PDA

View Full Version : Chief's Headress

Jinx
06-24-2011, 03:45 AM
What kind of feathers are the ones used to make a Native American's chief's headress? From what bird(s)does they come?

Darryl Lict
06-24-2011, 03:52 AM
The stereotypical ones that you are probably thinking of are eagle feathers (http://www.encyclopedia.com/topic/headdress.aspx).

The widely recognized headdress of the Plains Indians was usually made of eagle feathers, sometimes with the fur and horns of the buffalo, which were so important to the survival of the tribe

Whack-a-Mole
06-24-2011, 04:00 AM
I would think it might depend on the tribe. Which is to say it depended on where you lived. Eagles are not everywhere in the US.

Jinx
06-24-2011, 04:06 AM
Ah! Thanks! I didn't even think of the eagle! Duuh...

MrDibble
06-24-2011, 06:58 AM
Eagles are not everywhere in the US.
Wait, are you saying eagles don't occur everywhere, or their feathers weren't used everywhere? Because I'd find the former very hard to believe.
ETA or you may have meant "common everywhere", which seems more correct.

TriPolar
06-24-2011, 12:49 PM
Start searching on Indian Headress and you'll see that the type you are talking about has been popularized by the media, but only represents one type of headress. IIRC these were the type used by the Lakota/Dakotas. Other types used other feathers, other basic design structures, and many other materials.

Moirai
06-24-2011, 03:43 PM
Eagle headdresses are illegal to possess unless you can prove ownership prior to the 1962 Bald and Golden Eagle Protection Act, and even then they cannot be purchased or sold. I think it's only a misdemeanor but still...

Here is a beautiful bonnet that was repatriated in 1999- http://www.fws.gov/mountain-prairie/pressrel/99-59.htm

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.