PDA

View Full Version : Restaurant recommendation in Little Italy or Tribeca?

Rhythmdvl
02-11-2013, 09:29 AM
Haven’t been to Little Italy in years and years. Will be staying in Tribeca so it’s a close walk or we can stay local. Coming in to catch a concert with my folks (P-Funk, which may seem odd to take sixty-somethings to the Funk Mob, but they’re actually three years younger than George). Given that the weathermen are calling for a high chance of crapulence, we’d rather not do the usual walking around until we find something that suits.

Before hitting Yelp and the concierge I figured I’d hit up the Dope—where to go? Pricerange is anywhere from $50 to $100 per, though we can make an exception if a place is that good. Or fun—I remember an awesome family-style place in that was good to take people to. Bench-like tables. A wicker penis hanging from the ceiling. Hysterical, singing waiters (not Lucky Chengs, but tongue in cheek). Ring any bells?

Heading in tonight, so need-answer-kinda-fast-or-maybe-for-next-time-so-if-something-hits-you-later-so-be-it.

eclectic wench
02-11-2013, 09:43 AM
I'm not 100% clear on where the neighbourhood borderlines are, so ignore if these are too far from your hotel, but Boqueria on Spring Street (http://www.boquerianyc.com/soho.html) and Rosemary's (http://www.yelp.com/biz/rosemarys-enoteca-and-trattoria-new-york) are both utterly delicious.

Hello Again
02-11-2013, 09:51 AM
Sounds like you're describing Puglia's for the atmosphere. But to be honest, the food's no better than you can get anywhere. Of course that's true for everything in little Italy.

Rhythmdvl
02-11-2013, 10:45 AM
I think Puglia's is it! Good food + unique atmosphere trumps great food, but I'll see what they're in for. If they had a cold, harsh trip into the city then the more traditional way would likely be better.

ETA: we're at the Sheraton Tribeca, so Boqueria is within walking distance.

eclectic wench
02-11-2013, 11:20 AM
Boqueria has good atmophere, too - nothing unique like what you're describing, just lively and high-energy. If you go there, get the blistered peppers with sea salt. I mostly only like raw vegetables, but I could've eaten those all evening.

Gadarene
02-11-2013, 11:54 AM
If you feel like a change of pace from Italian food, Congee Village is nearby and has some great food, including their house chicken special (mmm, crispiness and garlic) and their razor clams in black bean sauce. My girlfriend and I go there every time we're staying in/near the Lower East Side.

(Also, if you're looking for somewhere to get good cocktails, I highly recommend Painkiller, which is a dive tiki bar that's pretty awesome.)

Rhythmdvl
02-11-2013, 12:35 PM
Hey Gadarene, how've you been?

Turns out Puglia's is closed for an event today. Bah. Will be sending site's menues around and see if anyone has a preference.

Gadarene
02-11-2013, 12:36 PM
Hey Gadarene, how've you been?

Turns out Puglia's is closed for an event today. Bah. Will be sending site's menues around and see if anyone has a preference.

Been good. Still in D.C. :) Still see a decent number of Section 3 people fairly regularly.

Rhythmdvl
02-11-2013, 02:02 PM
Awesome. I moved out of NYC several years ago, mostly doing policy consulting for UN aid agencies. (A?)Typical Doper--work from home, never leave, see just wife and kid. Idyllic. There's a local Afrobeat (http://www.chopteeth.com/)band that my old djembe teacher plays with in DC. Maybe catch a drink or two when we head down to catch him.

Say hi for me!

mcgato
02-11-2013, 02:49 PM
I've enjoyed Tribeca Grill, which should be near to the hotel.

Rhythmdvl
02-11-2013, 02:59 PM
Tribeca Grill is indeed fantastic!

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.