PDA

View Full Version : Chuck (4/18/2011): "Chuck vs the Wedding Planner"

Terminus Est
04-19-2011, 07:15 AM
Gary Cole returns as Sarah's father. It's always good to see more of Sarah's backstory. I forget: Where was Sarah's mother during her childhood?

There was something oddly disjointed about last night's episode; case in point: Awesome makes an appearance but not Ellie. It's almost as if the writers want to tie up as many loose ends as possible before the show's cancellation. AFAIK, there's been no news either way.

Best bit from the episode: Sarah trying to imitate Chuck during a flash.

Invisible Chimp
04-19-2011, 03:46 PM
Last week's thread I was the fourth and final reply. Now, I am only the second reply. Interest in weekly thread's for the show have dropped just like the ratings. With the ratings the show has been getting, I can't see any way it will not be cancelled. I will miss it. I still find the show entertaining.

Kathy to 'Alex': "You're a hero. You got everything you wanted." Casey's expression clearly said 'No.' Will Kathy and Casey get back together before the end of the season/series? I have liked this storyline. It gives Casey some humanity.

I also loved Gary Cole. I always love Gary Cole, from "American Gothic" to "Office Space" to this.

Hallucinex
04-19-2011, 04:15 PM
I forget: Where was Sarah's mother during her childhood?

I don't think we actually know much anything about her mother. This wiki page (http://chuck-nbc.wikia.com/wiki/Sarah_Walker) says that :
Sarah's mother was never mentioned until "Chuck Versus the Balcony", where she tells Chuck her mother's family owned a restaurant and that her mother and her family made it out of her dad's "nightmare proposal" with only minor burns.

D_Odds
04-19-2011, 04:17 PM
Kathy to 'Alex': "You're a hero. You got everything you wanted." Casey's expression clearly said 'No.' Will Kathy and Casey get back together before the end of the season/series? I have liked this storyline. It gives Casey some humanity. Baldwin was joking that a Casey romantic plot would need to be in the 10pm hour, not the 8pm hour.

Cute spin on the "Boy Who Cried 'Wolf'" storyline.

gytalf2000
04-19-2011, 04:45 PM
I enjoy seeing Gary Cole playing Sarah's dad -- he's great as a con-man!

And I loved watching Sarah mimic Chuck's flashing. Hilarious!

TBG
04-21-2011, 08:46 PM
I was impressed that Sarah could actually decorate a wedding "cake". My mom used to do wedding cakes, and that is not as easy as it looks.

DigitalC
04-21-2011, 08:51 PM
Little Sarah was incredibly adorable.

simster
04-21-2011, 11:02 PM
Little Sarah was incredibly adorable.

I'm still not buying 84$ worth of cookies -

Smeghead
04-22-2011, 09:22 AM
Last week's thread I was the fourth and final reply. Now, I am only the second reply. Interest in weekly thread's for the show have dropped just like the ratings. With the ratings the show has been getting, I can't see any way it will not be cancelled. I will miss it. I still find the show entertaining.

I don't know. I like the show, and watch it every week, but I'm starting to think it's been played out, and wouldn't be all that sorry to see it go. They've done everything they reasonably can do with it.

DigitalC
04-22-2011, 09:34 AM
They've had several episodes that would have made perfect series endings, this whole will it/won't it be canceled death march kinda kills interest. I still watch though.

Dewey Finn
04-22-2011, 09:35 AM
I don't know. I like the show, and watch it every week, but I'm starting to think it's been played out, and wouldn't be all that sorry to see it go. They've done everything they reasonably can do with it.I think I agree with that. The first season or so had the ongoing storyline about Bryce Larkin, followed by the storyline about The Ring, followed (I think) by the one about Volkoff, followed by the one about his daughter. Just how many criminal mastermind conspiracies can there possibly be?

Wheelz
04-22-2011, 10:21 AM
They've had several episodes that would have made perfect series endings, this whole will it/won't it be canceled death march kinda kills interest. I still watch though.
I think I agree with that. The first season or so had the ongoing storyline about Bryce Larkin, followed by the storyline about The Ring, followed (I think) by the one about Volkoff, followed by the one about his daughter. Just how many criminal mastermind conspiracies can there possibly be?These two points nail it for me. First we had Fulcrum, then the Ring, then Volkoff, etc. Chuck completely destroys each enemy agency, only to have a new one pop right up in its place, and it does tend to get old.

