PDA

View Full Version : Modern Family 11/17/10

MPB in Salt Lake
11-17-2010, 09:38 PM
Another overall so-so episode, but like usual, with several funny lines sprinkled in throughout the show.

My favorite were two bits referencing Gloria's growing up in Columbia.

"You'd have thought with her growing up around Death Squads and all those drunken uncles that she would have learned to move a little bit faster."

"Mom, you could have shot me with that!"
"Manny, I could unbutton your shirt with this if I wanted to." :D

corkboard
11-18-2010, 07:43 AM
Good God, does Gloria's chest get slightly bigger every week, or is it my imagination?

ETA: I loved the moment when Mitchell jumped into the flash mob.

Sigmagirl
11-18-2010, 08:32 AM
"If it ain't white, it ain't right!" I loved the way the taxi driver was throwing the luggage around, and of course Phil has that stupid look on his face because he has no idea why.

muldoonthief
11-18-2010, 08:42 AM
Good God, does Gloria's chest get slightly bigger every week, or is it my imagination?

I think they realized she'd spend a lot of the episode bending over looking for her keys, so they had wardrobe select appropriate clothing.

"When's the last time you had the keys?"

"I don't know! When's thee last time you had my keeeys?"

"When I put them in your hand the day I bought you the car."

tr0psn4j
11-18-2010, 01:04 PM
Good God, does Gloria's chest get slightly bigger every week, or is it my imagination?.

Maybe the keys got lost in there. :)

gytalf2000
11-18-2010, 02:06 PM
Gloria's scenes with the gun were hilarious!

lieu
11-18-2010, 02:17 PM
Good God, does Gloria's chest get slightly bigger every week, or is it my imagination?It made our TV room actually feel smaller.

I loved the moment when Mitchell jumped into the flash mob.Cracked me up, that and the last scenes where Cam's timing's off.

Misnomer
11-18-2010, 02:33 PM
ETA: I loved the moment when Mitchell jumped into the flash mob.I did not see that coming, and it was awesome! Probably one of the best moments of the entire series for me. :)

River Hippie
11-18-2010, 02:46 PM
Maybe it's my warped sense of humor but when the dad started to tear up in the car and the next moment the dad and both daughters are bawling their eyes out cracked me up. I was laughing so hard I almost started crying.

amarinth
11-18-2010, 02:52 PM
"Manny, I could unbutton your shirt with this if I wanted to."I laughed for 5 minutes straight when she shot the island.

Joey P
11-18-2010, 02:56 PM
"Manny, I could unbutton your shirt with this if I wanted to." :D
I loved that too, I just wish she wasn't holding the gun like a gangsta.

I think they're just making them bounce more.

ShelliBean
11-18-2010, 03:09 PM
Sweet baby jesus!!

UncleRojelio
11-18-2010, 03:18 PM
I loved that too, I just wish she wasn't holding the gun like a gangsta.

That is how her gangsta uncles taught her.

gytalf2000
11-18-2010, 03:43 PM
Maybe it's my warped sense of humor but when the dad started to tear up in the car and the next moment the dad and both daughters are bawling their eyes out cracked me up. I was laughing so hard I almost started crying.

Yeah, me too!

PunditLisa
11-18-2010, 03:59 PM
My favorite MF episode so far.

pepperlandgirl
11-18-2010, 07:12 PM

Me too. That was my favorite part of the episode.

Cat Whisperer
11-18-2010, 07:28 PM
I LOVED it. I laughed my ass off from beginning to end. The daughters crying because they made their daddy cry and Phil crying even harder was hysterical.

MPB in Salt Lake
11-18-2010, 07:49 PM
I LOVED it. I laughed my ass off from beginning to end. The daughters crying because they made their daddy cry and Phil crying even harder was hysterical.

That's what makes subjective stuff like comedy so enjoyable; that was the least entertaining scene in the episode to me, but I think it's great that others were getting laughs out of it.

From what I have gathered, I think that the cast seems to actually like each other, and to really enjoy working together........

(and also, while Sofia Vergara certainly is attractive, to me Julie Bowen is a much, much better looking woman, and for what it's worth, I am not usually drawn to blondes, and 99% of the time, the women with the dark hair and olive complexion are the ones I would be looking at---As I said, certain things in life are subjective)

River Hippie
11-18-2010, 08:33 PM
That's what makes subjective stuff like comedy so enjoyable; that was the least entertaining scene in the episode to me, but I think it's great that others were getting laughs out of it.

From what I have gathered, I think that the cast seems to actually like each other, and to really enjoy working together........

(and also, while Sofia Vergara certainly is attractive, to me Julie Bowen is a much, much better looking woman, and for what it's worth, I am not usually drawn to blondes, and 99% of the time, the women with the dark hair and olive complexion are the ones I would be looking at---As I said, certain things in life are subjective)

Julie Bowen has been a favorite of mine since that show about the lawyer that owned a bowling alley. She is a beauty.

