PDA

View Full Version : RIP Sarah Jane :-(

Quercus alba
04-19-2011, 03:31 PM
:(

Elisabeth Sladen dead at 63 (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-13137674?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter)

Ferret Herder
04-19-2011, 03:35 PM
Oh, that's too young. :( Thank you, Ms. Sladen, for helping entertain so many people over the years.

KneadToKnow
04-19-2011, 03:40 PM
I know of her work entirely through NuWho, but she seemed to enjoy being part of the Whoniverse.

RIP, Elisabeth.

Corner Case
04-19-2011, 03:40 PM
One of my favorite companions (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_EK76-Zpkw)...

aceplace57
04-19-2011, 03:45 PM
BBC entertainment reporter Lizo Mzimba said she had had cancer for some time.

:confused: She's been filming Sarah Jane Adventures for several years. I'm pretty sure she worked on the series last year. A new season starts airing sometime this year.

It's a shame. Best wishes to her family and fans.

aceplace57
04-19-2011, 03:54 PM
I Checked over at Gallifrey Base. They had about half of season 5 of SJA completed. Liz got too sick to work a few weeks ago.

gaffa
04-19-2011, 04:22 PM
I Checked over at Gallifrey Base. They had about half of season 5 of SJA completed. Liz got too sick to work a few weeks ago.
That is so, so sad.

She was great in School Reunion. It wasn't a great episode, but her scenes with the Doctor were really terrific acting. She stepped into that role after a decades long break and made us feel every bit of the sense of loss that her character would have felt when the Doctor had to disappear from her life.

"You were getting on with your life..."
"You were my life!"

Damn, I am a big weepy bastard.

JohnT
04-19-2011, 04:25 PM
Oh, my wife and daughter are going to be upset about this news. :(

Baker
04-19-2011, 04:27 PM
Tom Baker and Elizabeth Sladen were the first Doctor and companion I ever knew. I wasn't well acquainted with the Doctor at the time and didn't realize companions were temporary. When Sarah Jane left and Leela came along I was surprised.

I've since seen all the Doctors except for the William Hartnell, who started it all.

Sarah Jane will always hold a special place in my heart. RIP.

RikWriter
04-19-2011, 04:31 PM
Tom Baker and Elizabeth Sladen were the first Doctor and companion I ever knew.

Me too. I used to watch them on PBS.

gytalf2000
04-19-2011, 04:32 PM
I am very sad to hear the news. She was one of my favorites!

N9IWP
04-19-2011, 04:53 PM
Bummer. I liked her occasional apperances on the new Doctor Who

Brian

Two Many Cats
04-19-2011, 04:56 PM
Liz Sladen was one of the best. Sarah Jane Smith was the first "liberated" female companion, and I absolutely loved her. In fact, when I first started watching Dr Who, I kept watching the show because of her, not Tom Baker. Although that changed later. Became a big Tom Baker freak for awhile.

The Brigadier, and now Sarah. It can't get any sadder than that.

Unless, of course, Tom d...No! I won't even let myself think about that now.

Harmonious Discord
04-19-2011, 05:00 PM
The Brigadier and Sara both spanned a lot of doctors.

billfish678
04-19-2011, 05:03 PM
Damn,

63 is a bit on the young side. But its good to know she got one final good run (that she probably had a blast doing) for these last few years.

Peter Morris
04-19-2011, 05:24 PM
:( How sad. She was an icon of my childhood, the first companion I can clearly remember. Truly the end of an era.

I've never actually seen the SJA, are they worth watching?

Larry Borgia
04-19-2011, 05:26 PM
I'm sorry to hear this. I haven't watched the Sarah Jane Adventures, but I liked her work in both old and new Who. RIP.

RealityChuck
04-19-2011, 05:33 PM
It's sad to hear. I did like her as the Doctor's companion, and her return in "School Reunion" was a treat.

Pushkin
04-19-2011, 05:33 PM
While not part of my first Doctor/Companion combination, Sarah Jane was my favourite companion so far, sorry to see her gone :(

Chimera
04-19-2011, 05:58 PM
Damn it.

Scubaqueen
04-19-2011, 06:28 PM
So sad to hear this. :( She was always my first and favorite companion, and School Reunion in Nuwho is one of my personal episode favorites.

