PDA

View Full Version : Musings on Watching the Whole "Friends" Series

Cat Whisperer
09-19-2012, 10:39 PM
Just because I like to share with all my good buddies here. :)

Season One:
- Let's just get this out of the way at the start - holy crap, big pants! Everyone is wearing pants up to their armpits!
- Pilot - Joey's hair is very, very weird.
- Paolo is not that good-looking. He's kind of weird-looking, actually.
- Ross says he's 26 and divorced, but later Monica says she's 26 (when inadvertently dating a 17 year old). Somebody's lying!
- Hey, Phoebe was married to Steve Zahn!

Season Two:
- The One With the Breast Milk - wow, Emily Procter's original face!
- I finally noticed that Matthew Perry is missing the tip of his middle finger on his right hand. I've only watched every episode of a ten year run at least once without noticing that. Now I can't *not* see it.
- Brooke Shields is pretty damned funny as a mentally-unbalanced woman.
- Everyone on the show has gorgeous hair. Really, really gorgeous hair. Man, I love their hair.

Will continue updating my musings as I keep on watching.

The Other Waldo Pepper
09-20-2012, 07:37 AM
- Ross says he's 26 and divorced, but later Monica says she's 26 (when inadvertently dating a 17 year old). Somebody's lying!

Is that necessarily a lie? Say they were born a year and a half apart -- such that Monica is 25, and Ross about to turn 27, in the pilot -- and that Monica only turns 26 "later" (say, "right before dating that 17 year old"). Where's the contradiction?

Cat Whisperer
09-20-2012, 10:18 AM
Is that necessarily a lie? Say they were born a year and a half apart -- such that Monica is 25, and Ross about to turn 27, in the pilot -- and that Monica only turns 26 "later" (say, "right before dating that 17 year old"). Where's the contradiction?
Hmmm. Okay, since it happened in the first season when things were not set in stone yet, I will buy your explanation. :)

Tamarin
09-20-2012, 10:26 AM
Hmmm. Okay, since it happened in the first season when things were not set in stone yet, I will buy your explanation. :)

Since I just watched this episode and I'm also in the process of re-watching the series, I remember that she tells the guy (Ethan) that she's 25...and 13 months.

Cat Whisperer
09-20-2012, 10:26 AM
You can often see a "Reserved" sign on the coffee table in front of the couch where they always sit in Central Perk.

ETA: Hey, re-watching a non-current tv series buddies! :)

Cat Whisperer
09-20-2012, 11:49 AM
Woman still wore pantyhose in those days. Freak show.

The extras in this show are unbelievable - I recognize so many of them. The latest - Frau Farbissina from "Austin Powers" as the wedding planner in "The One With Barry's Wedding."

WordMan
09-20-2012, 11:58 AM

The extras in this show are unbelievable - I recognize so many of them. The latest - Frau Farbissina from "Austin Powers" as the wedding planner in "The One With Barry's Wedding."

She's in everything. I just saw her in a Doctor Who episode...one from the Eccelston and/or early Tennant periods...

Smid
09-21-2012, 07:19 AM
Joey and Chandler have the same hair and are quite hard to tell apart in the first season.

It lost a lot when the monkey left.

SykoSkotty
09-21-2012, 10:02 AM
If you watch Jennifer Anniston close enough, you can see that the studio they worked in must've been very very cold.

WordMan
09-21-2012, 10:12 AM
If you watch Jennifer Anniston close enough, you can see that the studio they worked in must've been very very cold.

"Watch her close enough"?! - what else would we be doing if there were Aniston high-beams on display?

That's, like, Man Rule #27.

Cat Whisperer
09-21-2012, 11:27 AM
"I use my breasts to get attention!"
"I do that too!"

My husband calls it "raisin smuggling." :D

Cat Whisperer
09-21-2012, 11:35 AM
A little throw-away line that still makes me snort - Chandler in the bathroom wearing Julia Roberts' underpants. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ab-Dca2eWAE) At about 3:10 when Ross comes into the bathroom and tells Joey, who is standing on a toilet, staring into the other cubicle - "Joey, some people don't like that." That just tickles my funny bone! :)

WOOKINPANUB
09-21-2012, 12:31 PM
I didn't kow that about Matthew Perry's finger. Now that's all Ill be looking at when I watch.

Jennifer Anniston changed quite a bit physically at around the third season, IIRC. Aside form the obvious - aging and weight loss- something happened to her face. I imagine she might have had some work done, but I can't quite put my finger on what. Her voice and mannerisms also changed.

Ross is my least favorite character but he can be pretty funny when they write him as a goofball. "PiVOTTTTT!".

I think my favorite episode is Thanksgiving when Ross and Monica's parents come over and they don't know Monica and Chandler are dating. At the end, everyones' secrets are revealed."No, you weren't supposed to put beef in the trifle. It did not taste good.

I don't care for any of the episodes in the Rachel's pregnancy story arc.

Whenever I hear anyone talking about something happening in London I have to fight the urge to yell "in LONDON!", Joey style.

chrisk
09-21-2012, 01:15 PM
I think my favorite episode is Thanksgiving when Ross and Monica's parents come over and they don't know Monica and Chandler are dating. At the end, everyones' secrets are revealed."No, you weren't supposed to put beef in the trifle. It did not taste good.

Yes, that's a great little moment, especially because Mrs Gellar just knocks it outta the park. "I'm sorry, Phoebe, but I'm afraid that Jacques Cousteau is dead. Joey, if you want to leave... just leave!" :)

Cat Whisperer
09-21-2012, 02:01 PM
Season Three, The One With the Flashbacks, has Marissa Ribisi as Rachel's old friend - Marissa Ribisi is apparently Giovanni Ribisi's twin sister. Who knew?

The elder Gellars are amazing throughout the whole series.

Helena330
09-21-2012, 02:03 PM
If any kitties are around when I'm cleaning boxes they get a round of "Smelly Cat". :rolleyes: :D

borschevsky
09-21-2012, 02:06 PM
Whenever I hear anyone talking about something happening in London I have to fight the urge to yell "in LONDON!", Joey style.Me too! I think my wife was ready to throw me out by the end of the olympics.

Push You Down
09-21-2012, 02:09 PM
One thing I noticed a lot in the early seasons... "unattractive" people regularly appeared and even dated the core cast.

Paulo--already mentioned.
An early episode had Monica with a new boyfriend who she was afraid to introduce to everyone... that dude was off looking (really gangly, long hair and a beard) even for the early 90s. Yet...those weren't the jokes.

Eventually once the show was an uber-hit, it was all models all the time.

Sally Mander
09-21-2012, 02:26 PM
One thing I noticed a lot in the early seasons... "unattractive" people regularly appeared and even dated the core cast.

Paulo--already mentioned.
An early episode had Monica with a new boyfriend who she was afraid to introduce to everyone... that dude was off looking (really gangly, long hair and a beard) even for the early 90s. Yet...those weren't the jokes.

