PDA

View Full Version : The Voice [season thread]

Stoid
04-23-2011, 06:55 PM
Well, I jsut watched the 10 minute preview and I think it's going to be great fun. Cool premise, a very different take.

DMark
04-24-2011, 01:01 PM
There is a show starting next week called "The Voice"?!
Gee - you would think NBC would do a few promos or somethin'...*

*extreme sarcasm, due to the non-stop, 36 promos per hour on this show.

John Mace
04-24-2011, 01:19 PM

*extreme sarcasm, due to the non-stop, 36 promos per hour on this show.

They're probably assuming they'll get all the Dune fans to automatically tune in.

aceplace57
04-26-2011, 06:28 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing it.

A few years ago, NBC did Clash of the Choirs. There were celebrities "leading" each choir and they picked the people for the choirs. Later, I read there was actually a real choir director behind the scenes training them. Nick Lachey's choir won that time.

I bet there's real behind the scenes vocal coaches on hand to help train on this show too. A great singer like Christina Aguilera doesn't necessarily have any experience as a vocal coach.

Blake Shelton was on Clash of the Choirs and now The Voice.

aceplace57
04-26-2011, 08:27 PM
I'm counting on the Dope to report back and lets us know if this was any good. Most of the South is under weather warnings. No tv for us tonight. :( I've been looking forward to this show for three weeks. :(

GrandWino
04-26-2011, 09:44 PM
We're enjoying it. Love most of the song choices people are making.

Cat Whisperer
04-26-2011, 10:42 PM
I'm LOVING it - it's so exciting! I am missing the geeks and freaks from AI, though - these are all good singers - some just aren't finding a home.

And FRENCHIE'S BACK! I thought that was her when I saw her (I missed the name), and Cee-Lo recognized her right away.

Stoid
04-27-2011, 08:59 AM
So far I like it a lot. We'll see how compelling it is once the coaching is underway.

DMark
04-27-2011, 10:06 AM
Couple of comments:
How were the singers chosen to perform - who were the "judges" who picked those who get to audition and what was that process?

Picking the first couple of singers is easy - just go for it - but as their group starts to get nearer and nearer to the magic number of 8, are they going to get pickier?

And if three of the judges get their 8, does that mean the last one has to take the next singers or can they just say, "no...no...no...no..." until they hear someone they like? If so, this could take months. Do the judges know there are only, for instance, 40 singers to choose from?

So far, the show is not horrible - but none of the singers has exactly "wowed" me.

BTW, the episode is being repeated again tonight, in case anyone missed the first one due to not seeing the 4,879 promos leading up to this show.

Stoid
04-27-2011, 10:32 AM
I'm guessing they spent a boatload of money getting the four judges onboard, so they really need to make this a hit.

Does anyone know if Ceelo has a specific genetic condiiton or something (such as mild dwarfism of some kind?) that makes his limbs so...well, dwarf-like? Cuz it seems like something a little more pronounced than just normal genetic variation.

And while I don't always like her choices, I've recently come to agree that Christina really does have one of, if not the greatest voice of her generation. And definitely the best and most interesting of all the supervoice "divas" (Celine, Whitney, Mariah, any other completely boring great voice)

I like that they played "Crazy" for the performance song.

Cat Whisperer
04-27-2011, 11:07 AM
I really liked the performance to open the show - what an interesting group of very talented, different singers singing together. And who knew Adam Levine could play the drums?!?

Biggirl
04-27-2011, 11:13 AM
Christina Aguilera looks machine-made. And did she purposely wait for Adam Levine to turn around for neck-tat woman before she did?

I wonder what this mentoring will entail.

Stoid
04-27-2011, 11:48 AM
Your comments are always worth it, Biggirl.

aceplace57
04-27-2011, 01:44 PM
I wonder how versatile some of these singers are. Like the bald chick that sounds like Janis Joplin. A great novelty act, but can she sing anything else in her own style?

I'm curious to see which of these singers have any real training. It's hard to beat college vocal classes. They should be more coachable. An untrained singer can have a great natural voice. But, may be harder to coach if they don't read music, or have any musical experience.

Cat Whisperer
04-27-2011, 03:48 PM
Christina Aguilera looks machine-made. And did she purposely wait for Adam Levine to turn around for neck-tat woman before she did?

I wonder what this mentoring will entail.
I got the impression from the show that the stars were engaging in hijinks (Adam Levine especially), but that made it more entertaining, so yay! It was fascinating to see how the criteria were changing throughout the evening - at the start, getting one star to want you was great. By the end, I was judging people by how many stars they got interested.

I did feel sorry for the ones that got no interest. I didn't always hear what made them want one singer over another one. I think the 56 year old from Jersey might have gotten picked if she hadn't chosen such a dated song to sing.

Brynda
04-28-2011, 08:18 PM
Holy crap, that was fun! This is the premise that American Idol should be using this year. Celebs make better coaches that judges.

Cat Whisperer
04-28-2011, 09:06 PM
<snip> Celebs make better coaches that judges.
That's it - that hits the nail on the head why this show is so much more fun than AI.

Sam Stone
04-29-2011, 02:11 AM
I just got around to watching this on the DVR, and I have to agree - It was a lot of fun to watch. I liked watching the celebrities try to fake each other out with the button, and trying to sell themselves to unknowns. It helps that - surprisingly - the celebrities have fairly engaging personalities. They all seemed likable - even the guy from Maroon 5, who I always thought was kind of a weasel. I'll be tuning in for the next episode.

FinnAgain
04-29-2011, 02:16 AM
They're probably assuming they'll get all the Dune fans to automatically tune in.

I don't watch tv... that's why I opened the thread, though.

Troppus
05-01-2011, 06:56 PM
God, I've been on this planet quite a while, but I don't think I've ever loved a female voice as much as Xenia's. (http://www.nbc.com/the-voice/artists/xenia/video/)(and I was weaned on Heart and Joan Osborne) And Xenia's a kid??? Wow.

Thudlow Boink
05-01-2011, 11:01 PM

*extreme sarcasm, due to the non-stop, 36 promos per hour on this show. Before you run and hide
He's gonna get you
You got no choice
Because you can't escape The Voice
[/The Alan Parsons Project]

aceplace57
05-03-2011, 10:53 PM
Well they have their 32 vocalists selected. Most of those faces are just a wild blur in my mind. I find it impossible to remember any of them except the bald chick that sings like Janis Joplin. Her unique look is a bit unforgettable. :D :D

I wonder if they'll address stage presence during the training? Having a great voice isn't enough. You have to sell yourself on stage. That dude singing Cee Lo's song looked like a wild mountain man. They need a weed eater to whack back that beard.

I'm curious to see if any of the 2nd chance rejects get very far. I could tell Adam wasn't very enthusiastic about his last two picks. He had no choice except take them.

WhyNot
05-03-2011, 10:59 PM
I wonder if they'll address stage presence during the training? Having a great voice isn't enough. You have to sell yourself on stage. That dude singing Cee Lo's song looked like a wild mountain man. They need a weed eater to whack back that beard.

That's the part I'm dreading. All this hype about "the voice" and the blind audition and how some awesome voices in the 70s were funny looking people, and yet you just know eventually there will be a big makeover episode, right? I hope I'm wrong, but...

Sam Stone
05-04-2011, 11:56 AM
I enjoyed the blind auditions, and I hope the next part is okay, but I have to say that from the promos it looks lame. Singing battles? Complete with a faux boxing ring? Singers trying to outwail each other in duets? Ugh. A format guaranteed to reward the power singers and destroy any nuance or subtlety that makes a singer truly great.

I hope I'm wrong, but when I saw that I had a visceral negative reaction to the whole concept.

notfrommensa
05-04-2011, 12:04 PM
I saw parts of the first two episodes. How many times did Carson Daly tell us that the Cee Lo, Adam, etc only hear the voices, and do not see the contestants.

I get it Carson, they are blind auditions.

aceplace57
05-04-2011, 12:14 PM
I'm worried too. Especially the boxing ring. That seems pretty lame.

I enjoyed the blind auditions, and I hope the next part is okay, but I have to say that from the promos it looks lame. Singing battles? Complete with a faux boxing ring? Singers trying to outwail each other in duets? Ugh. A format guaranteed to reward the power singers and destroy any nuance or subtlety that makes a singer truly great.

