PDA

View Full Version : Fringe Season 5

N9IWP
09-28-2012, 01:54 PM
Heads up, Fringe returns tonight (Friday September 28) with "Transilience Thought Unifier Model-11"

Brian

stegon66
09-28-2012, 09:11 PM
Looks to be a great final season!

Loved the nod to Three Colors: Blue.

mage-girl
09-28-2012, 09:59 PM
Thought it was very cool so far!

It will be sad to see it end, but at least it gets an actual ending (unlike other sf shows that get canceled). :)

cmyk
09-28-2012, 10:24 PM
Kicks off with just the right tone and pacing. Nice to see the anomalous episode from last season (Letters of Transit) now pay off.

Too bad they didn't keep "Desmond" as a character. Seems like they did find a Scottish replacement, tough.

Glad it appears the actress playing Etta can act. The reunion scene between her and Olivia was really well done.

Also, that ending with Walter and the music was perfection.

Cat Whisperer
09-29-2012, 12:41 AM
Okay, that made slightly more sense to me than most of the episodes last year. I hope they dial the incomprehensible down a bit this year - I don't need to be spoon-fed my science fiction, but I do need to be able to make sense of it.

BTEzra04
09-29-2012, 07:01 PM
I love John Noble. I didn't realize how much I love this show and missed it until I saw this premiere.

Did I read somewhere that they'll be switching back and forth between the years (i.e., the future and where we left off at the end of the last season) or was I just imagining it, or read it as fan speculation? Either way, I think that would be a fun angle.

woodstockbirdybird
09-29-2012, 07:44 PM
From what I read, this season will take place in the future, following this one story arc all season (no monsters of the week episodes). Though I imagine there will be a return to the present in the finale, at least.

Alessan
09-30-2012, 01:19 AM
Though I imagine there will be a return to the present in the finale, at least.

That's assuming they press a big reset button at the end - which is not something this show is prone to do.

woodstockbirdybird
09-30-2012, 02:32 AM
I don't know if they'd need a reset button as much as just a flashback, but it's true they may just keep it all in the future, since they're pretty much the same ages as they are in the present.

Smid
09-30-2012, 08:30 AM
I seem to have lost the plot a bit on this one.

So Peter and Olivia were talking about losing their child. Was Etta stolen from them by the Observers? Been a while and I occasionally fall asleep during their monster of the week episodes...

simster
09-30-2012, 09:22 AM

So Peter and Olivia were talking about losing their child. Was Etta stolen from them by the Observers? Been a while and I occasionally fall asleep during their monster of the week episodes...

I don't think we have observed what happened there yet....

Barkis is Willin'
10-01-2012, 10:12 AM
I'm with Smid. I had to look up season 4 on wiki. Last season ended with the team foiling William Bell's Island-of-Dr.-Moreau plan, Olivia getting shot and then getting better, and September (the good observer) warning them that "They are coming." Apparently he was referring to the bad observers. And Olivia was pregnant, presumably with Etta. But it was apparently almost 4 years until the observers actually did come. Should be interesting to see how things fill in.

tanstaafl
10-01-2012, 03:58 PM

Yes. In the flashback/dream to when the Observers invaded, Olivia, Peter and Etta are in the park (Etta is playing with the dandelions). The Observers show up and grab Etta, Peter tries to find her, then the explosion and he and Olivia are in the emergency hospital and he is looking for her.

We don't have the details, but that seems to be what they are talking about.

TBG
10-01-2012, 06:22 PM
I didn't mind the future thing as a one-off episode or two, but I dunno about making it the entire final season like they're apparently doing. Things were already a little too different with nobody remembering Peter's life.

Fair Rarity
10-01-2012, 09:13 PM
I didn't mind the future thing as a one-off episode or two, but I dunno about making it the entire final season like they're apparently doing. Things were already a little too different with nobody remembering Peter's life.

Yeah, that's kind of my point of view. I've been reading this threat to mostly see if I could figure out wtf happened in the episode, as it all went over my head. I'm sure it was easy to follow if it interested you, but I don't like the storyline, so I space out and it becomes incomprehensible.

I'd not even bother, but there are so few left.

Santos L Halper
10-01-2012, 10:09 PM
Ok, I can't recall if they've indicated what's going on with the other universe. In this future, is there still the other side with Fauxlivia, Walternate et al?

Snooooopy
10-02-2012, 02:17 AM
The musical ending didn't do anything for me. It really seemed kinda tacked on, as though they realized the episode was going to come up a couple of minutes short and threw something together in haste in order to fill it out. But I thought it was a pretty good episode otherwise.

