PDA

View Full Version : Survivor 4/20: Rice Wars

Munch
04-20-2011, 07:07 PM
I will now do my famous impression of Matt on Redemption Island:

"Wha...?!? What in the world??"

Every single week, his reaction to his new islandmate's appearance is one of complete and utter shock, as if he had no idea that people get voted off in this show. Granted, it's weird to have 3 of them on at the same time - but he has the same "An alien just landed in my camp and started doing the macarena!" reaction. It's even better since he's ALWAYS on Redemption Island.

Mahaloth
04-20-2011, 07:10 PM
Rice Wars, indeed.

Munch
04-20-2011, 07:12 PM
Am I seeing things right, or does Phillip have an extremely raw cut on his shoulder? That looks like it hurts. I think it was from the "leap under the table with a mouthful of water" challenge.

enalzi
04-20-2011, 07:47 PM
So, who has done more to set back race relations on Survivor, Phillip or Naonka?

Munch
04-20-2011, 07:53 PM
Phillip walks by the campfire and sits down. As he slowly and meticulously puts the final flourishes on his feather headband, he states unequivocally, "I am not crazy. I'm going to go meditate to Buddha up on that giant rock now."

Munch
04-20-2011, 07:55 PM
The only thing I'm surprised by is that Julie was voted out, and not Steve. I cannot think of a single person in the entire history of Survivor that I'd rather sit next to at final tribal council than the Former Federal Agent.

notfrommensa
04-20-2011, 08:02 PM
I am so mad that Julie was voted out. Not that I like Julie. But that Philip won't get his swimsuit back. Yikes, those pink panties are not a good look.

Philip looked so pissed off when he pegged Steve as the swimsuit thief and it turned out to be Julie.

Still notice that Philip does not identify which gov't department he worked in.

jayjay
04-20-2011, 08:06 PM
Phillip started talking about Richard Pryor and I said to supervenusfreak, "Did Richard Pryor come to him in a meditation?"

Mahaloth
04-20-2011, 08:07 PM
Next time he is without those pink tighties, someone needs to hide those and return his trunks.

enalzi
04-20-2011, 08:09 PM
I really hope, for all of our sakes, that the next challenge isn't one of those "crawl on the ground and jump in the water" type challenges.

jayjay
04-20-2011, 08:23 PM
Oh, and "Phile", Ralph? Now I KNOW you're just playing it up. I don't think he's spelled a name right on the votes since the beginning of the season, on his tribe OR the merged tribe. He's probably got a Masters in Agriculture or something and he's hiding his intelligence.

Munch
04-20-2011, 08:27 PM
I think if I were on the show, I'd want to do something to know which vote was mine, just in case there was similar handwriting or something. But it'd be a particular mark or something - not ridiculously spelled names every time. Though...it's kinda funny. Almost as funny as Phillip having not pronounced a single tribe name correctly.

And did he call Steve "Seth" at one point?

kiz
04-20-2011, 08:32 PM
I don't know...I'm beginning to think Phil's playing the batshit crazy card as opposed to being just plain crazy. I think there's much more to him than what he's letting on.

enalzi
04-20-2011, 08:35 PM
I don't know...I'm beginning to think Phil's playing the batshit crazy card as opposed to being just plain crazy. I think there's much more to him than what he's letting on.

No, there's less.

jayjay
04-20-2011, 08:38 PM
No, there's less.

"Mr. Bialystok was right! There IS more to me than there is to me!"

Lips_Obsession
04-20-2011, 08:39 PM
Oh, and "Phile", Ralph? Now I KNOW you're just playing it up. I don't think he's spelled a name right on the votes since the beginning of the season, on his tribe OR the merged tribe. He's probably got a Masters in Agriculture or something and he's hiding his intelligence.

I agree with this completely. I said the same thing to my wife about his spelling tonight.

silenus
04-20-2011, 10:25 PM
So, who has done more to set back race relations on Survivor, Phillip or Naonka?

