PDA

View Full Version : Celebrity responses to Onion articles

MadTheSwine
04-23-2011, 12:10 PM
Do people parodied in the Onion ever respond or retaliate?

Arkcon
04-23-2011, 01:10 PM
I'm not a constant reader of The Onion, so fill me in, do they actually name celebrities by name with some ridiculous story, that would warrant such a response? I quickly checked, and 'tho some celebs appear on the first page, they're not spoofed personally, so I'd need to see a specific celeb and a specific story to look it up. Who, in particular, do you think got burned hard by The Onion?

Zeldar
04-23-2011, 01:23 PM
This is the first thing I thought of:
Victim In Fatal Car Accident Tragically Not Glenn Beck
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-faCh8BUEts

I'd love to see a retaliation to it.

Arkcon
04-23-2011, 01:25 PM
Here's a cut and paste of their entertainment page, just the titles, in most cases. Hardly offensive, IMHO, starlets have to endure every nip slip and upskirt being posted and archived forever, this all seems so harmless:

People Who Produce American Culture Warning Nation Ahead Of Time That Rest Of 2011 Going To Be Pretty Rough

Millions of People Prince William Would Never Deign To Speak To Captivated By Royal Wedding

Vacation-Bound Rush Limbaugh To Do Nothing But Golf And Respect Minorities For 2 Weeks

Author Promoting Book Gives It Her All Whether It's Just 3 People Or A Crowd Of 9 People

'Ghost Hunters' Enjoys Surprising 100% Success Rate

Writer Unwilling To Admit His Screenplay Perfect Fit For Justin Long

Lazy Event Planner Throws 'Bags Of Ice'–Themed Party

Jukebox Pretending Oasis CD Too Scratched To Play

5-Year-Old Critics Agree: Movie ‘Cars’ Only Gets Better After 40th Viewing

Celebrity gossip blogger Perez Hilton is writing a children's book entitled The Boy With Pink Hair to be published in September. What do you think?

Harry Connick, Jr. Dies In Piano Fire

Jesus Surprises '700 Club' With Walk-On Appearance

and here's a title with some of the text blurb

Keira Knightley Answers Fan Letter Way Too Quickly

ISSUE 47•11 | 03.17.11 | News

FORT WAYNE, IN—According to local computer programmer and Keira Knightley fan Tom Hayes, 38, the internationally known English film actress and model responded "much too fast" to the letter he sent just a few days ago.

*MODS* I'm not trying to rip off the Onion, if this is too much content, cut it away, I just don't want to look too lazy to browse a webpage

MadTheSwine
04-23-2011, 01:27 PM
I'm not a constant reader of The Onion, so fill me in, do they actually name celebrities by name with some ridiculous story, that would warrant such a response? I quickly checked, and 'tho some celebs appear on the first page, they're not spoofed personally, so I'd need to see a specific celeb and a specific story to look it up. Who, in particular, do you think got burned hard by The Onion?

There are 100's of them,maybe this thread isn't for you.

Arkcon
04-23-2011, 01:34 PM
Well, you could give me some, notice, my cut 'n' paste only has about 3 people mentioned by name. The Onion seems to be very abstract with it's satire, deliberately not naming people by name. I know celebs can be stupidly sensitive on some topics, but sensitive about the Onion? They can't be that dumb -- can they?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-172755/Dame-Edna-jibe-upsets-Salma.html

That story above used to be on Snopes, but has since been abridged, I guess her lawyers made some of a stick. Dame Edna even had a response, "She's just jealous that Dame Edna was originally considered for the role of Frida" :P

MadTheSwine
04-23-2011, 01:44 PM
Well, you could give me some, notice, my cut 'n' paste only has about 3 people mentioned by name. The Onion seems to be very abstract with it's satire, deliberately not naming people by name. I know celebs can be stupidly sensitive on some topics, but sensitive about the Onion? They can't be that dumb -- can they?

I give you the 3 people mentioned by name on your cut and paste.There are also 3 people mentioned by name(David Ortiz,Prince William and Mitt Romney) on the current front page.

