PDA

View Full Version : Mistborn - I'm reading the trilogy(spoilers as a I go)

Mahaloth
04-24-2011, 08:31 PM
Ahem.

DO NOT SPOIL ANYTHING PAST WHERE I AM IN THE BOOKS!

Thanks!

Yeah, so I picked up the first Mistborn book based solely on recommendations from Dopers. I have to say.....good call! It's really been a cool series so far and I am looking forward to finishing it.

I have....so far:

1. Finished Book 1. Vin killed the Lord Ruler(Rashek). Kelsier died as part of the plan. Elend basically gets to be king.

2. I am on chapter 18 of Mistborn: Well of Ascension.

- Sayed found a destroyed village....everyone died out of fear of the mist, which came out during the day(very odd).

- The armies are marching to go to war with Elend.

- Vin met Zane, another mistborn who is mysterious.

- She is using OreSeur, a kandra she inherited the contract of from Kelsier.

- Another kandra has replaced someone in the palace, but we don't know who.

OK, my predictions(crazy as they may be) are:

1. OreSeur himself has been replaced by another kandra. I have to admit, that would be a cool twist.

2. The Lord Ruler's final words were "You don't know what I did for you...blah blah blah. You've doomed everyone."

- I think(speculation here) that the Lord Ruler kept the mist away during the day and that the mist is the Deepness. It must have some kind of bad effect if it is around all the time. I know this is just lame speculation, but it is the best I have.

Don't correct me, but do feel free to share thoughts on the series and so forth. Just thought I'd post and update my predictions as I go.

Loving the series so far.

Qadgop the Mercotan
04-24-2011, 09:30 PM
Enjoy.

I've really liked Sanderson's writings. His most recent, The Way of Kings was his best, IMHO.

I'm also pleased with how his WOT writings have turned out thus far.

Mahaloth
04-24-2011, 10:18 PM
Enjoy.

I've really liked Sanderson's writings. His most recent, The Way of Kings was his best, IMHO.

It's the beginning of a 10 book arc? Dude, that's too big for me. I never started WoT.

robardin
04-25-2011, 11:09 AM
You've put the book down to eat or sleep? Pfah. Burn some pewter and keep reading.

maladroit
04-25-2011, 12:39 PM
My brother told me to read Mistborn, I guess I have to now.

Mahaloth
04-25-2011, 12:45 PM
My brother told me to read Mistborn, I guess I have to now.

Yeah, you should. I have to admit, it's quite cool.

Smeghead
04-25-2011, 03:26 PM
I picked it up really not expecting to like it, though I approve of what BS has done with the Wheel of Time, and ended up with it being one of my all-time favorite fantasy series.

Unpronounceable
04-25-2011, 03:59 PM
There's a 4th Mistborn book coming out this year too.
(Though it's set several hundred years later.)

Der Trihs
04-25-2011, 04:22 PM
(Though it's set several hundred years later.)The Alloy of Law (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mistborn:_The_Alloy_of_Law)

Mahaloth
04-25-2011, 09:19 PM
(Though it's set several hundred years later.)

I heard about it, but it sounds like the first 3 are more of a "trilogy" with the 4th being a totally new one.

Again, no spoilers for me. I have not finished the series.

Malleus, Incus, Stapes!
04-27-2011, 05:10 PM
Don't read the spoiler until you've finish WoA, but I'm really impressed that you guessed who the kandra was.

Mahaloth
04-27-2011, 07:33 PM
More speculation. About 1/2 or so through Well of Ascension(maybe 1/3 really).

- The Lord Ruler was holding off the giants(kolosses or something). I wonder if they are some kind of offspring of previously infected people(infected by the mist I mean). They are like some kind of failed creation/offspring. They die young, their skin does not fit, they can barely function. It's like he hid them or kept them away because they represent something he wanted to hide.

Mahaloth
05-01-2011, 03:03 PM
Finished Book 2(Well of Ascension).

1. Glad that I was right that OreSeur was replaced. TenSoon seems "good", actually, and I hope that turns out to be the case. You could, I think, tell that he was learning about people through Vin.

2. OK, so the Well appears to have been some sort of prison or holding place for an entity of.....evil. Didn't see it coming and am a bit surprised to see a "big villain" pulled out of nowhere.

3. Eh, I guess it is cool that Elend is now a allomancer. I love his character growth in the books.

Hey, it gives us something to deal with in Book 3.

My predictions:

- I still believe in the Hero of the Ages. I mean, it's the title of the 3rd book. I would say that the Hero is(in order of my suspicion)

- Spook
- That guy that is a good follower of Kelsier(Devroux?)
- Elend - obvious
- Vin - even more obvious

- I think that Rashek actually did the "right" thing by using the power, but had no idea how to use it. The world he "created" or whatever was barely held together by him. Koloss and Kandra are some kind of remnant of the previous existing world, I guess.

- No idea who the spirit was that appeared to Vin in the 2nd book and helped her in the end of the book. Alendi?