I hope I'm wrong, but when I saw that I had a visceral negative reaction to the whole concept.

Cat Whisperer
05-04-2011, 02:53 PM
I hope they show us more coaching and less screeching. My wager - I think CeeLo will end up being the best coach, with Blake in second place. I would fall off my chair in surprise if Christina turns out to be a good coach, but stranger things have happened.

aceplace57
05-06-2011, 12:40 AM
Background article on the previous career experience of the various Voice contestants. A lot of them have experience as background singers, musical theater, songwriting, and even acting.

I have no problem with that. For me, I think shows like this are supposed to be for struggling musicians that are good enough to get some professional work. But, they never landed that recording contract and the big time concert tour. If an absolute novice waltzes in here and wins this thing I'll be very surprised.

Several of the singers are profiled here with their prior experience.
http://popwatch.ew.com/2011/05/04/the-voice-raquel-castro-tori-taylor/

BottledBlondJeanie
05-08-2011, 01:33 PM
Watched it yesterday online. Very surprised by how much I loved it. Jeff Jenkins, was amazing. http://www.nbc.com/the-voice/artists/jeff-jenkins/video/

And, I'm in love with Blake Shelton. His tweets are hilarious. And 6'5", woohoo!

BottledBlondJeanie
05-08-2011, 01:35 PM
Here's a better link for Jeff: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhbUQTfYMvA

Cat Whisperer
05-10-2011, 10:18 PM
This is interesting. There are singers looking daggers at each other; I have a feeling claws are coming out when the singers are going head-to-head.

pinkfreud
05-10-2011, 10:21 PM
I watched this show for the first time tonight, so I don't have any preconceptions about the singers, but it seems to me that Tyler Robinson wuz robbed.

Brynda
05-10-2011, 10:28 PM
I liked the duets tonight. It was nice to be able to hear them head to head, singing the same song. I agreed with all the choices except for picking the girl singer in the Leather and Lace duet. I liked her voice, but she seemed really scared. I thought the guy edged her out.

aceplace57
05-10-2011, 10:44 PM
I'm relieved the only bad blood was between the two black ladies in the first round. The others all seemed like good sports that appreciated this once in a lifetime chance.

Agreed. I' m surprised the high school girl was picked. She needs some time to mature and train. I would have gone with the guy too.
I agreed with all the choices except for picking the girl singer in the Leather and Lace duet. I liked her voice, but she seemed really scared. I thought the guy edged her out.

I knew that first girl eliminated had an attitude. I guess it runs in the family. I wonder if they keep the families further away from now on?
coach Christina Aguilera, who is known for her warm demeanor towards hopefuls and for bestowing hugs on the talent she chooses for her team, had to call security because she was attacked by one of the contestant’s family members!

Apparently, here’s a loose account of what went down: There was a sing-off between Tarralyn Ramsey and Frenchie Davis, the latter of which is a former ‘American Idol’ contestant from a few years back as well as a Broadway singer, so if her name rings a bell, that’s why. Things got tense after the two sang Beyonce‘s ‘Single Ladies (Put a Ring On It)’ and a family member attacked Xtina. It was not clear whose family member felt the need to go after Aguilera, either.
http://popcrush.com/christina-aguilera-attacked-battles-rounds-the-voice/

Cat Whisperer
05-10-2011, 10:44 PM
Psst - I started a thread for this week's "The Voice" competitions. (http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=608036) :)

Sam Stone
05-10-2011, 10:49 PM
I don't like the format at all. Having them sing duets head-to-head doesn't make much sense from an artistic standpoint, and I noticed a couple of them had to add extra glory notes at the end to try to get the 'last word' in. Not my cup of tea. I did like most of the singers, though, and I thought the judges made the right choices.

The best part of the night for me was when I saw Paul Mirkovitch behind the piano. He was the musical director for "Rock Star Supernova", and the leader of "The House Band", which is by far the best band any of these shows have ever had. So I looked up the band online, and sure enough, it's mostly the same guys. They have a new lead guitarist, but all the rest of them are the same. So at least we'll get good music behind the singers. It bodes well for the quality of the live shows once we get these 'battle' rounds out of the way.

Brynda
05-10-2011, 11:04 PM
I thought the singers sounded better than on AI, mostly due to better sound production and a better band.

Cat Whisperer
05-11-2011, 11:23 AM
If the show continues, I'm not sure they'll do head-to-head singing again, but it is interesting to see a different take on the usual competition. In this instance I think I prefer American Idol's method of making people team up and perform as a team - I think that particular crucible makes or breaks the potential contestants with all its various stresses and problems.

I would have preferred the geek with the beard (Tyler) to have been chosen over the other guy (hey, did you know Tyler was GAY?!? he may have mentioned it once or 15 times).

DMark
05-11-2011, 12:18 PM
I thought Gay boy got robbed by pretty boy Country singer, who wasn't all that pretty when he thought he was about to lose.

Frenchy seems like a bitch on wheels - granted, a decent voice, but I hardly think audiences are going to vote for her endearing personality. Plus, it might not be such a good strategy to mention being booted from American Idol every third sentence...makes her seem like a loser with a chip on her shoulder.

The other two girls were both about equal, but I would have picked the black chick simply because she really looked like she wanted to win the most of anyone who sang all night.

The dude singing with the girl was OK, but hated the hat.

Stoid
05-11-2011, 01:40 PM
I would have preferred the geek with the beard (Tyler) to have been chosen over the other guy (hey, did you know Tyler was GAY?!? he may have mentioned it once or 15 times).

I think just about everyone agrees with this, it seems, and I venture that he lost precisely because he's gay. Blake looked pained when he made his decision in a way that suggested to me he knew he was making the choice for the wrong reason.

Cat Whisperer
05-11-2011, 01:58 PM
Hmm, I hadn't even thought of that. Guess Tyler shouldn't have come out just yet. First you win, then you rub all their faces in it.

Folacin
05-11-2011, 02:44 PM
I think just about everyone agrees with this, it seems, and I venture that he lost precisely because he's gay. Blake looked pained when he made his decision in a way that suggested to me he knew he was making the choice for the wrong reason.

Yeah - the strong feeling in our house was that Blake didn't think he could defend having a gay guy on his team to the rest of country music. Yes, that is a bigoted response to a potentially bigoted choice (just to attempt to defuse that line of discussion).

aceplace57
05-11-2011, 02:49 PM
The Jokes on Blake. He's still picked a gay guy. :D Did you notice the awkward silence when Reba asked the County singer about gf's?

Doesn't matter to me. It's about The Voice not who they spend time with.

With this format it's going to be tough learning names. We won't see Frenchie, the country dude etc. again until a month from now. Next week is 4 more strangers.

Cat Whisperer
05-12-2011, 12:18 AM
I was thinking about this a bit more - did Blake find out Tyler was gay after he picked him? In that case, he sounds like a real shit if he dumped him because he was gay (and apparently you can't be gay in country music - or should I say, openly gay, since I'm sure there are gay people in country music).

Spice Weasel
05-12-2011, 08:19 AM
I was thinking about this a bit more - did Blake find out Tyler was gay after he picked him? In that case, he sounds like a real shit if he dumped him because he was gay (and apparently you can't be gay in country music - or should I say, openly gay, since I'm sure there are gay people in country music).
My country music hero. (http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/marc_malkin/b235032_country_singer_chely_wright_engaged.html)

For all I know, coming out killed her career, but still.

WhyNot
05-12-2011, 08:25 AM
My country music hero. (http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/marc_malkin/b235032_country_singer_chely_wright_engaged.html)

For all I know, coming out killed her career, but still.

Jeebus...the first "hitmaking country singer" to come out of the closet did so in May of 2010?! Oy. :smack:

Has there been a second? I'm guessing not...

Cat Whisperer
05-12-2011, 11:28 AM
I guess if you consider k.d. lang a country singer, there's two. Doesn't look like there's any openly gay men country singers. (My Google search also returned "related search - Country singer Kenny Chesney" - maybe Google knows something we don't? :) )

Brynda
05-12-2011, 12:02 PM

Not me. I liked Patrick's voice better, not his sexuality. I don't think it is fair to Blake to speculate that he made his decision on anything other their singing.