I did think SV's boobs looked extra huge in last night's episode. She's also quite attractive.

PunditLisa
11-19-2010, 05:43 AM
I agree that SV's boobs were ginormous in that dress. However, I'm really glad that they made her character so likeable. I was afraid that they were going to make her a typical trophy wife. Instead, she seems to actually love her husband and Manny, who BTW is hysterical.

lieu
11-19-2010, 08:54 AM
We watched this episode for the 3rd time last night and still cracked up all the way through. Gloria's accent can be so heavy at times that until I read it here I hadn't caught the "unbutton your shirt" with the gun part.

MGYG and Halloween are two of our favorite episodes so far. I'm just sorry we didn't get hooked on the show earlier in the season. It is nicely paired with Cougar Town too, that makes for a good hour of solid entertainment.

WordMan
11-19-2010, 12:31 PM

Dopers are agreeing with this - and I do, too; it was hilarious - but I haven't seen any comments about the dichotomy of the two cars. Claire/Julie Bowen is grousing about how she is not the fun parent - and Luke the son totally agrees - while the girls are griping about Dad's idea of fun, but end up in tears because they are so keyed into Phil's commitment to the family and having fun.

That rings so true - the fun parent and the uptight parent and all of the complications that go along with that...and it was hilarious.

jk1245
11-19-2010, 12:52 PM
Luke: Dad's like crazy fun. You're nice though.

Claire: Oh, I'm nice????

Luke: Well, not now. :cool:

Phil's car is the "cone of truth"

"You cheated on me with choreography, which is the worst kind of cheating"

Hilarious episode

gytalf2000
11-19-2010, 12:56 PM
We watched this episode for the 3rd time last night and still cracked up all the way through. Gloria's accent can be so heavy at times that until I read it here I hadn't caught the "unbutton your shirt" with the gun part.

MGYG and Halloween are two of our favorite episodes so far. I'm just sorry we didn't get hooked on the show earlier in the season. It is nicely paired with Cougar Town too, that makes for a good hour of solid entertainment.

I definitely agree. "Cougar Town" is a very fun show, as well.

lorene
11-19-2010, 01:05 PM
"You cheated on me with choreography, which is the worst kind of cheating"

That was my favorite line of the episode. I love this show.

I hated CougarTown when it first started, but I have found myself actually hanging around and watching it the past few times it has been on. I may even have laughed once or twice. I'm not sure if it has improved, my standards have been lowered, or I'm just always on a high from Modern Family.

BTW, did anyone else want to shoot themselves last week when Modern Family wasn't on? I texted my husband from the train when I read it was going to be pre-empted, that's how distraught I was.

MPB in Salt Lake
11-19-2010, 01:14 PM
"You cheated on me with choreography, which is the worst kind of cheating.

Another excellent one-liner, which for me is waht Modern Family (and 99% of other sitcoms) is all about. The story arc is usually unimportant, but to hear a couple of random great lines each episode is what keeps me watching.......

corkboard
11-19-2010, 03:12 PM
Re: the flash mob- it appeared to me that Mitchell- or maybe JT Ferguson- was the worst dancer in the group. I don't know if it was intentional to show that Mitchell isn't the kind of guy who be a natural dancer, which made it so special that he did something spontaneous for Cam, or if it's that JTF just doesn't move that well. I was just wondering if anyone else noticed that.

muldoonthief
11-19-2010, 03:28 PM
Re: the flash mob- it appeared to me that Mitchell- or maybe JT Ferguson- was the worst dancer in the group. I don't know if it was intentional to show that Mitchell isn't the kind of guy who be a natural dancer, which made it so special that he did something spontaneous for Cam, or if it's that JTF just doesn't move that well. I was just wondering if anyone else noticed that.

I'd assume the easiest way to film a flash mob like that is to hire pro dancers, since they'll be able to pick up the steps the easiest & quickest. The actor being the worst dancer in the group is just a natural consequence of that.

Bill Door
11-19-2010, 03:45 PM
It made our TV room actually feel smaller.(snip)

It made my pants seem smaller, that's for sure.

GrandWino
11-20-2010, 01:31 PM
Anyone else catch Phil quoting Omar Little from "The Wire?"

"You come at the king, you best not miss." (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WP-lrftLQaQ)

carlb
11-21-2010, 08:33 AM
I love this show for many reasons, but perhaps foremost is what a revelation Sofia Vergara has been as a comic actress. I just assumed she was there for eye-candy, and to be the butt of jokes about the foreigner with the accent who has trouble adapting to American culture. Kudos to the writers for making her character completely three-dimensional (as well as to Ms. Vergara for being so three-dimensional :)), and to the actress for playing so well as part of a great ensemble.