But, since they never know which episode will be the last, they need to keep having Chuck "win" in the end. This creates a kind of viscious circle that weakens the show's plausibility with each turn.

Terminus Est
04-22-2011, 10:25 AM
Chuck is still on the bubble. According to EW.com (http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/03/25/bubble-shows-why-v-chuck-event-and-other-might-return-or-might-not/):
Chuck (2.1, 5.9 million). Pros: A rabid fan base and perhaps NBC’s only drama that can blow up Twitter. Cons: Ratings have recently sunk below the usual minimum that midweek shows need for a pickup.
The Twitter mention is a reference to the We Give a Chuck (http://www.wegiveachuck.com/) campaign, where fans tweet companies that advertise or have products featured on the show.

gytalf2000
04-22-2011, 10:28 AM

I understand what you are saying about the "series endings". But it is still a fun show, so I continue to watch!

Saltire
04-22-2011, 10:37 AM
Hopefully, they'll also take into account the weird hoops the show had to jump through this season. They originally sold 13 episodes, so they had a big finale-moment with the defeat of Volkoff. But NBC extended their season to 24 episodes, so now we're in the second half season, which had to be written after the season had already climaxed. That sort of thing is bound to throw off the ratings a bit.

Dewey Finn
04-22-2011, 10:38 AM
At one point, I think the producers of the show talked about expanding the use of product placement to fund the show. I've never seen them do that much with it (or maybe it's been too subtle for me), which seems odd for a show that's got a big-box electronic store as one of its main sets. But this episode had a whole sequence set in a Supershuttle van. That's gotta be a paid plug. I didn't mind it that much, though.

Saltire
04-22-2011, 01:39 PM
You haven't noticed Big Mike's love for Subway sandwiches?

Dewey Finn
04-22-2011, 01:41 PM
OK, aside from that, which is such a blatant product placement that it's almost winking at the idea.

pancakes3
04-22-2011, 03:15 PM
they've gone a good amount of automobile placement too.

h.sapiens
04-22-2011, 03:38 PM
Well anyway, now Chuck and Sarah know that they don't have to pay a wedding planner. The two of them with Casey and Morgan can throw together a kick-ass wedding in an afternoon. They may want to get someone to bake a real cake, though.

Wheelz
04-22-2011, 03:45 PM
Did it bother anybody that, despite the windfall from Sarah's dad, the fake wedding planner still got away with their 26 grand? I wonder if we haven't seen the last of "Daphne Peralta"...

Smeghead
04-22-2011, 05:14 PM
These two points nail it for me. First we had Fulcrum, then the Ring, then Volkoff, etc. Chuck completely destroys each enemy agency, only to have a new one pop right up in its place, and it does tend to get old.

But, since they never know which episode will be the last, they need to keep having Chuck "win" in the end. This creates a kind of viscious circle that weakens the show's plausibility with each turn.

This is true, of course. But I think it's even more than that. They've gotten so far away from the original premise that it's lost a lot of what drew me in initially. By no stretch of the imagination can the show still be described as "regular nerdy guy trying to survive in a spy world". Chuck, and pretty much everyone he's ever met, is now a real-life full-fledged spy living in a spy world. The fact that their base is under a regular store is entirely irrelevant now, as evidenced by how difficult it is for the writers to shoehorn in the Buy More employees now and then. I still like the show, but I do think they've stretched the premise to the breaking point.

DigitalC
04-22-2011, 06:07 PM
OK, aside from that, which is such a blatant product placement that it's almost winking at the idea.

Or when Chuck and Sarah tail someone on Awesomes car and they go out of their way to point out all the features of the car? "i feel like a jedi" ring a bell?

Dewey Finn
04-22-2011, 06:25 PM
When was that? I don't remember that scene.

D_Odds
04-22-2011, 07:44 PM
When was that? I don't remember that scene.
They sold the Toyota Sienna better than a Toyota dealership.

TBG
04-24-2011, 07:44 PM
Last year there were even segments (during the commercials) about Morgan and the Awesomes going a road trip in the [car being advertised], much like how Heroes last year had the Tattoo-Lady and Ray Park shilling [phone being advertised].

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.