PDA

View Full Version : The Office 4/28 - Steve Carell's last episode

enalzi
04-28-2011, 08:06 PM
Ten bucks the last thing he says is "That's what she said."

Mahaloth
04-28-2011, 09:13 PM
I'm just watching it now.

I love that Michael gave Oscar a ridiculously terrible gift and laughed at him for taking it graciously.

"He has the lowest opinion of me of anyone!"

Intergalactic Gladiator
04-28-2011, 09:20 PM
I missed what Michael gave Oscar.

The last little bit where he took the mic off was very, very well done. Pam running up was nice, but just before that was what really made it for me.

Deangelo on the sales call and with the cake was pretty bad, though I did like the snack machine s'mores he was making.

Quercus alba
04-28-2011, 09:24 PM
It didn't suck...

It was bewildering seeing Michael act so normal for most of the episode, though.

(Random TV History connection: When I saw the plane take off, I thought that the epilogue could have had Erin coming into the Michael-less sendoff party to announce that his plane had crashed with no survivors... But I'm glad they didn't do that.)

Joey P
04-28-2011, 09:32 PM
A some burlap material with a face drawn on it.

The last little bit where he took the mic off was very, very well done. Pam running up was nice, but just before that was what really made it for me.

I liked that too. I also kinda of like that even though we all know that of everyone on the show, Pam really meant the most to him, by the time she tracked him down, he was already 'done.' A goodbye that should have lasted all day was only a few seconds.

Lamia
04-28-2011, 09:34 PM

A some burlap material with a face drawn on it.Presumably meant to be a scarecrow doll.

Diogenes the Cynic
04-28-2011, 09:37 PM
Jim getting tears in his eyes was a nice touch. That whole scene with him saying goodbye to Michael was nice.

I'm sure it won't happen, but it would be awesome if David Brent ended up being Michael's permanent replacement.

Mahaloth
04-28-2011, 09:45 PM
Ten bucks the last thing he says is "That's what she said."

But this man a beer. That is what Michael said after his mic was taken, right?

AuntiePam
04-28-2011, 09:52 PM
But this man a beer. That is what Michael said after his mic was taken, right?

Ahhh, after he said something like "It'll be nice to get this thing off of me"? Cool. I didn't catch it cuz the mic was off.

I teared up at the scene with Jim, and when Dwight read his recommendation letter.

DigitalC
04-28-2011, 10:00 PM
Very sweet episode, i liked it. Gabe's "walk away bitch" and Michael's advise to him were hilarious.

Diogenes the Cynic
04-28-2011, 10:01 PM
To be exact, he said "it will be a relief to get this off my chest," then he mouthed "that's what she said."

Am I crazy or was Toby's brother Steve Carell?

Diogenes the Cynic
04-28-2011, 10:03 PM
Michael's letter to Dwight and the farewell paintball battle was nice too. There a lot of good little moments. I also liked the little look that Oscar shared with Michael while they were looking at the pictures of Angela's senator and his "aide."

DigitalC
04-28-2011, 10:10 PM
The "nod" to Lost in Translation's shitty ending with Pam saying everything Michael said at the end was a nice touch too.

Joey P
04-28-2011, 10:15 PM
Who played Toby's brother? Was that him also?

pricciar
04-28-2011, 10:23 PM
Man. I thought it was just about perfect. They did touching without being lame. It was a sweet goodbye with a ton of laughs. Terrific episode. I'm glad they were able to give him such an awesome send off. So awesome all the way around.

Loved:
Dwight's letter/paintball
The Jim scene
The fact that Pam wasn't there because she was watching a movie.
The taking off of the mic.
The 'I need to hear your voice" scene.
Dwight's look to Jim when it was clear the new boss was insane.
Michael agreeing to be Erin's Mom.
Erin's phone number joke.

Quimby
04-28-2011, 10:24 PM
This was a nearly flawless episode. There were call backs going back to season one. Hell they showed Michael straightening the award on his desk which has been in the credits since the first episode.

Loved every minute of this and actually found myself getting a little sad.