Biggirl
05-17-2011, 09:36 PM
I interrupt this The Voice thread to say: Yay! The Sing Off is coming back!

I now return you to the thread in progress. . .

Soooo Christina thinks Large Afro Guy has a nice package. Too bad he'll not be around long enough for her to inspect it. Ba da bum tissshh

Biggirl
05-17-2011, 09:42 PM
Also, and I know this has been mentioned many times already, but Cee-Lo's little T-Rex arms bother the heck out of me.

aceplace57
05-17-2011, 10:02 PM
Some of these matchups and songs don't make sense. Everybody knows Beverly (bald chick) can rock a power ballad. So they give her another one?? WTF is the point? If you want to test her then make her sing something soft and melodic. Find out if she has any control of that voice.

Beginning to doubt this is a real competition to find the best voice. Even Christina commented that she knew that song she gave Beverly would bring down the house. So What? :confused: First this is supposed to be testing and stretching these artists. If this is all about getting people to sing popular songs and get people clapping, it seems a bit pointless. I can hear those songs, sung by the original artists anytime I want.

Cat Whisperer
05-17-2011, 10:16 PM
Nakia and Tje (the first dudes singing "Closer") really did a nice duet - I liked Nakia's smoother voice paired with Tje's growlier voice. Um, who got kicked off? I thought Cee-Lo said "Kia," but Tje looked like he was celebrating his victory. ???

Biggirl
05-17-2011, 10:23 PM
Nakia and Tje (the first dudes singing "Closer") really did a nice duet - I liked Nakia's smoother voice paired with Tje's growlier voice. Um, who got kicked off? I thought Cee-Lo said "Kia," but Tje looked like he was celebrating his victory. ???

The fat white guy.

Cat Whisperer
05-17-2011, 10:27 PM
Thanks, Biggirl. Everyone should be so happy to get kicked off!

I think I could really develop a dislike for that couple (Elenowen?). And if I never hear, "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" again as long as I live, I think I'd be okay with that.

ETA: And they're gone! Too bad for them.

Cat Whisperer
05-17-2011, 11:04 PM
The shrieking bald lady makes it through. Too bad; I think she has a very limited talent.

Brynda
05-19-2011, 10:50 AM
Tje got kicked off, Nakia made it. That was a hard pick, but I would have agreed. Tje has a nice, smooth voice, but Nakia's voice was more interesting to me.

notfrommensa
05-19-2011, 11:20 AM
I don't know if this is means anything in particular but:

Javier Colon is playing as a one of the "celebrities" in the BMW Charity Pro-Am on the Nationwide Golf Tour (http://www.pgatour.com/2011/tournaments/h037/05/16/celebrities/index.html) this weekend.

The Nationwide Golf tour is a Developmental tour for the PGA Tour.

Biggirl
05-19-2011, 11:34 AM
I agreed with all of the pro picks I saw. I didn't see Adam Levine's duet, though.

Cat Whisperer
06-07-2011, 09:12 PM
The Voice live performances (suitable for voting on) tonight. The opening number with the stars singing Queen was...so close to incredible. Christina should have sang Freddy Mercury dead straight - she's one of the artists who actually can.

notfrommensa
06-07-2011, 09:55 PM
I have a got a severe case of Male Pattern Baldness.

Who would have thought I have more hair than two of the singers (both women, combined) on Christina's team?

aceplace57
06-07-2011, 10:08 PM
I'm stunned at the level of performance they delivered tonight. Eight of the aspiring singers. Plus Blake on stage with his four singers covering a Maroon 5 song. :D Christina and her girls belting out Lady Marmalade.

I can't remember how long ago that I've seen this level of star performances. You couldn't possibly pack any more into two hours. How did they ever get these superstars to work their asses off performing on the Voice? Crossing over into various genres. Incredible stuff.

I'm not sure who I'll vote for. Right now it's all one delicious, satisfying wave of sound. :p

The Voice live performances (suitable for voting on) tonight. The opening number with the stars singing Queen was...so close to incredible. Christina should have sang Freddy Mercury dead straight - she's one of the artists who actually can.

infinitii
06-07-2011, 10:13 PM
I'm a huge fan of Dia Frampton, as her band Meg & Dia is one of my favourites. That being said, she wiped the floor with everyone tonight. Go Dia!

aceplace57
06-07-2011, 10:47 PM
I think Christina created a Mini-Me with Raquel Castro. :D Same over the top makeup, ridiculous F-Me spike heels, boobs practically falling out the top.

That look made Christina a very rich woman. There's probably room out there for Mini-Me too. Frenchie is another favorite of mine on that team.

I like the country guy Patrick Thomas and Dia Frampton best on Blakes team. They need to stay.

Voting is trick because every team loses two people next week. That means one team may lose someone really good while another team's weaker person stays. It is still fair. Every team takes the same hit.

Irishman
06-08-2011, 02:52 PM
I saw parts of the first two episodes. How many times did Carson Daly tell us that the Cee Lo, Adam, etc only hear the voices, and do not see the contestants.

This might be an artifict of the same pressure that makes these shows so repetitive. It's the "gotta explain for the people who just tuned in during the commercial break and don't know what's going on". So they repeat things that were just said.

Same thing happened on "The Apprentice" - they'd cut off for commercial on some cliffhanger comment, and come back they'd have to repeat the comment they made on the way out just to make sure everyone knew what was going on. Yeah, it's annoying, but it's catering to channel surfers.

I knew I saw a thread on this show, but then couldn't find it. I watched part of the first episode and part of the third, then found them on On Demand and watched all the way through. I'm really intrigued by the show.

Anybody else notice that on the second show where they were picking their teams, toward the end they started truncating what we saw, including "so and so was also picked by Adam" etc? It came as no surprise to me that when the battle rounds came, those were the people eliminated.

There were some really amazing performances during the battle rounds. Some of the back and forths were spectacular. Some very close calls, and I wouldn't be surprised if Tje ends up getting some deal through CeeLo anyway.

I was really impressed with the performaces last night -very good, very well done. Even if I don't necessarily like all the songs. I think the first girl was a little "pitchy". On Christina's team, I think the two to stay will be Frenchie and the Beverly. Just my gut call from what I saw. The first girl was good, but had some pitchy bits, and the third girl did pretty good, just don't quite think she hit the emotion that those two did.

From Blake's team, both the girls have unusual characters to their voices, and I can't quite decide if it's a good thing. I like Xenia's voice, but she's still struggling with her confidence. It was good to see her smiling and having fun - damn she's got a pretty smile. Dia did a good job with the singing and piano. Though when Carson said how impressive it was that we all knew that song so it was so interesting to hear her very different take, I had to scratch my head. I don't listen to Kayne West, so I don't think I've heard that song before. Didn't have anything to compare to. The kind of creativity it shows to rework a song, though (and didn't she do the same thing in her blind audition?) shows immense talent.

I suspect for Blake's team the two guys will win. Dia has a strong chance, but I think Xenia will lose out just because she's so young, inexperienced, and mostly shy. Which is too bad, because I like her stuff a lot better than country. Just my taste.

One thing - they acted like the teams were competing against each other tonight, but both teams have to lose 2 members by next week, right? So really they were still competing against their own team members. It would be different if there were 4 picks evenly out of the 8, but with 2 per team, the best singer on Blake's team might be worse than the worst singer on Christina's but Christina still loses 2. I'm still waiting for the competition between the teams.

And it is a bit rough to watch the eliminations, and know that is crushing one person's dreams while keeping another's alive.

Oh yeah, and one thing we know for sure on this show, and that is that Christina has boobs.

Lakai
06-08-2011, 02:57 PM
I did not expect that performance from Dia Frampton at all. I loved it.

Is it me or does Jared Blake move around too much? It's like he's decided to compensate for his weak vocals with an abundance of body movement.

Cat Whisperer
06-08-2011, 05:58 PM
I'm stunned at the level of performance they delivered tonight. Eight of the aspiring singers. Plus Blake on stage with his four singers covering a Maroon 5 song. :D Christina and her girls belting out Lady Marmalade.

I can't remember how long ago that I've seen this level of star performances. You couldn't possibly pack any more into two hours. How did they ever get these superstars to work their asses off performing on the Voice? Crossing over into various genres. Incredible stuff.

