PDA

View Full Version : I hate Florence and the Machine

Argent Towers
04-25-2011, 10:05 PM
I have heard the goddamn song "Dog Days Are Over" about 90,000 times now and I can't stand it. The voice is obnoxious and breathy - this is the female John Mayer. The lyrics suck. "Run fast for your mother, fast for your father," etc, "horses are coming," etc. What a bunch of pompous, pretentious, shallow, meaningless trash. The song is repetitive; the throaty, breathy, reverb-y sound of it is unbelievably grating to me. And the radio stations around here apparently never tire of playing it. The same goes for everything by Adele - actually, for a long time I thought "Dog Days" was Adele. Same kind of voice, same kind of stupid lyrics. UGH!

We used to have sultry Ricki Lee Jones and Stevie Nicks, gorgeous Harriet Wheeler of the Sundays, angry Alanis Morisette, sly Natalie Merchant, etc. Now we get this bombastic, pretentious, obnoxious CRAP. I can't stand it.

Ephemera
04-25-2011, 11:08 PM
Sucks for you. She's playing Bonnaroo in a couple months, and I plan on being as close to the stage as I can for her set.

drastic_quench
04-25-2011, 11:21 PM
I understand songs getting overplayed, but I really like this band. With her voice and their instrumentation, they've got a unique sound. There's loads of other great tracks on that album like Drumming Song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpLXQorSQe8).

Electric Warrior
04-25-2011, 11:29 PM
Well that's sad. I think Florence Welch is an incredible performer and just captivating to watch and listen to. I wish I could see them live. But hey, to each their own.

Is this a threadshit?

Argent Towers
04-25-2011, 11:33 PM
Maybe the band is ok and it's just that one song that sucks. I mean, a lot of bands that I love, the only one of their songs that gets on the radio is lousy and/or a terrible example of what their music sounds like.

I really can't stand Dog Days though. I think it's a wretchedly obnoxious song and I don't like the sound of her voice in it, nor the trite-sounding lyrics.

Electric Warrior
04-25-2011, 11:50 PM
Some of their other songs have better lyrics, though I still personally like that song's lyrics. ("Happiness hit her like a bullet in the back" - I feel like that's not something you hear all the time!) That's her characteristic vocal style though.

Argent Towers
04-26-2011, 12:06 AM
That's what I mean though. I hate to be that prick who tells you how bad something you like is - I totally realize it's a matter of personal taste - but that lyric doesn't make sense. Not in an "I am the walrus" way, in a "this is a shitty metaphor" way. Happiness does not remotely affect someone in a comparable manner to a bullet in the back. It's not a good metaphor, and I can dig metaphors as much as anyone else (Elvis Costello pulls it off perfectly.)

Argent Towers
04-26-2011, 12:13 AM
She is one of those female singers who thinks that if she just SCREAMS everything, it makes her brilliant and unique. Who started this? Regina Spektor? Ugh.

Also:

As of January 2011, Welch was working with Drake on material slated for his upcoming record.[17]

Yup. Drake.

Electric Warrior
04-26-2011, 12:28 AM
That's what I mean though. I hate to be that prick who tells you how bad something you like is - I totally realize it's a matter of personal taste - but that lyric doesn't make sense. Not in an "I am the walrus" way, in a "this is a shitty metaphor" way. Happiness does not remotely affect someone in a comparable manner to a bullet in the back. It's not a good metaphor, and I can dig metaphors as much as anyone else (Elvis Costello pulls it off perfectly.)

It makes sense to me. The person in the song wasn't expecting to suddenly find happiness somewhere, and the result was to shock and disorient her or metaphorically 'knock her dead'.

WOOKINPANUB
04-26-2011, 07:07 AM
Just another case of "to each his own" which is in no way a bad thing. Of the examples in the OP, the only one I don't find utterly grating is Alanis, and as much as I love her, she can be pretty pretentious and bombastic herself.
I dug Florence and the Machine the first time I saw them on some TV show (awards show maybe?) and I can't get enough of them. Adele I really hated with her "It's all about Landon" (her first album) schtick but I'm starting to take a shine to her. Admittedly, "Rolling in the Deep" does get played way too much.

Tanaqui
04-26-2011, 08:28 AM
Wait, Florence and the Machine is mainstream enough that it gets played repetitively on the radio? God, do us hipsters need to start listening to the radio just so we can know what to be embarrassed about listening to nowadays?!

An Gadaí
04-26-2011, 08:34 AM
She is one of those female singers who thinks that if she just SCREAMS everything, it makes her brilliant and unique. Who started this? Regina Spektor?