Barkis is Willin'
10-02-2012, 09:34 AM
I don't think we know what's happening in the other universe. I'm pretty sure it still exists, because Lincoln crossed over to it permanently at the end of last season.

I don't get the observers. They can travel through space and time however they please, so why not take over the earth in the early stages of civilization when humans can put up the least resistance?

enalzi
10-02-2012, 12:37 PM
I don't think we know what's happening in the other universe. I'm pretty sure it still exists, because Lincoln crossed over to it permanently at the end of last season.

I don't get the observers. They can travel through space and time however they please, so why not take over the earth in the early stages of civilization when humans can put up the least resistance?

I think the whole point behind the "observing" was that they were trying to find the perfect time to come back. As for why they decided to do it now, I have no idea. Hopefully that gets explained.

Meltdown
10-02-2012, 01:33 PM
I think the whole point behind the "observing" was that they were trying to find the perfect time to come back. As for why they decided to do it now, I have no idea. Hopefully that gets explained.

Fanwank -- a lot was made about how the Observers couldn't breathe air that was "too pure." Perhaps they needed some base level of pollution and/or the existence of the technology required to build the machines that would finish the job.

Barkis is Willin'
10-02-2012, 01:45 PM
Oh yeah, what's all that about the clean air? The last episode involved shutting down some kid of air de-purifier or something. I don't remember that being mentioned before.

If their previous observation visits were really just scouting for optimum take over time, why did they target major events and catastrophes? Eh, I'm thinking too much.

N9IWP
10-10-2012, 05:45 AM
Some interesting between Etta going all Jack bauer and Olivia disaproving. Until the end couldn't figure out if the loyalist had a son or not.

So is the rest of the season going to be hunt the tapes?

Brian

edwards_beard
10-16-2012, 12:52 PM
This last episode was starting to remind me of Lost with watching the old tapes of Walter that had parts deteriorated. I was kind of expecting to see Dr Candle with an Orientation for hatch 7.

I don't know what it is...but for some reason, something doesn't sit right with me for Etta. I can't really put my finger on it yet, but I don't yet trust the character. I guess that will subside when they show what actually happened when she was separated from Olivia and Peter.

GuanoLad
10-17-2012, 12:01 AM
I don't know what it is...but for some reason, something doesn't sit right with me for Etta. I can't really put my finger on it yet, but I don't yet trust the character.I don't think Olivia trusts her.

mage-girl
10-27-2012, 10:45 AM
Considering we lost someone on Fringe last night! :(

The worst part was I felt kind of "meh" about it. I think this final season is losing me. By virtue of having a shortened season, they're having to move pretty fast, and I don't think I like it.

Too bad, the first few seasons rocked!

I am sad for the remaining characters, though. This is gonna suck for them.

What did you all think?

Mahaloth
10-27-2012, 11:32 AM
I don't know what it is...but for some reason, something doesn't sit right with me for Etta. I can't really put my finger on it yet, but I don't yet trust the character. I guess that will subside when they show what actually happened when she was separated from Olivia and Peter.

Well, I guess now we know she was good. Dead now, but good.

I liked the way they handled the whole death scene. Walter was especially good, even with only a few cuts to show his emotion.

I'm pumped up about the final episodes now. They've done a good job establishing motivation for our heroes. It kind of reminds me of Bill Adama seeing the picture of the little girl near the end of BSG and realizing they have to fight for her. The whole world is under threat, but it is now very personal for our Fringe folks.

I also loved the warehouse of previous Fringe incident, especially the porcupine guy. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Transformation)

Was the mouth closing up a previous-Fringe thingy? It seemed familiar.

Jormungandr
10-27-2012, 11:37 AM
Was the mouth closing up a previous-Fringe thingy? It seemed familiar.

From the episode "Ability (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ability_%28Fringe%29)"

enalzi
10-27-2012, 12:26 PM
So, in the video they watched, Walter said "You must accept the reversibility of all phenomenon." How much you want to bet that the plan involves resetting the timeline back to when Etta was a little girl, before the Observers showed up?

Tangent
10-27-2012, 01:24 PM
^Yep, that was my thought as well, and I'd be okay with that even though I normally don't like "reset buttons" in science fiction.