I guess,for Arkcons benefit,I should clarify.Do the people parodied in the Onion ever respond to it?It doesn't have to be retaliation,maybe they are proud of it and enjoyed it,just looking for comments by the folks mentioned and what they thought of it.

mozchron
04-23-2011, 01:51 PM
Vice Preseident Biden apparently gets a kick out of the Onion articles about him (http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_theticket/20110128/ts_yblog_theticket/biden-thinks-the-onions-spoofs-of-him-are-hilarious)

MadTheSwine
04-23-2011, 02:00 PM
Vice Preseident Biden apparently gets a kick out of the Onion articles about him (http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_theticket/20110128/ts_yblog_theticket/biden-thinks-the-onions-spoofs-of-him-are-hilarious)

Thank you

Wendell Wagner
04-23-2011, 02:22 PM
Sometimes the people parodied in comedy decide to be good sports and play along with the joke. Consider Gerald Ford's reaction to Chevy Chase's sketches about him on Saturday Night Live:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/29/washington/29chevy.html

Moe
04-23-2011, 02:54 PM
A little while after this article (http://www.theonion.com/articles/this-american-life-completes-documentation-of-libe,2188/) came out, Ira Glass did a great segment on TAL about the Onion and their writing process. (I'm suddenly remembering, or misremembering, that I think the episode was called "Tough Room"). Not sure if his choice to do this segment had anything to do with the article, but he did mention at one point that he was a victim of Onion satire and that "it hurt".

Bijou Drains
04-23-2011, 03:09 PM
Janet Reno showed up on SNL right after she and Clinton left office. She went on the Janet Reno dance skit with Will Ferrell who played Reno.

Miller
04-23-2011, 03:16 PM
Janet Reno showed up on SNL right after she and Clinton left office. She went on the Janet Reno dance skit with Will Ferrell who played Reno.

George Bush, Sr, taped a bit for SNL after he left office, too, playing off of Dana Carvey's impression of him.

guizot
04-23-2011, 03:23 PM
The Onion seems to be very abstract with it's satire, deliberately not naming people by name. :confused: They often satirize (maybe even insult) people directly, by name, especially people in sports.

Bijou Drains
04-23-2011, 03:25 PM
Probably the most famous SNL cameo was Streisand showing up during Coffee Talk, the actors did not know she was going to be there.

MadTheSwine
04-23-2011, 04:13 PM

George Bush, Sr, taped a bit for SNL after he left office, too, playing off of Dana Carvey's impression of him.

Probably the most famous SNL cameo was Streisand showing up during Coffee Talk, the actors did not know she was going to be there.

I was hoping to hear Onion stories,not SNL.

Justin_Bailey
04-23-2011, 04:26 PM
I was hoping to hear Onion stories,not SNL.

I'm guessing the average celebrity has no idea what The Onion is.

ultrafilter
04-23-2011, 04:28 PM
The Economist posted a link to this story (http://www.theonion.com/articles/the-economist-to-halt-production-for-month-to-let,20090/) on their official Facebook page.

MadTheSwine
04-23-2011, 04:37 PM
I'm guessing the average celebrity has no idea what The Onion is.

Then I guess I wont be hearing stories about average celebrities.

Argent Towers
04-23-2011, 04:43 PM
Hardly offensive, IMHO, starlets have to endure every nip slip and upskirt being posted and archived forever, this all seems so harmless.

Endure? They do that shit on purpose because they want the attention.

Ellis Aponte Jr.
04-23-2011, 05:12 PM
There was a front page Onion story once that made Christopher Hitchens out to be a belligerent drunk who had to be "forcibly removed" from somewhere and I am certain that the real Hitchens publicly objected to this characterization - not that he made a big deal of it, but he didn't see the humor in it & said so. Some perfunctory googling failed to dredge up the response I'm referring to, however.

Cat Whisperer
04-23-2011, 06:24 PM
Here's a cut and paste of their entertainment page, just the titles, in most cases. Hardly offensive, IMHO, starlets have to endure every nip slip and upskirt being posted and archived forever<snip>

Endure? They do that shit on purpose because they want the attention.
That's what I was going to say - most women are aware enough to know when their nipples and hoohas are on display.

beartato
04-24-2011, 04:39 AM
I would think the bizarre, absurd, off-the-wall quality of Onion celebrity parody articles would not only be unlikely to cause offense, but also make 'retaliating' of little use. Is Keira Knightley going to release a statement to the press denying becoming obsessed with an autograph seeker? Is Jon Hamm going to clarify that no, he didn't tell some fan who constantly mentions him to her coworkers to shut up, as she was ruining him for everyone, it was just an Onion article?