Phillip is just crazy. Naonka was the ugliest bitch on the coast.

Ring
04-20-2011, 10:27 PM
I'll bet Rob had to some heavy convincing as to why it would be a very bad idea to to vote Phil off. The editing seems to make it pretty clear that some of the women really want him gone.

Thank God for Phil. Without him these would borrrring episodes.

Johnny L.A.
04-20-2011, 11:00 PM
The only thing I'm surprised by is that Julie was voted out, and not Steve.

I had the idea was that Rob had a plan: Vote for whoever admits to taking Phil's trunks.

Wheelz
04-21-2011, 07:28 AM
I'll bet Rob had to some heavy convincing as to why it would be a very bad idea to to vote Phil off. The editing seems to make it pretty clear that some of the women really want him gone.That was my impression as well. The Pagong-ing of Zapatera continues on schedule, but the editors did a good job of tricking me into thinking that maybe it wouldn't.

I was almost expecting one of the Zaps to say, "Anybody who votes for Phil can have all the rice they can eat."

stpauler
04-21-2011, 07:47 AM
I had the idea was that Rob had a plan: Vote for whoever admits to taking Phil's trunks.

If Rob is pulling the shots about whom to pick, he chose the right one. By keeping Phile busy with Steve, he won't notice it when it comes time to picking Phile off.

Morgenstern
04-21-2011, 07:51 AM
The only thing I'm surprised by is that Julie was voted out, and not Steve. I cannot think of a single person in the entire history of Survivor that I'd rather sit next to at final tribal council than the Former Federal Agent.

That's exactly what Rob is thinking. Phillip has final 2 written all over his little pink drawers.

In other news. I'd like to strangle Julie. We're now forced to watch Phillip dance around in his presumably unwashed underwear for the rest of the his season. Julie gets some sort pollution award for what she's done.

One would think the players would have figured out that the HII has been found (by Rob). I mean, no notes, no clues since the merge? That's got to mean something.

Munch
04-21-2011, 08:15 AM
One would think the players would have figured out that the HII has been found (by Rob). I mean, no notes, no clues since the merge? That's got to mean something.

Why would it? Even after Rob found the HII, they continued to get clues. Now that they merged, the clues stopped. It could just as easily be explained as "no one found it - so they took it back". Plus, Rob, Grant and Phillip are the only ones from that tribe that ever saw a clue - and Grant and Phillip only saw the one at that off-site location.

randwill
04-21-2011, 08:47 AM
Why did Julie admit to hiding Phillip's pants? Because Jeff asked? She was under no obligation to fess up.

Munch
04-21-2011, 08:51 AM
Why did Julie admit to hiding Phillip's pants? Because Jeff asked? She was under no obligation to fess up.

I got the impression that that tribal council lasted for a few hours, and there was a very strong sense of trying to smooth out a lot of unnecessary conflict.

silenus
04-21-2011, 08:51 AM
With Steve and FFA circling each other like rabid dogs, Ralphie is next on the chopping block. Then things get interesting. Where will the lines be drawn when there is no more Pagonging to do?

eta: Matt has set back Christianity more than the Fred Phelps ever did. Every week I find myself hoping that the IPU sends a shark to bite his ass, just as a lesson.

Morgenstern
04-21-2011, 08:58 AM
I got the impression that that tribal council lasted for a few hours, and there was a very strong sense of trying to smooth out a lot of unnecessary conflict.

That was actually one of Jeff's better jobs at TC.

Johnny L.A.
04-21-2011, 09:02 AM
Matt has set back Christianity more than the Fred Phelps ever did. Every week I find myself hoping that the IPU sends a shark to bite his ass, just as a lesson.

I had to laugh at the beginning of the show, with Matt praying. 'Dear Lord, you know I don't want to be here and I want to go home. But I'm ready to do your will and win the game.'

So if he loses a challenge and is voted off, God granted his wish to not have to compete anymore. If he wins the RI challenge and gets back into the game, and eventually wins a megabuck, then God intervened on his behalf.