I've never heard a Regina Spektor song where she screams.

Petrobey Mavromihalis
04-26-2011, 09:16 AM
Not a huge fan of Florence, but her duet with Mr Rascal at last year's BRITs was the dog's bollocks (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erReTWV48tU&feature=related).

DianaG
04-26-2011, 09:22 AM
I don't hate the song, but I agree that it's metaphors are muddy at best. I mean, the horses don't exactly sound like an improvement.

jjimm
04-26-2011, 09:34 AM
I can't stand them either. It seems I am alone in my country in this stance.

gallows fodder
04-26-2011, 09:59 AM
Yeah, I was gonna say.... "Screaming female singer" brings people like Courtney Love and Kathleen Hanna to mind, not, you know, Regina Spektor. :confused:

Clawdio
04-26-2011, 10:41 AM
It's cool if you don't like the song or the singer, but not sure I get the classification of her singing style as "breathy". I would agree with saying John Mayer is breathy, but I would say her style is almost the opposite of "breathy".

Maybe that word does not mean what i think it means, or i need to go back give the album another listen.

Jophiel
04-26-2011, 11:40 AM
Yeah, I've no idea where that came from. Of course, she has a crapton of songs in different styles so maybe one of them has some screaming in there and I just missed it.

PookahMacPhellimey
04-26-2011, 11:49 AM
Ha! Great! Give me an opportunity!

I can't stand her. I think she's a pretensious diva with lots of friends in the British press who write it up as fantastic when she as much as farts. Lyrics are so-so, voice is okay, but the main complaint is that there's no good music in there to speak of and she covers this up by a "me me me, look at ME" type of melodrama. I think it is tragic that music is so homogenized and risk-free these days that people seem to believe makes her the epitome of creativity.

Hope the OP is happier now, I certainly feel better.

(I do love her dress-sense. Shame.)

Nzinga, Seated
04-26-2011, 12:21 PM
Nothing feels weirder than when you like something and think everyone can clearly see it's cool, and then you realize that folks think you are an idiot for liking it.

I love Regina Spektor, really like Adelle and kinda dig that Dog Days song, too.

beartato
04-26-2011, 01:51 PM
I have heard the goddamn song "Dog Days Are Over" about 90,000 times now and I can't stand it. The voice is obnoxious and breathy - this is the female John Mayer. The lyrics suck. "Run fast for your mother, fast for your father," etc, "horses are coming," etc. What a bunch of pompous, pretentious, shallow, meaningless trash. The song is repetitive; the throaty, breathy, reverb-y sound of it is unbelievably grating to me. And the radio stations around here apparently never tire of playing it. The same goes for everything by Adele - actually, for a long time I thought "Dog Days" was Adele. Same kind of voice, same kind of stupid lyrics. UGH!

We used to have sultry Ricki Lee Jones and Stevie Nicks, gorgeous Harriet Wheeler of the Sundays, angry Alanis Morisette, sly Natalie Merchant, etc. Now we get this bombastic, pretentious, obnoxious CRAP. I can't stand it.

Wait wait wait... your problem is with terrible similes, absurd lyrics, grating vocals, and pretentiousness, and yet you're holding up Nicks, Wheeler, Merchant, and Morissette as examples of what you feel a female vocalist should be? I happen to like all the ladies mentioned, but every single one on your list is guilty of at least one of the crimes against music you've accused Florence and the Machine of.

Vihaga
04-26-2011, 02:04 PM
Nothing feels weirder than when you like something and think everyone can clearly see it's cool, and then you realize that folks think you are an idiot for liking it.

I love Regina Spektor, really like Adelle and kinda dig that Dog Days song, too.

I like them, too! We can all be idiots together; it's something I'm pretty good at by now.

Jophiel
04-26-2011, 03:58 PM
kinda dig that Dog Days song, too.
I don't listen to a lot of radio so it hasn't worn out its welcome for me. I haven't looked for anything else by the artist so all the claims of pretentiousness or media-whoring go right over my head.

corkboard
04-27-2011, 09:00 AM
There's a top 40 station around here (WPLJ) that plays so that Adele song so much I'm starting to think there's some payola going on. Some songs, if you don't like them the first time or two, soon they grow on you. Rolling in the Deep just plain sucks, no matter how often they play it.

panamajack
04-27-2011, 11:24 AM
I don't hate the song, but I agree that it's metaphors are muddy at best. I mean, the horses don't exactly sound like an improvement.

