PDA

View Full Version : So, I just saw Thor... (no unboxed spoilers in OP)

Grumman
04-21-2011, 06:07 AM
Australia got to see this one first for a change, and how could I not take advantage of that fact?

A few key thoughts:

Do not watch this movie in 3D. It's the fake kind of 3D that is added in in post-production (when it's added in at all), it makes one of the three major locations darker than I'd prefer, and there's really not enough in the movie that made use of the added illusion of scale that 3D can provide. When it's done right, 3D is great. Here, it's a $3 surcharge to make your eyes ache.

I liked all the characters, including Loki. There were unexpected aspects to his role in the movie that were a pleasant surprise to me.

The actress who played Sif is hot. :p

There weren't many "That was bloody awesome!" moments. The main one that really comes to mind:
The giant monster cutting off the retreat of Thor's little cohort, until it receives a lethal dose of Flying-Thunder-God-To-The-Face.

All in all, it's not as good as Iron Man was, but the comedy and story meant it was still enjoyable.

Superdude
04-21-2011, 12:23 PM
Thanks for the review. I'll go see it, no matter how the reviews are here stateside. I've always been a comic book fan, and Hawkeye has always been a favorite, so I'll see the Avengers film, and all of the movies for the characters leading up to it.

Lightnin'
04-21-2011, 12:28 PM
The actress who played Sif is hot. :p

Jaimie Alexander (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1526352/)? Yes, yes she is.

Grumman
04-21-2011, 12:43 PM
Thanks for the review. I'll go see it, no matter how the reviews are here stateside. I've always been a comic book fan, and Hawkeye has always been a favorite, so I'll see the Avengers film, and all of the movies for the characters leading up to it.
Hawkeye makes an appearance in this movie.
He gets lines, but doesn't get to fight, so it's more of a cameo.

Antinor01
04-21-2011, 01:51 PM
I wouldnt care if the movie sucked, the guy who plays Thor is majorly hot. That's enough for me.

Grumman
04-21-2011, 06:45 PM
Oh, and while I think of it, some of you may have seen this synopsis:

Synopsis: Partially disabled medical student Dr. Donald Blake discovers his heretofore unknown alter ego, the Norse warrior, Thor.
This is a damn lie. At no point does Thor believe he's anyone other than Thor.

This is a good thing, IMO.

abbeytxs
04-21-2011, 07:37 PM
The really more important question, how much screen time does Idris Elba have? Yummy!

Autolycus
04-21-2011, 08:52 PM
By Odin's beard, Thor has a 92% fresh rating on RT. May it be met in battle in Japan post-haste!

Miller
04-21-2011, 09:10 PM
By Odin's beard, Thor has a 92% fresh rating on RT. May it be met in battle in Japan post-haste!

I wouldn't put to much stock in that. There's still several weeks before its actual release. Those reviews are probably from press pre-screenings, and the studios are usually pretty careful to only invite reviewers who can be counted on to write positive reviews to those things.

medstar
04-21-2011, 09:18 PM
I wouldnt care if the movie sucked, the guy who plays Thor is majorly hot. That's enough for me.

Yup, that's the reason I'm gonna see this movie. Chris Hemsworth is one of the handsomest men I've ever seen. I'm not too shallow, am I?

Antinor01
04-21-2011, 11:10 PM
Yup, that's the reason I'm gonna see this movie. Chris Hemsworth is one of the handsomest men I've ever seen. I'm not too shallow, am I?

If you are, then so am I. If we're both shallow, does that mean together we're...less shallow?

Spiny Norman
04-21-2011, 11:17 PM
- with only rudimentary CGI in places, so the live-action scenes is really all I can comment on.

I was entertained. Admittedly, having zero knowledge of the comics, but knowing plenty of the mythology, I was also rather confused at times. None the less - while it's definitely a popcorn movie, it's a damn well-made one.

Spiny Norman
04-21-2011, 11:26 PM
I wouldnt care if the movie sucked, the guy who plays Thor is majorly hot. That's enough for me. You'll be happy to know that the movie isn't exactly subtle about that fact.

YogSothoth
04-21-2011, 11:44 PM
At any point, did it feel silly with the costumes and apparently Loki's giant antenna helmet?

Autolycus
04-22-2011, 12:30 AM

I'd say you're just shallow enough :p

Little Nemo
04-22-2011, 12:45 AM
Jaimie Alexander (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1526352/)? Yes, yes she is.She's also in the current issue of Maxim.

Grumman
04-22-2011, 01:18 AM
At any point, did it feel silly with the costumes and apparently Loki's giant antenna helmet?
No, the costumes seemed fine to me.

And Loki didn't wear his horned helmet for very much of the film anyway.

Spiny Norman
04-23-2011, 03:53 PM

I think it was the good kind of silly - the vibe was very much "we're having fun with this". I never felt as if the actors were just looking for a paycheck, they seemed to have a great time with their roles. (Of course, they're actors, so what do I know?)

LorieSmurf
04-25-2011, 01:49 AM

Didn't he play Jim Kirk's dad?

Leaper
04-25-2011, 02:46 AM
According to the IMDB, indeed he did.

Illuminatiprimus
04-25-2011, 04:47 PM
If you are, then so am I. If we're both shallow, does that mean together we're...less shallow?Make that three of us - I nearly passed out when I saw that shot of him with his top off. He basically conforms exactly to every element of my preferred type.

- with only rudimentary CGI in places, so the live-action scenes is really all I can comment on.*Blinks*

Rudimentary CGI? Where? I'm usually not someone who is interested in CGI-fests because it tends to be done at the expense of a plot or story, but here the CGI was fucking INCREDIBLE! The shots of Asgard, Judenheim and the workings of the Bifrost were amazing.

I also loved the scene of dozens of laughing Lokis.

Miller
04-25-2011, 04:51 PM
Rudimentary CGI? Where? I'm usually not someone who is interested in CGI-fests because it tends to be done at the expense of a plot or story, but here the CGI was fucking INCREDIBLE! The shots of Asgard, Judenheim and the workings of the Bifrost were amazing.

He's talking about seeing an early pre-release, before the fx were finished.

Illuminatiprimus
04-26-2011, 03:53 AM
Ah, gotcha :)

Kobal2
04-26-2011, 04:37 AM
The shots of Asgard, Judenheim and the workings of the Bifrost were amazing.

Jotunheim. Judenheim is Hitler's nightmare :)

Azeotrope
04-26-2011, 11:36 AM
Make that three of us - I nearly passed out when I saw that shot of him with his top off. He basically conforms exactly to every element of my preferred type.

Fourthed. It's a superhero movie, so I'm not expecting Casablanca. I do, however, expect to enjoy the view.

RandMcnally
08-26-2011, 07:58 PM
Reported.

Doctor Who
08-26-2011, 08:03 PM
Reported.This guy is spamming a ton of threads!

twickster
08-26-2011, 10:07 PM
Another bump by the same spammer.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.