I said out loud, 'What a weasel!'

muldoonthief
04-21-2011, 09:07 AM

I think it was just a hearty "F-you!" to the FFA? who was certain that Steve had done it.

silenus
04-21-2011, 09:14 AM
If he wins the RI challenge and gets back into the game, and eventually wins a megabuck, then God intervened on his behalf.

Rob has made this highly unlikely. Because he's been in exile the whole show, Matt has bonded with nobody important. Even if he survives to the Final 3, the jury is much more likely to vote the million to somebody who they watched play the game, not someone who spent his time alone. Sucks to be Matt, but that's God's will. :D

Munch
04-21-2011, 09:19 AM
Rob has made this highly unlikely. Because he's been in exile the whole show, Matt has bonded with nobody important. Even if he survives to the Final 3, the jury is much more likely to vote the million to somebody who they watched play the game, not someone who spent his time alone. Sucks to be Matt, but that's God's will. :D

Not if the final three are Matt, Rob and Philip.

Phillip: No one is going to vote for him - no one.
Rob: If he makes it, there's a 50/50 chance he'll have screwed a number of people over. (The other 50% chance is that he'll have screwed people over and made them think it was a compliment.)
Matt: Will have won the most challenges ever in a single season in the history of the game. He also has no bad blood with 4 of the jury members. And if Rob has screwed some people over, he'll have some sympathy. "Oh - you were screwed over by Rob? I was screwed over by Rob twice!" (Not that I think he could come up with a decent argument during his plea - it'll revolve around "if you think I deserve it...yadda yadda God yadda yadda...I'd be so blessed.")

PunditLisa
04-21-2011, 09:31 AM
I still feel really bad for Matt, who's been isolated almost since Day 1.

I hated Ashley less this week.

Still hate Andrea. I mean, the Ometepe tribe has been plucking off the Zapatera tribe one by one. And she has the audacity to go over to their tent and ask a favor. Here's what I would have said, "Let me get this straight. You've done nothing since the merger to indicate that we are anything but two separate tribes. You sleep together, you eat together, you won't even eat the fish we caught. You refuse to engage in any conversations with us, you don't go anywhere unless it's in pairs, and you are voting us off one by one. Why in the world would we want to share our rice with you, you self-entitled bitch?"

Okay, maybe I'd have left out that last part. But still. Some nerve.

That being said, I think they should have voted Steve off because he has a decent chance of winning immunity. Julie hasn't even come close. I wonder if it was a "vote whoever hid the pants" vote.

I don't think contestants should be able to burn/steal/hide clothes. What's to stop them from just stealing all their warm clothes and freezing someone out?

I was really annoyed that the challenge was another freaking puzzle. They practically assured that Rob would win immunity. So he's got immunity, the HII, and he's on the majority tribe. It's so anticlimatic -- which of the Zapateras are they going to vote off?

Phil has really gone cuckoo. Before he just said that he was a federal agent; last night he said that he was the counter-intelligence chief. :rolleyes: Of course, I feel the same about him that I did about Chief. Obviously he's mentally unstable. So instead of being amused, I more alarmed and ashamed that the normal people take advantage of him.

So next week, Ralph or Steve? Booorrrrrrrrrrrring.

Munch
04-21-2011, 09:33 AM
Before he just said that he was a federal agent; last night he said that he was the counter-intelligence chief

He's the counter-intelligence chief of the made up little in-tribe spy group he described in tribal council last week. He's not suggesting he's the counter-intelligence chief of the CIA or anything.

silenus
04-21-2011, 09:38 AM
I'm already looking forward to the season they bring back both Phillip and Coach.

jayjay
04-21-2011, 09:43 AM
I'm already looking forward to the season they bring back both Phillip and Coach.

"I'm a former federal agent!"
"Well, I was chased through the Amazon jungles by pygmies that wanted to eat my butt because I was kayaking in their underwater temple!"

Point goes to Coach...

