PDA

View Full Version : why "registered" nurse?

grama
07-05-2012, 06:29 AM
My google-fu failed me on this one. Why do people say "I'm a registered nurse" instead of just "nurse", is there a difference? people don't say "I'm a registered teacher/doctor/lawyer"or whatever right?.

Emtar KronJonDerSohn
07-05-2012, 06:51 AM
"Registered Nurse" is the name of their license. There's also "Licensed Practical Nurse" and "Nurse Practicioner" which are other license classes within nursing. Additionally there are Nurse's aids (unlicensed) or Certified Nurse's assistants (licensed) who aren't nurses but perform nurse's tasks under the direction and supervision of a nurse.

Cub Mistress
07-05-2012, 06:55 AM
There are Registered Nurses (RN) Licensed Practical( or in some states Vocational)Nurses (LPN) and Certified Nursing Assistants (CNA, sometimes other titles in other places, patients call them nurses as well as in "bath nurse.") All three are different licenses and have duties/limitations set out by law in state and Federal Nurse Practice Acts. As for why it is "Registered" specifically, I believe that dates back to the days of Florence Nightingale where she trained nurses and their names were placed on a register of professionally trained nurses.

GythaOgg
07-05-2012, 08:25 AM
There are Registered Nurses (RN) Licensed Practical( or in some states Vocational)Nurses (LPN) and Certified Nursing Assistants (CNA, sometimes other titles in other places, patients call them nurses as well as in "bath nurse.") All three are different licenses and have duties/limitations set out by law in state and Federal Nurse Practice Acts. As for why it is "Registered" specifically, I believe that dates back to the days of Florence Nightingale where she trained nurses and their names were placed on a register of professionally trained nurses.

This. In my state, an RN may administer blood products and IV 'push' medications. An LPN is not allowed to do this. Some states require that an LPN work only under the direct supervision of an RN. State nurse practice laws vary a lot

grama
07-05-2012, 08:42 AM
Ok, so one could say that an R.N is a professional nurse while an L.P.N is more of a technician?.

md2000
07-05-2012, 08:52 AM
Ok, so one could say that an R.N is a professional nurse while an L.P.N is more of a technician?.

When the provincial government here had a hardon a decade or two ago to replace RNs with much cheaper LPNs, the cynics suggested the government saw them as "Real Nurse" vs. "Let's Pretend Nurse".

When I was in college, the RN's were taking a 4-year bachelor program with the anatomy, chemistry and medical courses and were getting as good training as almost anyone except doctors. LPN's, I think, are a 2-year community college course.

Registered Nurse, "Real Nurse", whatever you call it - it is a distinct name that separates the more professionally trained, more technical types from those who do somewhat similar work but at a less technical level. This is distinct from the situation where Engineers, or Doctors/MD's, Dentists - have a name that common use and law reserve just for them. (If you don't count "sanitary engineers", I guess)

grama
07-05-2012, 09:11 AM
Ok, I got it. Thanks

Polycarp
07-05-2012, 10:51 AM
Add that a (Registered) Nurse Practitioner has gone for additional P.G. studies and is able to, e.g., prescribe medicine under the general superviion of an M.D.

Northern Piper
07-05-2012, 11:28 AM
... people don't say "I'm a registered teacher/doctor/lawyer"or whatever right?.

Although usage may vary, in many jurisdictions, the term "lawyer" is restricted to individuals who have passed the Bar and are registered with the relevant Law Society, so using the term "lawyer" is similar to being a "registered" nurse.

grama
07-05-2012, 02:23 PM
And what do you call a "lawyer" that hasn't passed the bar exam?. just curious.

friedo
07-05-2012, 02:27 PM

A guy with a lot of student debt.

phreesh
07-05-2012, 02:45 PM

IANAL :), but I don't think they get to be called anything. Just somebody who knows a lot more about the law than the average person.

Musicat
07-05-2012, 02:49 PM
And what do you call a "lawyer" that hasn't passed the bar exam?. just curious.A fry cook.

md2000
07-05-2012, 03:11 PM

IANAL :), but I don't think they get to be called anything. Just somebody who knows a lot more about the law than the average person.

Exactly. "IANAL" :D

picunurse
07-05-2012, 05:57 PM
"Registered Nurse" is the name of their license. There's also "Licensed Practical Nurse" and "Nurse Practicioner" which are other license classes within nursing. Additionally there are Nurse's aids (unlicensed) or Certified Nurse's assistants (licensed) who aren't nurses but perform nurse's tasks under the direction and supervision of a nurse.

CNAs are not licensed, they are certified. They take classes and get certified.
RNs and LP(V)Ns take state tests to be licensed in their state.
They may have to take a new test in each state in which they work. California has the highest standard.
States will accept test scores from any state whose standard is higher than their own.

Northern Piper
07-06-2012, 07:41 AM

In Canada, I would say, "Someone with a law degree."

There's some variation on this point in usage. In previous discussions on this Board, some American posters have stated that "lawyer" in US usage can mean one trained in the law but not necessarily called to the Bar, and that "attorney" is reserved for someone who is actually called to the Bar.

That's not the usage I'm familiar with. In Canada, "lawyer" is reserved for someone who is called to the Bar. If you have a law degree but aren't called, you're not a lawyer, and in fact using the term without being called is illegal. See for example The Legal Profession Act of Saskatchewan (http://www.qp.gov.sk.ca/documents/English/Statutes/Statutes/L10-1.pdf);

False pretences
32(1) No person, other than a member who holds a certificate or a person who is authorized to practise in accordance with rules made pursuant to clause 10(i), shall:

(a) pretend or hold himself or herself out to be a lawyer or a barrister and solicitor; or

(b) take, assume or use any name, title, addition or description other than one that the person actually possesses and is legally entitled to or that implies or is calculated to lead people to infer that the person is a lawyer or member or is recognized by law as a lawyer qualified and entitled to practise law or do business as a lawyer in Saskatchewan, or in any way publish or advertise himself or herself as such.

(2) No person who is not a member in good standing shall use the designations “barrister”, “solicitor”, “barrister and solicitor”, “lawyer” or “attorney”.

Kent Clark
07-06-2012, 11:00 AM
My mother was an RN while her sister was an LPN. My mother had quite a bit more professional training. The big difference I can remember is that my mother administered drugs, gave injections and started IV drips on her own (that is, with doctor's orders, of course) while my aunt could only do those things under supervision. Also, my mother was allowed to administer controlled substances and my aunt wasn't, even under supervision.

jabiru
07-06-2012, 08:03 PM
As for why it is "Registered" specifically, I believe that dates back to the days of Florence Nightingale where she trained nurses and their names were placed on a register of professionally trained nurses.

Flo was fiercely opposed to the Registration of nurses.

pravnik
07-06-2012, 10:38 PM
In Canada, I would say, "Someone with a law degree."

There's some variation on this point in usage. In previous discussions on this Board, some American posters have stated that "lawyer" in US usage can mean one trained in the law but not necessarily called to the Bar, and that "attorney" is reserved for someone who is actually called to the Bar.That's surprising, and definitely not the case in my jurisdiction. If you call yourself a lawyer here, you'd better have a bar card or you're committing a crime.

Northern Piper
07-06-2012, 10:41 PM
It surprised me too, but that's my recollection of the conversation.

alphaboi867
07-07-2012, 12:28 AM

A law graduate (or, at least in the US, "Doctor").

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.