PDA

View Full Version : Donald Keene to return to Japan

TokyoBayer
04-27-2011, 09:17 AM
Keene just announced this (http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/dy/national/20110423dy02.htm). NEW YORK--Renowned expert in Japanese literature and culture Donald Keene, who recently announced his intention to gain Japanese citizenship and move permanently to Tokyo, wants to "be with the Japanese people," he told The Yomiuri Shimbun.

Keene, a professor emeritus at Columbia University, said the Great East Japan Earthquake had inspired the decision.

"Japan will surely resurrect itself from the disaster to become an even more splendid country than before, I believe," the 88-year-old, speaking in Japanese, said in an interview held Friday at his home in New York. "So I'll be moving to Japan in a positive frame of mind."For people who are not familiar with the world's most prominent scholar of Japanese literature, Keene is one of the Greatest Generation Japanologists, men who came with the occupation and introduced Japan to post war America.

When I first came to Japan in the 80s, it was through their eyes that I learned more about this country than what my beginning language skills could support.

There may be others, but the three I closely associate are Keene, Edwin Reischauer, and Donald Richie.

It will be a pleasure to have him back. I hope to go to a lecture if he gives one.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.