Morgenstern
04-21-2011, 09:51 AM
. . .
So next week, Ralph or Steve? Booorrrrrrrrrrrring.

It may be boring from the suspense side of the game at this time, but the last 6 weeks probably will step that suspense up quite a bit.
A Rob win would represent the high water mark in game strategy. He's been in control from day one and he's kept the group united, even in light of Philip annoying them all.

StarvingButStrong
04-21-2011, 09:58 AM
I think Julie got chosen over Ralph because she's better at the social side of things, and I suspect Rob has a small amount of fear of the possibility of a "woman's alliance" developing towards the end.

I don't think he intends for the Pagonging to go all the way in order, because he's got to be majorly worried about Grant turning into a challenge monster, and if he gets to the end, he'd get plenty of jury votes. So in Rob's head, the desired order goes something like: Grant, Steve, Andrea, Ralph, Natalie -- leaving him & Philip (who everybody despises) & Ashley (who has been a total, and unpleasant, nonentity.)

At this point, Rob's biggest challenge is to find an excuse for getring rid of Grant without risking the cohesion of his tribe.

Minnie Luna
04-21-2011, 10:17 AM
Philip is one crazy son of a bitch. I really think the island is getting to him. I understand part of his craziness, though. He knows he is low man in his tribe. Chief Rob has blatantly said to hate on the Zaps, so in order to raise his station, Phil will do what Rob says openly and freely. Little does he know that all he is doing is playing right into Rob's perfect set-up. If Phil gets taken to the finals, no one will vote for him, they all loathe him.

IMHO, Jeff did a good job of attempting to diffuse the n-word situation.

I would have thought that Steve was the one going to RI, but I think Rob played his cards right in sending Julie. He stated at one point during the episode that he was sending people who could beat Matt to RI. Sending Steve just sent a similar physical threat to what was already there (Mike), sending Julie sent a different skill set that may be able to beat Matt if Mike can't.

It will get interesting once all the Zaps are gone. I do wonder if he will keep Ralph or Steve around an extra week and send home one of the girls.

muldoonthief
04-21-2011, 10:22 AM
"I'm a former federal agent!"
"Well, I was chased through the Amazon jungles by pygmies that wanted to eat my butt because I was kayaking in their underwater temple!"

Point goes to Coach...

They're both masters of an un-googleable martial art as well.

Wheelz
04-21-2011, 10:40 AM
It may be boring from the suspense side of the game at this time, but the last 6 weeks probably will step that suspense up quite a bit. Except that it won't be 6 weeks, it'll be 2; they usually go into the finale with five players left. All the fun of watching the Ometepes eat each other will be condensed into the last couple of episodes. I wish they could just fast-forward to that part now so we can see more of it.

silenus
04-21-2011, 10:43 AM
I wonder when they will abandon RI for the last time and fold that Survivor back into the tribe? Will they drop that person into the Final Five? That could get bloody.

phungi
04-21-2011, 10:48 AM
I wonder when they will abandon RI for the last time and fold that Survivor back into the tribe? Will they drop that person into the Final Five? That could get bloody.

I hope that RI does not spill one "Survivor" into the final 3...

magellan01
04-21-2011, 11:08 AM

I wondered that, too. I would have loved for it to be kept secret, just to see that shithead, Phil, dig a deeper hole. I think he spent the last ten years in a mental institution with Napoleon. What a colossal ass.

Prediction: the next one to go is Grant. He and Matt are the ones Rob has to fear the most. And Rob knows that at some point, his crew will have to turn on him. It would be hilarious if the girls were standing at the end, since they've done nothing except hide under Rob's wing. If Matt makes it to the end, I can't see how he doesn't win the million.

Munch
04-21-2011, 11:45 AM
It would be hilarious if the girls were standing at the end

Wow. That's a strong possibility. Who do you vote for? Would it be the worst Survivor ever? In a Survivor where Russell gets beat at his own game, Rob dominates and controls everything except the final regular TC, and you're left with Hear No Evil, See No Evil, and Speak No Evil - who wins? Ugh. I don't want to think about it.