I'm not sure who I'll vote for. Right now it's all one delicious, satisfying wave of sound. :pThe performances with the stars were pretty damned good - I absolutely LOVED Blake's team performing a Maroon 5 song! I'm very impressed with the star coaches (except Christina - does she ever shut up?).

<snip>
Oh yeah, and one thing we know for sure on this show, and that is that Christina has boobs.And likes to wear yeast-infection pants. I said last night that Christina was in danger of becoming a caricature of herself, and my husband said, "Becoming?"

Brynda
06-08-2011, 10:05 PM
I usually don't like group numbers, but the Queen set and Lady Marmalade were fantastic.

Dia and Beverly were my favorites. I like Xenia's voice, but she just isn't ready yet.

Is it just me or is Blake Shelton yummy beyond belief?

Cat Whisperer
06-08-2011, 10:42 PM
I don't know much about country music and musicians, but Blake is far more engaging than I ever thought he would be. And I wouldn't argue too long with "yummy," either. :)

The Evil Prince Zorte
06-09-2011, 12:22 AM
Xenia's my favorite, but not my favorite to win. Listening to her is a little frustrating because you get glimpses of the singer she has the potential to become with a little more experience and training. I hope she gets a real mentor out of this and realizes her potential soon because I would like to buy that Xenia's album.

aceplace57
06-15-2011, 11:37 PM
I finally found time to watch tonight and vote.

I thought there were several misfires tonight. Tori and Taylor butchered that Andrews sisters song. I still don't see the appeal of Devon. Looks too much like Doogie Howser. I think he needs to get his butt back in pre-med school ASAP.

For me tonights winners were Nakia with Sex on Fire. He nailed that song. On Adams team I liked Jeff Jenkins and Jesus Take the Wheel. I threw a few votes to Vicci Martinez for Jolene. But, Nakia's song is the only one I went to Itunes and dl.

I'm still shaking my head at Blake's choice. I just can't believe he picked Xenia. I just didn't care that much for her song last week. I thought for sure he'd pick Patrick Thomas. I'm glad the viewers voted for Dia Frampton.

The two bald chicks made it through on Christina's team. I'm not really a fan of either one.

Lakai
06-15-2011, 11:44 PM
I'm still shaking my head at Blake's choice. I just can't believe he picked Xenia. I just didn't care that much for her song last week. I thought for sure he'd pick Patrick Thomas. I'm glad the viewers voted for Dia Frampton.

Patrick Thomas has a good voice, but he's too boring.

I kind of respect Blake for that choice. He picked her because he sees her potential and really wants to help. I hope he can help her break out of her shell.

aceplace57
06-15-2011, 11:45 PM
It's still early. But, I'll go out on a limb and make my winning prediction.

I'll predict now that I think this seasons winner will either be Dia Frampton or Nakia. I'm very impressed with both of them. Who wins will probably come down to the song choice. With the right song either of these two could easily win.

Now, I sure hope that I didn't jinx it for them. :D

Dia is really a ringer. She's been in a band, Meg & Dia for years. They've got a pretty big following.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meg_%26_Dia

Cat Whisperer
06-16-2011, 12:32 AM
It's funny how we all hear things differently; Jeff Jenkins' song was the only one I muted, it was so bad. I LOVED Cee-Lo and his team doing "Ordinary People" - I was laughing my ass off.

Irishman
06-16-2011, 09:06 PM
Some of these matchups and songs don't make sense. Everybody knows Beverly (bald chick) can rock a power ballad. So they give her another one?? WTF is the point? If you want to test her then make her sing something soft and melodic. Find out if she has any control of that voice.

The goal isn't necessarily to test them or stretch them. The idea is to show them at their best. Now that may involve pushing them a little, or pulling them out of their comfort zone, but it's certainly not required.

And likes to wear yeast-infection pants. I said last night that Christina was in danger of becoming a caricature of herself, and my husband said, "Becoming?"

Yeah, those pants weren't her best look. But did you notice she has boobs?

Xenia's my favorite, but not my favorite to win. Listening to her is a little frustrating because you get glimpses of the singer she has the potential to become with a little more experience and training. I hope she gets a real mentor out of this and realizes her potential soon because I would like to buy that Xenia's album.

Yeah, I feel the same way. She's got great potential, but isn't quite there yet.

Okay, I just watched this week's episode, and first I have to say, I was totally floored by Blake's choice. I totally expected him to pick Patrick, with a slight possibility of Jared, but I was totally surprised by his picking Xenia. Yes, I like her voice and really think she could go far, but from the level of performances where they are at now, she's not quite there. His justification was that he can help coach her more than the others. Well, okay, but that's gotta suck to be "Mr Second Chance" right now. I think he missed the mark on the point of the show, but we will see.

Also, Blake Shelton was on The Tonight Show last night, and I had to fast forward through the scene they showed where he saved one of his contestants - I'm so glad I did now. That was such a brilliant moment that it would have been a major spoiler to have had it given away without seeing the whole thing.

I guess I shouldn't have been surprised by Dia being the audience save. She came into this competition with a following already.

From Team Christina, I pegged it with Beverly and Frenchie.

For the performances this week, I thought the Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy song was dreadful. The girls did okay, but the song choice was awful. It's old and has no connection to modern times. I don't care if the pacing of the song makes it a challenge, the'd have been better off doing a Heart song or something. Vicci was awesome, nailed it and really showed the emotion, and I could almost hear a little Dolly in her voice. Nakia did very good, too. I pick those two from Team Cee Lo. Curtis did okay with an interesting rendition of Addicted to Love, but country isn't my thing and his tone is very country.

From Team Adam, I HATED the song choice by Jeff Jenkins. He's probably a stronger singer than Devon or Casey, but that's just such a horrible message in that song. And even though he's from Houston, I can't root for him. I thought Devon did okay, was a bit pitchy but did bring the emotion. Casey did a fine job with another song that is a bit odd, Big Black Horse and a Cherry Tree. (Nooo, No. Nooo, no no no. I said, nooo, no. You're a big black horse!) I think Adam is spot on when he says Javier needs to dial it back. He has loads of vocal ability, but the inflection stuff is way over the top. It's like he can't sing a single note straight.

I still think it will be Jeff and Javier from Team Adam.

Oh, and from the group songs, both were fun songs, but Devon didn't do much and didn't stand out (good use of his voice for the one line he had), and Curtis was off.

I don't know if this is means anything in particular but:

I don't know how it could mean anything, the rest of the season is playing out live.

tripthicket
06-21-2011, 09:28 PM
GAH

Ever since the live performances started, I have been UNABLE to hear the singers. The music and the background singers almost completely drown them out. It's like the contestant's mike is turned off and I'm only hearing their voice because other mikes on the stage are picking it up. The sound levels of the music: just fine. Background singers: just fine. Person I'd actually like to hear singing: can't her them. Made me so mad tonight that I turned off the show a half-hour in.

Even Carson Daly's voice was weak/low/muffled.

Is it that the sound levels, all of them, within the studio there are just fine during the live performances, yet not being broadcast right? Is it my local broadcast station? Is it my own television?

I can't imagine that it's an actual sound problem within the studio itself, else it would have been fixed before the second song ended, if not before it began. Since I hear the background music and singers just fine, how can it be the local station or my TV?

WHAT THE HELL IS THE PROBLEM!?

*ahem*

Is anyone else having this problem?

BottledBlondJeanie
06-21-2011, 10:01 PM
Might just be you, no problem here. Love Dia, Vicki and shockingly Beverly. Vicki and the drumming was so good. Dia gave me goose bumps. I have no idea why Dia isn't a huge star already. Beverly does have range and feels her music.

Cat Whisperer
06-21-2011, 10:17 PM
No problem here either. Is it just my imagination, or is this a hell of a strong night? I'm loving everyone's performances (with slight nitpicks of course). Beverly really is a strong singer; I wish she'd ease off on the 'WHOOO" while shaking her head, though.

Dia was surprisingly good, after her pitchy mess last week.

I liked Nakia's version of Adam Lambert's song, "Whaddya Want From Me?" too - great song for him. Do you suppose Adam Levine really hasn't heard of it?

Adam and Maroon 5's performance was terrific - I'm not sure why they needed Christina on stage for that, too, but whatever. And have I mentioned, Adam Levine is freaking HOT!?!