Munch
04-28-2011, 11:27 PM
"So you guys are following people into the bathroom now?"

Also - the scene of him adjusting the Dundie award on his desk. Was that supposed to be the "original" footage they've been using for the opening sequence this whole time?

Happy Lendervedder
04-28-2011, 11:29 PM
It was all ruined for me when Pam went running up to Michael past security and watched his plane take off from the gates.

I mean, shit, have any of the writers on this show been to an airport since 9/11? Anyone in the cast or crew? You're telling me Pam made it to the airport, parked, bought a ticket, got through security and found Michael at just the right spot to say goodbye and see him off?

There were some funny moments to be sure, but this was just a lame cliche of an ending that's about ten years past actually being feasible.

enalzi
04-28-2011, 11:30 PM
To be exact, he said "it will be a relief to get this off my chest," then he mouthed "that's what she said."

Really? I was right? I didn't even notice!

And yeah, the D'Angelo part fell flat, but otherwise this was a great episode. I like the fact that they didn't do one huge send-off, since they are did the song last episode and the big proposal a few episodes back.

Other great parts:
"You need to hand wash them without water."
"Let me know if you ever air this."

drastic_quench
04-28-2011, 11:45 PM
Did you see Creed drinking from Michael's discarded mug?

I saw Hank's name remaining on his list.

Red Barchetta
04-29-2011, 03:01 AM

To be exact, he actually said "This is going to feel so good getting this thing off my chest."

Joey P
04-29-2011, 06:41 AM

I see RB, already cleared up exactly what he said, but as for the second part, he didn't "mouth it" he said it normally, he just didn't have a mic on him anymore.

What the .... ?!?!
04-29-2011, 07:10 AM
And yeah, the D'Angelo part fell flat, but otherwise this was a great episode. I like the fact that they didn't do one huge send-off, since they are did the song last episode and the big proposal a few episodes back.

D'Angelo is just a terrible character...... the show has had its ups and downs, mainly ups for me, but I can't understand how they messed that up so badly.

Sigmagirl
04-29-2011, 07:17 AM
I thought Toby's brother was a mashup of BJ Novak and Paul Lieberstein. It sounded like Novak to me.

blondebear
04-29-2011, 08:59 AM
Great sendoff to a great character. Fare well, Michael; may you and Holly live happily ever after. Hmmm... I'll be in Boulder next month...wonder if they'll let me couchsurf for a night?

Joey P
04-29-2011, 09:15 AM
I was just asking my sister who she thought Toby's brother was and she mentioned that his IRL brother also writes for the show.
I give you Warren Lieberstein. (http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Warren+Lieberstein+Academy+Television+Arts+q3Qzct5ZFmzl.jpg)
I think we have a winner.

Mahaloth
04-29-2011, 11:07 AM
I'm sure it won't happen, but it would be awesome if David Brent ended up being Michael's permanent replacement.

He wont' be, but he is interviewing for the position in the season finale. Which is cool.

Acsenray
04-29-2011, 11:09 AM
Is there dome reason that's not in a spoiler box?

Diogenes the Cynic
04-29-2011, 11:11 AM
It was promo'd. It's not a spoiler.

Biffy the Elephant Shrew
04-29-2011, 11:28 AM
"Uh-oh."

Good episode, except for the completely over-the-top D'Angelo. I loved the scene of Michael convulsed with laughter over being patronized by Oscar. Did he say "It looks like it was made by a monkey on a farm"? Also loved Phyllis's interest in erotic cakes, and Michael's completely unexpected advice to Toby.

What the hell were those pants Andy was wearing?

singular1
04-29-2011, 11:48 AM
It didn't suck...

It was bewildering seeing Michael act so normal for most of the episode, though.

(Random TV History connection: When I saw the plane take off, I thought that the epilogue could have had Erin coming into the Michael-less sendoff party to announce that his plane had crashed with no survivors... But I'm glad they didn't do that.)

That is exactly the conversation we had at the singular house. Man, I was hugely choked up and teary with Jim and Michael's scene. That was some damn fine writing and acting right there.

