PDA

View Full Version : 30 Rock landmark episode

Horatio Hellpop
04-22-2011, 04:13 AM
They had Adam West on last season and Michael Keaton on this one! Maybe if they get Clooney to do an on-air cameo next year, this can be the first truly Bat-centric sitcom ever!

NiceGuyJack
04-22-2011, 04:47 AM
Has Val Kilmer been on yet?

Grapefruit
04-22-2011, 05:06 AM
Good bits... but it ran too long for me.

I liked the past, present, future Jacks.

Uncle Jocko
04-22-2011, 05:31 AM
I liked the past, present, future Jacks.

"It's after six. What are we, farmers?"

And don't forget Tom Hanks and his red phone of the Actors League, or whatever the heck it was. As he knits while humming the Bosom Buddies theme song.

fusoya
04-22-2011, 06:49 AM
Nice milestone for a show that everybody thought was gonna get killed by Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip when it was first announced.....

Somehow I doubt they would ever let Val Kilmer near the show.

I'm on a huge backlog of 30 Rock episodes. I might just have to do a season 5 marathon this weekend.

Bossypants is amazing, btw. Just sucked I had to work the night Tina did her Barnes & Noble signing/baby announcement. At least I still have my personally autographed copy of Mean Girls....

h.sapiens
04-22-2011, 07:46 AM
Every time they've hinted at Kenneth's advanced age, I always assumed they meant that he was like 80 or 90. But according to his tombstone at the end, he's 230!

Cluricaun
04-22-2011, 08:32 AM
I don't normally watch this show, I've seen a handful of episodes before, but I managed to catch this last night and I was laughing my ass off.

"I know, a man named Iilya. That's a giraffe's name!"

Skammer
04-22-2011, 08:53 AM
I loved that the beginning when Michael Keaton announced it was a last day and showed everyone a picture of "his girl" was finally paid off with him getting shot at the end of the day.

hogarth
04-22-2011, 09:12 AM
I loved that the beginning when Michael Keaton announced it was a last day and showed everyone a picture of "his girl" was finally paid off with him getting shot at the end of the day.

"I'm getting too old for this sh... sound that the leaking gas makes."

Acsenray
04-22-2011, 04:47 PM
Jack's speech on the roof about doing television was brilliant.

alphaboi867
04-22-2011, 04:49 PM
Every time they've hinted at Kenneth's advanced age, I always assumed they meant that he was like 80 or 90. But according to his tombstone at the end, he's 230!

I didn't get a close look at the tombstones, they all died on the same day, right?

kittenblue
04-22-2011, 05:08 PM
Michael Keaton? Oh, swoon! I can't wait to get home to the DVR now!

enalzi
04-22-2011, 05:09 PM

I thought the year was partly covered by a plant. You could only see the decade, not the century.

And after they started showing clips I was worried the whole thing would be a clip show, which would come off really badly after Community's episode.

enalzi
04-22-2011, 05:14 PM
I didn't get a close look at the tombstones, they all died on the same day, right?

Jenna and Tracy both died on March 17th, Kenneth "died" on the 31st.

Ephemera
04-22-2011, 05:22 PM
I thought the year was partly covered by a plant. You could only see the decade, not the century.

I paused it, and it was pretty obviously in the 1700s.

alfabex
04-23-2011, 12:34 PM
Liz's spit take was my favourite part. "I wasn't even drinking anything".

ThelmaLou
04-23-2011, 10:28 PM
How about, "It's not rape if neither one of you wants to do it."

I was shocked to realize that 2016 is only five years from now! Yikes!

Icarus
04-23-2011, 11:20 PM

Correction - Alec Baldwin's speech on the roof about doing television was brilliant! :D

msmith537
04-25-2011, 06:22 AM
"I'm trained to fight four guys."
"There are three more of me upstairs."

lindsaybluth
04-27-2011, 12:05 PM

The whole time he was saying it I kept going "I can't believe he's really saying it..." because Alec Baldwin is not typically self-aware.

Mtgman
04-27-2011, 03:56 PM
Check out Baldwin's speech at the dedication of his star on the walk of fame. It was very similar in content, less punchy, but very similar to the speech he gave in 30 Rock's 100th episode. He's very aware of his career's ups and downs and the fact that 30 Rock breathed life into what was a dead career.

I need to watch it again and see if they worked in a Beetlejuice reference because with both him and Michael Keaton in the same scene that would just have been right up 30 Rock's alley. If they did it was a subtle one that I missed on the first viewing.

Enjoy,
Steven

Gangster Octopus
04-27-2011, 04:01 PM
Check out Baldwin's speech at the dedication of his star on the walk of fame. It was very similar in content, less punchy, but very similar to the speech he gave in 30 Rock's 100th episode. He's very aware of his career's ups and downs and the fact that 30 Rock breathed life into what was a dead career.

I need to watch it again and see if they worked in a Beetlejuice reference because with both him and Michael Keaton in the same scene that would just have been right up 30 Rock's alley. If they did it was a subtle one that I missed on the first viewing.

Enjoy,
Steven

dead career? Huh? His career was far from dead.

Push You Down
04-29-2011, 04:31 PM
dead career? Huh? His career was far from dead.

...nope. He was a walking joke about "liberal Hollywood" and the only coverage he got was for ranting to his daughter about how she was a pig.

He was has-been territory.

Simplicio
04-29-2011, 04:55 PM
...nope. He was a walking joke about "liberal Hollywood" and the only coverage he got was for ranting to his daughter about how she was a pig.

He was has-been territory.

He was nominated for Best Supporting actor in The Cooler, just two years before 30 Rock started and he was in two Oscar winning films after that.

Exapno Mapcase
04-29-2011, 06:19 PM
Which happened at the end of 30 Rock's first season.

Push You Down
05-03-2011, 02:00 PM
whoa crazy! I would have put all of that in the early 2000s (i used to even own The Cooler.)

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.