If we're thinking of the same guy, that was Fisher Stevens. The one who sort of psychoanalyzed all of them? Yep, Fisher Stevens.

SaharaTea
09-21-2012, 02:30 PM
Seasons 2-5 were the best, IMO.

It's an unpopular opinion but Ross was always my favorite character. The episode where he tries to wear leather pants on a date, only to have it go horribly awry, still makes me howl with laughter.

Monica started out as loveably OCD but became annoyingly uptight and shrill by the end.

Cat Whisperer
09-21-2012, 03:10 PM
I'm developing a new appreciation for Ross - I'm getting the feeling that the actor, David Schwimmer, was having a really good time making Ross ridiculous. :)

enalzi
09-21-2012, 03:12 PM
If we're thinking of the same guy, that was Fisher Stevens. The one who sort of psychoanalyzed all of them? Yep, Fisher Stevens.

Fisher Stevens was Phoebe's boyfriend. Monica's boyfriend was some other guy.

Misnomer
09-21-2012, 03:37 PM
An early episode had Monica with a new boyfriend who she was afraid to introduce to everyone... that dude was off looking (really gangly, long hair and a beard) even for the early 90s. Yet...those weren't the jokes.If we're thinking of the same guy, that was Fisher Stevens. The one who sort of psychoanalyzed all of them? Yep, Fisher Stevens.Fisher Stevens was Phoebe's boyfriend. Monica's boyfriend was some other guy.Monica's boyfriend was Alan, played by Geoffrey Lower. It was the third episode of the first season (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0583653/): everyone winds up liking Alan more than she does. :)

suranyi
09-21-2012, 05:45 PM

It's an unpopular opinion but Ross was always my favorite character. The episode where he tries to wear leather pants on a date, only to have it go horribly awry, still makes me howl with laughter.

Monica started out as loveably OCD but became annoyingly uptight and shrill by the end.

Yeah, Ross was my favorite character too. I think because he reminded me of myself, with all my flaws magnified tenfold.

Helena330
09-21-2012, 07:11 PM
::snip::

She did, and Courtney Cox became alarmingly thin, IMO.

Cat Whisperer
09-21-2012, 07:13 PM
She did, and Courtney Cox became alarmingly thin, IMO.As did Jennifer Aniston. She started the series being adorable and sexy (to my hetero woman's eyes, anyway) - I've heard rumours that she lost 30 pounds during the series' run, which was 30 more than I thought she should have lost.

River Hippie
09-21-2012, 08:27 PM
Favorite quote..."Yesterday I was at rock bottom. Today, there's rock bottom...then thirty feet of crap...then me."

River Hippie
09-21-2012, 08:30 PM
Another favorite line was when Tom Sellick was telling Monica about the conversation with her father when Sellick confessed he was dating her.

"It's been a long time since your father and I went running."

RickJay
09-21-2012, 09:25 PM

Ross's inherent stupidity when it comes to relationships worked best when they introduced new things for him to be embarassed by. There's also the terrific episode where he gets his teeth over-whitened (Chandler: "What was wrong with your human teeth?") and terrifies his date when they glow under blacklight.

Where he became tiresome was in his dealings with Rachel, where he simply didn't develop, at all, for eight or nine years. Right to the end he remained a selfish oaf.

Cat Whisperer
09-21-2012, 10:26 PM
Another favorite line was when Tom Sellick was telling Monica about the conversation with her father when Sellick confessed he was dating her.

"It's been a long time since your father and I went running."Hah - that was a great line. Tom Selleck was very good in the show - I didn't know he was that funny. Julia Roberts, on the other hand, was not excellent in her guest role.

<snip>
Where he became tiresome was in his dealings with Rachel, where he simply didn't develop, at all, for eight or nine years. Right to the end he remained a selfish oaf.Most characters on sitcoms are not very well-balanced, nice people. :)

WOOKINPANUB
09-21-2012, 10:35 PM
Favorite quote..."Yesterday I was at rock bottom. Today, there's rock bottom...then thirty feet of crap...then me."

I meant to bring this up back when Moneyball first came out, but did anyone notice that Brad Pitt says almost this exact line in that movie? I didn't see the film, but I saw a preview with him saying this - I don't really know the context- and I immediately remembered Jennifer Aniston saying it on Friends.

I think Friends was best when it remained light hearted. The worst episodes / story arcs were when it tried to take itself too seriously. I suppose a show that goes on that long has to show the characters aging and tackling life issues such as marriage and pregnancy but for me that's when it's not particularly enjoyable anymore.

Meyer6
09-21-2012, 11:02 PM
Ross's inherent stupidity when it comes to relationships worked best when they introduced new things for him to be embarassed by. There's also the terrific episode where he gets his teeth over-whitened (Chandler: "What was wrong with your human teeth?") and terrifies his date when they glow under blacklight.

Where he became tiresome was in his dealings with Rachel, where he simply didn't develop, at all, for eight or nine years. Right to the end he remained a selfish oaf.

There was another good one where he went to a tanning booth and accidentally got a really dark tan on the front of his body and no tan on the back.

I agree that Ross and Rachel's relationship was tiresome, and I don't even think it was necessary for the series. I always found it pretty unbelievable that either of those characters would actually choose to date the other.

And, like the OP, I always notice the giant pants in the old episodes. And Monica and Rachel often wear tiny little t-shirts that don't even reach the top of their huge pants. Did we all have our pants up so high back then?

Strassia
09-21-2012, 11:09 PM
I meant to bring this up back when Moneyball first came out, but did anyone notice that Brad Pitt says almost this exact line in that movie? I didn't see the film, but I saw a preview with him saying this - I don't really know the context- and I immediately remembered Jennifer Aniston saying it on Friends.

I think Friends was best when it remained light hearted. The worst episodes / story arcs were when it tried to take itself too seriously. I suppose a show that goes on that long has to show the characters aging and tackling life issues such as marriage and pregnancy but for me that's when it's not particularly enjoyable anymore.

I think the show really shined in the B plots. Luckily they all took turns being in these lighter, less significant, but more funny portions.

My absolute favorite moment in the whole series is at the end of the episode where the B plot was about Chandler and Rachael stealing cheesecakes from the door of an old woman upstairs (the fist was delivered to them by mistake, but they just couldn't stop taking them after the first taste). They had been arguing about returning the last cake and dropped it all over the floor in the hallway. After a cut away, they are on hands an knees eating any piece that they think is not touching the floor. In walks Joey, to their embarrassment. But Joey pulls a spoon out of his pocket, sits down and asks "So, what are we eating?" Credits.

That completely cracked me up. Know idea what the rest of that episode was about, but that moment was priceless.

Chef Troy
09-21-2012, 11:10 PM
Beloved dialogue (Joey has given Chandler a big, ugly gold bracelet):

Joey: (something like) "You know that's really going to change your sex life."
Chandler: "Maybe at first, but once I get used to the extra weight, I'll be right back on top of my game."

a35362
09-21-2012, 11:11 PM
...I think Friends was best when it remained light hearted. The worst episodes / story arcs were when it tried to take itself too seriously. I suppose a show that goes on that long has to show the characters aging and tackling life issues such as marriage and pregnancy but for me that's when it's not particularly enjoyable anymore.