RainGrowsBrite
04-29-2011, 11:51 AM
I loved the whole episode... except EVERYTHING to do with D'Angelo. Terrible character. Made me never want to see Will Ferrel again.

I loved all the promos showing who we can expect to see in the future. ESPECIALLY J.C.!

fusoya
04-29-2011, 12:24 PM
Guys, promos are SPOILERS.

Whatever, just glad to hear Will Ferrell's getting fired. An office with neither him or Michael Scott sounds like a pretty decent show.

That Pamela scene at the end was bullshit. It would have been a much stronger finish to cut to commercial right at "let me know if this ever airs".

Rushgeekgirl
04-29-2011, 12:40 PM
I think they brought Will Ferrell's character in to lower the bar so we'll welcome ANY replacement. His parts on this show would have ruined it if it hadn't been so awesome otherwise. Every single scene other than his was perfect.

Diogenes the Cynic
04-29-2011, 12:58 PM
They just didn't do a good job of writing anything for him. It's like they just got "Will Farrell," but then forgot to actually develop any kind of coherent character for him.

DigitalC
04-29-2011, 01:01 PM
D'Angelo is no crazier than Michael on an average day. If this had been a regular office episode with everything Ferrel did being done by Steve Carrel nobody would bat eye.

Dewey Finn
04-29-2011, 01:03 PM
I also kinda of like that even though we all know that of everyone on the show, Pam really meant the most to him, by the time she tracked him down, he was already 'done.' A goodbye that should have lasted all day was only a few seconds.
I was wondering why Pam disappeared for most of the day, and even went to the movies during the workday. Perhaps Jim called her and told her that Michael was headed for the airport and she was going to miss seeing him before he left?

Diogenes the Cynic
04-29-2011, 01:08 PM
She was blowing off work, pretending to shop for supplies but really going to a movie. Jim texted her about what was going on, and she scrambled to catch Michael before he got on the plane.

DigitalC
04-29-2011, 01:15 PM
Nah, she missed Jim's text because she was in the theater. When Michael was leaving she was coming in and probably found out from Jim right then and followed Michael to the airport.

GrandWino
04-29-2011, 01:57 PM
Will Ferrell is the Pope Benedict XVI of Office bosses. You can't follow Pope John Paul Carrell with your real replacement, because the shoes are too big - so you put in a creepy super-old nazi stopgap to buffer expectations.

Biffy the Elephant Shrew
04-29-2011, 01:59 PM
Great. I now have a mental picture of Pope Benedict cramming a gooey handful of cake into his kisser.

Red Barchetta
04-29-2011, 02:02 PM
She was blowing off work, pretending to shop for supplies but really going to a movie. Jim texted her about what was going on, and she scrambled to catch Michael before he got on the plane.

That was a really contrived sequence of events. It seems out of character for her to do it alone, particularly on Michael's penultimate day. Also, meeting him past security was also a huge stretch.

Though as someone mentioned above, the Jim and Michael scene was fantastic.

DiosaBellissima
04-29-2011, 02:50 PM
Also, meeting him past security was also a huge stretch.

I don't know: it's entirely possible she called Jim on her way or something and he booked her a ticket (to anywhere, really), so she could push through security and meet Michael. You'll notice her shoes were off, so she went through security, too. If you run up to a skycap, they'll give you your boarding pass in about 45 seconds (assuming there's no line, etc etc).

Munch
04-29-2011, 02:55 PM
I don't know: it's entirely possible she called Jim on her way or something and he booked her a ticket (to anywhere, really), so she could push through security and meet Michael. You'll notice her shoes were off, so she went through security, too. If you run up to a skycap, they'll give you your boarding pass in about 45 seconds (assuming there's no line, etc etc).

Plus, we have no idea what the security is like at the Scranton airport. In the Kansas City airport, it would be entirely feasible - security checkpoints are at every individual gate (they actually bunch about 3 together at a time), rather than one giant bottleneck at the front.

