PDA

View Full Version : The Monobookist - A book store that sells one book.

astro
04-28-2011, 03:30 PM
There can be only one! (http://www.cnn.com/2011/LIVING/04/28/one.book.bookstore/)

New York (CNN) -- Andrew Kessler gets it. His first novel, "Martian Summer: Robot Arms, Cowboy Spacemen, and My 90 Days with the Phoenix Mars Mission," debuted at a time when the publishing world is floundering, bookstores are folding and eBooks are flourishing.

So the writer who spent three months embedded with NASA's mission control with unprecedented access to the Phoenix Expedition in 2008 decided his next venture would be more ambitious. He launched a bookstore in New York's trendy West Village and stocked it with just one book, his own.

Chronos
04-28-2011, 09:11 PM
As an Internet business, this makes a lot of sense. And if you want to call your warehouse a "store" to handle the occasional local who'd prefer to walk up, OK. But I'm guessing that the real estate prices in West Village are way too high for a warehouse, and I can't see how he'll make enough sales that way to justify the cost.

a gassy dragon irl
04-28-2011, 10:23 PM
Does the store have a restroom for customers? (this is important!)

Cheesesteak
04-29-2011, 09:26 AM
I can't see how he'll make enough sales that way to justify the cost.I have a hunch getting an article on CNN is going to help. An article that he would never have gotten by opening a website.

I've seen this article already here and on Fark. Without knowing how his sales are doing, I'm giving this business plan a big WIN in terms of advertising.

cmyk
04-29-2011, 12:02 PM
I'd wander the aisles for hours and hours until he finally walked up to ask if I needed any help, where I'd immediately respond, "No thank you, I'm just browsing."

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.