ETA: Holy shit, can Javier sing! What a lovely, lovely voice.

BottledBlondJeanie
06-21-2011, 10:23 PM
Hey Cat Whisperer, agree amost down the board. Christina actually sings on the single.

Cat Whisperer
06-21-2011, 10:34 PM
Hey Cat Whisperer, agree amost down the board. Christina actually sings on the single.Okay, that makes sense then. :)

Wow, Blake and the girls seem to be the weak link of the night - that was so lame.

tripthicket
06-21-2011, 11:04 PM
Huh. Wonder if it's an HD broadcast (if this show is such) being viewed on a non-HD TV that's the problem (my TV being around 8 years old).

Ah well, I'll check 'em out online.

The Evil Prince Zorte
06-22-2011, 01:08 AM
It's a surround problem. HD is usually broadcast in 5.1, and you are probably hearing only the left and right channels without the center, which is where they put the voices. If your provider has SD and HD feeds of the same channel, switch to the SD if you ever have this problem.

Sam Stone
06-22-2011, 02:57 AM
All of the remaining contestants on this show are really good. Any one of them could have won 'American Idol'.

I think the weakest link of the bunch is probably Vicci. Not because she's bad - I enjoyed her performance - but because she's not quite as good as the rest of them. But it's close, and I'd understand anyone who feels differently.

I think Blake Shelton has the right idea - Xenia has more potential than anyone else on the show, because it's not enough to just have a great voice anymore - you need a great unique voice with some compelling qualities. Being the next Britney or Whitney is not enough - we've already filled our quota of those. To become a real star, you have to bring something unique to the table. Either great songwriting, or great musicianship, or a unique voice.

I've downloaded a few of the studio performances for the show from iTunes, and Xenia sounds awesome in studio. She's got a voice that could melt butter. I could listen to her sing the phone book. It'd put me to sleep, but it would be pleasant. Give her great material, and she can be very, very good and unique. The "Price Tag" studio version is great.

When the show started, I hated Beverly. I thought she was just a half-crazy person with a bit of talent and a lot of forced 'attitude'. But she's proved me wrong. She really has a wonderful voice and she really expresses the music well. I really, really liked her tonight.

I don't know what to think about Javier. Yes, he's got a fantastic voice, but he does a lot of annoying things with it. His mentor almost had to beat him with a club to get him to tone down all the little gimmicky flourishes, and he still loaded up his performances with them. He's kind of like the 'Voice' version of Casey Abrams from American Idol, who despite being told repeatedly that his vocal 'stylings' were kind of annoying, grunted himself right out of the competition. Of course, Javier is a much better singer than Casey was, so maybe he'll get away with that.

Dia Frampton is pretty good, but her voice has a little too much 'little girl' in it for my taste. Of course, she'll probably sell 12 million copies of her live album, so long as she puts a vocoder on it.

What kind of sucks about this competition is that one of each of the judge's team has to go home. That could easily result in the 2nd and 4th best singers being booted off the show before the 7th and 8th best singers are. I'd keep Dia and Xenia over Vicki and one or two of the others, but one of those two girls has to go home tomorrow no matter what.

I understand that you can't have one of the celebrity judges eliminated two weeks before the series ends, but it would be nice if there was some way to correct for that without risking having the best singers go home early.

aceplace57
06-22-2011, 03:03 AM
Add me to the "Whooo" head shake hate list. Terrible habit.

Dia was good. Really most everybody except Xenia. She sings too softly. There's no inflection in her voice at all. I do see potential in her talent. She needs a couple years in a local band while in college. The performing experience would do her a lot of good.

Still not a fan of Frenchie. There's something too slick and polished about her. She's more of a musical theater performer than a recording artist.

Nakia got my votes this week. He's got a lot of potential. Liking Casey Weston more and more each week. I don't think she'll win, but I can easily see a big career ahead for her.

No problem here either. Is it just my imagination, or is this a hell of a strong night? I'm loving everyone's performances (with slight nitpicks of course). Beverly really is a strong singer; I wish she'd ease off on the 'WHOOO" while shaking her head, though.

Dia was surprisingly good, after her pitchy mess last week.

I liked Nakia's version of Adam Lambert's song, "Whaddya Want From Me?" too - great song for him. Do you suppose Adam Levine really hasn't heard of it?

Adam and Maroon 5's performance was terrific - I'm not sure why they needed Christina on stage for that, too, but whatever. And have I mentioned, Adam Levine is freaking HOT!?!

ETA: Holy shit, can Javier sing! What a lovely, lovely voice.

Cat Whisperer
06-22-2011, 08:39 AM
I'm not really loving Frenchie, either. I can't quite put my finger on what's wrong with her voice - when she sings louder, it's great. When she sings quieter, she seems to get screechy and uncertain.

I'm going to have to listen to some studio work from Xenia - I hear hints of greatness in her voice, but her tentative stage performance sort of steps on it.

I really like Vicci Martinez, too - if we could blend Xenia's voice with Vicci's stage presence...

Cat Whisperer
06-22-2011, 08:53 AM
Xenia - studio version of Falling To Pieces. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4hJNnAKPn8) It's driving me crazy - who does she sound like?

Sam Stone
06-22-2011, 09:52 AM
She sounds like a cross between Norah Jones (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tO4dxvguQDk&feature=related), Amy Winehouse (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ll7UFxqI2pM) and Kim Carnes (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Al9blQOhNw).

Cat Whisperer
06-22-2011, 01:06 PM
She sounds like a cross between Norah Jones (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tO4dxvguQDk&feature=related), Amy Winehouse (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ll7UFxqI2pM) and Kim Carnes (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Al9blQOhNw).
I think you've nailed it (maybe not quite as raspy as Kim Carnes - give her a few years with cigarettes and whiskey).

By the way, how are you getting a video that's blocked for me? (The Norah Jones one.) If you've got a good US IP spoofer, let me know what it is! :)

Sam Stone
06-22-2011, 02:49 PM
I don't know. I just connected through my shaw account. I didn't do anything special.

aceplace57
06-22-2011, 08:54 PM
Semi-final results tonight.

Couple surprises. At least they were too me.

Javier, Dia, Beverly, Vicci Martinez. By far Beverly was the biggest shocker. I plan to mute her next week. If I hear another damn whooo / head shake the tv is going through a window. Vicci is the one that does the constipated shit stomp every time she sings. Hard to believe that beat Nakia.

Guess I don't know what America likes.

Hats off to Blake for going above and beyond to help his 2 semi-finalists. First he included them in his semi-final personal performance. Something none of the other coaches did. Then, he takes them to one of his concerts and lets them perform with him again on that new song. Incredible generosity from the big guy.

Really I don't think there were any losers tonight. Given this shows ratings, I think all four semi-finalists will be getting various offers from the music people.

I've wondered if any of the music companies have a mentoring program? Seems logical to groom new talent. Maybe send them out to perform on a regional tour and get experience before recording them.

Irishman
06-22-2011, 11:44 PM
Ever since the live performances started, I have been UNABLE to hear the singers.

I had problems the first couple shows, but not lately.

Well, it's a bit much, but she wouldn't be the first musician with some gimmick. Think Michael Jackson. Or Mick Jagger. Steven Tyler.

Plausible. Even musicians can't follow everything.

I think the weakest link of the bunch is probably Vicci. Not because she's bad - I enjoyed her performance - but because she's not quite as good as the rest of them. But it's close, and I'd understand anyone who feels differently.

See, I think she's better than several others, especially Nakia. Not that he hasn't done well - he keeps impressing me. But I keep hearing things from him that just aren't right - like the soft part at the beginning of his song seemed flat or something.

I don't know what to think about Javier. Yes, he's got a fantastic voice, but he does a lot of annoying things with it. His mentor almost had to beat him with a club to get him to tone down all the little gimmicky flourishes, and he still loaded up his performances with them.

Yes, his last performance he was finally able to sing the melody simply, hitting the notes of the song. It was his best performance yet. If he can tame his instincts to show off, he's the best one out there.

Dia Frampton is pretty good, but her voice has a little too much 'little girl' in it for my taste. Of course, she'll probably sell 12 million copies of her live album, so long as she puts a vocoder on it.