Biffy the Elephant Shrew
04-29-2011, 03:00 PM
I don't know: it's entirely possible she called Jim on her way or something and he booked her a ticket (to anywhere, really), so she could push through security and meet Michael.

Couldn't be a ticket to just anywhere--she had to go through the same gate Michael went through. That whole scene made no sense being past security: the camera crew went through, too? Michael went through the metal detector still wired up with his mic and transmitter? The scene should have taken place in the lobby.

Red Barchetta
04-29-2011, 03:02 PM
I don't know: it's entirely possible she called Jim on her way or something and he booked her a ticket (to anywhere, really), so she could push through security and meet Michael. You'll notice her shoes were off, so she went through security, too.

I didn't say it was impossible, just a huge stretch. And depending on the airport, she actually would actually have to be selective about her flight, lest she end up in the wrong terminal. All for a 15 second goodbye.

ETA: Plus the problems Biffy the Elephant Shrew mention (did Jim buy the entire camera crew tickets too?)

GrandWino
04-29-2011, 03:20 PM
Did they say that Michael went straight to the airport from work, or did it just seem that way due to editing.

It's reasonable to assume he had to stop by his condo first to make sure everything was in order, pick up his luggage, take a pre-flight crap, etc... Or maybe he had to stop for an early drive-through dinner, or say a final off-camera goodbye to the guy that does his dry-cleaning, who knows? Any one of those thigns would give Pam some extra time to get to Michael.

Red Barchetta
04-29-2011, 03:37 PM
Did they say that Michael went straight to the airport from work, or did it just seem that way due to editing.

He took a taxi. They mentioned several times he was leaving for the airport at 4, implying it was directly from the office.

DigitalC
04-29-2011, 03:39 PM

It's reasonable to assume he had to stop by his condo first to make sure everything was in order, pick up his luggage, take a pre-flight crap, etc... Or maybe he had to stop for an early drive-through dinner, or say a final off-camera goodbye to the guy that does his dry-cleaning, who knows? Any one of those thigns would give Pam some extra time to get to Michael.

Pam didn't need extra time to get to Michael, she was literally right behind him the whole time.

fusoya
04-29-2011, 03:49 PM
Then why the hell didn't she call him and say "im right behind you! Let me drive you to the airport?"

Folacin
04-29-2011, 03:55 PM
Couldn't be a ticket to just anywhere--she had to go through the same gate Michael went through. That whole scene made no sense being past security: the camera crew went through, too? Michael went through the metal detector still wired up with his mic and transmitter? The scene should have taken place in the lobby.

It was presumably the Scranton airport. From the terminal map (http://www.flyavp.com/map.html), there is a single security checkpoint.

DigitalC
04-29-2011, 04:43 PM
Then why the hell didn't she call him and say "im right behind you! Let me drive you to the airport?"

Cause that would ruin the touching ending? she pulled into the parking lot as Michael was pulling out, she got to the airport a minute or two behind him, she had to be right behind him the whole way.

Dewey Finn
04-29-2011, 04:51 PM
Pam didn't need extra time to get to Michael, she was literally right behind him the whole time.
Wait, were we told this, or is this your assumption?

Rigamarole
04-29-2011, 05:09 PM
I don't know what "promos" you guys are talking about. I watch TV on the Internet the way God intended.

Have they somehow indicated that Ferrell is being replaced by someone else?

Jas09
04-29-2011, 05:13 PM
I don't know what "promos" you guys are talking about. I watch TV on the Internet the way God intended.

Have they somehow indicated that Ferrell is being replaced by someone else?Yes. They indicated that something causes him to be unavailable and then list people that are interviewing for the job, including James Spader, Ricky Gervais, and Jim Carrey.

SuperNelson
04-29-2011, 05:53 PM
What the hell were those pants Andy was wearing? Brooks Brothers Embroidered Pants (http://bit.ly/jQhM3n) The patterns vary by season; I've seen mallards in the fall, and Christmas wreaths. The Christmas ones look OK in person, but on TV these just look like Pajamas.