Anyway, very cool series.

No spoilers about book 3 now! Spoilers up to book 2 are acceptable. :)

Mahaloth
05-01-2011, 03:04 PM
Don't read the spoiler until you've finish WoA, but I'm really impressed that you guessed who the kandra was.

Thanks! It just felt right. When Zane revealed it, I was grinning. I'm usually terrible and predicting things.

Oh, another thought of Book 2. I was disappointed Zane died. I hope there is some kind of, well, hope for him in spirit form or something. Unlikely, but an idea.

TheBoltEater
05-01-2011, 09:49 PM
By happenstance I just finished reading the series myself. I'm quite happy with what he's doing with W.O.T., so I thought I'd read some of his own stuff as my way of thanking him for pulling that series out of the fire. I liked the series enough that I immediately went out and bought his book Elantris as well.

Mahaloth
05-04-2011, 08:44 AM
I am 181 pages into the 3rd book(out of 557).

I still think Spooks is the Hero of Ages and this book has made me think it even more, with Kelsier "appearing" to him and giving him 1 extra power(pewter). I think Kelsier did pick Spooks for his crew a long time ago and Spooks just didn't know it.

I am adoring Sazed's struggle with faith.

I actually am liking every character's story even more than Vin/Elend.

NO BOOK 3 SPOILERS PLEASE!

:D

MHaye
05-04-2011, 12:31 PM
I was leant it by my fiancee while she was here, and finished off the books last night.

I did ID the Hero by about the middle of the book. No names, no pack drill though.

There are several more surprises for you though, none of which I caught on to quickly.

TheBoltEater
05-04-2011, 01:50 PM
I'm now reading his first (I believe) book, Elantris. I'm only about 100 pages in, but the main idea behind the book - what Elantris IS - is just a great idea for a fantasy book.

Unpronounceable
05-04-2011, 02:20 PM
I quite enjoyed Elantris - it's really hard to believe that's his first book.

But the magic system is a real chicken/egg conundrum.

Malleus, Incus, Stapes!
05-04-2011, 03:34 PM
I did ID the Hero by about the middle of the book. No names, no pack drill though.

I suspected the Hero by (IIRC) the end of the first book. Not because of any of the million subtle hints or anything- just because of that person's place in the narrative.

robardin
05-04-2011, 08:10 PM
I suspected the Hero by (IIRC) the end of the first book. Not because of any of the million subtle hints or anything- just because of that person's place in the narrative.

I considered it around then too, but actually rejected/backed away from the idea later. Now that's good stuff.

Mahaloth
05-05-2011, 01:18 PM
I just want to point out that I do not know for sure who the Hero is, so don't tell me directly.

I'm just guessing.

Mahaloth
05-07-2011, 12:13 PM
Just finished.

OPEN SPOILERS FOR ALL 3 BOOKS BEGIN NOW!!

Mahaloth
05-07-2011, 12:18 PM
Wow.

I really enjoyed the series and have a hard time putting my thoughts into words.

Sazed. I guess that makes a lot of sense. I respect Sanderson's choice here and I love that it only comes together really in the final 5 pages.

I'm going to man up and tell you I had no real indication it was him. I suspected him to go the Kandr and realize it was Spook. I was concerned about my error once Spook lost his hemalurgic spike and lost his ability to burn pewter.

I have so many questions and thoughts, it's hard to say what I'm thinking. I really loved the series and it is one of the better trilogies I've read. A good length to the series, too. this did not need 10 books or anything.

Questions I have(which you all may be able to help me with):

- 16% of the people die in the mists? Those 16%.....burn atium? Or what can they do that is different? Or what have I misunderstood?

- Has Sanderson told us what the last two metals are? Sazed, who is now God, tells Spook there are 2 more and they are quite interesting.

- Was Ruin killed or merely merged with Preservation inside Sazed's sentient mind?

What questions do you all have after reading it?

Unpronounceable
05-07-2011, 12:47 PM
Wow.
Questions I have(which you all may be able to help me with):

- 16% of the people die in the mists? Those 16%.....burn atium? Or what can they do that is different? Or what have I misunderstood?

16% were affected by the mists - 1% snapped for each metal. Deaths were accidental. The atium-burners were sick for the longest length of time, though.

- Has Sanderson told us what the last two metals are? Sazed, who is now God, tells Spook there are 2 more and they are quite interesting.

No, but the upcoming Mistborn book is subtitled "The Alloy of Law" so...

- Was Ruin killed or merely merged with Preservation inside Sazed's sentient mind?

The previous people who bonded with (and provided the sentience for) Preservation and Ruin both died (the little brown guy in the snow & the redheaded guy respectively)...but the elemental forces are now both bonded with Sazed.

Mahaloth
05-07-2011, 03:21 PM
The previous people who bonded with (and provided the sentience for) Preservation and Ruin both died (the little brown guy in the snow & the redheaded guy respectively)...but the elemental forces are now both bonded with Sazed.

Right, so now I'm going to want a prequel book about how those people came into possession of Ruin and Preservation.