Yeah, there's something in her tone that is just... I don't know how to describe it. That, and every once in while she enunciates something weird. She's clearly a more developed artist than any of the others. It shows in the way she takes and reworks the songs she's performing. She has a clear vision of who she is and her musical style.

What kind of sucks about this competition is that one of each of the judge's team has to go home. That could easily result in the 2nd and 4th best singers being booted off the show before the 7th and 8th best singers are. I'd keep Dia and Xenia over Vicki and one or two of the others, but one of those two girls has to go home tomorrow no matter what.

That's true. You have to hope that it washes out in the end - the best of Team Christina will be up against the best of Team Adam, against the Best of Team Cee Lo, against the best of Team Blake. When those 4 go head to head, the best one there wins. If that happens, does it really matter that the one who beat Xenia was Dia and not Javier?

Dia was good. Really most everybody except Xenia. She sings too softly. There's no inflection in her voice at all. I do see potential in her talent. She needs a couple years in a local band while in college. The performing experience would do her a lot of good.

Yes, some experience in some form of public performance - whether in a local band or a choir group or whatever. It's all confidence. When she opens up, it's amazing.

Couple surprises. At least they were too me.

I had these 4 pegged. I was a little worried for Beverly over Frenchie, but after hearing the comment about the trending online, and her being #1, I totally expected her win.

Hats off to Blake for going above and beyond to help his 2 semi-finalists. First he included them in his semi-final personal performance. Something none of the other coaches did. Then, he takes them to one of his concerts and lets them perform with him again on that new song. Incredible generosity from the big guy.

Yeah, he's a class act, and is definitely doing his best for his team.

Really I don't think there were any losers tonight. Given this shows ratings, I think all four semi-finalists will be getting various offers from the music people.

That would be a great outcome.

Cat Whisperer
06-23-2011, 12:41 AM
Dang it! I forgot to watch! Oh well - the outcome doesn't surprise me too much, either. I have to say, I'm a little disappointed in Frenchie - when I saw her audition for American Idol, I thought she was a major talent, but I'm backing off a little on that.

Marley23
06-24-2011, 10:27 AM
I watched for a couple of minutes to see what Javier was doing. A decade ago he spent a couple of years as the singer for my favorite band. He left because he got offered a solo record contract, and as they said on the show, it didn't work out and he was dropped from the label. He's very Stevie Wonder-y and can really sing, although I'd like to see him marry that to something with more substance.

Irishman
06-25-2011, 02:38 AM
Actually, I think if he would just put his hat on straight....

Irishman
06-28-2011, 11:03 PM
Just watched the Finale episode tonight. Final Results voting on now, results tomorrow night.

Some really good performances tonight, both the individual original songs and the duets. Glad I don't have to vote on the duets.

On the duets, I really liked Adam and Javier doing "Man in the Mirror". Vicci and Cee Lo doing "Love is a Battlefield" rocked hard. Where did they get those kids? They were excellent dancers. I liked the "warrior" theme and the punk look. I also liked Beverly and Christian doing "Beautiful", though perhaps they suffered a bit from the Javier Colon syndrome. Dia and Blake were fine.

From the individual performances, they were all excellent. It was probably Dia's best yet, though she still had her tonal thing a bit. Javier really managed to dial it in and not overdo the flair. Beverly's was really good, too, but I really think Vicci's was best. She didn't do a thing wrong, was spot on, and really sold the emotion and feel. So she's my pick.

I see they've taken the suggestion (if they didn't have it already) and will have the top 8 finalists touring the country - dates announced were Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Chicago, New York City, and a couple other places. Nothing near Texas, though. (Vegas isn't near Texas).

Whoever wins, all 4 are excellent, and there may be other opportunities out of this. Comments before about how unfair they competed within their teams up till this week, so conceivably the 13th and 14th best were in longer than the 3rd and 4th best. But I have to say I mostly agree with the outcomes. Perhaps we didn't see enough of Tje and Nikki, who were both eliminated in the battle rounds and were really close calls, to see if they could have won. But other than that, I'm not disappointed at all.

Dag Otto
06-28-2011, 11:11 PM
I also liked Beverly and Christian doing "Beautiful", though perhaps they suffered a bit from the Javier Colon syndrome.

When I saw the line up on stage (what - five guitars?), I was reminded of the Austin City Limits tribute to Walter Hyatt. Which is to say - if you have five freaking guitars on stage, maybe you ought to, I dunno, hear some guitars. Performance from the singers didn't matter to me, I wanted to hear some guitars.

Brynda
06-28-2011, 11:30 PM
You know the show is called The Voice, right? Maybe you should check out The Guitar.

Dia is my favorite. I really like her singing style. I predict either she or Javier will win.

Cat Whisperer
06-28-2011, 11:32 PM
Beverly and Christina - that started out okay, but it turned into one of the biggest oversinging-fests I've seen in a long, long time.

Adam and Javier - that was good - my only reservation was that their voices are perhaps too similar to make an effective duet.

ETA: Oh yeah, Dia - I still have reservations about her. I actually really liked her original song, but she has some pitch problems. I guess that would all be straightened out in the studio.

Dag Otto
06-28-2011, 11:39 PM
Beverly is really good, but I think her key to success is to be very entertaining between songs during her live shows. That's going to be the thing that makes people think 'great show' rather than 'OK show'.

I can think of a couple of examples that I experienced that help explain what I mean. Way back in college, a roommate invited me to go see Loretta Lynn. Not my cup of tea, but a free show so what the hell. Turns out Loretta can really entertain a crowd between song.

Other example was at a Johnny Cash show, it was near the end of his career and he took ill after about 4 songs into the show. He went backstage, and June Carter took over - same as Loretta, June was a consummate performer on her own and while I did miss Johnny Cash, I didn't feel like I didn't get my money's worth.

If Beverly can entertain like that, she'll do fine.

Cat Whisperer
06-29-2011, 12:01 AM
<snip> Vicci and Cee Lo doing "Love is a Battlefield" rocked hard. Where did they get those kids? They were excellent dancers. I liked the "warrior" theme and the punk look. <snip>That was one of the best things I've seen on television in a LONG time! Good job, Cee Lo and Vicci - that was straight out of the 80's and immensely enjoyable.

I hope they get a host with a pulse next year. :)

Cat Whisperer
06-29-2011, 12:05 AM
<snip>

Other example was at a Johnny Cash show, it was near the end of his career and he took ill after about 4 songs into the show.<snip>
My mom went to see Johnny Cash much earlier in his career, and her experience similar - he showed up very late, mumbled a couple of songs, and took off. I'm sure he gave a few good shows at some point in his career, though. :)

WhyNot
06-29-2011, 08:54 AM
Beverly is really good, but I think her key to success is to be very entertaining between songs during her live shows. That's going to be the thing that makes people think 'great show' rather than 'OK show'.

I can think of a couple of examples that I experienced that help explain what I mean. Way back in college, a roommate invited me to go see Loretta Lynn. Not my cup of tea, but a free show so what the hell. Turns out Loretta can really entertain a crowd between song.

Other example was at a Johnny Cash show, it was near the end of his career and he took ill after about 4 songs into the show. He went backstage, and June Carter took over - same as Loretta, June was a consummate performer on her own and while I did miss Johnny Cash, I didn't feel like I didn't get my money's worth.

If Beverly can entertain like that, she'll do fine.
That's actually what I thought about, of all people last night, Cee Lo.

I have no idea what kind of music he does. I probably don't like it (being an old biddy partial to Broadway and 70's and 80's music). But gawdamn if I don't want to go see one if his shows now! The man is obviously a great showman, and I want to go see his show, no matter what kind of music he's making.

Cat Whisperer
06-29-2011, 01:08 PM
Cee Lo Green - Fuck You Video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pc0mxOXbWIU&has_verified=1) (not safe for work - language). I love this song way more than I feel I should. :D

Stoid
06-29-2011, 01:15 PM
Cee Lo is the man.

And wide-eyed, head shakin' "woo!" notwithstanding: Beverly! Beverly! Beverly! Beverly! For a hundred reasons, but for me the biggest is that the woman is authentically passionate about music in a way I just don't see in any of the others.

But yeah, it would be good for her to lose the crazy-eye, head-shakin' "woo!" shit.

aceplace57
06-29-2011, 01:19 PM
Great performances in the finale. I have no idea who will win.