"Dog days", though, implies a sort of stagnation, but possibly in a lazy positive sense - so the horses, implying activity and an end to the torrid, unwanted happiness, probably aren't supposed to be a good thing.

I think I liked the song a little better when I thought it was "dark days". Not that it made any more sense.

DianaG
04-27-2011, 11:38 AM
That would make sense, if not for the fact that she's supposed to be shocked by sudden happiness, and suspicious of it, to the point where she hid around corners and under beds and killed it with kisses and fled and shit.

DianaG
04-27-2011, 11:40 AM
Happiness does not remotely affect someone in a comparable manner to a bullet in the back.
Well, to be fair, the bullet was apparently only thrown.

Snooooopy
04-27-2011, 12:34 PM
I like "Dog Days" well enough, I guess. I get the general upliftiness of it. But I think I would have reacted very poorly to it if the first time I had heard the song had been while watching that pretentious music video. THAT was a piece of work.

SaharaTea
04-27-2011, 06:31 PM
I first heard "Dog Days" when they performed on SNL, and I had to turn off the tv because I found her voice so grating. Even so, it's nice to see females besides Katy Perry and Ke$ha getting mainstream attention.

Shirley Ujest
04-27-2011, 07:57 PM
I liked Adele before anyone over the age of 12 and under the age of 35 knew who she was.

So there.

I feel so hipster.

Yookeroo
04-27-2011, 08:46 PM
There's a top 40 station around here (WPLJ) that plays so that Adele song so much I'm starting to think there's some payola going on. Some songs, if you don't like them the first time or two, soon they grow on you. Rolling in the Deep just plain sucks, no matter how often they play it.

How about the mashup with Moby's Extreme Ways (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5v-FlwR650)?

Brown Eyed Girl
04-27-2011, 09:03 PM
I don't understand. I like this song a lot and I work in retail so I've been hearing it incessantly for months. This is how I feel (http://youtu.be/BnBau6fL8S8) about it. I also enjoy Adele and Regina Spektor. I did like Alanis, Joan Osborne, Stevie, and Natalie Merchant back in the day.

I'm indifferent to the lyrics in Dog Days, but I will go on record as saying if you have to spell a whole friggin' phrase that is the title of your song, you're not a great songwriter. Now, someone please go tell Noah and the Whale.

GAAAWWWD, I hate that song!

digs
04-27-2011, 09:08 PM
Not a huge fan of Florence, but her duet with Mr Rascal at last year's BRITs was the dog's bollocks.

I've never before written down a phrase with the intent of working it into my conversations for the next week.

And I agree with the OP on Flo & the M. "Overblown" is how I described them a while ago.

And if you can't write metaphors that actually, y'know, MEAN something, go find someone who can.

elfkin477
04-27-2011, 09:42 PM
I like Florence and the Machine fairly well. But not "Dog Days Are Over." "Heavy in Your Arms" and "Rabbit Heart (Raise It Up)" are several orders of magnitude better. Even "Kiss With a Fist" is much better.

If this was the SATs, it'd be:
"Dog Days Are Over" are to Florance and the Machine as:
A. "Hey There Delilah" is to Plain White T's
B. "Fly" is to Sugar Ray
C. "Independently Happy" is to Blue October
D. "I'm Just a Girl" is to No Doubt

but any are the right answer.

Argent Towers
04-27-2011, 10:02 PM
"I'm Just A Girl" is a pretty good song though, and I'd say it's well representative of No Doubt's style.

elfkin477
04-28-2011, 07:37 PM
"I'm Just A Girl" is a pretty good song though, and I'd say it's well representative of No Doubt's style.We'll have to agree to disagree then. IMHO it aptly fits the theme of "tailored to be radio friendly=sucks." I know it sure turned me off the band until I forced to see them to honor an ill-advised promise to my little brother...I left the concert a fan, but still hate that song.

born too late
04-29-2011, 08:22 AM
I'm on board with this. I tend to dislike vocalists that sing low-register throaty, warbly, mumbly bellow (like Eddie Vedder, forex). Song is catchy, but it seems very calculated. The kids seem to like it, tho.

Spice Weasel
04-29-2011, 09:10 AM
I love this song. My favorite line is, ''You can't carry it with you if you want to survive.'' To me, the song is about going through hell and suddenly realizing everything is going to be okay.

Argent Towers
04-29-2011, 06:55 PM
Could one of the many fans of this wretched song take a stab at justifying the line "Run fast for your mother, fast for your father, run for your children, for your sisters and brothers" as anything other than shitty lyric-writing? It means absolutely nothing. It's a lame, space-filler lyric (and it's a horrifically lazy rhyme).