Yes, the show was originally supposed to be about twentysomethings struggling to succeed: working a lot, dating a lot, trying to figure it all out. Eventually you get your feet under you personally and professionally and really start to get somewhere, your attitudes about things change and mature, and you start making choices that will affect your future.

That's a totally different show.

Cat Whisperer
09-21-2012, 11:32 PM
I think the show really shined in the B plots. Luckily they all took turns being in these lighter, less significant, but more funny portions.

My absolute favorite moment in the whole series is at the end of the episode where the B plot was about Chandler and Rachael stealing cheesecakes from the door of an old woman upstairs (the fist was delivered to them by mistake, but they just couldn't stop taking them after the first taste). They had been arguing about returning the last cake and dropped it all over the floor in the hallway. After a cut away, they are on hands an knees eating any piece that they think is not touching the floor. In walks Joey, to their embarrassment. But Joey pulls a spoon out of his pocket, sits down and asks "So, what are we eating?" Credits.

That completely cracked me up. Know idea what the rest of that episode was about, but that moment was priceless.That was one of my favourite moments, too. It was especially lovely because of the pairing - Chandler and Rachel were not a usual pairing.

Sally Mander
09-22-2012, 12:24 AM
Fisher Stevens was Phoebe's boyfriend. Monica's boyfriend was some other guy.

I stand corrected. I haven't seen some of the older episodes in ages. I wish it was on Netflix streaming!

Quimby
09-22-2012, 07:15 AM
I also am a fan of Ross (I always felt I was a cross between Ross' interests and Chandler's personality) but I literally cannot watch the episode where Ross "flirts" with the pizza girl. It's too painful.

Another trivia note: in one of the later season episodes there is a message "Hi Evil Jo" on the boys' apartment message board. That was a shout out to a frequent poster in the Friends Usenet newsgroup. A writer from the show posted often in the group for a while and promised hiding an easter egg and that was it.

Slade
09-22-2012, 07:37 AM
Remember the scene where Chandler's locked in a box as punishment for kissing Joey's girlfriend, Kathy? He explains that the meaning of the box is "threefold": time to think about what he's done; proof of his friendship with Joey, and forcing him to endure physical pain.

Later in the episode, Kathy and Chandler have their sad parting-of-the-ways conversation (with him still in the box) and Kathy asks the others something like "Why is he in the box again?"

"Joey had his reasons," someone replies.
"They were threefold," adds Phoebe.

Lisa Kudrow's delivery of that line slays me every time. She manages to convey in just those three words that Phoebe genuinely thinks she's being helpful by adding this - to Kathy - utterly baffling piece of extra information.

WOOKINPANUB
09-22-2012, 09:07 AM
I also am a fan of Ross (I always felt I was a cross between Ross' interests and Chandler's personality) but I literally cannot watch the episode where Ross "flirts" with the pizza girl. It's too painful.

That's one of my very favorites. Especially the part where he's explaining how the gas oven works. "A lot of other gas smells..."
Another great example of how funny David Shwimmer is when his character is allowed to do more than obsess over Rachel.

Sally Mander
09-22-2012, 09:11 AM
Lisa Kudrow's delivery of that line slays me every time. She manages to convey in just those three words that Phoebe genuinely thinks she's being helpful by adding this - to Kathy - utterly baffling piece of extra information.

Her delivery of lines was always spot-on. The episodes in Vegas, I think it's just after they find out Ross and Rachel are married when Phoebe says, "When you get married in Vegas, you're only married in Vegas." Monica corrects her by telling her when you get married in Vegas, you're married everywhere. Phoebe thinks about this for a moment, then just shrugs, says, "Eh" and walks off. She was so delightfully goofy.

enalzi
09-22-2012, 09:38 AM
My favorite Phoebe line is from The One Where No One Is Ready. She gets hummus spilled on her dress, and walks out of the bedroom a few minutes later with a gigantic Christmas bow over it.

"I couldn't find anything else to where so I figured I would be political."
"What are you supporting?"
"Duh... Christmas."

Lust4Life
09-22-2012, 12:56 PM

If you mean "Creepily stalking her ", then yes, I guess I watched her closely enough.

Lust4Life
09-22-2012, 12:58 PM
I got tired of Chandler and Joey, doing the whole "Hurt married couple "thing.

I always suspected that when the writers had run out of ideas, they'd recycle this joke.

Raygun99
09-22-2012, 05:42 PM
I never understood why Ross, the largest friend, never simply ate the other five.

AncientHumanoid
09-22-2012, 06:17 PM
Ross: (whiny) "My wife is a lesbian."

Joey: "Cool!"

Chef Troy
09-22-2012, 06:22 PM
(Chandler and Joey have invited Ross to a hockey game)

Ross: "Thanks anyway, but I guess I'm just going to go home and think about my ex-wife and her lesbian lover."

Joey: "Screw hockey -- let's ALL do that!"

etv78
09-22-2012, 07:20 PM
Remember the scene where Chandler's locked in a box as punishment for kissing Joey's girlfriend, Kathy? He explains that the meaning of the box is "threefold": time to think about what he's done; proof of his friendship with Joey, and forcing him to endure physical pain.

Later in the episode, Kathy and Chandler have their sad parting-of-the-ways conversation (with him still in the box) and Kathy asks the others something like "Why is he in the box again?"

Kathy played by a young Emily Prentiss. (Paget Brewster)

Larry Borgia
09-22-2012, 09:07 PM
I never understood why Ross, the largest friend, never simply ate the other five.
Maybe they were saving that for sweeps.

Cat Whisperer
09-22-2012, 09:19 PM
I think the more appropriate joke for the series would have been young Monica eating all the other friends. :)

Skald the Rhymer
09-22-2012, 09:28 PM
"Watch her close enough"?! - what else would we be doing if there were Aniston high-beams on display?

That's, like, Man Rule #27.

:: snorts ::

Mid-to-late 90s Jennifer Aniston was cute enough, but mid-to-late 90s Courtney Cox was much cuter, and mid-to-late 90s Lisa Kudrow blew them both out of the water.

(Yes, I'll concede that 2012 Lisa Kudrow is less good looking than 2012 Aniston. Kudrow's older.)

chrisk
09-22-2012, 09:37 PM
:: snorts ::

Mid-to-late 90s Jennifer Aniston was cute enough, but mid-to-late 90s Courtney Cox was much cuter, and mid-to-late 90s Lisa Kudrow blew them both out of the water.

(Yes, I'll concede that 2012 Lisa Kudrow is less good looking than 2012 Aniston. Kudrow's older.)

Ehh, that's a debate that's best left back in the mid-to-late 90s, if you ask me.