Santos L Halper
10-27-2012, 01:45 PM
I think it's lame storytelling to have the bad guy mortally wound Etta, go away so her parents can find her and have the emotional death scene, then they leave in time for the bad guy to come back.

randwill
10-27-2012, 02:06 PM
I thought the death was very sad, but I agree that having the Observer leave just long enough for them to have the emotional death scene was poor. The distance they needed to cover in the time shown, to get out of the range of the bomb, also seemed muddled.

randwill
10-27-2012, 02:11 PM
So, in the video they watched, Walter said "You must accept the reversibility of all phenomenon." How much you want to bet that the plan involves resetting the timeline back to when Etta was a little girl, before the Observers showed up?
As soon as she died I thought; there has to be some kind of time travel/alternate universe way to bring her back in the last episode. I'll bet the answer is in that basement storage room.

RikWriter
10-27-2012, 02:12 PM

I'm hoping. I mean, even if they win, who wants to live in that miserable fucking world they'll have left over?

randwill
10-27-2012, 02:15 PM
I was struck again, when hearing Walter say on one of the tapes, "Only you can save the world." that this has to be a shout out to viewers who also love adventure games.

twickster
10-27-2012, 05:34 PM
Merged duplicate threads.

simster
10-27-2012, 06:03 PM
Merged duplicate threads.

Seems appropriate given the show....

The bullet is the paradox - somehow future Olivia transports it back to the house as part of the plan so etta can find the bullet that Olivia left so that there could be all this emotion which helps turn the tide.

enalzi
10-27-2012, 08:05 PM
Seems appropriate given the show....

The bullet is the paradox - somehow future Olivia transports it back to the house as part of the plan so etta can find the bullet that Olivia left so that there could be all this emotion which helps turn the tide.

Err, that bullet was the one that Walter shot her with at the end of last season.

simster
10-27-2012, 08:53 PM
Err, that bullet was the one that Walter shot her with at the end of last season.

Do we know it was taht bullet? do we? do we?

(honestly entirely forgot about that episode, but seriously, this show needs to end so we can remember its glory days)

Deegeea
10-29-2012, 03:03 PM
Fringe is fun with interesting albeit incredibly inconsistent characters but I think it's getting too off the rails. It's a bad idea to do crazy things if you haven't any consistent underpinning plot-wise (which Fringe never has: the massive way that they use pretend science is really funny, but completely inconsistent from one episode to another).

I'm still trying to get over in season 4 where near the beginning, Bell from that time line had closed down a comparatively modest bio experiment saying that some things humans weren't meant to attempt and should be left to God, and by the end was going to re create the entire universe along what he considered improved lines.

Mahaloth
11-03-2012, 09:41 PM
Fringe's finale will be January 18. (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/02/fringe-season-5-series-finale-date_n_2067117.html?ref=topbar)

No discussion of yesterday's episode? I liked it, though I'm not sure what to make of Peter getting implanted with Observer tech.

Tangent
11-03-2012, 09:44 PM
Yeah, I wonder if Peter is ultimately going to sacrifice himself (again) to save the world and his family.

RikWriter
11-03-2012, 10:01 PM
Yeah, I wonder if Peter is ultimately going to sacrifice himself (again) to save the world and his family.

Well, last time, it was actually Walter that sacrificed Olivia. It would be nice if Walter would sacrifice himself this time.

simster
11-03-2012, 11:02 PM
Was it just me - or did the "Resist" posters featuring Etta only show up AFTER the turn a wormhole into a blackhole 'failure'?

I did love the quote - felt like a moment from the past

"You don't even know what you don't know"

Mahaloth
11-04-2012, 08:00 PM
Well, last time, it was actually Walter that sacrificed Olivia. It would be nice if Walter would sacrifice himself this time.

I've been predicting Walter sacrificing himself so Olivia and Peter(and the world) can undo what has been done by the observers. He feels responsible for so much and his death would be powerful.

Was it just me - or did the "Resist" posters featuring Etta only show up AFTER the turn a wormhole into a blackhole 'failure'?

I thought so, too. They made a point of showing Olivia noticing the "The Future is Order" signs before....and then she notices the resist signs at the end.

mage-girl
11-10-2012, 06:09 PM
Did you watch on Friday 11/9?

I felt bad when they went off and left Astrid. Uh, the poor thing doesn't even have a knife, you guys, and she certainly wouldn't be able to fight off an Observer!

But... Peter! Holy crap!

Tangent
11-10-2012, 06:14 PM
Yeah, I am constantly worried they're going to kill off Asteroid as we approach the home stretch of this series. Her twin in the other universe died, right? I know that doesn't mean our Astrid will die, too. I'm just trying to remember...