My pick is Dia. But, that's just my personal favorite.

I would be gobsmacked if Beverly wins. I think she is the weakest of the 4 finalists.

WhyNot
06-29-2011, 01:22 PM
Cee Lo Green - Fuck You Video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pc0mxOXbWIU&has_verified=1) (not safe for work - language). I love this song way more than I feel I should. :D

Ooooooh.....THAT'S Cee Lo? I love that song! Yeah, I'd totally enjoy one of his concerts! :D

BottledBlondJeanie
06-29-2011, 07:27 PM
Squeeeeeeeeeeeeee! Stevie!!!!!!

Dolores Reborn
06-29-2011, 07:29 PM
Oh! that was absolutely beautiful!

(Javier and Stevie)

aceplace57
06-29-2011, 09:31 PM
Congrats to Javier. First winner of the voice.

Hopefully the record execs will offer contracts to the others as well. Apparently songs from The Voice have been setting Itunes on fire. They said Javier and Dia's songs were #1 and #2 on Itunes last night.

Drain Bead
06-29-2011, 10:27 PM
Wonder when they'll have the Stevie duet up. I'll buy that.

Cat Whisperer
06-30-2011, 12:25 AM
Well, that was an interesting show (overall, I mean). I loved having the coaches involved every step of the way. It was an interesting result, too - I think every one one of those four has great potential as a bona fide star.

AboutAsWeirdAsYouCanGet
06-30-2011, 02:37 AM
HOLY effing COW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have a THREE degree connection to Stevie Nicks!?!?!
A friend of mine (who is a singer/songwriter) is very good friends with Javier. They went to college togehter, and he even performed at her music fest! I saw him BEFORE he was big.....I remember he sang a lot of " Which Backstreet Boy is Gay?" style songs, but also a lot of upbeat songs too.
So cool I knew him when!

Drain Bead
06-30-2011, 07:31 AM
It was insane how into it the judges were there at the end. Adam looked like his whole world was riding on the result.

Southern Yankee
06-30-2011, 08:18 AM
I love Stevie Nicks, but what was that weird shit she was doing with her hand. It looked like she was conducting Javier....

clnilsen
06-30-2011, 10:01 AM
It was insane how into it the judges were there at the end. Adam looked like his whole world was riding on the result.

I generally don't get into these kind of shows, but it was nice to see this one have the judges at least seem like they really cared about the people and the results.

Irishman
06-30-2011, 10:27 AM
I love Stevie Nicks, but what was that weird shit she was doing with her hand. It looked like she was conducting Javier....

She was conducting Javier. And probably the band. They were doing a lot of holds rather than beat counts, so it makes sense to all cue off one person, and since she's the senior artist, pick her.

Anyone else think it should have been Stevie paired with Dia? Then it could have been the two cartoon voice characters in one song. ;)

Actually, I enjoyed that performance, and Dia and Miranda Lambert's as well, even though I'm not a huge fan of "country voice". On Beverly's it seemed a few of her notes near the end were off, to me.

I have to say I'm not surprised. I think I said a while back that Javier would win if he could dial back the flair, and he managed to make improvements in that. Plus, he wasn't wearing his crooked hat. I told you that would work. ;)

All 8 finalists will be touring the country, hitting IIRC 6 spots: Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Chicago, Boston, New York, Conneticut. Was there a Pennsylvania as well? Heavily east coast, no south or central stops listed.

I imagine that at least the top 4 will be able to get some kind of deal out of this. With the way they trended on iTunes, music execs would be fools not to take advantage of it.

Cat Whisperer
06-30-2011, 11:57 AM

She was conducting Javier. And probably the band. They were doing a lot of holds rather than beat counts, so it makes sense to all cue off one person, and since she's the senior artist, pick her.Jim and I picked up on that, too, and our conclusions were the same - when you sing a duet with Stevie Frickin' Nicks, she can direct you all she wants.

Anyone else think it should have been Stevie paired with Dia? Then it could have been the two cartoon voice characters in one song. ;)When Stevie started singing, I burst out laughing - she sounds like a goat!

Actually, I enjoyed that performance, and Dia and Miranda Lambert's as well, even though I'm not a huge fan of "country voice". On Beverly's it seemed a few of her notes near the end were off, to me.<snip>I went and looked up that song (Good Life by OneRepublic (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZhQOvvV45w)), and it sounds a lot better when the singer hits the notes. Beverly was a disaster at the end of that song.

I don't think Dia and Miranda were a good pairing - Dia couldn't even start to hold her own against Miranda when she started belting it out.

I generally don't get into these kind of shows, but it was nice to see this one have the judges at least seem like they really cared about the people and the results.At least Adam and Blake looked like they were almost in tears at points in the results show. I couldn't get a read on CeeLo - he may or may not have cared about Vicci. Christina seemed to be the vapid, self-centred piece of crap that she has always appeared to be. All just my opinions, of course. :)

Stoid
06-30-2011, 11:58 AM
Christina seemed to be the vapid, self-centred piece of crap that she has always appeared to be. All just my opinions, of course. :)

Genuinely curious about why you say this.

Brynda
06-30-2011, 01:17 PM
I thought all of the judges were genuinely emotionally involved with their proteges--far more than I would have guessed before the show started. Blake, in particular, seems very protective and supportive of Dia.

Irishman
06-30-2011, 05:20 PM
They all seemed genuinely interested in and to care about their proteges. They certainly all made noises as such. I wonder how long that lasts, and how that holds up when they start doing more seasons. I can imagine something like that getting draining/repetitive by, say, season 5. I think the novelty of the first time has something to do with it.

Genuinely curious about why you say this.

I will say that during a few of her comment segments she seemed somewhat flat in aspect/cold/tired. But overall I didn't get the impression she didn't care, just worn down a bit.

Cat Whisperer
06-30-2011, 06:27 PM
I guess it isn't accurate to say Christina didn't appear to care; she just appeared to care about herself *more*. I'm basing this on ongoing comments of hers of the, "But enough about me - tell me what YOU think about me" nature, but it was more of an impression than one particular thing.

Oh - an aside from Tuesday's show - did anyone else catch CeeLo doing that very vulgar, forked fingers up to his mouth and waggling his tongue gesture? How did that make it onto broadcast television? :D

Sam Stone
06-30-2011, 10:23 PM
Now that it's all over, let me count the ways in which this show is MUCH better than American Idol:

1. It has heart. You always get the sense on American Idol that they're playing a game with you, with the audience, with the performers. The judges goof around inappropriately at times, and often it's clear that they really have nothing to say and aren't invested that much in the performances. But on The Voice, you get the sense that everyone really cares. I've actually been quite moved by the way the mentors have taken their contestants under their wings and really tried very hard to do right by them, contest or no. And areas that could have gone horribly wrong didn't - the mentors didn't try to sabotage each other's contestants, there was no heavy feuding between them. They all seemed to like each other, and they all came across as likeable people - even Christina, in the end. Blake Shelton in particular really impressed me as being a super nice guy. I just hope to God it wasn't all an act, and I'm going to dread reading some expose' where a former contestant like Dia comes out and says that once the show was over all the doors slammed and all the talk about 'friends for life' was just Hollywood BS. But somehow I don't think so.

2. Production Values. Oh my God, this is how a music/variety show should be produced. Everything from the stagecraft to the lighting to the musical direction to the cinematography is light years better than anything we see on American Idol. Those last two shows were stunning in their presentation. The camera work was tremendous - little details like cameras catching the reflection of the judges in the lenses of the performer's sunglasses, or the narrow depth of field shots where the singer is in focus but you can see their 'mentor' out of focus in the background. Everything is just done to a very high level of quality. The lighting work in particular has been just beautiful. And finally, the audio on a music show is actually good.

In contrast, American Idol tends to rely on a swirling camera shot or two, and then long shots of the stage and a bit of steadycam work, all done very unimaginatively. Their idea of a big change-up is to have a contestant sit on the edge of the stage or walk down into the crowd to be surrounded by screaming girls. It's all very much by-the-numbers.

3. The Band Paul Mirkovitch is a great musical leader - he comes out of the rock side of music, instead of jazzy big band production numbers like Ricky Minor. His band is made up of musicians who actually tour with great artists and who are all well-respected session players. And most of them have been playing together for a long time, and they're tight as a drum.