Now, if we were talking about athletes, I'm surprised there haven't been more comments from those parodied. Some of the Onion sports stuff is pretty cutting (and much funnier than the actor/singer/performer stuff).

EvilTOJ
04-24-2011, 04:41 AM

From the article: "I saw the one of me washing a Trans-Am automobile in the driveway shirtless with tattoos all over myself and out there," Biden said with a smile. He took some issue with the story, though. "By the way, I have a Corvette-- a '67 Corvette-- not a Trans-Am."

I think a follow up correction article should be published. "We at the Onion take our journalistic pride very seriously, and strive to bring only the most current and accurate articles. It has come to our attention that the photo we used in our Biden piece had a Trans-AM photoshopped into it, rather than a '67 Corvette as was in the original photo. The Onion regrets the error."

Jonathan Chance
04-24-2011, 06:56 AM
This is the first thing I thought of:
Victim In Fatal Car Accident Tragically Not Glenn Beck
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-faCh8BUEts

I'd love to see a retaliation to it.

Fun Fact!

The actor playing 'Ramsey Chamie' in that (and the first phone in voice over) is one of my best friends in the world, Greg. He's done a couple of those now.

Zeldar
04-24-2011, 07:39 AM
Fun Fact!

The actor playing 'Ramsey Chamie' in that (and the first phone in voice over) is one of my best friends in the world, Greg. He's done a couple of those now.

Fun fact indeed. A glance back at some of the older threads on Onion topics and examples would reveal a serious discussion of the real identities (and credentials) of some of the video clip mainstays. Perhaps the most intriguing one to me is Clifford Banes and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_onion has others to rival him.

The Onion's TV show has left me rather cool, though. Too much, too fast, too cursory for my tastes. Works better in print and on YouTube.

Arkcon
04-26-2011, 12:44 PM
Well, sports figures would probably be the best choice for the O.P.'s question. Maybe they'd be more likely to "not get" satire, and not accept it as part of fame, and want to make a statement. But I can't Google "sports figure" and "Onion", or I'll just get the Onion article.

guizot
04-30-2011, 01:02 PM
The Onion's TV show has left me rather cool, though. Too much, too fast, too cursory for my tastes. Works better in print and on YouTube.I think they're worried that not enough people will know it isn't real if it's on the TV, so they push the absurdity further--which is too bad, because the best thing about the Onion video stuff is that it's so similar to the real thing. And that's what makes it good satire--not just more cheap parody like SNL.

BigT
05-01-2011, 03:17 AM
That's what I was going to say - most women are aware enough to know when their nipples and hoohas are on display.

True, but they still have to endure it still existing after they realize they made mistakes. I'm glad my teenage misadventures are not archived on film, that's for sure.

Not that I really feel sorry for them--that's the price of fame. Choose to go away and fade into obscurity, and no one will remember.

Nom_de_Plume
05-01-2011, 05:11 AM
I heard a story on NPR, where a film critic defended the Fast and Furios movies as being progressive. The host of the show, Michelle Norris, played a clip of the Onion doing an interview of the writer of the latest movie, Fast Five, that was just a 3-year old saying "I want the cars to go fast and some of them to explode.". It was very funny. (In my mind, I remembered her playing that clip for the actual writer of the movie which would have been more appropriate for this thread. However, when I went back to review the transcript, I found it was just a critic. Still, a good tribute to the Onion, having its clips played on NPR)

guizot
05-01-2011, 02:21 PM
I heard a story on NPR, where a film critic defended the Fast and Furios movies as being progressive. The host of the show, Michelle Norris, played a clip of the Onion doing an interview of the writer of the latest movie, Fast Five, that was just a 3-year old saying "I want the cars to go fast and some of them to explode."And that critic was full of it, because he was asserting that race in the movie was somehow dealt with in some new way that hasn't been seen before, which is nonsense. He probably just likes to see cars go fast and explode--like the 3-year old. He had to back-pedal and say that the childishness of the film was necessary so that the audience wouldn't notice that it was so racially progressive! :dubious:

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.