Peter's fight with the Observer was pretty bad-ass. He is becoming Neo. :)

RikWriter
11-10-2012, 07:10 PM
Peter's fight with the Observer was pretty bad-ass. He is becoming Neo. :)

When he started kicking the observer's ass, I turned to my wife and said in my best Laurence Fishburne "He is beginning to believe." :D

CarnalK
11-10-2012, 07:54 PM
However, with the Observer whose butt he kicked's comment and the Boss Observer's smirk, I surmise there's some side-effects Peter doesn't expect but they know will happen.

OMG, I know what it is. Peter is gonna lose all his hair. :faints:

randwill
11-10-2012, 08:21 PM
When Walter first entered that room that nobody had been in in twenty years and there was a lamp on the table turned on, I wondered if the people making this show even cared anymore.

Tangent
11-10-2012, 08:42 PM
Which room? Was it before he went into the pocket universe? Because inside the pocket universe it had only been days, not 20 years.

Mahaloth
11-10-2012, 08:45 PM
When Walter first entered that room that nobody had been in in twenty years and there was a lamp on the table turned on, I wondered if the people making this show even cared anymore.

:confused:

randwill
11-10-2012, 08:48 PM
Which room? Was it before he went into the pocket universe? Because inside the pocket universe it had only been days, not 20 years.
Yes, the room he entered before entering the pocket universe had a lit lamp on a table, seen as soon as he walks in.

mikews99
11-10-2012, 10:03 PM
And just after Walter enters that room, we hear the click of a light switch (though we don't see Walter move his arm), hence the lit lamp. It's likely the editor caught it and had foley insert the sound effect. I'm betting one of the grips thought, "Crap, the gaffer forgot about this lamp. Better light it up before he gets pissed."

Cat Whisperer
11-10-2012, 10:52 PM
Regarding The Matrix and Neo, we were noticing those strong similarities, too. Apparently Peter is The One. :D

Snooooopy
11-12-2012, 12:45 AM
I have to say, I had higher hopes for the pocket universe as far as how strange and unsettling it was going to be. I mean, I guess the show did a few things, but it mostly just looked like a slightly dingier copy of the regular universe. And it seemed like a waste to have the guy they found inside wind up as nothing more than target practice for the Observers.

Tangent
11-12-2012, 01:02 AM
The death of the guy in the pocket universe (Cecil--ha!) is weighing heavily on Walter. It is helping push him toward (I now believe) ultimately sacrificing himself to save the world.

D-bear
11-12-2012, 01:53 AM
I expected the Time Trapper to have Superboy hanging out somewhere. Color me dissapoint. Would have been tres cool! Pocket Universe (http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Pocket_Universe)

GuanoLad
11-12-2012, 05:16 AM
You remind me of a babe.
What babe?
The babe with the power.
What power?
The power of voodoo.
Who do?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of a babe.

Fenris
11-12-2012, 09:23 AM
This will never, in a million, billion years happen. But...y'know what would be cool? If douchy, selfish ("My grief is SO much more important than everyone else's!") ol' Peter*, by "infecting" himself with Observer tech ends up becoming the first Observer and turns bad, which is why the Observers were all that interested in him in the first place.

I mean, it's never been explained why Peter was so all-fired important to the Observers, was it? If he's their founder/father, it all makes sense. It also explains why they came back to NOW rather than, say, the 1840s when pollution (in the cities at least) was far worse. Because NOW is when Peter is and they can't screw up the timeline before he's born.

*I really don't like Peter as a character. Love the job the actor's doing with him though.

Barkis is Willin'
11-12-2012, 09:39 AM
Oh, good idea. Peter is the main, old bad Observer guy. I like it. A lot. Of course, that leads to a bit of circular logic as for when and how the tech was developed that creates Observers, but this show is nearly off the rails by now anyway.

CarnalK
11-17-2012, 10:44 AM
However, with the Observer whose butt he kicked's comment and the Boss Observer's smirk, I surmise there's some side-effects Peter doesn't expect but they know will happen.

OMG, I know what it is. Peter is gonna lose all his hair. :faints:

I totally called it! Of course, he's losing all his morality too. I doubt any viewers are surprised that this is the way the implant is affecting him.

Barkis is Willin'
11-19-2012, 10:44 AM
At this point, I'm pretty ceartain that Fenris is dead on with is theory above. Peter will become the first observer, possibly even Windmore (do they age?). I believe the preview for next week showed Windmore saying that everything that has happened so far was according to his plan. The observers did come from the future, right? So, shouldn't they know everything that's going to happen, anyway? Eh, overthinking it.

jackdavinci
11-19-2012, 12:03 PM
I mean, it's never been explained why Peter was so all-fired important to the Observers, was it?

