PDA

View Full Version : Introduce me to the Trans-Siberian Orchestra

Apocalypso
04-26-2011, 07:53 PM
People have been telling for a long time to check out the Trans-Siberian Orchestra based on some of the other bands I listen to (Rhapsody, Blind Guardian, etc). So I checked out the video for Wizards in Winter and a few others and really liked them. I know pretty much nothing about them though, so maybe someone here can give me some ideas on what would be good cd's to start off with.

Is all their music Christmas/winter related? Do they have periods that are considered to be "better"? How much have they changed members over the years and how has that affected the music? I'm more into the heavier, faster stuff I've heard, though the slower, more vocal stuff was ok too.

salinqmind
04-26-2011, 09:11 PM
They come here to our city almost every year around Christmas. 'Christmas In Sarajevo' is awesome! I've read where the band splits up during the holiday season and so are able to tour both coasts at the same time, with a big classical orchestra. They were here last month with a new Beethoven-centered show, so it's not just Christmas.

Doug Bowe
04-26-2011, 09:18 PM
They are coming to my place with the same show salin mentioned. A few years ago I had to go online to get information about a promotion they were running around Christman. I got tour dates that had them appearing the same day at several different agendas. I believe there is more than one TSO.

MissTake
04-27-2011, 08:14 AM
Indeed, there are two separate touring TSOs - east coast and west coast. Their Christmas shows are great. Lots of fire, lasers, cool lighting, and (IMO) great music. It is a story concert, very few changes from year to year.

Right now they're touring Night Castle, which is pretty good. Their other non-Xmas album is Beethoven's Last Night. Between the two, I prefer Night Castle.

Exapno Mapcase
04-27-2011, 09:32 AM
PBS showed an infomercial a documentary on the group called "Trans Siberian Orchestra: The Birth of Rock Theater." If you can get past the founder, who it turns out also funded and produced the special, telling you over and over that he is the greatest thing in the history of music, he gives a good deal of their history and the long takes from the various shows made me want to see them.

I don't know if it is available outside of a PBS showing, but check your local listings.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.