Though it did make me laugh when the gang got locked out of Phoebe's taxi, and Joey started a conversation between the girls on whose chest was bigger - for the underwire out of their bras, to break into the car somehow. That conversation mirrored some I watched unfold on the alt.tv.friends newsgroup.

Sealemon88
09-22-2012, 10:07 PM
By far my favorite plot, B or otherwise, was when Joey and Chandler fought over who got to sit in the chair, after whoever was originally there got up to use the bathroom.

"Look at me I'm Chandler! Could I BE wearing anymore clothes?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=de-mXVQL3po&feature=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=w0JgkuNBuWI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q--6wtCPHg8

When Joey starts doing lunges I pretty much laugh myself unconscious.

Zebra
09-22-2012, 10:29 PM
I thought the others were so horrible to Ross that he should have dumped them as friends.

example, the night he was getting some award for his work and everyone was being late to get ready to go to the dinner.

Mona Lisa Simpson
09-22-2012, 10:31 PM

I 100% agree with this post. Everything in it. "Ross in leather pants" is one of my go-to mantras when I know I am kind of feeling glum and projecting unfriendly/angry/fuck-off-world vibes. It makes me smile, and I loosen up and instantly become more approachable.

BrotherCadfael
09-23-2012, 10:40 AM
To me, one of the best lines of the series came from Phoebe in the episode "where everyone finds out", when Monica and Chandler's relationship was openly acknowledged to the other friends.

Phoebe, Rachel, and Joey had each figured out what was going on, and to force Monica and Chandler's hand, they had Phoebe massively hit on Chandler, who had to pretend to go along with it in order to maintain the secret. Ultimately, Chandler folds and admits that he can't kiss Phoebe, because he was in love with Monica. (This admission was as much a surprise to him and Monica as it was to the rest of the gang.)

Phoebe's response encapsulated the entire '90s attitude towards relationships: "I thought you guys were just doin' it - I didn't know you were in love!"

Cat Whisperer
09-23-2012, 12:56 PM
To me, one of the best lines of the series came from Phoebe in the episode "where everyone finds out", when Monica and Chandler's relationship was openly acknowledged to the other friends.

Phoebe, Rachel, and Joey had each figured out what was going on, and to force Monica and Chandler's hand, they had Phoebe massively hit on Chandler, who had to pretend to go along with it in order to maintain the secret. Ultimately, Chandler folds and admits that he can't kiss Phoebe, because he was in love with Monica. (This admission was as much a surprise to him and Monica as it was to the rest of the gang.)

Phoebe's response encapsulated the entire '90s attitude towards relationships: "I thought you guys were just doin' it - I didn't know you were in love!"
I thought you were going to go with one of the other excellent lines from that episode - "I'm very bendy." :D

Quimby
09-23-2012, 07:38 PM
By far my favorite plot, B or otherwise, was when Joey and Chandler fought over who got to sit in the chair, after whoever was originally there got up to use the bathroom.

While it is arguable whether it was invented here or not, those scenes (which were hilarious) certainly fast tracked the phrase "Going Commando" into popular culture.

Yorikke
09-23-2012, 08:38 PM
Was I... was I talking... about gas?

etv78
09-23-2012, 10:03 PM
The braless joke was referenced in an episode of "Married... with Children".

Cat Whisperer
09-23-2012, 11:25 PM
Oh yeah, I remembered another continuity thing from the first season to later seasons - Chandler referred Ross to his guy when he had that thing on his ass - Chandler's guy sliced his third nipple right off for him, yet Chandler had it back on again in later episodes (like the one with the girl with the artificial leg). And then he had it off again in that episode.

Monkey Chews
09-24-2012, 09:44 AM
She's in everything. I just saw her in a Doctor Who episode...one from the Eccelston and/or early Tennant periods...Are you sure? I don't think Mindy Sterling has been in Doctor Who, but I'd be curious to know when and are where, if she did.

I think my favorite episode is Thanksgiving when Ross and Monica's parents come over and they don't know Monica and Chandler are dating. At the end, everyones' secrets are revealed."No, you weren't supposed to put beef in the trifle. It did not taste good."IT TASTES LIKE FEET!" Still our go-to line for my sister and I when we're sampling each other's cooking.

Annie-Xmas
09-24-2012, 10:09 AM

"It's been a long time since your father and I went running."

The birthday party when Monica's parents didn't know she was dating Richard, but only knew he was dating a "twenty year old Twinkie" had some of the best lines.

Jack Bing to Richard: I tell you what. Let's trade. I'll let you use my sports car and you--"
Ross (interupting)--Dad, I'm begging you. Do not finish that sentence.

Later, after Jack has found his signed bat and comes into the kitchen, where his wife his waiting to tell him about Monica and Richard

Jack: Found it.
Ross: I'll take that for you.

He grabs the bat and walks out of the room. The look on Jack's face is priceless.

Cat Whisperer
09-24-2012, 02:09 PM
I just watched the original break-up. Damn. That wasn't funny at all. (For a sitcom, that was some damned fine acting. Actually, that was some damned fine acting, period.)

Cat Whisperer
09-24-2012, 02:33 PM
"Oh, dark mother, once again I suckle at your smoky teat." Said by Gunther after he has a drag of Chandler's cigarette. :D

iamthewalrus(:3=
09-24-2012, 02:37 PM
I think my favorite Friends episode is the one where the Joey and Chandler challenge Monica and Rachel to a trivia challenge about each other. TV Guide comes to Ms. Chanandaler Bong, that Chandler's job title is not Transponster (which is also not even a word), and Monica has eleven categories of towels.

Skald the Rhymer
09-24-2012, 02:47 PM
"Oh, dark mother, once again I suckle at your smoky teat." Said by Gunther after he has a drag of Chandler's cigarette. :D

Are you sure that wasn't Chandler speaking after taking a drag off Gunther's cigarette? It's not like anyone ever cared what happened to Gunther after he lost his soap-opera gig.

Skald the Rhymer
09-24-2012, 02:53 PM
Are you sure that wasn't Chandler speaking after taking a drag off Gunther's cigarette? It's not like anyone ever cared what happened to Gunther after he lost his soap-opera gig.

Checking YouTube, I find that the Cat was right and I was wrong.

etv78
09-24-2012, 03:18 PM
I think my favorite Friends episode is the one where the Joey and Chandler challenge Monica and Rachel to a trivia challenge about each other. TV Guide comes to Ms. Chanandaler Bong, that Chandler's job title is not Transponster (which is also not even a word), and Monica has eleven categories of towels.

And: Joey's favorite food is sandwiches, Monica was "big fat goalie" when she played field hockey, and Rachel lies about her favorite movie.

Cat Whisperer
09-24-2012, 03:49 PM
Checking YouTube, I find that the Cat was right and I was wrong.
Since I just watched it, I was pretty sure. :)

Skald the Rhymer
09-24-2012, 03:53 PM
Since I just watched it, I was pretty sure. :)

I am still making a note of your insolence.

kunilou
09-24-2012, 03:59 PM
"IT TASTES LIKE FEET!" Still our go-to line for my sister and I when we're sampling each other's cooking.