Stoid
04-29-2011, 07:56 PM
I love that song and I really like the band and her...she just weirds me out because I think she looks far, far older than her age.

coolbyrne
04-29-2011, 08:45 PM
Could one of the many fans of this wretched song take a stab at justifying the line "Run fast for your mother, fast for your father, run for your children, for your sisters and brothers" as anything other than shitty lyric-writing? It means absolutely nothing. It's a lame, space-filler lyric (and it's a horrifically lazy rhyme).

You should probably list some lyrics you find more appealing for comparison, because really, I could name a multitude of memorable songs that are comprised of shitty lyric-writing meaning absolutely nothing.

For the record, I'd list "You Got the Love", "Rabbit Hole" and "The Girl with One Eye" well ahead of "Dog Days", though to be fair, none of my local stations play anything from the album.

Spice Weasel
04-29-2011, 10:51 PM
I take it to mean, ''Escape, leave the past behind, if not for your own sake then for those you love.''

Brown Eyed Girl
04-30-2011, 09:43 AM
I interpret it the same way olives does. But it doesn't sound to me like she tried to rhyme, otherwise you'd run for your father before your mother.

But I think songs can be great even with shitty lyrics. Here's an example:

A mulatto, an albino
A mosquito, my libido
Yeah

:rolleyes: And I really liked Nirvana, too. Contradictions, yeah I get it. Still dumb.

irishgirl
04-30-2011, 10:57 AM
It's not a band.

"Florence and the Machine" is what Florence Welch was known as when it was just her and her drum machine.

Now she has a band, but FATM is not a band as such- it's just her with people she has hired to play the music.

I've seen her live, and it was great.

And, FWIW ""Hurricane" captures a feeling about the end of relationship and it does it very well.

Oh, and I like Adele too. Sorry.

FloMachineBLOWSDICK
08-22-2012, 02:51 PM
GOD BLESS IT!! Florence and the machine is boring lame ass pretentious radio friendly garbage that is one of the reasons why music is such absolute shit these days. I signed up to these message boards just to fully support your claim that this audio fecal matter is one of the absolute most unoriginal boring awful huge music label attempts at selling music to young "hip" soccer moms and doosh bag hipsters on iTunes. I had high hopes for the future a few years back for music, but instead of becoming an interesting and eclectic mix of all the pop culture and media that has come to a head in the new millenium, we're forced to be expected to enjoy some of the absolute worst music ever put together. If you dig Florence and the Machine you are just proving the industry correct that people will dig anything that is labeled as "deep" or "music that harks to the old fashion true singer and songwriters" blah blah blah. Lady Gaga is about the only thing that is fresh, exciting, provocative and enjoyable. I hope Florence gets ass cancer.

drastic_quench
08-22-2012, 02:57 PM
Nice username. I'm sure you'll flourish here.

MPB in Salt Lake
08-22-2012, 03:07 PM
I would probably like F&TM a bit better if she would actually change their name to doosh bag hipsters....

Kimballkid
08-22-2012, 03:26 PM
Doosh bag. Hahahaha! Too funny.

msmith537
08-22-2012, 03:28 PM
Happiness does not remotely affect someone in a comparable manner to a bullet in the back.

I don't really have the time to analyze the lyrics in depth right now. But I suppose it would be an apt metaphore if the happiness was sudden and unexpected and even unwanted (with overtones of a destructive nature). Which kind of makes sense in the overall context of the song. "Dog days" are literally the most uncomfortibly hot and sulty days of summer. So all that taken with all the "run for your blah blah blah..." sort of implies a woman in some sort of unpleasent situation, suddenly being hit by some life altering and possibly forbidden happiness she has been avoiding. Most likely the song is about a woman having an affair of a sexual nature.

At least that's what I take from it.

Anyhow, I can see why her music might not appeal to some. Florence + the Machine can sort of sound like Tori Amos amped up on crack.

I look foward to deep Great Debate discussions with FloMachineBLOWSDICK.:D

Snowboarder Bo
08-22-2012, 03:39 PM
Maybe the band is ok and it's just that one song that sucks.

No, I think the band sucks and maybe has one song that's okay. I haven't heard that song yet, but even the Smiths got it right once, so I figure this band could too.

Every time I hear them I think that someone crossed Alanis Morrisette with Beyonce and this is what they got.

drewtwo99
08-22-2012, 03:47 PM
No, I think the band sucks and maybe has one song that's okay. I haven't heard that song yet, but even the Smiths got it right once, so I figure this band could too.