Too damn young to go at 63, fellow dopers. My heart goes out to her family. First the Brig and now Sarah Jane. Gotta go find me some tissues....

Noelq
04-19-2011, 06:28 PM

maggenpye
04-19-2011, 07:03 PM
Sadness at the 'Pye household.

We managed to have a relative tape all the (then) available SJA epsides (seasons 1-3) and had a great time watching them together. For those wondering, they're a simplified version of DW, aimed at a younger audience.

RIP Liz.

Jennmonkye
04-19-2011, 07:21 PM
I have to admit I teared up a bit earlier today when I heard. Goodbye, Sarah Jane Smith.

foolsguinea
04-19-2011, 08:17 PM
I didn't know she was ill. So this came as a shock.

GuanoLad
04-19-2011, 08:19 PM
The Sarah Jane Adventures is squarely aimed at kids, and the first couple of seasons are a little bit dodgy and overly earnest, but it soon finds its feet and last year's series was excellent fun with some really good bits.

So if you're willing to give it some leeway for being aimed at ten year olds, it's worth a watch.

The last story of the last series was called "Goodbye Sarah Jane Smith" which is eerily prophetic.

Archergal
04-19-2011, 08:21 PM
I absolutely adored Sarah Jane Smith, and I was so happy when she came back with the New Who episodes.

Someone on Twitter said
I'd like to think that Sarah Jane and the Brigadier are now teamed up for another adventure.

Now I am very sad. :( RIP, Sarah Jane.

Larry McAwful
04-19-2011, 09:45 PM
After years of feeling I should finally start checking out Dr. Who, I finally did back in January and have been completely hooked. I knew of Sarah Jane Smith, so I had no trouble keeping up when she reappeared on the show with David Tennant.

I'm only looking forward right now to checking out the old Tom Baker episodes; all that is ahead of me. Still, when I read about Ms. Sladen's passing, I felt as though I'd been punched in the gut. Still do. Considering the loss I feel, I can only imagine how it's hitting those of you who grew up watching her. I'm sorry for everyone.

gaffa
04-19-2011, 10:26 PM
Liz Sladen was one of the best. Sarah Jane Smith was the first "liberated" female companion, and I absolutely loved her. In fact, when I first started watching Dr Who, I kept watching the show because of her, not Tom Baker. Although that changed later. Became a big Tom Baker freak for awhile.
She and Tom Baker were my first Doctor and Companion.

Sadly, I never got to meet Liz Sladen, but the character she played was possibly my favorite companion. None of Tom Baker's other companions could touch her (possibly Romana II, though she was a Time Lord herself).

Banquet Bear
04-20-2011, 05:10 AM
...RTD's reaction:

"And then when I was working on Doctor Who, I simply thought that there was a great secret in the world, which was the talent of Liz Sladen. I just wanted to put her back on screen because I knew with all my heart the secret that every Doctor Who fan knew, which was that a great, great woman and a great, great actor was sitting there and not working."

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s7/doctor-who/news/a315527/russell-t-davies-honoured-to-work-with-sladen.html

I always wondered what the motivation was behind the Sarah Jane Adventures: it turns out that It was Elisabeth herself. Good on ya RTD, all is forgiven. RIP Liz. :(

A tear, Sarah Jane? No, don't cry. While there's life, there's

Galanthus
04-20-2011, 06:23 AM
Bah, there is a whole piece of my childhood gone. The first woman I ever had a crush on...

RIP Liz, you where great.

Lilacs
04-20-2011, 06:51 AM
I wanted to be Sarah Jane when I was a kid. She was my favorite companion by far. Liz always mad her seem real to me. So sad. I'll miss you, Sarah Jane.

Bridget Burke
04-20-2011, 07:45 AM
Damn. My first Doctor Who adventures were the ones shown here on PBS. With Tom Baker & Sarah Jane.

The Tin Dog heard from (http://www.dorktower.com/images/comics/DorkTower942.gif).

Darth Nader
04-20-2011, 08:37 AM
Here's something weird: For a moment, I seriously wondered who was going to take care of K9 now.

WhyNot
04-20-2011, 08:50 AM
The Tin Dog heard from (http://www.dorktower.com/images/comics/DorkTower942.gif).

Dammit, now I AM crying.