Lamia
04-29-2011, 06:13 PM

I didn't say it was impossible, just a huge stretch. And depending on the airport, she actually would actually have to be selective about her flight, lest she end up in the wrong terminal. All for a 15 second goodbye.

ETA: Plus the problems Biffy the Elephant Shrew mention (did Jim buy the entire camera crew tickets too?)The "documentary" aspect of the show has always required some suspension of disbelief, but this scene was handled more realistically than either of you remember. The cameraman actually does not go through security. I remembered seeing Michael on the other side of an "EXIT ONLY" sign, and just confirmed online (33 minutes into the episode) that the last scene with Michael is shot with Michael and the cameraman on opposite sides of the security checkpoint. The microphone was in the inside pocket of Michael's blazer, and he does not wear it through the metal detector. We actually see him put his blazer in a bin to go through the X-ray machine. The only audio at that point is his previously recorded monologue. We don't hear him speak "live" until after he's put his blazer and overcoat back on.

FWIW I've been to the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton airport to see someone off, and it is not a large airport with multiple terminals. It would be easy enough to find someone there, as there's a single security checkpoint and only a few gates on the other side. When I was there I was amused to see that the gift shop, which is right near the security checkpoint, was full of Office memorabilia.

Red Barchetta
04-29-2011, 06:25 PM
The cameraman actually does not go through security.

Yes they do, afterward. They clearly interview Pam by the gates.

Besides that, I also find it extremely implausible they would even allow the camera crew to get so close to Michael as to allow exchanging an item (the microphone), without passing through security. Were they to, that would be a HUGE hole in security .

Munch
04-29-2011, 06:30 PM
Yes they do, afterward. They clearly interview Pam by the gates.
Uh, there are two sides of the checkpoint you could hold the interview.

Is it really that hard to hold just an ounce of disbelief on this? When I saw the scene, the first thing I thought was, "Christ, the SDMB isn't going to be able to sleep at night because the writers didn't spend 2 minutes of airtime unraveling any potential loopholes regarding airport security."

Red Barchetta
04-29-2011, 06:35 PM
Uh, there are two sides of the checkpoint you could hold the interview. "

Do you think both sides are directly in front of a pair of Jet Bridges? The interview took place between two of them; unless security is also located between the gates, it doesn't make any sense.

Is it really that hard to hold just an ounce of disbelief on this?

Asks the person trying to explain it. It worked for you--great. It didn't work for some of us. Why do you care?

Munch
04-29-2011, 06:40 PM
Why do you care? I really don't know. Why do you? Is there any actual enjoyment in explaining why you didn't enjoy something, and why no one else should either? I'd think that constant nitpickery would just lead to a higher disposition to nitpickery - leading to less enjoyment in the future of other similar entertainment that requires but an ounce of suspension of disbelief. I could certainly be wrong - maybe all this IS enjoyable to you. YMMV.

Biffy the Elephant Shrew
04-29-2011, 06:41 PM
on TV these just look like Pajamas.

That's exactly what I thought!

Red Barchetta
04-29-2011, 06:44 PM
I really don't know. Why do you?

I don't care that you didn't have a problem with it, and that's where we differ. I offered my opinion of the show; people asked about it, I answered--that's a discussion pertinent to the show.

Asking if it's "really that hard to hold just an ounce of disbelief on this?" is both no longer pertinent to the show, but also pointless, as you should well know that I can't retroactively change my perception of the event at the time I watched it. It strained believability, and thereby, my immersion.

maybe all this IS enjoyable to you

Really? :rolleyes:

Lightsaber
04-29-2011, 07:05 PM
Pam wouldn't have made it through security without a body scan given what she smuggles in her blouses.

Munch
04-29-2011, 07:13 PM
Really? :rolleyes:
It was an honest question - there are plenty of people who enjoy nitpicking and over-analyzing things. But I'm done with this line if you think it's a hijack - it'd certainly be more appropriate for an IMHO thread or something.