Another time was when Monica was developing recipies for "Mocklate" and the results were revolting, leading to Phoebe's pained cry of "THIS IS HOW EVIL TASTES!"

Motorgirl
09-24-2012, 06:10 PM
There was another good one where he went to a tanning booth and accidentally got a really dark tan on the front of his body and no tan on the back.

That episode had one of my favorite exchanges. Tanning salon guy asks Ross what number he'd like to be.
Ross: I like the way you look. What are you?
Tanning guy: I'm Puerto Rican.

I just love the matter-of-fact delivery by the tanning salon guy.

expectopatronum
09-24-2012, 06:33 PM
I just watched the original break-up. Damn. That wasn't funny at all. (For a sitcom, that was some damned fine acting. Actually, that was some damned fine acting, period.)

oh, yeah, that's a tough episode that hits really close to home. haven't we all had that breakup, with someone you really, really loved, that took hours to finish? it still makes me tear up.

so yeah, i love friends. i love that after seeing each episode a jillion times there are still lines that make me laugh out loud. lots of them are ross lines, like the aforementioned "PIVOT!" and "it tastes like feet!" i also love when he and monica are going through their old things at their parents house and he says "ooh, my rock polisher!" it's all in the delivery.

i agree about monica becoming shrill and annoying in the later seasons. like the episode where she thinks the maid is stealing her clothes, give me a break. that said, i really love that once she and chandler got together, they stayed together. it provided a nice balance for all the ross/rachel will they won't they drama.

i also really love this scene (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18WkV5lQfl0) (skip to about 2:00) when joey is trying to apologize for accidentally proposing to rachel and he goads ross to punch him. he finally does, joey ducks and ross hits a post instead, stumbles back to gunther who's wearing a delighted grin. it really reminds me of the earlier seasons which had a lot more physical comedy.

Quimby
09-24-2012, 08:22 PM
Another time was when Monica was developing recipies for "Mocklate" and the results were revolting, leading to Phoebe's pained cry of "THIS IS HOW EVIL TASTES!"

Dark Online Fan Theory: Monica eating so much of the Mocklate is why she and Chandler were unable to conceive years later.

My continuity issue with Friends is when Ross and Rachel drift apart the first time, Ross is made to look foolish for being jealous because Mark has a fiance. The fiance is never mentioned again and a few episodes later Mark indeed is into Rachel.

RickJay
09-24-2012, 10:46 PM
And: Joey's favorite food is sandwiches, Monica was "big fat goalie" when she played field hockey, and Rachel lies about her favorite movie.
She says it's "Dangerous Liasons."

It is, in fact, "Weekend at Bernie's."

etv78
09-24-2012, 11:20 PM
Rick-that's what I was refering to. ;) BTW, don't touch Ross' food, especially his sandwich!

Cat Whisperer
09-24-2012, 11:56 PM
Rick-that's what I was refering to. ;) BTW, don't touch Ross' food, especially his sandwich!
I thought Joey doesn't share food!

Raygun99
09-24-2012, 11:59 PM

I actually much prefer her reading of "But they don't *know* that we know that they know...", which is a simple line on the page but almost impossible to deliver correctly. (And then Matt LeBlanc's exasperated sigh into his hands that the ruse was going to continue capped it off)

PeskiPiksi
09-25-2012, 12:34 AM
My all time favorite Friends moment is Phoebe and the bagpipes (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0z18rM68D8&feature=related). Never, ever fails to make me laugh like a loon.

(Watch to the end to get the blooper version of the scene, too.)

Cat Whisperer
09-25-2012, 12:41 AM
I am still making a note of your insolence."Insolence"?!? My husband calls me insolent too - I don't know *where* you guys are getting that!

My all time favorite Friends moment is Phoebe and the bagpipes (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0z18rM68D8&feature=related). Never, ever fails to make me laugh like a loon.

(Watch to the end to get the blooper version of the scene, too.)Oh yeah, Phoebe and the Bagpipes. I love watching the bloopers and seeing that the cast could barely hold it together long enough to film the scene. :D

Wheelz
09-25-2012, 07:28 AM
I actually much prefer her reading of "But they don't *know* that we know that they know...", which is a simple line on the page but almost impossible to deliver correctly. (And then Matt LeBlanc's exasperated sigh into his hands that the ruse was going to continue capped it off)"Joey, you can't tell anybody!"

"Couldn't if I wanted to."

BobLibDem
09-25-2012, 09:05 AM

Yes, there was a time when women cared about how their legs looked. Remarkable.

SykoSkotty
09-25-2012, 09:29 AM
Just adding yet another Friends gem:

Chandler is depressed at Thanksgiving - Monica goes to his apartment with a huge raw turkey on her head, complete with a hat and sunglasses. She does this goofy dance and Chandler says "I love you...." followed by Joey walking in, seeing the turkey and freaking out. I laugh to the point of tears every time I see it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Orv_ic3acRw

Slade
09-25-2012, 09:40 AM
If I ever write a book about continuity flubs in network TV, I'm going to call it How Big Is Chandler's Dick?

It's established early in the show that he is - at best - averagely endowed (think of Joey's derisive laughter at Rachael's attempts to make him "this generation's Milton Berle"). Then, much later, there are several gags suggesting just the opposite. The scene with Phoebe staring into Chandler's bathtime bubbles and offering Monica an impressed "mazel tov" is just one example.

friedo
09-25-2012, 10:30 AM

The great thing about that episode is the fact that they all bet to see who knows the most about the group, and of course the real winner is Ross, writer of all the trivia questions. And none of them seems to recognize this.

Misnomer
09-25-2012, 10:34 AM
The great thing about that episode is the fact that they all bet to see who knows the most about the group, and of course the real winner is Ross, writer of all the trivia questions. And none of them seems to recognize this.IIRC, they didn't "all bet": Ross and Phoebe weren't part of the trivia challenge. The contest was only for Monica & Rachel and Chandler & Joey, to determine who would get the "good" apartment.

Wheelz
09-25-2012, 11:31 AM
The great thing about that episode is the fact that they all bet to see who knows the most about the group, and of course the real winner is Ross, writer of all the trivia questions. And none of them seems to recognize this.Well, not necessarily. Since Ross was tasked with writing the questions, of course he'll know all the answers. That doesn't mean there aren't also things the others know that he doesn't.

Cat Whisperer
09-25-2012, 11:42 AM
Oh yeah, I remembered another continuity thing from the first season to later seasons - Chandler referred Ross to his guy when he had that thing on his ass - Chandler's guy sliced his third nipple right off for him, yet Chandler had it back on again in later episodes (like the one with the girl with the artificial leg). And then he had it off again in that episode.
Oops - my bad - I got confused from watching an episode on tv out of order - Chandler did NOT have a nipple re-growth!