Whack-a-Mole
04-20-2011, 09:34 AM
RIP Elisabeth...

My favorite (and first) Dr. Who companion.

a35362
04-20-2011, 09:47 AM
Banquet Bear's link has another link to Tom Baker's reaction. Really very sweet.

GythaOgg
04-20-2011, 10:28 AM
Direct link to Tom Baker's tribute (http://www.digitalspy.com/british-tv/s7/doctor-who/news/a315581/tom-baker-consoled-by-lis-sladen-memories.html), as it takes some poking around from the previous link to reach it.

Sarah and Tom were my first Doctor and companion over 25 years ago. I discovered Doctor Who in college, and then a bit later met my future husband through a local DW fanclub. I remember the shock everyone felt when Ian Marter died (had met him at several conventions, lovely man and a talented writer besides). Now Lis is gone, far too young and far too suddenly. She is going to be VERY much missed.

Lasciel
04-20-2011, 02:57 PM
Oh how sad... I loved her in the little bits of Who I saw as a child (my version of multicultural TV was Dr Who...) and I was so happy to see her back on NuWho, and then to get a show of her own... it was just a lovely rebirth of a character.

I never even realized she was in her 60s... she always seemed so alive and vibrant. (Not that 60s are old either, but I thought she was 40s-50s, and it's a shock to find out I was so off.)

Damn. It had been such a good day until now.

kittenblue
04-20-2011, 03:03 PM
She was my first Companion, too, and I was stunned at the news this morning. Today is turning out to be a horrible day all around.

Oslo Ostragoth
04-20-2011, 04:52 PM
Damn. My first Doctor Who adventures were the ones shown here on PBS. With Tom Baker & Sarah Jane.

Ditto. Sadness reigns.

Scissorjack
04-20-2011, 05:05 PM
Everything has its time, and everything comes to an end.

O, this is sad, everyone after Sarah Jane was "the new companion" to me, and none of them quite measured up.

Scissorjack
04-20-2011, 05:16 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_EK76-Zpkw

I think I have something in my eye...

Attack from the 3rd dimension
04-20-2011, 06:58 PM

Why is that the one thing that made me tear up?

aceplace57
04-20-2011, 07:09 PM
I didn't realize Liz had children. She married several years before appearing on Doctor Who. 43 years to the same guy.

Sladen was married to actor Brian Miller from 1968 until her death. Their daughter, Sadie Miller, appeared with her in the range of Sarah Jane Smith audio plays by Big Finish Productions. As a child, Sadie appeared along-side Sladen in the 1996 documentary, Thirty Years in the TARDIS, wearing a replica of the Andy Pandy overalls Sladen wore in The Hand of Fear.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elisabeth_Sladen

a35362
04-20-2011, 08:48 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_EK76-Zpkw

I think I have something in my eye...

Man, Tom Baker sure was funny-looking for such a sexy guy.

Wait.

Man, Tom Baker sure was sexy for such a funny-looking guy.

Hmmm.... :dubious:

TBG
04-21-2011, 08:16 PM
The Sarah Jane Adventures is squarely aimed at kids, and the first couple of seasons are a little bit dodgy and overly earnest, but it soon finds its feet and last year's series was excellent fun with some really good bits.

Shame SciFi/Syfy gave up on it after a single season (not sure if was made up of one series or two, sometimes UK shows get shown in the US in funny ways like that).

What I did see wasn't bad. Yeah, a little kiddie, but hey, made a good counterpoint to the waaaaaaaaaaaaay adult only Torchwood.

Wile E
04-21-2011, 09:28 PM
Tom Baker was technically my first Doctor. I watched the show on PBS on occasion but I never saw them in any kind of order. So I vaguely remembered Sarah Jane when I saw her on the new Who with Tennant. Last night I watched an old Tom Baker Who episode with Sarah Jane on Netflix in her memory.

Might watch another tonight.

RIP

aceplace57
04-21-2011, 09:54 PM
I wish they'd release a dvd collection of Sarah Janes best episodes with Tom Baker or Jon Pertwee. Back then the companion often didn't have much to do. But, I recall there were a few great episodes where Sarah Jane played a bigger role.

foolsguinea
04-21-2011, 11:28 PM
http://doctorwho.livejournal.com/7430821.html

another cartoon with K9

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.