PDA

View Full Version : OSCAR POLL: Which performer would get your vote for Best Supporting Actor?

MovieMogul
02-11-2013, 04:30 PM
If you were an Academy member, for whom would you vote?

Skammer
02-11-2013, 04:47 PM
This is tough.

First of all, I didn't see The Master. It may be that PSH gave the best performance.

I really liked Jones' performance in Lincoln - but to be honest it just seemed very Jones-ish to me. As in not that different from most of the other characters he's played for the last 15 years.

Walz was great again, but not as great as he was in Inglorius Basterds. I think a lot of he greatness was due to the dialogue that Tarantino gave him.

That leaves De Niro and Arkin. Arkin was funny, and played well with John Goodman, but the role itself was kind of lightweight. Mostly comedy relief.

So my vote will be De Niro. Not his meatiest role ever, but he had an interesting character that showed a range of emotions and a couple of great scenes. Plus it was the kind of role you don't think of when you think of De Niro, which was nice.

So: I'm torn between Waltz and De Niro. I don't expect De Niro to win the award, but that's who would get my vote.

Rollo Tomasi
02-11-2013, 04:59 PM
This isn't my favorite category. All good actors, but Jones, Arkin, and Waltz seem like they're riffing on previous, similar, superior performances. De Niro is strong, and it's nice to see him not phoning it in for once, but as Skammer said, it doesn't feel like a really meaty role. Hoffman is by far the standout here for me.

KneadToKnow
02-11-2013, 05:43 PM
At present, I have only seen Silver Linings Playbook and The Master from this poll, but I always want Hoffman to win every Oscar he's nominated for.

Uncle Jocko
02-11-2013, 06:42 PM
I have not seen The Master, so I can't say anything about Hoffman (except that he's always great). I was blown away by Waltz in Django Unchained. He gave a tremendous performance, and he gets my vote.

Now, if Arkin and John Goodman got nominated as a team ... they were great together in Argo. Arkin alone, he was fine. Arkin and Goodman, genius. Speaking of which, is John Goodman in everything these days? I just watched Flight this weekend, and he's great in that, and I really enjoyed him in Trouble With The Curve, too. Not to mention his fine work as vice-dean of the air conditioner repair school in Community.

DeNiro was awfully good, in a complex role. Jones was top-notch as well (points off for the historically accurate but laughably obvious wig, though). I would rank them Waltz, Jones, DeNiro, then Arkin a ways below those three.

MovieMogul
02-11-2013, 07:14 PM
Now, if Arkin and John Goodman got nominated as a team ... they were great together in Argo. Arkin alone, he was fine. Arkin and Goodman, genius. Speaking of which, is John Goodman in everything these days? I just watched Flight this weekend, and he's great in that, and I really enjoyed him in Trouble With The Curve, too. Not to mention his fine work as vice-dean of the air conditioner repair school in Community.Don't forget he was in last year's Best Picture winner as well. Not many people have appeared in two-in-a-row, but if Argo wins, he'll join that select bunch.

MovieMogul
02-15-2013, 07:18 PM
weekend bump

NDP
02-16-2013, 12:12 AM
After looking at the poll, I was wondering if before this year the Academy Awards ever had a list of acting nominees that entirely consisted of people who had won previously.

SCAdian
02-16-2013, 12:39 AM
I haven't seen any of these movies, so I'll vote for Arkin because he should have won in '67.

Skammer
02-16-2013, 12:54 AM
I haven't seen any of these movies, so I'll vote for Arkin because he should have won in '67. Now that's holding a grudge.

Besides, he won for Little Miss Sunshine so that debt should be forgiven.

MovieMogul
02-17-2013, 09:12 PM
After looking at the poll, I was wondering if before this year the Academy Awards ever had a list of acting nominees that entirely consisted of people who had won previously.Never. A few categories came close (when Adrien Brody won, for example, he beat 4 previous Oscar winners), but this year is the first that a repeat winner is 100% guaranteed.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.