PDA

View Full Version : My mother-in-law does not like chivo

Bricker
09-26-2012, 11:44 AM
As a consequence, my wife never learned to make it. When we visit the Dominican Republic, though, I always try to con a friend into making chivo liniero, which is a goat meat stew, not spicy hot, but very spicy flavorful. So far, the winners have been a Santo Domingo restaurant and one of our friends, with our friends' version standing out ahead of the commercial version.

All that changed this week, and I didn't need a passport.

We found a restaurant in downtown DC that serves Dominican and Cuban dishes. My wife got the chicharron she was craving, and I got some absolutely first rate, delicious chivo.

Just wanted to brag.

Caffeine.addict
09-26-2012, 12:45 PM
You can't post something like that, and not tell us the name of this place.

Bricker
09-26-2012, 02:29 PM
You can't post something like that, and not tell us the name of this place.

Good point.

Los Hermanos (http://www.yelp.com/biz/los-hermanos-washington-2), in Columbia Heights, just off 14th Street.

Loach
09-26-2012, 03:45 PM
I'm not looking for goat but I do like a lot of the other cuisine. I'll have to check it out next time I'm in DC.

Blank Slate
09-26-2012, 03:51 PM
Los Chivos Hermanos?

Vinyl Turnip
09-26-2012, 04:56 PM
Someone tell me I'm not the only one who thought this was going to be about his MIL's dislike of DVR-based entertainment.

Bricker
09-27-2012, 05:07 AM
Los Chivos Hermanos?

Breaking Good.

kaylasdad99
09-27-2012, 11:07 AM
Dude, it's the twenty-first century; men have been allowed into their own kitchens for a couple of generations by now.

What's stopping you from learning to make chivo?

Bricker
09-28-2012, 02:43 PM
Dude, it's the twenty-first century; men have been allowed into their own kitchens for a couple of generations by now.

What's stopping you from learning to make chivo?

I'm a very good baker and pastry guy. Savory foods are not my forte.

Caffeine.addict
09-28-2012, 05:10 PM
Good point.

Los Hermanos (http://www.yelp.com/biz/los-hermanos-washington-2), in Columbia Heights, just off 14th Street.

I may check it out this weekend.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to: sdsubscriptions@chicagoreader.com.

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.