4. The Contestants. Because these contestants are hand-picked by music pros and then chosen by music pros, and then the music pros get 'saves' to prevent the best ones from being kicked off by 12 year old voters, we generally saw the best of the bunch make it to the end. None of this nonsense where a great performer gets booted off in favor of some 'cute' but talentless milquetoast from the midwest who appeals to grandmas and little girls.

5. The Format. The mentoring, the way the votes were done (put your money where your mouth is - a purchase of a track counts as a vote for the artist, and you can't vote 8 gazillion times) - all of it made for a better show. The only thing I didn't like was the boxing round duet competitions. But once they got to the performance shows, it was all great.

All in all, if this show aired against American Idol next year, I'd watch this one in a heartbeat. I liked it a lot.

Carson Daily was a weak link, but who cares? He was a small part of the show. But I wonder how it feels to be the 'poor man's Ryan Seacrest'? That's gotta hurt.

Did anyone notice that Carson Daily said that the next season of The Voice was going to start in winter? Wasn't this a spring replacement show? It sounds like they're going to move it up into the big leagues to go against American Idol. X Factor starts in the fall, and I think AI starts in December/January, right?

Dag Otto
06-30-2011, 11:38 PM
Jim and I picked up on that, too, and our conclusions were the same - when you sing a duet with Stevie Frickin' Nicks, she can direct you all she wants.

"That's why I'm the leader. Cause I can't follow." - Jerry Jeff Walker

Dag Otto
07-01-2011, 12:02 AM
To add to Sam Stone's list:

Format: At first the huge number of cut performers seemed drastic, but it worked well as the Voice didn't drag on for 17 months like a season of Idol feels like.

Songs: Performers are not forced to perform songs in stupid categories. Dia was free to offer her version of a Kanye West song rather than everyone having to perform songs from Gilbert and Sullivan.

Judges: Actually had to make some hard choices, rather than being at the mercy of viewer votes.

Ford: No stupid car commercials by the contestants.

Performers: Actually start with performers who can sing. In this way, I liked 'The Voice' in the same way I liked 'The Sing Off' - people on the show really could sing to start with.

On the other hand, it's not really clear what the judges are competing other than to have the winner. The news is that all four judges (http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/43596840/ns/today-entertainment/) will return. I'd suggest that only the winning (or top two at most) judge(s) be invited back. Adding new judges will keep the show fresh. As entertaining as Cee-Lo was, there are other artists out there who could easily fill that chair.

Cat Whisperer
07-01-2011, 01:10 AM
<snip> As entertaining as Cee-Lo was, there are other artists out there who could easily fill that chair.I dunno; he filled it pretty good. :)

I did really like the mentors/coaches (with the exception of Christina - I didn't hate her, but I wouldn't mind if they replaced her). I'm picturing Adam and Blake going for a beer together. Now they've had a couple - maybe one too many. Shirts are falling off, hands all over...excuse me. Seem to have wandered off track there. :D

GargoyleWB
07-01-2011, 11:57 AM
Agreed to Sam Stone's list. My only dislikes:

Host: Carson Daly is blander than a Larry King / Dick Cavett milkshake. Given recent hosts on other shows like Cat Deely, Brooke Burke, Mario Lopez, Seacrest...hell, let's bring Martha Quinn out of retirement.

Stage: The boxing ring duel was silly and gimmicky.

Judges: All 4 judges giving obligatory inputs repeatedly every damn time got exhausting. Streamline the fawning of the judges.

Ex-contestants: I'd liked to have seen a reprise of the voted-off contestants, give them one more chance to shine in a corny ensemble number or two.

Brynda
07-01-2011, 12:06 PM
I seem to be the only one, but I liked the duel rounds. I liked the direct comparison.

J-P L
07-01-2011, 03:21 PM
Carson Dale talked about casting for the new season, any words or guesses if the same judges return or if it will be a different group.

Irishman
07-01-2011, 03:56 PM
1. It has heart. You always get the sense on American Idol that they're playing a game with you, with the audience, with the performers. The judges goof around inappropriately at times, and often it's clear that they really have nothing to say and aren't invested that much in the performances. But on The Voice, you get the sense that everyone really cares.

Part of this is driven by the investment the coaches make in this format. They are coaches, not just judges. The Idol format, the goal is to critique and select. This program is also about developing and shaping.

And areas that could have gone horribly wrong didn't - the mentors didn't try to sabotage each other's contestants, there was no heavy feuding between them.

Yes, that would have lost my interest quick. I don't want a manufactured drama fest. Shape and develop your picks, not destroying someone else's.

3. The Band Paul Mirkovitch is a great musical leader - he comes out of the rock side of music, instead of jazzy big band production numbers like Ricky Minor.

Does Ricky Minor do Idol? (Wouldn't know, never watched it.) I know he's now doing The Tonight Show.

4. The Contestants. Because these contestants are hand-picked by music pros and then chosen by music pros, and then the music pros get 'saves' to prevent the best ones from being kicked off by 12 year old voters, we generally saw the best of the bunch make it to the end. None of this nonsense where a great performer gets booted off in favor of some 'cute' but talentless milquetoast from the midwest who appeals to grandmas and little girls.

Yes, definite plus. About the one curveball I saw was Blake picking Xenia, and his stated reason being that he thought he could shape her better than the other two. That seems just goofy to me. The idea was to pick the best performer, not the one who needs the most work.

Did anyone notice that Carson Daily said that the next season of The Voice was going to start in winter? Wasn't this a spring replacement show? It sounds like they're going to move it up into the big leagues to go against American Idol. X Factor starts in the fall, and I think AI starts in December/January, right?

This show doesn't take nearly as long to spin up as a drama, and runs half a regular season to completion, so it seems fair to run two "seasons" per year.

Format: At first the huge number of cut performers seemed drastic, but it worked well as the Voice didn't drag on for 17 months like a season of Idol feels like.

Because the eliminations are essentially exponential, it takes a fairly large pool to weed out by pairs each week.

Songs: Performers are not forced to perform songs in stupid categories. Dia was free to offer her version of a Kanye West song rather than everyone having to perform songs from Gilbert and Sullivan.

Absolutley right! Let the performers do songs in the style they would perform. Don't force them to try odd styles just to "shake things up" or whatever. It's about putting each contestant on their own best footing. Now there's some room for finagling in the duel rounds, where two competitors have to be put on somewhat equal footing, but otherwise help that artist do his/her best.

On the other hand, it's not really clear what the judges are competing other than to have the winner.

Yeah, they compete for picking teams in the first couple shows. After that, they compete by weeding down their own teams to the best artist in their collection, to go up against the best artist from each other coach. So there's less coach-to-coach competition than they make it seem.

Stage: The boxing ring duel was silly and gimmicky.

Boxing ring styling aside (and the stage decoration doesn't matter much to me on that), I really like the head-to-head performances. Those gave some of the tightest and hardest choices of the competition. Both competitors singing the same song, going back and forth so you can really compare the differences (like you might do with two separate tracks), that really makes them work for it.

Judges: All 4 judges giving obligatory inputs repeatedly every damn time got exhausting. Streamline the fawning of the judges.

Yeah, even the judges seemed to be running out of things to say. By the final results show, it was "Oh my god, I have to say something again?"

Ex-contestants: I'd liked to have seen a reprise of the voted-off contestants, give them one more chance to shine in a corny ensemble number or two.

I would have preferred that over Pit bull and NeYo, and whoever the other one was. I fastforwarded through both of those. Made the results show go faster, though.

What I could really do without is all the "dramatic" pauses for "tension". It's just annoying. After waiting all hour to hear the results, "And the winner is.... [goes off, makes a sandwich, comes back]... Javier." Come on.

Cat Whisperer
07-01-2011, 10:46 PM
<snip>

What I could really do without is all the "dramatic" pauses for "tension". It's just annoying. After waiting all hour to hear the results, "And the winner is.... [goes off, makes a sandwich, comes back]... Javier." Come on.
And then hugs all around and cut to black. That was a little abrupt and anti-climactic.

happychris
07-02-2011, 09:53 PM
I felt sad after both of Vicci's performances. Ceelo did not even care to applaud her. And what was up after their duet ended. A hug would have been nice or giving her a smile. He is all about himself. She deserved better.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.