43 PM
What makes you think there won't be plenty of space travel? America has a rich mining history and there are hundreds of quarries in every state.
I LOL'd! :D

Nobody
11-17-2010, 12:08 AM
As an American, I feel honored that they're spending some time here, but I think it would be very cool if they spent some time in Japan.

Actually, for Earth based episodes, they should travel the world. India one episode, Mexico the next. And since it's a time machine, it could be something like modern Mexico* and ancient India, and then future Sweden.

*Seeing as how the first doctor already had an adventure involving the Aztecs.

cerberus
11-17-2010, 01:34 AM
It would be really funny if they shot in Vancouver to save money.

aceplace57
11-17-2010, 02:08 AM
I watch the show because it's British. We already have plenty of U.S. Sci Fi.

Filming here is a nice gesture. Filming here will cost them more. I much rather they use the budget for special effects.

I hope we get at least one shot of the Tardis at Mt Rushmore out of this. ;)

GuanoLad
11-17-2010, 02:10 AM
I hope they film in Australia for the 2012 series.

Rhythmdvl
11-17-2010, 02:21 AM
Filming here is a nice gesture. Filming here will cost them more. I much rather they use the budget for special effects.
I heard they were able to film here because green bubblewrap is cheaper in the states.

Alessan
11-17-2010, 03:32 AM
I think special effects these last few seasons have been surprisingly good; certainly as good as anything in current American SF shows.

Nobody
11-17-2010, 03:41 AM
I think special effects these last few seasons have been surprisingly good; certainly as good as anything in current American SF shows.
Well yeah, of course the US and the UK have the same quality of special effects. We all just use CGI now. :D

Lust4Life
11-17-2010, 07:27 AM
I'd like D.W, to get a bit more serious and a little less quirky/comic.

The quirky/comic thing is getting boring now as are the repeated visits to the U.K. with all of the universe at their fingertips.

Anaamika
11-17-2010, 09:48 AM
Awww, I like him being British-centric.

Scubaqueen
11-17-2010, 10:02 AM
Some of the actors in Daleks in Manhattan were American. And lets face it, they were just as good as the British or Australian accents that American actors attempt.

they needed to take lessons from alan cumming. great onig, david tennant sure should have for that pilot he shot here. for an actor as talented as he is, his american accent needed serious help. the heck didn't they let him use his natural accent? dead sexy, that. :D

they're both scots but if i didn't know better, i'd have pegged cumming as american - at least to my ear. he's doing a fabulous turn on 'the good wife' these days and the reason i watch the show.

kath94
11-17-2010, 03:00 PM

Ooh! Set it in Warehouse 13. Crossover!

Alan Smithee
11-17-2010, 03:03 PM
Are they still planning a series of Torchwood set in America (and produced with an American network)? Maybe this is setting it up....

JohnT
11-17-2010, 03:23 PM

Yes, yes they are (http://www.meetup.com/DoctorWhoFansUnite/photos/1148484/#19578645).

(That's my 9yo daughter in the middle).

Baron Greenback
11-17-2010, 03:25 PM
Are they still planning a series of Torchwood set in America (and produced with an American network)?

Yup, Torchwood is now a co-production with Starz.

Here's the series promotional synopsis:

When C.I.A. agent Rex Matheson investigates a global conspiracy, he finds himself unearthing a threat which challenges the entire human race. The answers seem to lie within an old, secret British institute, known only as Torchwood. But Torchwood was destroyed, years ago, and the keys to the institute are held by its only two survivors - former Police Officer Gwen Cooper, who has long since disappeared along with her husband and child, and the mysterious Captain Jack Harkness, a man whose history seems to stretch back centuries.

With Rex under attack from all sides, in both the US and the UK, he soon discovers there are forces at work within every level of society, determined to stop Torchwood's return. As a chain of events across the world links together the most disparate and unlikely individuals - including a surgeon, a killer, senators and CEOs - a new Torchwood team takes shape. But this time, the threat is much closer to home, as they realize that their greatest enemy is mankind itself

Harmonious Discord
11-17-2010, 04:24 PM
The funny thing about this is Americans will have to wait at least a year after the initial airing to view it. You can't even watch clips from the BBC site from America.

Eyebrows 0f Doom
11-17-2010, 04:34 PM
The funny thing about this is Americans will have to wait at least a year after the initial airing to view it. You can't even watch clips from the BBC site from America.

Actually I just read today that the Christmas special is actually going to be broadcast on BBC-America on Christmas!! (http://bbcamerica.com/shows/doctor-who/episodes/2010-special-a-christmas-carol.jsp)Last year they showed "The End of Time" the same week it aired in the UK so hopefully they'll keep to the same schedule when series 6 starts next year.