Push You Down
09-25-2012, 12:48 PM
Gandalf the Party Wizard --the friend of Ross and Chandler's who takes them on crazy adventures--led to my favorite joke.

Joey: Who's Gandalf?
Ross: 'Who's Gandalf?' Didn't you read Lord of the Rings in high school?
Joey: No, I had sex in high school.

Sally Mander
09-25-2012, 01:48 PM
Ross: "I've got Canadian money, a snake bite kit and an extra pair of socks!"
Chandler: "Dude, it's not gonna be exactly like last time!"

Wheelz
09-25-2012, 02:27 PM
"Seven... Seven... Seven! Seven! Seven! seven...." (holds up seven fingers)

Sally Mander
09-25-2012, 02:48 PM
Ross: "Chandler entered a Vanilla Ice look-alike contest and won!"
Chandler: "Ross came fourth and cried!"

Annie-Xmas
09-25-2012, 03:04 PM
I'm surprised that the subject of Chandler's transvestitie father has been raised. Monica insists on inviting him (her?) to their wedding, so they go to Vegas.

Chandler: And there's Daddy.
Monica, positively drop-jawed: That cannot be your father.
Chandler: Believe me, I've been saying that for years.

And this later exchange between Chandler's parents.

Daddy: You cannot see the bride in her dress before the wedding. That's bad luck.
Mommy: I saw the groom in my wedding dress.
Daddy: Yes, but that was after the wedding, so it wasn't bad luck.
Mommy: Well, believe me, it wasn't good luck.

Mommy was played by Morgan Fairchild, and Daddy by Kathleen Turner!

Sally Mander
09-25-2012, 03:20 PM
Ross: "We were on a break!"
Chandler: "Oh, my God! If you say that one more time, I'm going to break up with you!"

MaxTheVool
09-25-2012, 03:38 PM
Ross: "We were on a break!"
Chandler: "Oh, my God! If you say that one more time, I'm going to break up with you!"

I think your friend "Pheebs" is right...

jsc1953
09-25-2012, 03:44 PM
She says it's "Dangerous Liasons."

It is, in fact, "Weekend at Bernie's."

I could've sworn that it was "Chariots of Fire" and "WaB 2", but you're definitely right about the first half, and probably about the second.

The trivia contest may be my favorite scene of the whole series.

Sally Mander
09-25-2012, 04:17 PM
RickJay is right; it was definitely Dangerous Liaisons and Weekend At Bernie's.
That episode is one of my favorites.

etv78
09-25-2012, 04:17 PM
I thought Joey doesn't share food!

Ross' boss threw his sandwich out. Ross scream,"My SANDWICH! My SANDWICH!!"

Cat Whisperer
09-25-2012, 04:46 PM
Gandalf the Party Wizard --the friend of Ross and Chandler's who takes them on crazy adventures--led to my favorite joke.

Joey: Who's Gandalf?
Ross: 'Who's Gandalf?' Didn't you read Lord of the Rings in high school?
Joey: No, I had sex in high school.Joey was played as fairly dim, but he held his own in his own way.

That's right! In all fairness, Joey *always* didn't share food, and Ross just had issues with it when the rest of his life was crumbling. :D

I just met Phoebe's birth mom again - Terri Garr was some of the finest casting in the history of television as Phoebe Sr. She looked like Phoebe, she acted like Phoebe, she even *sounded* like Phoebe.

WOOKINPANUB
09-25-2012, 09:31 PM
Joey was played as fairly dim, but he held his own in his own way.

That's right! In all fairness, Joey *always* didn't share food, and Ross just had issues with it when the rest of his life was crumbling. :D

I just met Phoebe's birth mom again - Terri Garr was some of the finest casting in the history of television as Phoebe Sr. She looked like Phoebe, she acted like Phoebe, she even *sounded* like Phoebe.

<Monica>I know!<M> Sometimes she could get all floopy.

I just saw a couple from when Rachel had the baby. Sorry to belabor the point, but man did I hate those episodes. Still, the worst episodes of Friends were better than the average episode of most anything else on at the time,

CaptMurdock
09-25-2012, 11:29 PM

That was also the episode where Monica, some months after she and Richard broke up, was going to date Richard's adult son. Everybody else was giving her crap for it. She finally gets pissed and says, "Fine, judge all you want. But...
(points at Ross) married a lesbian...
(points at Rachel) left a guy at the alter...
(Phoebe) married a gay ice dancer...
(Joey) threw a girl's prosthetic leg in a fire...
(Chandler) LIVING IN A BOX!!"

Courtney Cox's delivery of this is priceless.

It's when he goes, "Boy it's hot in all these clothes...too bad I'm going commando.." Chandler's reaction makes me laugh till I lose my breath.

Monica (berating Rachel for blowing the question): "'Chandler Bing'? We steal that TV Guide every week!"

Chandler: "I knew it!"

:D Great laughs.

EvilMinion
09-26-2012, 02:17 AM
Three pages and no mention of Joey's "moo point"? It's like a cow's opinion, it doesn't matter. It's his delivery of the last line, like he's imparting wisdom to Rachel, that cracks me up.

MegaBee
09-26-2012, 06:53 AM

To be fair, that sandwich sounded delicious. It had the Moistmaker!

Cat Whisperer
09-26-2012, 12:26 PM
It occurred to me a few episodes ago that David Schwimmer really could have taken his shirt off a lot more in the show - dude was BUILT!

And, Parading goats are parading, parading down the street, parading goats are parading, leaving little treats. :D

(You can hear it amongst this selection of Phoebe Buffay's Greatest Hits. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7TPHSMAszQ) :D )

El_Kabong
09-26-2012, 12:49 PM
Another vote for the trivia contest episode. Absolutely brilliant. Some of the lines crack me up just thinking about them.

A few other favorites I haven't seen mentioned yet:

The one where Phoebe builds a elaborate dollhouse that eventually catches fire and burns to the ground;

The alternate universe episode where amongst other things, Chandler and Rachel hook up and Phoebe has become a high-powered stockbroker, complete with stress heart attack

The one where Phoebe teaches Chrissie Hynde how to play "Smelly Cat" properly.

And so many little throwaway bits of silliness involving Chandler and Joey being guys, like the "fireball" game.

Wheelz
09-26-2012, 01:14 PM
And, Parading goats are parading, parading down the street, parading goats are parading, leaving little treats. :D

(You can hear it amongst this selection of Phoebe Buffay's Greatest Hits. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7TPHSMAszQ) :D )One of my favorite Phoebe songs, which she performs for a group of little children:

Oh, the cow in the meadow goes Moo
Then the farmer hits her on the head with a hammer
And that's how we get hamburgers

La la la la, la la la la la la....

Cracks me up evey time.

El_Kabong
09-26-2012, 01:22 PM
A few other favorites I haven't seen mentioned yet:

>>The alternate universe episode where amongst other things, Chandler and Rachel hook up and Phoebe has become a high-powered stockbroker, complete with stress heart attack<<

Whoops, looks like I was conflating a flashback episode from early in the series with "The One That Could Have Been" from Season Six. Whatever, they were both good.