The show has been somewhat contradictory on that matter. On the one hand, the nice Observer said that Peter and Olivia's child was important to the future. OTOH, she's dead now, the other Observers tried to keep Peter from existing, and in any case, the original timeline had Walternate saving Peter and keeping him in his own universe before the nice Observer distracted him.

My prediction remains that they will create some sort of time barrier that will prevent the Observers from traveling back in time at all, and reset the timeline entirely, saving Etta, and I suppose even making young Peter stay alive in the alternate universe, perhaps meeting our Olivia later in life to have Etta.

simster
11-19-2012, 12:52 PM
At this point, I'm pretty ceartain that Fenris is dead on with is theory above. Peter will become the first observer, possibly even Windmore (do they age?). I believe the preview for next week showed Windmore saying that everything that has happened so far was according to his plan. The observers did come from the future, right? So, shouldn't they know everything that's going to happen, anyway? Eh, overthinking it.

(bolding mine)

So, he's the emperor now?

Mahaloth
11-19-2012, 03:06 PM
I still see the ending like this:

1. Walter sacrifices himself, partly to stop himself from becoming the evil Walter he does not want to be.

2. Time is reversed and Peter and Olivia get child-Etta back, probably not aware of Walter's sacrifice.....maybe forgetting him altogether.

It'd be depressing enough and.....maybe make sense?

Walter dying in the finale makes a lot of sense to me no matter what. I'm not sure it'll happen, but I will not be surprised at all. He feels responsible and this season has had a lot of moments where he talks about his sadness and guilt.

BTEzra04
11-19-2012, 06:39 PM
I keep wishing that somehow they'll take that damn implant out of Peter's head. I can't stand who he's becoming.

Did Nina actually remove the pieces of Walter's brain, or was he simply begging her to?

Mahaloth
11-19-2012, 07:17 PM
Did Nina actually remove the pieces of Walter's brain, or was he simply begging her to?

Uh, I think she didn't. It certainly ruins my ending theory if he got them removed.

Am I right? He still has full intelligence, with a side of evil...right?

CarnalK
11-19-2012, 08:40 PM
I can't imagine they had time for brain surgery, even off camera. I think merely her answer of whether she was willing to do it was what was left ambiguous.

Buuuuut, with "The Man Who Sold the World" playing, I wonder if she didn't convinced him that it was worth it to become his old self.

Barkis is Willin'
11-20-2012, 03:46 PM
The show has been somewhat contradictory on that matter. On the one hand, the nice Observer said that Peter and Olivia's child was important to the future. OTOH, she's dead now, the other Observers tried to keep Peter from existing, and in any case, the original timeline had Walternate saving Peter and keeping him in his own universe before the nice Observer distracted him.

She's dead, but it was her death that drove Peter to implant himself with observer tech. Without her and her eventual death, Peter might have stayed on the high road.

BlackKnight
11-20-2012, 05:43 PM
Maybe Walter will have to do something worse than sacrifice himself. Maybe he will have to kill his own son.

If Peter is becoming the "first" Observer, and if Walter is still planning on stopping the Observers, something will have to give. This is especially poignant because Walter's love of his son is what started the whole ball of wax going in the first place. He threatened the existence of two universes for the sake of having a son; in penance he will have to let go of that son.

Mahaloth
11-20-2012, 07:19 PM
Maybe Walter will have to do something worse than sacrifice himself. Maybe he will have to kill his own son.

That would suck on a story level. I hope that doesn't occur.

BlackKnight
11-21-2012, 10:36 AM
Why do you think that would suck?

N9IWP
12-14-2012, 09:09 PM
Well, the Terry Gilliam sequence was certainly interesting.

Brian

randwill
12-14-2012, 09:36 PM
For me the most effective scene occurred in the first act. Walter comes into the lab and sees a frozen representation of himself passing thru the portal. He then sits down and starts watching what appears to be one of the old VHS tapes, except it's showing the rest of the team working on something. Then it's revealed that the team is really behind him working on something. THAT was trippy. It's been a long time since I did acid, but that sequence put me in the mind of someone who was.

Snooooopy
12-16-2012, 11:53 AM
I can't remember the last time that John Noble's Australian accent had snuck out quite as audibly as it did during one point in this episode. He's usually so good at keeping it under wraps that I rarely even think about his nationality.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.