FlightlessBird
04-21-2011, 11:45 AM
I hope that RI does not spill one "Survivor" into the final 3...
According to Probst about the RI & the 'final episode':
The final episode will have eight people still vying for a shot at winning. Eh. :dubious:
I usually try to find the best in each season (pre-merge, post-merge, post-pagong, ponderosa even) This may be the first season I'm having a hard time finding anything good to say:( Here's hoping the end-game gets interesting!

JXJohns
04-21-2011, 01:18 PM
Next time he is without those pink tighties, someone needs to hide those and return his trunks.

The problem is multiplied by the fact that they aren't tighties anymore. More like loosies.

The Controvert
04-21-2011, 09:47 PM
Sending Steve just sent a similar physical threat to what was already there (Mike), sending Julie sent a different skill set that may be able to beat Matt if Mike can't.This would make sense if only the winner of the duel stays and the other two go home. But if a single loser goes home, then Matt needs only to take second like he did in this week's duel. Which is easier if he is sandwiched by the other two, skills-wise.

GargoyleWB
04-22-2011, 04:33 PM

Phillip said "Wing Chun", but the closed captioning said "Wang Chung". Good for a chuckle :)

Amasia
04-22-2011, 05:24 PM
The problem is multiplied by the fact that they aren't tighties anymore. More like loosies.

I completely agree, but can't decide if it'd be worse if they were actual tighties.

John Mace
04-23-2011, 01:08 PM
They need to get Rob out. Now. Or at least as soon as he doesn't have the II. He needs to be blindsided before he can play his HII. It's 100% certain he gets the $1M if he makes it to the end.

magnusblitz
04-23-2011, 01:53 PM
Kinda unfortunate that this season turned into a Pagonging. I think Zapatera had a group of people that would've had a lot more backstabbing and strategy if they had the advantage after the merge; whereas Rob has completely controlled his tribe and has them all following his decisions to the hilt. We've barely seen anything from Grant and the three girls.

Obviously not knowing what will happen with Redemption Island throws things off, but I agree with John Mace: Rob just needs to blindside Grant, keep Phillip and Natalie on his side, possibly play the idol at the right time if needed and he wins the million easily.

I love Rob, but he hasn't been challenged in this game since the first weeks. I almost kinda wish Russell was still around to give him a challenge. (Almost).

John Mace
04-23-2011, 03:32 PM
It would be funny if Philip's whole deal is just an act to get him to the Final 3. Then, he turns into this utterly normal guy and says the whole "special agent' thing was a lie to make his character seem even nuttier.

I don't think it would do him any good against Rob, but he might sway a few votes if Rob gets booted.

magellan01
04-23-2011, 03:33 PM
They need to get Rob out. Now. Or at least as soon as he doesn't have the II. He needs to be blindsided before he can play his HII. It's 100% certain he gets the $1M if he makes it to the end.

Yes. I think it's between Grant and Rob. The one who blindsides the other wins. Except for those two girls. As the numbers dwindle their unified votes become stronger and stronger. After this next vote they need to form an alliance with anyone they can blindside someone. If they're smart, they'll grab Phil. Even if they make it to the final, he's the only one either of them can beat for the money. Still, if Matt makes it to the finals, I see him winning.

magellan01
04-23-2011, 03:38 PM
It would be funny if Philip's whole deal is just an act to get him to the Final 3. Then, he turns into this utterly normal guy and says the whole "special agent' thing was a lie to make his character seem even nuttier.

I don't think it would do him any good against Rob, but he might sway a few votes if Rob gets booted.

Ha! If he's that good an actor he doesn't need that million. Hollywood will be banging at his door. I think it more likely that as soon as he's voted off and snuffs out his torch he walks into the arms of two large men in white suits holding a straightjacket. "There you are. You sholdn't have run away again. Nurse Ratchit was very concerned about you." ANd then he turns and goes all Hannibal Lecter on Probst.