Mona Lisa Simpson
09-26-2012, 04:36 PM
"The One with Joey's New Girlfriend" has Phoebe getting a cold and a husky bluesy voice. Later she is trying to write a blues song but complained to monica that "nothing that sad has ever happened to her?" Monica looked incredulous and said "What about when your mom died and you had to live on the street?" Phoebe just looks at her then said "I know, I'll write about when my hair did that woo-woo thing!"

Love that.

enalzi
09-26-2012, 08:03 PM
One of my favorite Phoebe songs, which she performs for a group of little children:

Then the farmer hits her on the head with a hammer
And that's how we get hamburgers

La la la la, la la la la la la....

Cracks me up evey time.

Sometimes men like women,
Sometimes men like men,
And then there are bisexuals
but most of them are just kidding themselves...

WOOKINPANUB
09-26-2012, 10:23 PM
Another fun Ross moment that I watched today; when Phoebe is selfconscious because she's never been in a long term relationship and Ross makes up the story of Vikram to fool Mike (Yay, Paul Rudd!). "Hello, this is Vikram. . ."

Speaking of Paul Rudd, what a fun addition he was to the show. When Phoebe has dinner at his parents house for the first time and is putting on her high class, Eastern Seaboard personality. I love when he says " I want them to meet Phoebe, not "Ffeeebeh". Sorry, hard to convey in print but he delivers the line so well.
Lisa Kudrow was also especially good in that episode. "Soooooo, wheh do you all summeh?"

Cat Whisperer
09-27-2012, 07:54 PM
I could've sworn that it was "Chariots of Fire" and "WaB 2", but you're definitely right about the first half, and probably about the second.

The trivia contest may be my favorite scene of the whole series.
I watched that episode today - it really was one of the best ones. The whole fourth season is great so far - they've really hit their stride here.

Cat Whisperer
09-28-2012, 01:21 PM
The One With Rachel's Crush (on Joshua) - we meet "How you doin'?" for the first time. :D

Skald the Rhymer
09-28-2012, 01:24 PM
The One With Rachel's Crush (on Joshua) - we meet "How you doin'?" for the first time. :D

Notable, to me, because none of the girls think it will work until Joey actually does it, when it promptly does. I think someone had to physically restrain Phoebe from jumping Joey's bones.

(Of course, I'm in the camp that says Joey & Phoebe were quietly having sex for years and just never told anyone else about it.)

Cat Whisperer
09-28-2012, 01:42 PM
Oh yeah - Joey turns it on Phoebe, and she gets all giggly. It's so cute! I must discount your theory about Joey and Phoebe, though, because Joey couldn't keep a secret that long even if he wanted to.

Holy crap, Charlton Heston was in "Friends"! I totally forgot about that!

Skald the Rhymer
09-28-2012, 01:46 PM
Oh yeah - Joey turns it on Phoebe, and she gets all giggly. It's so cute! I must discount your theory about Joey and Phoebe, though, because Joey couldn't keep a secret that long even if he wanted to.

Holy crap, Charlton Heston was in "Friends"! I totally forgot about that!

Joey could certainly keep a secret. Years passed before Chandler knew that he licked spoons and then put them back.

A better argument against Joey & Phoebe being secret fuck buddies is that it's difficult to imagine Phoebe remaining just his fuck buddy. Recall how she reacted when he mistakenly thought she was pregnant and almost immediately* proposed. "Hell yes, I'll marry you!"

*Well, first he did go off to the kick the ass of the guy he thought had abandoned Phoebe in her time of need.

silenus
09-28-2012, 02:33 PM
My absolute favorite expression on the show was the look on Ross's face when, after all the drama about being late to the banquet where he was getting an award, and Joey and Chandler wearing each others clothes and going commando, everybody rushes out the door and Rachel emerges from the bedroom in a very slinky dress, smiles at Ross and says "Guess what? I'm going commando too."

Absolutely priceless, and I generally hate Ross as a character.

enalzi
09-28-2012, 02:45 PM
Joey could certainly keep a secret. Years passed before Chandler knew that he licked spoons and then put them back.

Well, he wasn't keeping that a secret, Chandler just never knew. Joey didn't see any sort of problem with it.

Mona Lisa Simpson
09-28-2012, 04:27 PM
I really can't remember the exact line and am too busy to google it, but the whole Phoebe's twin Ursula shows were quite funny. The line about "How did you know it was my birthday?" "Twins thing." never fails to crack me up. Ursala made Phoebe look like a rocket surgeon.

WOOKINPANUB
09-28-2012, 10:57 PM
I have a question that may or may not be Friends related Not even sure how to pose it. Okay, I have this vague, fraction of a memory niggling at my brain of two male characters having a conversation whereby one is, I don't know - lamenting something-and the other one mocks him in a condescending, talking to a small child type of voice. He says something like " ,awwwww, did it hurrrrrt?" or, ugh. I don't remember what. When I try to think of the details it's just out of my reach but I have a feeling it might have been a Joey scene. Sparse details I know, but since you're all Friends fans I thought it might sound familiar. It's driving me crazy because I can hear the tone and the cadence but I don't know how to convey it in words.

simster
09-28-2012, 11:38 PM
In the episode(s) where Joey had an apartment of his own - he had a chair - it was the same chair that was in Worf's quarters on ST: TNG - anyone have a clue what that chair is?

MsWhatsit
09-29-2012, 12:17 AM
In the episode(s) where Joey had an apartment of his own - he had a chair - it was the same chair that was in Worf's quarters on ST: TNG - anyone have a clue what that chair is?

It's called the Stokke Garden Chair (you can see it on this page (http://www.designerheaven.co.uk/officefurniture.htm) or just Google for it) but does not seem to be available for sale anymore.

Cat Whisperer
09-29-2012, 12:32 AM
I have a question that may or may not be Friends related Not even sure how to pose it. Okay, I have this vague, fraction of a memory niggling at my brain of two male characters having a conversation whereby one is, I don't know - lamenting something-and the other one mocks him in a condescending, talking to a small child type of voice. He says something like " ,awwwww, did it hurrrrrt?" or, ugh. I don't remember what. When I try to think of the details it's just out of my reach but I have a feeling it might have been a Joey scene. Sparse details I know, but since you're all Friends fans I thought it might sound familiar. It's driving me crazy because I can hear the tone and the cadence but I don't know how to convey it in words.
I don't think I've heard this exchange yet, but I'll keep my ears peeled for it. :)

simster
09-29-2012, 12:43 AM
It's called the Stokke Garden Chair (you can see it on this page (http://www.designerheaven.co.uk/officefurniture.htm) or just Google for it) but does not seem to be available for sale anymore.

Thank you!

Quimby
09-29-2012, 06:42 AM

There's an early first season episode where Ross gets hit with a hockey puck and goes to the ER. The nurse is a horrible unsympathetic woman who I think might say that line.