(Of course, what sucks is I will be at my parents for Christmas, and they have Cablevision which doesn't carry BBC-America, so I still will have to wait to see it.)

Slow Moving Vehicle
11-17-2010, 05:22 PM

Neil Gaiman and Doctor Who. I have died and gone to nerdvana.

Fez? Nah - gimme Donna. One red-head just isn't enough.

The idea of the Doctor meeting Tommy Chong is kinda funny, though...

WotNot
11-18-2010, 03:19 AM
I watch the show because it's British. We already have plenty of U.S. Sci Fi.

I hope we get at least one shot of the Tardis at Mt Rushmore out of this. ;)

It seems that the extra cost of filming in the US is being met by BBC America, so the FX budget won't be affected.

I understand that they're filming in Utah, and that part of the story is set in Washington DC so I'm afraid Mt Rushmore looks unlikely.

Nobody
11-18-2010, 03:30 AM
The doctor battles a Cyberman and his six Dalek wives.

Bridget Burke
11-18-2010, 08:30 AM

Last "season" BBCamerica showed each Dr Who episode roughly one week after it showed in the UK.

AncientHumanoid
11-18-2010, 08:44 AM
Hey, let the man have his hobby.

Yeah! As he's said before, "Humans are among my favorite species."

I wouldn't mind seeing him visiting Miami Beach, saying something in a monotone, then taking off his RayBans to look pensive.

Lips_Obsession
11-18-2010, 12:40 PM

The fez will return, as confirmed by Moffatt...

http://doctorwhotv.co.uk/the-fez-returns-11561.htm

smaje1
11-18-2010, 12:44 PM
Definitely check out Craig Ferguson's crazy Doctor Who episode from a few days ago. It gave me the warm fuzzies.

PS... It was the first time I'd ever watch Ferguson's show. Is he always that insane? I mean, he was hilarious, but a little coked-up. Either way, it was awesome.

Harmonious Discord
11-18-2010, 01:17 PM
Last "season" BBCamerica showed each Dr Who episode roughly one week after it showed in the UK.

That's good to hear, because in a world were data can flash around the world like right now, making countries wait a year or more to see a series is bull. Now if they would fix it so we can see previews and interviews on the BBC site that would be an additional that's great.

Scubaqueen
11-18-2010, 03:55 PM

and for those of us who don't bbca, there's always youtube and the endless battle between legal and not so legal viewings... :p

GuanoLad
11-18-2010, 05:01 PM
PS... It was the first time I'd ever watch Ferguson's show. Is he always that insane? I mean, he was hilarious, but a little coked-up. Either way, it was awesome.He has his ups and downs, but he takes his lead by what he grew up with in the UK, and crazy off-the-cuff ideas are sprinkled liberally throughout the series.

Alan Smithee
11-18-2010, 05:17 PM
Definitely check out Craig Ferguson's crazy Doctor Who episode from a few days ago. It gave me the warm fuzzies.

PS... It was the first time I'd ever watch Ferguson's show. Is he always that insane? I mean, he was hilarious, but a little coked-up. Either way, it was awesome.

I don't watch the show, but I know that Ferguson's been very open about his past struggles with addiction (alcohol, I think. It would be a real shame if he's actually getting coked up.

Slow Moving Vehicle
11-18-2010, 05:43 PM

The problem with the accents were not that they were British actors with bad American accents; they were bad period American accents. I don't know if the human baddie (the one who merges with Dalek Sek) was an American or a Brit, but his attempt at a Depression-era New York accent was painful. He sounded like he had wandered in from a community-theater production of Guys And Dolls.

I don't watch the show, but I know that Ferguson's been very open about his past struggles with addiction (alcohol, I think. It would be a real shame if he's actually getting coked up.

Two years ago, Craig Ferguson was the guest speaker at a fund-raiser for the addiction treatment facility where my wife is a social worker; he is very eloquent about addiction and recovery. A few years ago he had a long monologue,about recovery, on his show; this was when Brittany Spears had shaved her head and gone into rehab. He started off explaining why he was not going to make jokes at her expense, and then expanded into his own battles with alcoholism. You can find it on YouTube; it's very powerful.

gaffa
11-20-2010, 12:06 PM
Two years ago, Craig Ferguson was the guest speaker at a fund-raiser for the addiction treatment facility where my wife is a social worker; he is very eloquent about addiction and recovery. A few years ago he had a long monologue,about recovery, on his show; this was when Brittany Spears had shaved her head and gone into rehab. He started off explaining why he was not going to make jokes at her expense, and then expanded into his own battles with alcoholism. You can find it on YouTube; it's very powerful.
I saw that show. He was not "coked up". No, he was a little Scots boy meeting Doctor Who! And he had an actual Dalek in his room!

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.