Lamar Mundane
04-23-2011, 04:21 PM

If you look at his resume on his LinkedIn page, he obviously has more on the ball than what we are seeing. He has worked for some impressive tech companies, and has his own business selling enterprise software. That's not like selling cars, you really have to be on the ball to sell million dollar software packages.

magellan01
04-23-2011, 04:30 PM
If you look at his resume on his LinkedIn page, he obviously has more on the ball than what we are seeing. He has worked for some impressive tech companies, and has his own business selling enterprise software. That's not like selling cars, you really have to be on the ball to sell million dollar software packages.

I checked that you as well. I also noticed that he had many jobs where he stayed just a year. I could see him getting hired and then everyone demanding he be gone.

phungi
04-24-2011, 02:15 PM

The interesting thing is that no one knows he has the HII... does anyone know the last week one can play the HII this season?

Spoke
04-24-2011, 03:18 PM
Pagongings are so boring. I wish the producers would figure out ways to shake things up when they see a Pagonging underway.

Lakai
04-24-2011, 05:08 PM
The interesting thing is that no one knows he has the HII... does anyone know the last week one can play the HII this season?

I bet that once everyone from Zapatera gets voted off, Rob will show Natalie and Philip the HII. That way he'll not only earn their trust, but will also scare them from trying to vote against him.

magellan01
04-24-2011, 05:48 PM
I bet that once everyone from Zapatera gets voted off, Rob will show Natalie and Philip the HII. That way he'll not only earn their trust, but will also scare them from trying to vote against him.

Unless Grant mentions it after he gets blindsided and says, after he snuffs out his torch, "By the way, Rob has had an HII for (6 weeks(?))". That would screw him up but good.

StarvingButStrong
04-24-2011, 05:51 PM
Unless Grant mentions it after he gets blindsided and says, after he snuffs out his torch, "By the way, Rob has had an HII for (6 weeks(?))". That would screw him up but good.

But Grant *doesn't* know that Rob has the Idol. As far as he knows, he and Rob are collaboarting to look for the Idol based solely on the first, useless, clue that Rob got alone and switched in for clue #2.

enalzi
04-24-2011, 05:52 PM

Grant doesn't know with any certainty that Rob has the Idol. They both saw the clue, but Rob kept the Idol to himself.

shijinn
04-26-2011, 10:21 AM
Pagongings are so boring. I wish the producers would figure out ways to shake things up when they see a Pagonging underway. the entire show is named after it. inexplicably however, the swing vote didn't go off as expected.

enalzi
04-26-2011, 03:00 PM
It's hard to predict when a Pagong will happen. For example, in Russell's first season, his tribe merged down 4 to 8, and it was pretty clear they were on the way out. Instead, they ended up voting out that entire 8 person tribe.

shijinn
04-26-2011, 10:00 PM
yeah, it's hard to predict what people would do. they created a wildcard whom you would expect to shake up the game and reserved the decision to play it exactly when the numbers would be even against even, and what happened?

Saint Cad
04-26-2011, 11:23 PM
At what point do the former Zapha . . . Zarpta . . . Saphatera (Sorry. I have a dry mouth.) tribe members realize that throwing the challenge to get Russell out may have been a really bad idea? Could anyone other than Russell get BR voted off?

Munch
04-27-2011, 08:44 AM
Can you imagine how ugly Russell's armpits would look at this point? He'd be a giant boil. They did that man (and us) a favor.

dflower
04-27-2011, 02:05 PM
If this has been mentioned before forgive me
I think that Phil is a plant, not a real contestant. He is an actor that the producers have planted in the show with a scripted character and plot. No way is he real. Why the question mark after "former federal agent?" How crazy can one be and still be selected for the show? And he gets stranger all the time.

Death of Rats
04-27-2011, 02:46 PM
Phillip said "Wing Chun", but the closed captioning said "Wang Chung". Good for a chuckle :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wing_Chun

Worked fine for me, but I Bing'ed. Maybe it is a Microsoft martial art?

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.