I had the same reaction to Tricia Helfer in Battlestar Galactica - she turned out to be a much better actress than I had any reason to expect she would be.

I used to be in the Julie-Bowen-is-hotter camp, until the episode where they all went on vacation and we saw Bowen in a bikini. She's got a terrible pair of implants, and that just turns me right off. Call me shallow, but there you go.

PunditLisa
11-21-2010, 10:44 AM
I used to be in the Julie-Bowen-is-hotter camp, until the episode where they all went on vacation and we saw Bowen in a bikini. She's got a terrible pair of implants, and that just turns me right off. Call me shallow, but there you go.

I noticed the bad implants, too. Yikes.

PunditLisa
11-21-2010, 10:46 AM
So last night I went to a gala to benefit the Film Commission of Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky. One of the items auctioned off was for 4 people to go visit the set of "Modern Family." I think it went for around $4,000. No hotel/airfare was included.

Just FYI.

Acsenray
11-21-2010, 11:44 AM
I really dislike flashback episodes. The one last season at the hospital is probably my least favorite.

Acsenray
11-23-2010, 04:33 PM
"So what is it? Boys, bodies are changing, eggs?"

Eggs!

And Luke's reaction to being told that his parents were splitting up was pretty calm.

Acsenray
11-23-2010, 04:40 PM
Were all four driving brand-new variations of the same make and model of car? (Ford?)

fiddlesticks
11-23-2010, 05:00 PM
Just looked on Hulu...I don't think so...the only logo that was even visible (and it wasn't clear in the first place) was on the minivan Julie Bowen's character was driving. Looked to be a Toyota logo to me. I'm not enough of a car geek to recognize any of the other cars (two sedans and a crossover). Did not appear to be a piece of car product placement (Burn Notice has been pretty brutal in this regard for the past season).

Galileo
11-23-2010, 06:37 PM
The vehicles were:

Toyota Highlander with Gloria, Jay, and Manny
Toyota Sienna, with Claire and Luke
Cadillac CTS, with Phil, Haley, and Alex
Buick Regal, with Cameron and Mitchell

MovieMogul
11-23-2010, 06:46 PM
Does anyone know what Lily's last name is?

needscoffee
11-23-2010, 08:41 PM
Re: the flash mob- it appeared to me that Mitchell- or maybe JT Ferguson- was the worst dancer in the group. I don't know if it was intentional to show that Mitchell isn't the kind of guy who be a natural dancer, which made it so special that he did something spontaneous for Cam, or if it's that JTF just doesn't move that well. I was just wondering if anyone else noticed that.Mitchell's awkward dancing is what made it so funny. It was really out of character for him to be "spontaneous", but he's not a natural dancer, either, so it was a real stretch for his character to participate. Cam's halfhearted attempts to join in were just as bad.

alphaboi867
11-23-2010, 09:06 PM
Does anyone know what Lily's last name is?

Pritchett-Tucker.

Mehitabel
11-23-2010, 10:46 PM
Weird thing is, Jesse Tyler-Ferguson is a legit Broadway star in musicals. I've seen him in two myself. Looking at his credits, though, none were really dancing roles. I remember him dancing a bit as Chip in ON THE TOWN, but only in the NY, NY number. Chip spends half his time sitting still in Hildy's cab. And he was a klutz par excellence in SPELLING BEE, but he was playing an awkward 12-year-old to begin with.

For some reason I find the Phil/Claire scenes the most boring. Phil and Claire alone, though, can be gold. :confused:

Cute episode this time but the timeline made no sense, even for a sitcom.

tr0psn4j
11-24-2010, 12:17 AM
I noticed the bad implants, too. Yikes.

Do you guys have a picture? I never noticed.

Inner Stickler
11-24-2010, 12:28 AM
I found it by typing julie bowen modern family bikini into google. The keywords, they came to me in a dream. (http://www.popsugar.com/Photos-Modern-Family-Cast-Beach-7671695?page=0,0,18#17)

I dunno, they look like boobs to me. I'm certainly not knowledgeable on the subject, however.

PunditLisa
11-24-2010, 06:15 AM
Do you guys have a picture? I never noticed.

No, sorry, I didn't take a picture of it. But I can tell you that it was when she was sitting in a lounge chair. She moved her arm, which shifted her boob, and you could actually see an outline of the implant embedded under her skin. I'd never even realized that Julie Bowen HAD implants until that scene.

corkboard
11-24-2010, 07:46 AM
Her implants were very obvious in the episode in Hawaii, the scene with her and Phil in the infinity pool, or whatever it's called. For most of the scene she has her back to the edge of the pool and her elbows up on the deck, and her chest is sort of thrust forward. Ordinarily a pose I approve of, but yeah, they were obviously implants.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.