Mean Mr. Mustard
09-29-2012, 08:18 AM
My absolute favorite exchange, which beautifully illustrates Phoebe’s goofiness, is from the episode where Ross is challenged to make a list of all 50 states.

Ross is struggling, he has only 49 states identified. Phoebe decides to give it a go. A bit later, the others return:

(paraphrased)

Someone: How’s it going, Pheebs?

Phoebe: I got bored with states, so I decided to list all the types of lettuce.

Someone: Oh? How many do you have so far?

Phoebe: Just one. Regular lettuce.

mmm

a35362
09-29-2012, 08:55 AM
There's an early first season episode where Ross gets hit with a hockey puck and goes to the ER. The nurse is a horrible unsympathetic woman who I think might say that line.

Is this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44vxq7lDqQ4) what's you're thinking of? She appears around 1:30 and again around 6:00.

MostlyClueless
09-29-2012, 09:07 AM
Phoebe and Chandler are my favourites.

Also, rewatching this stuff on youtube, I was amazed at how progressive most of it was. Gay relationships and gender issues are sometimes used as a punchline, but as far as I can tell never derisively.

WOOKINPANUB
09-29-2012, 09:28 AM

That was a funny one! " Oh, thaat's attraaaactive". Not what I have in my addled mind, though. It's definitely a guy who says it which is what makes the delivery especially funny.

WOOKINPANUB
09-29-2012, 03:04 PM
Eeeeep! I think I remeber it. I couldn't find it on Youtube, but I think it's the one where Joey takes Chandler to his movie preview and Chandler falls asleep. ???Like, maybe Chandler says "I was so tired" and Joey says" Ohhhhhh, were you tiiiiiired?!" I dunno gang, but it's driving me crazy.

Sally Mander
09-29-2012, 03:42 PM
Are you sure you aren't thinking of the one where they all go to the beach, and Phoebe invites along her friend Bonnie (played by Christine Taylor) who likes Ross, except now she's bald, and we meet Phoebe's mom, played by Teri Garr?

There's that great scene where Ross falls asleep reading the 18-page (front and back!) letter from Rachel, where she expects him to accept responsibility for their breakup. Ross admits he fell asleep, and Rachel mocks him.
Ross: "It was 18 pages! FRONT AND BACK!!! I fell asleep!"
Rachel: (in a mocking tone) "You fell asleep?"

Meyer6
09-29-2012, 03:52 PM
My absolute favorite exchange, which beautifully illustrates Phoebe’s goofiness, is from the episode where Ross is challenged to make a list of all 50 states.

Ross is struggling, he has only 49 states identified. Phoebe decides to give it a go. A bit later, the others return:

(paraphrased)

Someone: How’s it going, Pheebs?

Phoebe: I got bored with states, so I decided to list all the types of lettuce.

Someone: Oh? How many do you have so far?

Phoebe: Just one. Regular lettuce.

mmm

I could be wrong, but I think it's celery.

Chef Troy
09-29-2012, 04:01 PM
I have a question that may or may not be Friends related Not even sure how to pose it. Okay, I have this vague, fraction of a memory niggling at my brain of two male characters having a conversation whereby one is, I don't know - lamenting something-and the other one mocks him in a condescending, talking to a small child type of voice. He says something like " ,awwwww, did it hurrrrrt?" or, ugh. I don't remember what. When I try to think of the details it's just out of my reach but I have a feeling it might have been a Joey scene. Sparse details I know, but since you're all Friends fans I thought it might sound familiar. It's driving me crazy because I can hear the tone and the cadence but I don't know how to convey it in words.Well, it'd be quite a long shot, but in the original Robocop, when the bad guys have just given Murphy a massive case of lead poisoning, the black character says almost that exact line in a high-pitched voice. Here's a link to a youtube clip (I skipped over most of the ultraviolence).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VclFEwUGdY0&feature=player_detailpage#t=153s

Mean Mr. Mustard
09-29-2012, 08:58 PM
I could be wrong, but I think it's celery.

Tomato, tomahto

mmm

Maserschmidt
09-29-2012, 09:09 PM
I love when Ross & Rachel are in the planetarium, including the part where she misunderstands what happened with the juice box. :)

Quimby
09-29-2012, 10:21 PM
Well, it'd be quite a long shot, but in the original Robocop, when the bad guys have just given Murphy a massive case of lead poisoning, the black character says almost that exact line in a high-pitched voice. Here's a link to a youtube clip (I skipped over most of the ultraviolence).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VclFEwUGdY0&feature=player_detailpage#t=153s

I had this exact same thought. Here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJ0Sxr2gvV8) is the clip of him saying that just by itself.

Cat Whisperer
09-30-2012, 07:52 PM
"Whup-PAAA!"
"What is that?"
"Whipped."
"Whipped is "Wha-CHHHHHH!""
"That's what I did. "Whup-PAAA!""
"You...can't do anything!"

From "The One With All the Wedding Dresses," which is also one of my favourites. :D

El_Kabong
09-30-2012, 08:27 PM

Could it be this one? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_RAjGxNeSs&feature=related) From Season five, first two minutes of the clip. Joey has a girlfriend (Soleil Moon Frye) who likes to punch him, and the rest of the gang makes fun of him for complaining about it.

Cat Whisperer
09-30-2012, 09:47 PM
Heh. Remember when Ross had all the hair in America? :D

WOOKINPANUB
10-01-2012, 09:10 AM
Thanks to all who tried to help me figure it out. It's actually season 8, episode 22 "The one where Rachel is late". Joey is berrating Chandler for falling asleep during his movie premier and Chandler says "I feel so bad, I couldn't sleep last night" and Joey says something like "are you upset; did you lose sleeeeeeeep?"
It'snot that hilarious or anything, just a cute line that my brain was teasing me with.

Push You Down
10-01-2012, 03:25 PM
Phoebe and Chandler are my favourites.

Also, rewatching this stuff on youtube, I was amazed at how progressive most of it was. Gay relationships and gender issues are sometimes used as a punchline, but as far as I can tell never derisively.

I don't know about that... I think the stuff with Chandler's drag queen father was a little throw-back.

simster
10-01-2012, 03:35 PM
I don't know about that... I think the stuff with Chandler's drag queen father was a little throw-back.

It was handled matter of factly the way a jokester son typically would - he wasn't so much embarrased by it (that he was a drag queen) as he was by how 'she' acted in general.

or atleast thats the way I took it.

Cat Whisperer
10-02-2012, 10:15 AM
Rachel is a horrible, horrible person - Hugh Laurie said it, I believe it, that settles it. :D

Jennifer Aniston and Hugh Laurie in the plane is one of the best scenes in the series - brilliant frigging casting! And Hugh Laurie looks like he's about 30 - so young!

Cat Whisperer
10-02-2012, 11:55 AM
Hey, T.J. Thyne (Dr. Jack Hodgins from "Bones") (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0862328/) was the young doctor that Phoebe made cry when she was giving birth to the triplets!

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.