Every time I hear them I think that someone crossed Alanis Morrisette with Beyonce and this is what they got.

For me the one song is Shake It Out. Fabulous song. Haven't heard any others though.

Enderw24
08-22-2012, 04:03 PM
I like the band.
It doesn't insist upon itself.

GargoyleWB
08-22-2012, 04:47 PM
I like Flo 'n Ma's music, but find her stage image and performance style annoying and effected. The twirly arm-wavy swaying lace-gown spirit-goddess act was already eye-roll inducing when Stevie Nicks and Ann Wilson were doing it.

Viridiana
08-22-2012, 04:51 PM
Ha! Great! Give me an opportunity!

I can't stand her. I think she's a pretensious diva with lots of friends in the British press who write it up as fantastic when she as much as farts. Lyrics are so-so, voice is okay, but the main complaint is that there's no good music in there to speak of and she covers this up by a "me me me, look at ME" type of melodrama. I think it is tragic that music is so homogenized and risk-free these days that people seem to believe makes her the epitome of creativity.

Hope the OP is happier now, I certainly feel better.

(I do love her dress-sense. Shame.)

I agree wholeheartedly with these statements. Few other artists are being flung at me with more of a "you're supposed to find me deep and interesting" aura about them, but the songs are just as simplistic and commercialized as the rest of your top-40 pablum.

pulykamell
08-22-2012, 06:09 PM

Bite your tongue! The Smiths are unassailable. (Out of curiosity, what is the one song? "How Soon is Now?")

Anyhow, I know it's an old thread,but I never could get into Florence & the Machine, either. That song annoyed the crap out of me. Perhaps the only other song and band to annoy me more was Foster the People and "Pumped Up Kicks." Don't ask me why. I don't know. But that song makes me want to stab something.

WOOKINPANUB
08-22-2012, 08:14 PM
I like Flo 'n Ma's music, but find her stage image and pedrformance style annoying and effected. The twirly arm-wavy swaying lace-gown spirit-goddess act was already eye-roll inducing when Stevie Nicks and Ann Wilson were doing it.

I have to agree on all points. Also with the person upthread who said Florence looks much older than her age, which I think is due to her horrific fashion sense, which someone else said they like.

When I opened this thread I didn't realize it was old and that I had in fact posted to it when it was new. After reading it, I was already mentally composing my reply when I came upon my original answer, which was word for word what I was going to say again; particularly my disagreement of who the OP considers good. Some things never change, exceept maybe the varying of individual mileage.

Snowboarder Bo
08-22-2012, 10:24 PM
Bite your tongue! The Smiths are unassailable. (Out of curiosity, what is the one song? "How Soon is Now?")

Aye, that's it. Love the guitar work, and Morrisey's whinging finally fits the music just right. If the band had only released that one song and then called it quits, I'd be hailing them as geniuses today.

HazelNutCoffee
08-22-2012, 10:39 PM
I am still curious as to which Regina Spektor song includes her screaming.

SecretaryofEvil
08-23-2012, 12:04 AM
I like Florence and the Machine.

My favorite by them is Seven Devils
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10k3JwZUXlc

Although, I might be biased in favor of that song because it reminds me of Game of Thrones.

Made in Macau
08-23-2012, 03:03 AM
I hate them too. Her voice ... it hurts. I couldn't get into a discussion about the lyrics or the band as I have to leave when she starts honking like a lost goose.

MiM

pulykamell
08-23-2012, 08:13 AM
Aye, that's it. Love the guitar work, and Morrisey's whinging finally fits the music just right. If the band had only released that one song and then called it quits, I'd be hailing them as geniuses today.

Yeah, I figured of all the Smiths catalog, that would be the one up your alley. Morrissey can be a bit precious , but there's some great pop music and musicianship behind all those Smiths songs. Took me awhile to get used to Morrissey's delivery, but I think it's worth it for Marr, Rourke, and Joyce.

kushiel
08-23-2012, 03:04 PM
Because I am too lazy to listen for myself, someone direct me to anything else by Florence and the Machine that I'd like if like her/their song Breath of Life (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROtBbOcdFxo). I am not hipster enough to have heard much else, I just found that one via the Snow White and the Huntsman soundtrack.

MrDibble
08-23-2012, 04:08 PM
It's weird - Florence and the Machine on the face of it sounds like a band that I should like, and yet I don't. Kind of reminds me of the Eurhythmics in that way - just did not like, even though it was right up my alley.

An Arky
08-23-2012, 09:34 PM
Too boring for me to even pay enough attention to hate.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.