MyFootsZZZ
04-29-2011, 09:47 PM
I wasn't bothered by that so much, but it crossed my mind. I think remember wondering some of the same types of things in an episode of 'Modern Family'... though I don't quite remember that episode very well.

Anyway, I'm aware it's unlikely to happen IRL, but that's the show now these days.

Waffle Decider
04-29-2011, 11:37 PM
I also like this episode; except for the bits with Deangelo, which I think are stupid.

I think the doll that Michael gave Oscar looks like a voodoo doll.

I wonder if Creed uses the Ladies room on a regular basis?

Diogenes the Cynic
04-29-2011, 11:47 PM
It was established in one of the earlier seasons that Creed only uses the women's bathroom.

Cat Whisperer
04-29-2011, 11:47 PM
<snip>

I wonder if Creed uses the Ladies room on a regular basis?It sure seemed like it from the way Amy reacted to him; I liked him saying to Gabe as he passed him - "Not cool, man."

enalzi
04-29-2011, 11:57 PM
It was established in one of the earlier seasons that Creed only uses the women's bathroom.

He only goes number 2 in the women's restroom. It's the only weird thing he does.

RandMcnally
04-30-2011, 02:05 AM
He only goes number 2 in the women's restroom. It's the only weird thing he does.

I think it was season 3 that established it.

Joey P
04-30-2011, 06:36 AM

He pays good money to go in there.

Mahaloth
04-30-2011, 07:11 AM
I have to reiterate what I said earlier. I think Michael's reaction to how Oscar accepted his gift might be one of his greatest moments. To learn that he realizes just how little the "smart guy" in the office thinks of him and play a prank on him to see his reaction is just classic.

I really do think the show should be ending soon because of its wildly inconsistent quality, but this season brought us a few great Michael moments.

- The Scarn dance(and in a way, the whole movie)

- Him proposing to Holly in Yoda voice

- The gift to Oscar

aktep
04-30-2011, 08:23 AM
ETA: Plus the problems Biffy the Elephant Shrew mention (did Jim buy the entire camera crew tickets too?)

No, the camera crew filmed the scene though the exit lanes of security.

Red Barchetta
04-30-2011, 11:55 AM
No, the camera crew filmed the scene though the exit lanes of security.

You should read the rest of my posts--they clearly film scenes past security shortly afterward.

MyFootsZZZ
04-30-2011, 12:30 PM
You should read the rest of my posts--they clearly film scenes past security shortly afterward.

It would have been better if they shot it more realistically. I don't think I have taken a plane after 9/11 either, (maybe once), so I'm not sure how far Pam and the camera's could have gotten. Like I said, I think 'Modern Family' made the same "mistake" too. I don't think it's that big a deal. To all those trying to argue that they could have done it, I think Red Barchetta's right, But you don't have to let it ruin the end for you.

If it did bother you that's fine too. But like I said, this show is past being grounded to real world scenarios... if it ever was.

I think the ending was quite nice, and I'm sure Red Barchetta not trying to mess it up for me. We just happen to be on a message board where you'll likely hear; "That couldn't happen!".

Red Barchetta
04-30-2011, 12:41 PM
I think the ending was quite nice, and I'm sure Red Barchetta not trying to mess it up for me. We just happen to be on a message board where you'll likely hear; "That couldn't happen!".

Pretty much my thoughts. I never said the ending was ruined for me (nor am I trying to persuade others). I'm merely pointed out the implausible in a series of, what I saw as, contrived events. Of course, the numerous replies afterward make the issue seem much larger than even I felt it was.

TBG
04-30-2011, 07:19 PM
Sheesh, can you just fanwank an explanation like the camera crew got some sort of special clearance ahead of time or something?

I'm just glad the plane didn't explode on take off or anything. I was also getting those aforementioned "there were no survivors" MASH type inklings at one point for some reason.

Biffy the Elephant Shrew
04-30-2011, 08:51 PM
I was also getting those aforementioned "there were no survivors" MASH type inklings at one point for some reason.

Oh yeah, I was thinking "For Og's sake please don't let them do the M*A*S*H thing!"

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.