What a cool series.

MHaye
05-07-2011, 06:38 PM
I was surprised by the reassessment of the view of the Lord Ruler. He went from despot to a man who was thrust into a bad situation and did his best to save everyone.

Mahaloth
05-07-2011, 07:08 PM
I was surprised by the reassessment of the view of the Lord Ruler. He went from despot to a man who was thrust into a bad situation and did his best to save everyone.

I liked that quite a bit. I like that in the final chapter, Vin even thinks to thank him for what he tried to do.

TheBoltEater
05-07-2011, 09:41 PM
I absolutely loved his ideas of magic in this series. Allomancy is just cool, and for a long time that's the only magic you really learn about. Then you start learning more about Feruchemy, and there are some interesting ideas there too - the scene where Sazed jumps off a cliff and stores all his weight is fabulous. And then along comes Hemalurgy and it's just wonderfully creepy.

When I got to the end of the series I was very satisfied, but wished I could've learned about the last couple metals, so I'm definitely looking forward to Book 4.

Smeghead
05-08-2011, 06:18 AM
Now that you've finished, I can say that what really impressed me about this series was how well crafted it was. This is not a story that just flowed smoothly out of a person's brain overnight. This was a story that was meticulously planned, thought through, reworked, and just, well, crafted. I don't think I've ever read a book or series that provided (a) so many questions as it went along and (b) so many good, satisfying, logical answers to those questions at the end. Every loose thread was resolved, and resolved in a very satisfying way. Even the inevitable deus ex machina ending worked.

Mahaloth
05-08-2011, 08:56 AM
Now that you've finished, I can say that what really impressed me about this series was how well crafted it was. This is not a story that just flowed smoothly out of a person's brain overnight. This was a story that was meticulously planned, thought through, reworked, and just, well, crafted. I don't think I've ever read a book or series that provided (a) so many questions as it went along and (b) so many good, satisfying, logical answers to those questions at the end. Every loose thread was resolved, and resolved in a very satisfying way. Even the inevitable deus ex machina ending worked.

It's what I was looking forward to as well. This is the best book series I've read that was directly reccommended by Dopers.

What other book series are like that, with many little secrets/mysteries that gradually unravel? I actually think the Harry Potter series is like that and I liked its ending as well.

I just want to point out that I didn't realize that the gender neutral phrasing of the Hero of the Ages did not clue me into Sazed and that I didn't even get it until I read Sanderson's commentary on his website last night.

I guess I'm not the best guesser. However, I had it nailed that OreSeur was dead extremely, extremely early. Who knows?

Mahaloth
05-08-2011, 08:57 AM
By the way, I'm starting Otherland, a long tetralogy written by Tad Williams. My brother pushed me to it years ago. Anyone like it?

It's sci-fi/fantasy.

Malleus, Incus, Stapes!
05-08-2011, 11:15 AM
I read Otherland. I found it very interesting- I thought the ending was a bit :dubious:, but until then I really enjoyed it.

robardin
05-08-2011, 12:16 PM
I liked that quite a bit. I like that in the final chapter, Vin even thinks to thank him for what he tried to do.

At first I was unsatisfied with how Rashek could have created hemalurgically driven beings (Inquisitors, Koloss, Kandra) that he knew would be open to Ruin's control should he ever escape. Sure, he left the Kandra instructions to pull their spikes out if they felt Ruin's influence, but they were formerly Terrisfolk who had a whole religion built around knowing about and rejecting Ruin - what about the Steel Inquisitors or Koloss?

Then I realized Rashek simply hadn't thought through about dealing with a released Ruin while infused with the Power because (a) he hadn't had any time to prepare for what he would do in the time given, and (b) that would have meant Ruin had managed to get him eliminated, and he was too busy building a Final (Eternal) Empire with himself at the top as one of his main personality drives, the desire for "dominance". He realized this oversight later when he began leaving those caches of supplies and inscribed metal plates confessing how if they ever had to rely on these, it would mean he'd died and Ruin was probably about to win - "sorry for leaving a mess but here's what you'll need to get by while somebody thinks of a Plan B".

That in turn makes me wonder why Preservation (in the form of "conscious mist") would choose to help Vin defeat him at the end of the first book, especially when Preservation was so hostile to Vin at other times when she was wearing her earring "spike" (thus allowing Ruin a path into her head). I don't think drawing on the mist for Allomantic power is supposed to be something all Mistborn can do at will, or else Kelsier could have done so to battle or to escape the Steel Inquisitors, and the Lord Ruler himself (the Original Allomancer) would have been able to do it too as a counter to Vin in their fight to the death.

Malleus, Incus, Stapes!
05-08-2011, 03:08 PM
Wasn't Vin not wearing her earring at the climax of book 1?

Mahaloth
05-08-2011, 07:59 PM
Wasn't Vin not wearing her earring at the climax of book 1?

Yes, I think Rashek pulled it out of her ear, failing to realize this would let her use the mists.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.